New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Cryptic Warning demo review from metal judgment by Joe/NotCommon on Jun 4,2004 7:52am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Jun 4,2004 7:52am
And here we are again for yet another demo review . . . this time it's Cryptic Warning, from Boston, home of such great (the term is being used loosely) bands as Candy Striper Death Orgy and Anal Cunt. Cryptic Warning manages to blend thrash and technical death metal together (albeit with an overbearing Pantera vibe) in an above average way. The songs are good, although occasionally a bit clumsily put together (even though some of the thrash parts sound a LOT like Aura Noir, a preferred band of mine).
Instrumentally, this demo is top notch. The drums are spot on, with quite a bit of clever cymbal work. The guitar work really shines in the solos, which sound like Kerry King or Dimebag Darrel playing along with Coroner, or any equally impressive tech-thrash band (not kidding). There are a few cool bass fills, and luckily not enough to be boring (bass shredding in death metal = wankery . . . I'm looking at you, Vile).

One thing I really enjoyed were the vocals. Normally, I HATE Phil Anselmo ripoff vocals, but vocalist/guitarist David Davidson manages to mix it up by sounding like Phil, Silenoz, and Chris Barnes. All in the same song. The only thing I found wrong with this demo was the mix. The vocals are THIS LOUD and everything else is this loud. This might have been my favorite demo that I've reviewed so far for MJ if it weren't for that one factor. Overall, if you're a fan of simple thrash or shreddy death metal, you will dig Cryptic Warning. And even then, you might not. Thrash 'til fucking death!

toggletoggle post by Josh_hates_you  at Jun 4,2004 10:39am
dave needs to work on vocal control ALOT. they are good kids making some good music. best of luck to them in recording their full length.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jun 4,2004 11:00am
those guys are a good band. i liked them when we played with them. i never knew that dude's name was david davidson. for anyone who appreciates shitty movies as much as i do, that was anthony michael hall's character's name in freddy got fingered.

toggletoggle post by Cryptic Anthony at Jun 4,2004 12:36pm
Thanks for posting this Joe. This is pretty much the biggest zine we've gotten a review from yet.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 4,2004 3:00pm
I agree that the vocals are TOO LOUD on the demo CD.

toggletoggle post by pessimist  at Jun 4,2004 10:44pm
i agree that cryptic warning fucking kills...

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are so smrt
[default homepage] [print][1:03:51pm Apr 26,2024
load time 0.01152 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]