New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> What books are you all reading? by retzam on Sep 15,2006 5:53pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by retzam at Sep 15,2006 5:53pm
I don't know if there's been a recent thread like this because I havn't really been checking the forum everyday, but what have all of you been reading? I just started Salem's Lot and I'm liking it so far (I've been meaning to read more Stephen King ever since I read Different Seasons). Before this, I read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (I think that's his name...) and that was a great story. Then before that I read a Jimi Hendrix biography called Hendrix. Very informative and enjoyable, but hard (for me) to read for an extended period of time. It was more of a read half of a chapter and put it down kind of thing. Probably cause there was a lot of information and it was hard to absorb it all or something. What's everyone reading?

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 15,2006 6:10pm
i have not enjoyed reading since i was in the 6th grade, but all of a sudden i've been going to book stores regularly and spending way too much time reading random stuff. something must be wrong with me, haha. i'm really only attracted to goofy books that have no purpose at all, such as:

The Useless Book of Information, presented by the Useless Information Society
Eating Your Auntie Is Wrong: The World's Strangest Customs by Stephen Arnott
and a book that i can't remember the exact title of, but it's something like The Hypochondriac's Guide to Terrible Diseases You Probably Already Have

I'm also interested in picking up the Lewis Black book, Nothing Sacred, and Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell

toggletoggle post by pam   at Sep 15,2006 6:14pm
I've been thinking about reading The Kite Runner.

I just finished 'New Rules' by Bill Maher, 'The Truth (With Jokes)' by Al Franken and to complete my comedy/politics trifecta I'm reading 'America: The Book' (Daily Show Presents) right now which I'm almost done with. Next up is 'The Time Traveler's Wife' and then probably 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. I go through a book a week lately because I'm a super-nerd.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Sep 15,2006 6:14pm
I was unaware Lewis Black had a book. I'm all over that.

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Sep 15,2006 6:20pm
pam said:
I was unaware Lewis Black had a book. I'm all over that.

yeah, it's friggin hilarious. the first page say something like "warning: if you are affiliated with any of the christian religions, you will be greatly offended by this book. there. i just saved you 13 dollars. don't say i never did anything for you!"

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Sep 15,2006 6:27pm
HST - Fear and Loathing in America : The Brutal Odyssey of an Outlaw Journalist

Henry Miller - Tropic of Capricorn

toggletoggle post by allahthat at Sep 15,2006 6:39pm
u dont wanna no.Zarathustra's secret. By a german prof.,translated by an english prof.,i mean from england.

toggletoggle post by poop at Sep 15,2006 7:32pm
farenheit 451

toggletoggle post by BSV at Sep 15,2006 7:37pm
last two books I read were
Rule By Secrecy - Jim Marrs
The Twelfth Planet - Z. Sitchin

now I'm reading Behold a Pale Horse - William Cooper

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Sep 15,2006 7:44pm
Man in the shadows, stiff, and parliment of whores.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Sep 15,2006 7:45pm
retzam, you are BSV always make threads like this.
awesome.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at Sep 15,2006 8:49pm
currently, "A People's History of the USA" by Howard Zinn. Last read were "Diary" and "Survivor" by CHuck Palahniuk, and "The Jesus Papers" by Michael Baigent. Also "Cat's Cradle" and "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut.

p.s. PAM ~ The Kite Runner was excellent

toggletoggle post by nate   at Sep 15,2006 8:50pm
I just finished reading an english translation of the Dhammapada.

toggletoggle post by Dar  at Sep 15,2006 8:56pm
I just read Robert Anton Wilson's Cosmic Trigger 1 and 2
Both great, fun, truly interesting books that I'd recommend to anyone who likes to think of themselves (haha) as a free thinker...second one's optional, first one's really great

Nietzsche's The Antichrist, don't know how I missed that one in high school
Jonathan Swift's Abolishing Christianity and other essays (it's cute)
G.I Gurdjieff's Meetings with Remarkable Men, picked this up because of what Wilson wrote about him, haven't made much progress so far
and finally...Rafael Sabatini's CAPTAIN BLOOD!!!

toggletoggle post by dugnli at Sep 15,2006 9:06pm
I'm start about to start World War Z by Max Brooks after I finish the current issue of Fangoria. Can't wait.

toggletoggle post by allahthat at Sep 15,2006 9:32pm
I reread The Antichrist in 1989. Most agree Nietzsche was well on his way to syphilitic megalomania by 1888, when he wrote it. Take it with a grain of salt.

toggletoggle post by Anthony nli at Sep 15,2006 9:35pm
I just read a couple of great books:

Cities in the Wilderness: A New Vision of Land Use in America - Bruce Babbit
The Log from the Sea of Cortez - John Steinbeck
and I reread The Hobbit, haha.

toggletoggle post by allahthat at Sep 15,2006 9:54pm
bored of the rings?

toggletoggle post by Abbath at Sep 16,2006 12:13am
not really a book but "Pride of Baghdad" by Brian K. Vaughan, it's a comic that just was releashed into a trade paperback, it's amazing, based on a true story (minus the animals talking) the US bombed a zoo in Baghdad freeing 4 lions into the streets, it's a story of their survival and what freedom really means.

toggletoggle post by Dar  at Sep 16,2006 4:14am
Nietzsche was well on his way to syphilitic megalomania the day he was born, dude.
I try to take everything I read with a grain of salt, but when it comes to Nietzsche I always enjoy his writing style (well, what of it survives the translation, who knows) more than his message. The words just jump off the page like Lewis Black's stand up delivery sometimes

toggletoggle post by CNV at Sep 16,2006 4:38am
The Redneck Manifesto

toggletoggle post by Troll at Sep 16,2006 5:31am
^Same as CNV, also just read the back of a Lysol can while torqin' one out on the shitter. Short read, but very informative. :-)

toggletoggle post by retzam at Sep 16,2006 9:14am
the_reverend said:
awesome.

Hahaha, yeah, well, people seem to like talking about what their reading, but no one thinks to make threads like this on a metal forum.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Sep 16,2006 9:15am
they're*

toggletoggle post by retzam at Sep 16,2006 9:20am
pam said:
I've been thinking about reading The Kite Runner.

I strongly recommend it. It really is a great story with lots of facets to think about.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Sep 16,2006 10:25am
Murph said:
currently, "A People's History of the USA" by Howard Zinn. Last read were "Diary" and "Survivor" by CHuck Palahniuk, and "The Jesus Papers" by Michael Baigent. Also "Cat's Cradle" and "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut.

p.s. PAM ~ The Kite Runner was excellent

I'm reading "A People's History of the USA" too, I usually read a few chapters in between my other books. I read "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James Lowen last spring, if you haven't read that, it's worth reading.

I've read Survivor, Fight Club, Lullaby, and Choke by Palahniuk. I love the way he writes but I stopped reading his stuff because the whole anti-hero plot got a little redundant. How was Diary??

Slaughterhouse 5 is on my list, too.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Sep 16,2006 10:27am
retzam said:
the_reverend said:
awesome.

Hahaha, yeah, well, people seem to like talking about what their reading, but no one thinks to make threads like this on a metal forum.

I knock people down to get to a book conversation. I rarely get one...most people I know aren't readers which is an unending disappointment.

toggletoggle post by Troll at Sep 16,2006 3:18pm
Howard Zinn is a kike not an anarchist.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Sep 16,2006 3:20pm
No one called him an anarchist...

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Sep 16,2006 3:38pm
i am currently half way through Fellowship of the Ring.

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at Sep 16,2006 3:48pm
Devil’s Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt

toggletoggle post by VoidExpression  at Sep 16,2006 3:52pm
Book threads are always fun, and you can't go wrong with A People's History of the US or Lies My Teacher Told Me. I'm reading Foundation and Earth (Asimov), The Shining, Dark Lord of Derkholm (Jones), and The Golden Bough (Frazer) and just finished Life of Pi, which I had been putting off for years but finally jumped on once I found out Jeunet was adapting it for film.

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at Sep 16,2006 3:54pm
If I read more than 1 book at a time ,My head will implode

toggletoggle post by Troll at Sep 16,2006 4:21pm
I realize no one said anything about him being an anarchist. I'm just blurting out cause I'm a piece shit.
I just think he's full of bullshit utopian ideas honey. Anarchism being one of them. Thats all. He'll never get his hands dirty.
I know my shit. I'm a well read hillbilly. ;-)

Skål!

toggletoggle post by Troll at Sep 16,2006 4:23pm
Oops! I forgot to quote you Pam!

toggletoggle post by pam   at Sep 16,2006 4:27pm
I have no idea what you're talking about.

toggletoggle post by Troll at Sep 16,2006 4:48pm
me either
nevermind

toggletoggle post by brian_dc nli at Sep 16,2006 4:56pm
reading an incredibly detailed biography of Che Guevara's life called "Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life" by Jon Anderson. I can't get over how thoroughly researched the book is. Also kind of picking at "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I need to read some good fiction soon, haven't read anything since I read about 4 books be Haruki Murakami...who rules.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Sep 16,2006 7:37pm
pam said:
retzam said:
the_reverend said:
awesome.

I knock people down to get to a book conversation. I rarely get one...most people I know aren't readers which is an unending disappointment.

My friends harass me to no end about my reading.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at Sep 17,2006 3:45pm
Pam, I think Diary is the most innovative book I've read by Palahniuk. The whole premise is just so counter to anything I've read, which is why I find it so odd the writers like Vonnegut and Palahniuk have appeared so closely (in a generational sense.) Chuck P. is brilliant to me because he paints vivid pictures of the things we either don't want to picture or just wouldn't think to picture (my opinion) and for me Diary is just a notch above his other works.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Sep 17,2006 4:02pm
John Fante - Full of Life

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Sep 17,2006 4:54pm
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
this book called Quietus
Soul Music by Terry Pratchett
Code of the Samurai by Thomas Cleary
Johnny Got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo

toggletoggle post by hungtableed at Sep 17,2006 6:54pm
I'm reading a heafty stack for school, but one title I am reading for my own enjoyment is:
The Political Zoo by Michael Savage

toggletoggle post by MikeOvDecrepitvde at Dec 27,2008 11:29am
After not having much time to read in the past few weeks, I've found myself perusing between my favorite works of Hawthorne, Thoreau, Lovecraft, Arthur Machen, and Goethe.

A trip to the bookstore seems to be in order.

toggletoggle post by guy at Dec 27,2008 11:45am
just started

the stand by stephe king

toggletoggle post by ancientmaster at Dec 27,2008 11:59am
white tiger - aravind adiga
supernatural - graham hancock
Tibetan Folk Tales - A.L. Shelton
the ocean of theospohy - william q. judge

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Dec 30,2008 9:23am
Charlie Papazian's "Joys of Homebrewing"

Jim Norton's "Happy Endings - The Tales of a Meaty Breasted Zilch" and "I Hate Your Guts"

Maddox's "The Alphabet of Manliness"

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 30,2008 9:31am
Finding Darwin's God - Kenneth R. Miller

After Dark - Haruki Murakami

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Dec 30,2008 9:36am
nothing currently, but I'm interested in buying both the Denis Leary book and the Artie Lange book

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Dec 30,2008 9:38am
Homer : Marge, I'm bored.
Marge : Why don't you read something?
Homer : Because I'm trying to _reduce_ my boredom.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Dec 30,2008 9:45am
RustyPS said[orig][quote]
nothing currently, but I'm interested in buying both the Denis Leary book and the Artie Lange book

both are on my "to buy" list

toggletoggle post by corpus_NLI at Dec 30,2008 9:58am
The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Internal Medicine - Maoshing Ni trans.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Dec 30,2008 10:01am
Moshing in Trains

toggletoggle post by Murph  at Dec 30,2008 10:24am
The Collected Works of T.S. Eliot
Chatterton - Peter Ackroyd
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell (beyond excellent)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 30,2008 10:29am
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin.

Shit is fucking epic. Nothing but war, kings fucking shit up, sex, and incest. so fucking good.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Dec 30,2008 10:30am

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Dec 30,2008 10:47am
Franny and Zooey - JD Salinger
You Get So Alone At Time That it Just Makes Sense - Charles Bukowski

I finished The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perotta a few weeks ago. Worth a read if you're into Perotta.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 30,2008 10:51am
the owl papers

toggletoggle post by pam   at Dec 30,2008 10:52am
The Picture Of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 30,2008 12:17pm
I am reading "Invincible" which is the ninth book in a nine book series in the star wars world. The series is called "legacy of the force" and it takes place when Luke Skywalkers son Ben is about 13-15years old, and Han Solo, and Leia Organa Solo's kids are both jedi. I just finished a 14 book star wars series called "the new jedi order" which is right before the current series in the timeline.

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Dec 30,2008 12:25pm
the road. second time, its even better. hope the movie does it justice

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 30,2008 1:32pm
ouchdrummer said[orig][quote]
I am reading "Invincible" which is the ninth book in a nine book series in the star wars world. The series is called "legacy of the force" and it takes place when Luke Skywalkers son Ben is about 13-15years old, and Han Solo, and Leia Organa Solo's kids are both jedi. I just finished a 14 book star wars series called "the new jedi order" which is right before the current series in the timeline.

Are those any good(maybe a stupid question since you just read 23 of them)? I tried reading some of the books, but with the exception of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy, I couldn't get into them.

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Dec 30,2008 1:57pm
just finished "gonzo"

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Dec 30,2008 2:00pm

toggletoggle post by sever at Dec 30,2008 2:40pm

Philosophy/ethics book that contemplates the futility of modern civilization and its inevitable collapse. Definitely a recommended read.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Dec 30,2008 2:56pm
moran said[orig][quote]
ouchdrummer said[orig][quote]

Are those any good(maybe a stupid question since you just read 23 of them)? I tried reading some of the books, but with the exception of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy, I couldn't get into them.

the Thrawn trilogy ruled!!!!
anyway, there are good and bad S.W. books.
i highly reccomend
Yoda: "Dark Rendevous"
Shadows of the Empire
The Rise of Lord Vader
Outbound Flight
and
Survivor's Quest

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 30,2008 5:39pm
the legacy of the force series is good, not great. the last one that i am reading now is fantastic. (invincible) The series is written by 3 authors, aaron allston, then a girl who i forget, then troy denning, and that order repeats two more times. If you can get through the books that she writes, the other 6 are great. The new new jedi order series is good from start to finish, and it's written by about 10 different authors, so the writting styles don't get too boring.... I read what most of you would call "smarter" books too, i read the entire (up to where it left off) Wheel of time series, and loved it, i read a lot of books, i just really like star wars.

toggletoggle post by elle at Dec 31,2008 8:30am
gaia project 2012
power vs force
the book of divinity
the healers manual
the origin of the devil.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Dec 31,2008 9:46am

toggletoggle post by cless at Dec 31,2008 11:24am
That's funny,I'm reading Shadows of the Empire now,and I just ordered the Dark Lord trilogy,and the the Darth Bane series.
Also reading,Neuromancer and Good Omens,after all of those I was thinking about Rendezvous with Rama

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 31,2008 11:35am
I didn't like the Darth Bane book. It seems really juvenile.

After I finish those Martin books, and then finally read Children of Dune, I'm gonna move to Shadows of the Empire.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 31,2008 11:59am
I read those George Martin books. They are fucking awesome. The last one... i think it was a feast of crows... or something like that... anyways, it wasn't out when i read the other ones, did you read that one yet? Is it as good as the earlier ones?

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 31,2008 12:04pm
Its sitting at my house, waiting to be read. From what I read about it, its just as good as the others. I'm finishing up Clash of Swords now. There's going to be three more books too. I hope he doesn't die before he finishes them. I was a little hesitant in starting to read them, being that they are very long books, but I'm so glad I did. Lots of musical inspiration in there.

toggletoggle post by Threat at Dec 31,2008 12:08pm
Demons by fyodor dostoevsky just got it on christmas.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 31,2008 12:09pm
Ya, that's books are really good. I think i might have to re-read them. It's been probably 8 years since i read them.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Dec 31,2008 12:29pm
moran said[orig][quote]
I didn't like the Darth Bane book. It seems really juvenile.

After I finish those Martin books, and then finally read Children of Dune, I'm gonna move to Shadows of the Empire.

i haven't read the bane book yet.
i heard good things....but i guess it depends on taste.

i also read a pretty decent book on Darth Maul....but i read it a few years back and forgot the fuckin title!

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 31,2008 12:36pm
Its not bad, just very simple. I think I just expected more.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 31,2008 12:38pm
Moran- You haven't read any of the new jedi order, or the legacy of the force series yet? They really are worth reading. How about the Wheel of time series.

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 31,2008 12:45pm
None of those. I'll have to check those out next. NJO is the really long series right? About Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order?

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 31,2008 12:46pm
yeah, its great. The occupation of Borealis is wonderful, and Jaina/Jacen Solo are badass as hell.

toggletoggle post by moran   at Dec 31,2008 12:49pm
Nice. I wish I didn't already spend my Barnes & Noble gift card. I'll look into those. But, I'm out of here, work just let us out for the weekend.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Dec 31,2008 1:00pm
yah, i am about 2 minutes from being let out.

toggletoggle post by lbpvdnli at Dec 31,2008 1:11pm
Clive Barkers new book "Mister B. Gone" its awesome

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Dec 31,2008 1:11pm
swamp thing

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Dec 31,2008 2:37pm
The Global Bell Curve

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Dec 31,2008 2:58pm
Too Fat to Fish - Artie Lange

toggletoggle post by DomesticTerror at Dec 31,2008 3:21pm
stephen king - just after sunset
and i've been thinking of digging out the dark elf trilogy. it's been so long...

toggletoggle post by MetalThursday  at Dec 31,2008 3:27pm

toggletoggle post by sinofangels-ray  at Dec 31,2008 3:33pm
Stephen king's Desperation

toggletoggle post by boine (NLI) at Dec 31,2008 3:38pm
Glen Cook The Black Company

toggletoggle post by yddraig nli at Dec 31,2008 10:07pm
Dante's inferno

awesome,even for being written in the 1300's

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Jan 1,2009 12:29am
Of wolves and men.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 1,2009 9:57am

Re-reading. Best book written in the last 50 years.

toggletoggle post by INADC nli at Jan 1,2009 10:46am
last book I read:

should start re-reading it soon...

toggletoggle post by Mess at Jan 1,2009 11:03am
i'm still reading A Million Little Pices by James Frey. It's a good book even though the author is a liar. I think he made himself out to be a badder ass than he really is, yar.

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Jan 1,2009 12:42pm
yddraig%20nli said[orig][quote]
Dante's inferno

Can you reccomend any worthy versions for me? I've been wanting to read that but every time I go to the bookstore, they have so many different versions with various editions and translated and modernized versions and whatnot I don't know which one to get!

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 1,2009 1:03pm
INADC%20nli said[orig][quote]
last book I read:

should start re-reading it soon...

I'm reading this on and off, too. Hitchens is the man.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 1,2009 1:05pm
I just requested The Road by Cormac McCarthy from paperbackswap.com, everyone keeps telling me to read it.

toggletoggle post by DomesticTerror at Jan 1,2009 1:19pm
pam said[orig][quote]
I just requested The Road by Cormac McCarthy from paperbackswap.com, everyone keeps telling me to read it.

read it. best book i read last year.

toggletoggle post by DomesticTerror at Jan 1,2009 1:25pm
Ryan_M said[orig][quote]
yddraig%20nli said[orig][quote]
Dante's inferno

Can you reccomend any worthy versions for me? I've been wanting to read that but every time I go to the bookstore, they have so many different versions with various editions and translated and modernized versions and whatnot I don't know which one to get!

try and dig up the translation by elio zappulla, published by vintage. after each canto is an explanation of all references, culture, and all things relevant line by line. i have never found his translations of purgatorio or paradisio, but you just reminded me to look again.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Jan 1,2009 4:02pm
Sextrology

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Jan 1,2009 4:22pm
Goethe's Faust

toggletoggle post by Kadoogan at Jan 2,2009 9:35am
thegreatspaldino said[orig][quote]

might be my favorite book ever.

Anyone who likes Chuck Palahniuk should immediately go find anything they can by Philip Wylie. He doesn't get as gruesome but his style is a definite precursor to Palahniuk. I think he was writing from the 30's to the 60's. Mad man.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 2,2009 10:26am
Paul%20CNV said[orig][quote]
Goethe's Faust

Now that is a GREAT (better than good) book.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Jan 2,2009 4:57pm
The Assist by Neil Swidey

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 2,2009 10:37pm
Kadoogan said[orig][quote]
thegreatspaldino said[orig][quote]

might be my favorite book ever.

Anyone who likes Chuck Palahniuk should immediately go find anything they can by Philip Wylie. He doesn't get as gruesome but his style is a definite precursor to Palahniuk. I think he was writing from the 30's to the 60's. Mad man.

I like some of Chuck's books... I'll check him out, thanks!

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 2,2009 10:38pm
I just got The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the mail today. I gotta finish up a few books before I start it, anyone else read it?

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jan 2,2009 11:13pm
Yes, it's a turd.

toggletoggle post by BOBDEAD at Jan 2,2009 11:17pm
The Road-Cormac McCarthy
The Living Dead-various compilation of horror writers
the wavering knife-Brian Evenson
the Conqueror worms-brian keene
the marijuana chef cookbook-s.t.oner

toggletoggle post by bradmann in maine at Jan 2,2009 11:24pm

toggletoggle post by deadlikemurf  at Jan 3,2009 5:29am edited Jan 3,2009 5:30am

same guy that wrote No Country for Old Men... so fucking good.

toggletoggle post by Kadoogan at Jan 3,2009 10:08am
pam said[orig][quote]
I just got The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time in the mail today. I gotta finish up a few books before I start it, anyone else read it?

I loved it. It's the funniest and saddest damn thing I think I've ever read. Super quick read, too.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 3,2009 10:44am
Conservationist said[orig][quote]
Yes, it's a turd.

Tragic lack of pointing out other races' inferiority for you?

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 3,2009 10:44am
Kadoogan said[orig][quote]
pam said[orig][quote]

I loved it. It's the funniest and saddest damn thing I think I've ever read. Super quick read, too.

Sweet.

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Jan 3,2009 11:04am
Who wants to buy $60 worth of Borders books gift cards for $50? YAY!!!

toggletoggle post by christopher at Jan 3,2009 12:42pm
This morning I read half of

But it's been kinda useless to me so far. Maybe I should of read a newer book.

toggletoggle post by dogbitedavehumphreys at Jan 3,2009 8:13pm
pam said[orig][quote]

I would strongly recommend Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy to anyone who is into apocalyptic suffering.

toggletoggle post by BOBDEAD at Jan 4,2009 2:41am
I'm gonna pick that up next..."The Road" was great also...totally bleak
and brutal. I'm reading a compilation called "Wastelands:stories of the Apocalypse"right now thats pretty good too if you like end of the world
stories.

toggletoggle post by mikeovdecrepitvde at Jan 11,2009 3:09pm
Bleak and obscene literature for a dismal, snowed in day.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 11,2009 4:02pm
BOBDEAD said[orig][quote]
I'm gonna pick that up next..."The Road" was great also...totally bleak
and brutal. I'm reading a compilation called "Wastelands:stories of the Apocalypse"right now thats pretty good too if you like end of the world
stories.

I'm probably starting it tonight...RTTP BOOKCLUB!!

toggletoggle post by pam   at Jan 11,2009 4:03pm
dogbitedavehumphreys said[orig][quote]
pam said[orig][quote]

I would strongly recommend Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy to anyone who is into apocalyptic suffering.

Thanks, dude. I've got it on my wishlist.

toggletoggle post by Sewer Goddess at Jan 11,2009 7:53pm
CNV said[orig][quote]
The Redneck Manifesto

I enjoyed reading the Answer Me! issues more than both of his books. Recently I've been reading 'Teenage Wasteland' by Donna Gaines, whom I found out about through Jim Goad. It's pretty interesting and based on the shitty underside of white teen life in the suburbs during the early 90's. Though the teens are seemly into crap musically, she makes mention of Big Black and Test Dept. which is enough for me

Next on the must read list: Standing in Two Circles.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jan 11,2009 7:59pm
How about "I hope they serve beer in hell", it wasn't a literary masterpiece... like all the starwars books i read, but it was funny as hell.

toggletoggle post by Sewer Goddess at Jan 11,2009 8:01pm
mikeovdecrepitvde said[orig][quote]
Bleak and obscene literature for a dismal, snowed in day.

I NEED TO READ THIS AS WELL !!!!!!! I haven't been able to find it any cheaper than $60 anywhere.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][6:39:29pm Apr 26,2024
load time 0.06728 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]