New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Metalcore....... by BlackoutRick on Jun 20,2006 8:26pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Jun 20,2006 8:26pm
I think the bands that are being called metalcore these days all sound like they worship Slaughter of the Soul. I like that album but these bands today totally piss me off. When I was younger, bands like Integrity (my fav), All Out War, Merauder, etc. were being called metalcore. They were basically hardcore bands that were fuckin heavy. But I stress the word hardcore for those bands cuz that's what they are.

Todays "metalcore" bands have no hardcore whatsoever in them in my opinion. At the Gates was being called melodic death so that is what these bands essentially are. But they all sound very much alike and it must stop. Teach the kids not to buy/download this fuckin rubbish. That is all.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Jun 20,2006 8:32pm
Anyone? WTF!!

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 20,2006 8:37pm
This entire thing started with Slayer breakdowns and Slaughter of the Soul.

At the Gates, however, did not splice their melodic death metal with radio-friendly pop punk choruses, soul singing, and fashioncore.

They also didn't suck.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 20,2006 8:47pm
welcome to 8 years ago, bro.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 20,2006 8:49pm
yeah, this is now. where anything that you don't like you can just refer to as metalcore ignorantly.

toggletoggle post by Hooker nli at Jun 20,2006 8:50pm
blah blarblah what?

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 20,2006 8:52pm
We were actually discussing this at ExAgenda cookout today, how there was actually once metalcore that we all liked (Botch, Converge, Drowningman, etc), and how now it's become a dirty word to refer to the Ozzfest/Sounds of the Underground-sect.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 20,2006 9:06pm
It's hilarious to watch Headbangers Ball and see the commercials for all the screamy metalcore with the Hitler hairdo's and every band is playing the same breakdown, the Victory and Trustkill bands.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jun 20,2006 9:38pm
Mosh

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 20,2006 9:42pm
Headbangers ball comercials are the worst for shitty bands. But this trend will be over with soon enough. Then it's on to the next one. Maybe it will be a grunge type thing and heavy music won't be cool anymore. I only wish.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 20,2006 9:47pm
I only go to concerts to mosh and be ironic.

Metalcore suits me just fine.

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 20,2006 9:49pm
I like to fold my arms at shows and look like I'm bored to be there.
I'm more of an Emo fan.

toggletoggle post by renotsnon<<< at Jun 20,2006 10:04pm
kevord said:
Headbangers ball comercials are the worst for shitty bands. But this trend will be over with soon enough. Then it's on to the next one. Maybe it will be a grunge type thing and heavy music won't be cool anymore. I only wish.

Some are predicting a slide to more commercial stoner/doom bands. I honestly dont think America (and the world) has the "patience" to listen to mid paced and slower bands. Good thing, though.

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 20,2006 10:06pm
I never thought metalcore would be as mainstrean as it is. These things happen.

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jun 20,2006 10:07pm
Emo Phillips is pretty funny.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 20,2006 10:07pm
The stoner/rock invasion is definitely on the rise, which is how a band like Wolfmother can become famous essentially overnight.

toggletoggle post by renotsnon<<< at Jun 20,2006 10:11pm
I honestly think Wolfmother is an isolated case. They really dont represent the darker/depressed side of stoner/doom. Plus, "Woman" is really more upbeat. I'm talking about gruely tempos.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 20,2006 10:13pm edited Jun 20,2006 10:13pm
I doubt the heavier stuff is ever going to be mainstream. To most people (as in, outside the metal community), Queens of the Stone Age and Wolfmother are what they know as stoner rock.

Which is why we need to beat them over the head with Electric Wizard as often as possible.

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 20,2006 10:17pm
Well That's it. If stoner/doom is the next mainstream it will just be a watered down version. I can see that happening.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 20,2006 10:26pm
metalcore's got AT LEAST another 5 years in the pop metal spotlight. to 90% of the mainstream metal audience, its the most insanely fresh and exciting thing theyve ever seen.

heavy doom/stoner wont get too popular. its too depressed. anger sells, not depression.

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 20,2006 10:34pm
Depression sells. Look at gay bands like staind.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 20,2006 10:36pm
Thou shalt never speak that name again.

toggletoggle post by kevord  at Jun 20,2006 10:37pm
Sorry. It hurt me to say it.

toggletoggle post by Anthony nli at Jun 20,2006 10:50pm
stoner/doom is alot more tolerable than most metalcore. gets boring to me after a while though.

toggletoggle post by crisis  at Jun 20,2006 10:58pm
at least it's not numetal!

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Jun 20,2006 11:50pm
One thing I notice about metalcore CD's I see in stores, is that they ALL have a sticker on the front that compares the group to similar bands, and they all say the same thing: "For fans of LAMB OF GOD, KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SLAYER, HATEBREED, and SHADOWS FALL".

When I see that list, I know I'm looking at an album containing music played by emotionally fragile, sexually confused, cross dressing weenies, that only a 13 year old whose parents just grounded for a week after catching him using their digital camera to take half nude pictures of himself in the bathroom for his myspace, could truly relate to.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jun 21,2006 12:34am
another groundbreaking thread courtesy of RTTP

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 12:34am
We get it. You're far superior to all of us. Why not go listen to your metalcore records and forget we exist?

toggletoggle post by pam nli at Jun 21,2006 7:16am
I'm thinking this is Rick's stand against everyone calling his band metalcore.

toggletoggle post by Messerschmitt at Jun 21,2006 7:24am
pam nli said:

toggletoggle post by watchmaker666  at Jun 21,2006 7:32am
groundwork, acme, unbroken, threadbare, undertow, all bands that were combining metal and hardcore in the early 90's all awsome metalcore bands before it was a dirty word

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 7:34am
Groundwork was pretty sick, I remember seeing those guys, Undertow, and Threadbare.

toggletoggle post by watchmaker666  at Jun 21,2006 9:19am
If you haven't heard Acme yet you should really check them out, unbelievable heavy for the time, Starkweather was another early 90's band that was really blurring the lines at the time. I'm not sure if some of the younger guys realise but before these bands existed Metal and Hardcore were like oil and water they just didn't mix so this stuff was revolutionary at the time

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:29am
I've heard Acme. Starkweather was great, I think I like them better live than on disc.

I was even in some of these early metalcore bands (Alert/Swivel, etc).

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 9:31am
I loved Starkweather!!!

I remember when Hardcore bands started mixing in Metal influence. Those were the good 'ol days.

I think it's time for a retro-revival band...

anyone?

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jun 21,2006 9:39am
watchmaker666 said:
If you haven't heard Acme yet you should really check them out, unbelievable heavy for the time, Starkweather was another early 90's band that was really blurring the lines at the time. I'm not sure if some of the younger guys realise but before these bands existed Metal and Hardcore were like oil and water they just didn't mix so this stuff was revolutionary at the time

Huh?
Now I KNOW you are old enough to have been around for the crossover.
That was years before the early 90's.
DRI, COC, SOD, Suicidal Tendencies, any of that ring a bell?

I always thought bands like Starkweather were gay when everyone else was raving about them. I guess I was the first person to hate metalcore.

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jun 21,2006 9:40am
DrinkHardThrashHard said:
I've heard Acme. Starkweather was great, I think I like them better live than on disc.

I was even in some of these early metalcore bands (Alert/Swivel, etc).

Do you know Rick Brosco by any chance?

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 9:41am
I do, I went to high school with him.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:41am
Crossover was definitely before metalcore, I think he was just referring to that specific set of bands: Encounter, Groundwork, Lincoln, Starkweather, Threadbare, Bloodlet, Chillmark, etc.

I think Starkweather is honestly better live, the CDs are pretty boring.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:42am edited Jun 21,2006 9:44am
Rick Brosco sounds familiar, but I don't think I ever knew him very well. He was probably, 3-5 years behind me in school Mark? Can't remember.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 9:44am
he was always hanging out with Nick Campeola at shows. was good friends will all the kids in bands at MHS and ALWAYS at the Red Barn

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:46am edited Jun 21,2006 9:48am
The Red Barn. Oh man. Cave In, Converge, Dive, Swivel, Alert, Piebald, Trees Without Leaves, .357 Noise, so many...

I remember that broad tried to hump band members.

We'd better not reminisce too much, some Johnny-come-lately emocore kids might criticize us for talking about the past.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 9:48am
pffft, fuck 'em.

I smell a reminiscent thread brewing... and maybe a throwback band shortly there after...

hmmm

toggletoggle post by watchmaker666 nli at Jun 21,2006 9:49am
Youre right Josh but the crossover thing was just such a different sound, But I did love all those bands as well. All Im trying to say is that late 80's early 90's was a great time for heavy music becuase people were experimenting with alot of shit and breaking down alot of walls but people just built them right back up

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jun 21,2006 9:49am
Haha, I heard some fucked up shit about Piebald.
It wasn't only their music that was gay.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:50am
Yeah, the walls are firmly in place.

I remember I was in a fake sXe/vegan band called Force of Nature with people from Cave In. Hilarious. We should have played a gig.

toggletoggle post by watchmaker666 nli at Jun 21,2006 9:50am
Force of Nature. LOL

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:51am
Josh_Martin said:
Haha, I heard some fucked up shit about Piebald.
It wasn't only their music that was gay.

Andy (bass) is a great guy.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 9:52am

who, Maralyn from Catch the Wave? the chick that owned the skateshop and put on most of those shows?

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:52am
watchmaker666 nli said:
Force of Nature. LOL

It was absolutely hilarious. It was basically an Earth Crisis parody.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:53am
DreamingInExile said:

who, Maralyn from Catch the Wave? the chick that owned the skateshop and put on most of those shows?

Yep.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 9:54am
hahaha, it wasn't only band members...

she hit on everyone, and her daughter was far cuter then she was (and the same age as most of us haha)

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 9:57am
I wouldn't even know if someone hit on me back then, because I was a totally pathetic dweeb.

So, basically, nothing has changed except for college turning me into a whore.

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jun 21,2006 9:59am
watchmaker666 nli said:
Youre right Josh but the crossover thing was just such a different sound, But I did love all those bands as well. All Im trying to say is that late 80's early 90's was a great time for heavy music becuase people were experimenting with alot of shit and breaking down alot of walls but people just built them right back up

I loved all those crossover bands at the time too.
But looking back and seeing where everything went, I kinda wish it never happened. It went too far.
The day "crossover" became "metalcore" was a bad day.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 10:00am edited Jun 21,2006 10:02am
And the bad days have never stopped since.

I just can't get over that a lot of the metalcore bands back then were referred to as emo. Look at emo now. Insane.

This thread needs more talk about FUCT

toggletoggle post by watchmaker666 nli at Jun 21,2006 10:14am
What blows me away is the current "metalcore" bands are fucking huge! Like rockstar selling out arenas huge! it makes no fucking sense to me

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 21,2006 10:16am
watchmaker666 nli said:
What blows me away is the current "metalcore" bands are fucking huge! Like rockstar selling out arenas huge! it makes no fucking sense to me

And honestly, I think it confuses the people in bands that are doing it, too. These are bands that were mid-level local bands like 2 years ago and now after touring for a year and a half or so are the big shit....crazy.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 10:20am
Trends man, overnight success. Right place, right time, right scene. It has always been like this. You'll have your hard working bands who get a break and then your instant stars who just happen to fit the demand at the moment.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 21,2006 10:22am
yeah, it doesn't make it any less ridiculous to the people in bands in some cases. I mean, I know for a fact that there are people in Bury Your Dead who had HOPED that they would never get as big as they did...the band started as a joke to see how many mosh parts they could put into songs. Ugh...so horrible.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 10:24am
I'm basically looking at it as boy bands, but with guitars, who grew up on Slayer, hardcore and In Flames/Slaughter of the Soul, and threw in some radio friendly elements because they weren't getting very far without them.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 21,2006 10:25am
yeah, it's all just pop. Sucks that they've adopted the name of a once legitimate genre. Give it a few more years and it'll be gone...people are too fickle for something based on metal to stay big.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 10:29am
People can do whatever they want. I can't stand some of these bands but how can I begrudge them? Unearth worked their asses off for years to get in their position.

The big problem I've always had is that when the general public thinks of 'metal', they are only thinking of the Ozzfest-bred Icons they see on TV. Ask any random person about metal, they might know Maiden, Metallica, or Slayer, but they are most likely to say "You mean like that band Killswitch Engage?" or "Avenged Sevenfold?"

I guess it has always been this way to some degree, but for once I'd like someone to answer "Kreator" or "Vader". Never gonna happen.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 21,2006 10:32am
all good points

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jun 21,2006 10:53am
blue said:
welcome to 8 years ago, bro.

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 10:59am
Still relevant today though.

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jun 21,2006 11:23am
People can do whatever they want. I can't stand some of these bands but how can I begrudge them? Unearth worked their asses off for years to get in their position.

The big problem I've always had is that when the general public thinks of 'metal', they are only thinking of the Ozzfest-bred Icons they see on TV. Ask any random person about metal, they might know Maiden, Metallica, or Slayer, but they are most likely to say "You mean like that band Killswitch Engage?" or "Avenged Sevenfold?"

I guess it has always been this way to some degree, but for once I'd like someone to answer "Kreator" or "Vader". Never gonna happen.

Its the same shit as 20 years ago when the general public thought of Ratt and Poison when you said "metal"
Todays metalcore is just yesterdays glam metal.

Fuck the mainstream. Who cares what they think.
When the masses get turned on to something, its days are numbered.
Once something becomes a viable way to earn a living, it turns to shit.

Keep metal underground!

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 11:25am
This is all true.

People definitely called the glam stuff metal too.

toggletoggle post by Morbid_Mike at Jun 21,2006 11:47am
BlackoutRick said:
I think the bands that are being called metalcore these days all sound like they worship Slaughter of the Soul. I like that album but these bands today totally piss me off. When I was younger, bands like Integrity (my fav), All Out War, Merauder, etc. were being called metalcore. They were basically hardcore bands that were fuckin heavy. But I stress the word hardcore for those bands cuz that's what they are.

Todays "metalcore" bands have no hardcore whatsoever in them in my opinion. At the Gates was being called melodic death so that is what these bands essentially are. But they all sound very much alike and it must stop. Teach the kids not to buy/download this fuckin rubbish. That is all.

Now Rick your first mistake was calling At The Gates "Melodic Death Metal" They my friend are swedish Death Metal and along with others started the form of music we Americans must call Melodic Death Metal because we are not from Sweden or you have a band that gives proper credit where it is due like Fragments who call thier music Swedish Styled Death Metal.Also At The Gates stopped before they ended up like In Flames and Soilwork (thank satan!) But none of this matters cause In Thy Dreams is fucking the sickest swedish death metal ever (not really but they are damn good)

toggletoggle post by watchmaker666  at Jun 21,2006 11:48am
true but the glam bands looked and sounded so different, this new shit is like a wolf is sheep's clothing

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 21,2006 11:58am
or a sheep in wolf's clothing

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 12:01pm
Morbid_Mike said:
BlackoutRick said:

Now Rick your first mistake was calling At The Gates "Melodic Death Metal" They my friend are swedish Death Metal and along with others started the form of music we Americans must call Melodic Death Metal because we are not from Sweden or you have a band that gives proper credit where it is due like Fragments who call thier music Swedish Styled Death Metal.Also At The Gates stopped before they ended up like In Flames and Soilwork (thank satan!) But none of this matters cause In Thy Dreams is fucking the sickest swedish death metal ever (not really but they are damn good)

That's not a mistake, At the Gates was also referred to as melodic death metal as early as their second album, certainly by Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul.

toggletoggle post by DreamingInExile   at Jun 21,2006 12:01pm
brian_dc said:
or a sheep in wolf's clothing

how about a boy in girls clothing? the whole 'fashoncore' thing just doesn't make sense to me

toggletoggle post by DrinkHardThrashHard  at Jun 21,2006 12:03pm
watchmaker666 said:
true but the glam bands looked and sounded so different, this new shit is like a wolf is sheep's clothing

Well, they didn't sound too different from a lot of the NWOBHM bands of that era (some of them WERE NWOBHM bands). I mean, today, yes, definitely different.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Jun 21,2006 1:05pm
pam nli said:

Wow. I can't win with this woman!! We are influenced by Machine Head(burn my eyes and the more things change obviously), Fear Factory, Integrity, and Acid Bath. My lead guitarist likes Slayer and Death so he leans towards thrash in his playing. Don't go by the myspace music cuz we recorded that in 04 and it came out kinda nu-metal sounding. Sorry about that. The only way to judge us is live so step the fuck up and do some shows with us.

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Jun 21,2006 1:08pm
chug chug chug chug single chord chugging rules.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 21,2006 1:13pm

toggletoggle post by LtdEc-1000  at Jun 21,2006 1:24pm
was that really necessary?

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jun 21,2006 1:26pm
This entire thing started with Slayer breakdowns and Slaughter of the Soul.

At the Gates, however, did not splice their melodic death metal with radio-friendly pop punk choruses, soul singing, and fashioncore.

They also didn't suck.

The first "Slayer breakdowns" I can remember being incorporated into hardcore was by Brotherhood, from WA state back in the day. My old band (Hearing Impaired) played with them when they were on tour with the Accused (at the Rat in Kenmore sq.)...HOLY SHIT!!! It was fucking innovative back then, and frowned upon by the H.C. purists, but motherfucker the place went totally hoopy, and it was cool then....now it's a cliche, like everything else becomes over time.

toggletoggle post by pam nli at Jun 21,2006 2:30pm
BlackoutRick said:
pam nli said:

Wow. I can't win with this woman!! We are influenced by Machine Head(burn my eyes and the more things change obviously), Fear Factory, Integrity, and Acid Bath. My lead guitarist likes Slayer and Death so he leans towards thrash in his playing. Don't go by the myspace music cuz we recorded that in 04 and it came out kinda nu-metal sounding. Sorry about that. The only way to judge us is live so step the fuck up and do some shows with us.

Your English comprehension skills are unbearable. I have seen you live, you played with The Accursed before, so we can retire that now. Most importantly I never said your band was metalcore, I said it seems this is your reaction to everyone calling it so. Way to read.

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Jun 21,2006 2:31pm
NUMETAL IN THE HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZ OUSE !!!!!!!!!!!1

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Jun 22,2006 12:16pm
The only real hardcore elements in metalcore these days are breakdowns (for most bands) and the vocals. I personally just consider it American Melodic Death Metal myself. I know a lot of the sound the same, but there really are some good sounding solid ones that are completely original, my favorites being Bleeding Through (old stuff), All That Remains, and newer As I Lay Dying.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Masturbating Satanic Weasel
[default homepage] [print][7:01:17am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.09452 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]