New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> pelican tonight by Joe/NotCommon on Jul 24,2005 9:20am
Add To All Your Pages!
Jul 24, 2005 Middle East (Cambridge, Ma)
big_business - 2005-07-24
Big Business(51)
flash animated slider show
kayo_dot - 2005-07-24
Kayo Dot(34)
pelican - 2005-07-24
Pelican(107)
the_panthers - 2005-07-24
The Panthers(57)
toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Jul 24,2005 9:20am
who wants to give me a ride home?

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Jul 24,2005 9:38am
my flyer for tonight's pelican show:

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 24,2005 10:20am
whoah... what? where?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 24,2005 10:23am
fuck.
Pelican, Big Business (ex-Karp, ex-Murder City Devils), Panthers, Kayo Dot @ the middle east.
fuck.
why don't people put shows like this on my events page so I know about them.
fuck.
I need to shoot pelican.

toggletoggle post by insipidzombie  at Jul 24,2005 10:29am
I'll be there! the new Pelican album is brilliant. I can't wait to pick up a proper copy on Tuesday (or at the show)

but sorry Joe, I'm taking the T

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 24,2005 10:33am
I'm pissed cause nobody posted this on the events board so I had no clue about it. I needed to shoot live pictures of pelican for a magazine, but thought that I was not going to be able to cause the only show was on monday night.
now, I have no way to contact anyone from anyone of those bands to get put on their lists so I can snap pictures.

toggletoggle post by Bradster at Jul 24,2005 11:09am
the_reverend said:
I'm pissed cause nobody posted this on the events board so I had no clue about it. I needed to shoot live pictures of pelican for a magazine, but thought that I was not going to be able to cause the only show was on monday night.
now, I have no way to contact anyone from anyone of those bands to get put on their lists so I can snap pictures.

so then pay to get in?

toggletoggle post by dirteecrayon  at Jul 24,2005 11:19am
yeah, my friend in kayo dot wont know until 4:30-5 if he could guestlist you or not

toggletoggle post by carina posting for aaron at Jul 24,2005 11:35am
That would rule.
Thanks for trying S

toggletoggle post by the rev mobile at Jul 24,2005 3:38pm
if they can, that would rule. if not, maybe I can show up and talk to pelican.
on a side note, I've wanted to see/shoot kayo dot for a while.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 24,2005 5:32pm
I guess I'm going to try calling the middle east in a bit to see what's up.

toggletoggle post by the rev mobile at Jul 24,2005 7:02pm
the middle east people couldn't help. carina looked for numbers, but they didn't work.
so I'm just heading there, hoping the door stuff works itself out

toggletoggle post by dirteecrayon  at Jul 24,2005 8:31pm
yeah sorry my friend never got back to me.

kayo dot is performing with khanate in september...

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Jul 24,2005 8:47pm
it's all good....he's there and pelican hooked him up
thanks for trying

toggletoggle post by the rev killing time between bands at Jul 24,2005 8:54pm
well, thank you and carina for trying things. I got to the door and checked the list, nothing.
so I grabbed one of the pelicans and they wrote me down.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Jul 24,2005 8:59pm
i hope it is the venue that just has shitty reception and not the phone because it was really hard to understand you

toggletoggle post by the rev killing time between bands at Jul 24,2005 9:05pm
kayo dot: I got in for their second song. from outside, it either sounded like nothing or a little new agey. when I got in, it was still pretty minimal at first, but then got harder. the shots from the crowd were ok. all the members of the band were packed up on the stage and the were facing away from the crowd. the one guitarist who sang was obviously in charge. I might even call him the conductor. everyone had their eyes on him (except the guy from the red chord's CD). that TRC guy (whos name escapes me) switched between brass and singing, but actually looked towards the crowd. at the end of their set, they slowly all move to or picked up percussions and played in a loop until the lead counted down...3...2...1 and they were done. when they play with khanate, I think that the khanate fans that are open will not like the first part of kd's set, but they will really like it from the mid point to the end.

toggletoggle post by the rev stuck in traffic at Jul 24,2005 9:32pm
ok, after KDs set they played the wedding present on the PA. awesome.

panthers, the: they had a more 70's feel to them. there was still a love of the late 90's space rock guitar, but also some wa-wa pedaling. the drummer kept switching up an playing some times repeative like like conifer, the the chinese stars, and then just straight up newage 70's rockout (see high on fire, etc). the singer sometimes reminded me of robert plant. he went up and played drums for part of a song too.
I think fans of seemless and arab on radar would like them.

toggletoggle post by the rev killing time between band at Jul 24,2005 9:51pm
rumors of my still being stuck in traffic are highly exagerated.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Jul 24,2005 9:58pm
lmao

toggletoggle post by dirteecrayon  at Jul 24,2005 9:58pm
the rev killing time between bands said:
that TRC guy (whos name escapes me)

forbes
http://www.polyrhythmatics.net/index2.html

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Jul 24,2005 10:12pm
i think pelican are playing tomorrow at the living room too !

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Jul 24,2005 10:17pm
yep

toggletoggle post by the rev killing time between band at Jul 24,2005 10:43pm
big business: sort of rocky and loud. noiseyM but with a motorhead feel to them. this features a guy from murder city devils and a guy from karp (karp rule and were on jaded tree I think). that's it. drummer and a bassist. nothing else. I could easily see them playing a show with layer of the minotaur and superchrist. at one point, the singer/bass had his chord or bass crap out. the ebded with the singer twisting down his bass top string so it was ultra low in the bass end. the stuff that they decended into reminded me of the more chaotic today is the day parts..

toggletoggle post by AUTOPSY_666   at Jul 24,2005 10:48pm
the rev killing time between band said:
layer of the minotaur

Hahahaha, it's LAIR.

toggletoggle post by the rev wowed with pelican at Jul 25,2005 12:41am
that's funny.. I tied lair, but the auto correct on my phone must have changed it while I was typing.

pelican: holy shit is all I can say. pelican is awesome. a few years ago, the world of indie rock got super duper over-saturated with spacerock. it seemed like everyone bought a my bloody valentine reissue CD and 3 sonic youth albums. all of them sounded exactly the same. minimal with echoy guitars, slow drum build ups, blend, repeat for 7 minutes and there you have you first CD on some shitty mid-west or canadian label. fast forward through a couple years of hardcore,prog rockm and the furthest reaches of mathrock and you arrive at 1 1/2 years ago when everyone started the newest crazy of "post hardcore" which this year has fused with progrock. anyhow, all that to say that pelican progress past all that by taking the music back to the mid to late 90s where space rock was good and new. they played for an hour almost straight through with very few pauses and almost no sparcely musiced areas. one of the guitarsts used a violin bow on his guitar which sounded cool. they played the first track off their new CD which is the only track by them that I have ever heard. the newest stuff is a lot harder than the older tracks.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jul 25,2005 1:40am
pictures uploading

toggletoggle post by attendmyrequiem forgot his password at Jul 25,2005 2:21am
kayo dot blew my mind. pelican did the same. i would put seeing pelican on my top 3 list. one being isis, two being meshuggah, three being pelican. i wish they played drought tho. that's my favorite track.

i spent way too much at their merch table too:
$10 for a cd
$10 for a shirt
$10 for a (SICK SICK SICK) poster
$5 for a dvd

good thing kayo dot packed their table up early or else i'd be dead broke until thursday, when i get paid. I'll just wait until I see them with Khanate to get their cd i guess.

toggletoggle post by insipidzombie  at Jul 25,2005 4:04am
yea i spent $25 . . . on the same items except the new disc, which I had already preordered. Fuck that poster is amazing. Those are gonna sell out real quick I think. Everyone was picking them up tonight and it's only the first night of the tour.

toggletoggle post by Messerschmitt at Jul 25,2005 6:24am
son of a bitch. wanted to go to this but didn't find out they were playing until late yesterday. too bad i started drinking early and passed out by 8. are they playing Providence tonight?

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Jul 25,2005 7:08am
i didnt make it either

toggletoggle post by attendmyrequiem forgot his password at Jul 25,2005 10:40am
i hope that next time mota makes it around that they play with kayo dot. that'd be a sick line up in itself right there.

toggletoggle post by Mike 33 at Jul 25,2005 10:52am
I'd do that asian violinist from Kayo Dot. Pelican was great as usual, should have played Nightendday or Drought though.

toggletoggle post by attendmyrequiem forgot his password at Jul 25,2005 11:50am
I was hoping they didn't play drought and were going to come back and play it as an encore. alas they didn't and now i'm disappointed and want to see them again.

toggletoggle post by Mike 33 at Jul 25,2005 11:58am
Yeah, their live show was tighter than a gnat's anus.

toggletoggle post by dan_bloodblister at Jul 25,2005 12:04pm
i like the instrumental parts of kayo dot, but in recording i think the heavy parts could be heavier and i dont like the vocals. but i hear they sound a million times better live

toggletoggle post by insipidzombie  at Jul 25,2005 12:46pm
I think March to the Sea sounded the best live last night of all the Pelican songs. the whole set was euphoric though. damn that band is tight

toggletoggle post by tiny fists raised up to heaven at Jul 25,2005 4:52pm

it's obvious why notcommon has gone under, there is noone there that promotes any of the bands in a creative, respectfull, and responsible manner. this isn't even funny, it's like 7th grade humor that you would use if selling your friends bands cd's to your own friends. This is one of the most idiotic flyers i have ever seen, fuckin insult the person you are trying to get to buy one of your cd's.wtf?

it just seems like a short cut to thinking. gradeschool Joe, gradeschool.

toggletoggle post by dan_bloodblister at Jul 25,2005 5:00pm
IRONY:

"gradeschool Joe, gradeschool."

toggletoggle post by kyleisrad at Jul 26,2005 12:40am
anyone who was there to see kayo dot should consider themselves lucky. finally a new england band that uses their music to express themselves, instead of playing as fast as they can or trying to make people mosh. pick up choirs of the eye, and shit your pants.

toggletoggle post by Mike 33 at Jul 26,2005 11:40am
kyleisrad said:
anyone who was there to see kayo dot should consider themselves lucky. finally a new england band that uses their music to express themselves, instead of playing as fast as they can or trying to make people mosh. pick up choirs of the eye, and shit your pants.

Moshing is stupid, the stoned-out sway is where it's at. And yes, Mass needs more doom and eccentric artists.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Deepest Fecal Hell
[default homepage] [print][9:49:06am Apr 26,2024
load time 0.93262 secs/25 queries]
[search][refresh page]