New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Internet / streaming television? What do you use? by Mr. Reasonable on Jun 7,2016 4:04pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Mr. Reasonable at Jun 7,2016 4:04pm
New place. Currently without internet and television. Not inclined to go back to cable, dish is not an option.

Lots of hubbub these days about streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. Anyone here go that route? How much bandwidth you use?

Curious to hear success stories if any. Hearing lots of good stuff about Roku, but dunno what speed internet is really necessary. Thx.

toggletoggle post by ko ku ko at Jun 7,2016 4:16pm
roku is hardware and is nice since you can get some free stuff out of it. check out the weird private channels list. hulu was a waste of money even at $7 a month. lately netflix seems to have a bad selection of things to watch.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jun 7,2016 4:21pm edited Jun 7,2016 4:22pm
Installed Kodi on my amazon firetv and mainly use the Genesis repository. This is mainly for stupid tv shows. Download movies/documentaries via torrent and stream it from my PC to my ps3 (basement projector) or amazon firetv (TV) with Universal Media Server. Also use Skifta in the rare event that I downloaded something on my phone (unlimited data) and want to stream it to my TV. No monthly fees besides internet and phone. I have a friend's Netflix account but I never use it.

toggletoggle post by Mr. Reasonable at Jun 7,2016 5:13pm
Thank you gents, appreciated - In regard to internet, I think my only option will be Comcast, can't get FiOS where I am, and would otherwise have to install a phone line for Verizon, fuck that. However, Comcast/Xfinity speeds and prices are all over the place it seems -

The shit scam is 25 Mbps at $34/month for a year, then $67/month.
75 Mbps is $80/month
Then, doubling the potential speed to 150 Mbps is $83/month
What the fucking fuck?

I know I'm gonna get fucked one way or the other, just trying to mitigate the bleeding. What do you guys use?

Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

toggletoggle post by susurrate at Jun 7,2016 5:17pm
i got to be friends with my neighbor one apartment over and they were nice enough to provide me with their wifi pass as they have the charter business speed because he owns a clothing store. I'm sure it's an option that pops up next to never, but hey, worked for me.

toggletoggle post by Hahaha at Jun 7,2016 5:23pm
Wow, you're all a bunch of streaming newbs....

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jun 7,2016 5:35pm

Then 84/month after year 2. I called and threatened to switch to fios and they locked me into the 67/month rate.

toggletoggle post by Mr. Reasonable at Jun 7,2016 5:53pm
Hahaha said[orig][quote]
Wow, you're all a bunch of streaming newbs....

Hence the thread.

toggletoggle post by Mr. Reasonable at Jun 7,2016 5:54pm
Alx_Casket said[orig][quote]

Then 84/month after year 2. I called and threatened to switch to fios and they locked me into the 67/month rate.

Ok, so you're still at 25 now, do you find that to be sufficient for streaming TV / internet shit / etc or do you end up buffering at peak times or ?

toggletoggle post by Hahaha at Jun 7,2016 6:02pm
I can't believe how stupid you anons are.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jun 7,2016 6:52pm
1920 x 1080p video over OTT (Apple TV, Roku, etc) usually streams at about 6-7 Mbps.

fwiw.

toggletoggle post by posbleak   at Jun 7,2016 10:29pm
Usenet + Plex + Chromecast

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jun 7,2016 10:57pm
As xmx explained, 25mbps is more than enough for streaming shit, just don't try to tell people at comcast that it means megabits. My rep was very adamant about it meaning megabytes per second, and would hear nothing else.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 8,2016 9:18am
25Mbps is great for just downloading. I did the $83/mo recently because it's got 10Mbps upload. The 150Mbps download is actually really nice, but if I wasn't using the upload speed, I wouldn't have gotten it.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 8,2016 9:29am
I have a chromecast. I download torrents, stream you turn, cast hulu, etc... from a laptop or whatever computer is on. There is a plug in for chrome that I use called videocast. It will stream any videos on my computers to chrome.

If that weren't enough, I then went and hooked a PC up to my TV so I could play steam.

toggletoggle post by Mr. Reasonable at Jun 8,2016 10:18am
Thank you all! Much obliged.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][3:46:45pm May 07,2024
load time 0.03271 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]