New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Death Metal vocal tips by Kalopsia on Jun 27,2004 11:32pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jun 27,2004 11:32pm
hey guys i need some help. i'm working on my throat to do backup vocals for Dehumanized, and the sub-gutteral vocals for Kalopsia. i'm starting to get pretty decent with the gutterals, but regular death vocals need some work. besides the obvious "just keep practicing man", does anyone have any tips for me that they use? like ways to not fuck up my vocal chords quickly or to do it louder but still sound good.

toggletoggle post by funeralxthirst at Jun 27,2004 11:47pm
i can do wicked gutteral vocals by inhaling, dont ask me how, could be cuz i had my tonsils removed back in the day

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jun 27,2004 11:50pm
that could possibly help. i know ppl that can do that too. i can't though, i exhale

toggletoggle post by funeralxthirst at Jun 27,2004 11:57pm
ya its kinda weird how i figured out how to do it, i could never do it the exhale way and one day i had an asthma attack and started inhaling rather sharply and it sounded like a dm vox so i tried it out later and it sounded wicked good, so ya......

toggletoggle post by Abbath at Jun 27,2004 11:58pm
i use to do death metal vocals before just concertrating on black metal
i found what you eat and drink during that day helps alot
don't eat alot of shitty fatty food like fried and spicy food
i also found that drinking alot of water and milk throughout the day works alot
some people say that milk hurts the vocals but that doesn't mean anything when it comes down to bm and dm, it gives your throating a coating and doesn't hurt the throat when you do the growling

toggletoggle post by funeralxthirst at Jun 28,2004 12:01am
ya flem does help it out when it comes down to bm and probly exhaling dm screams and shit

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Jun 28,2004 12:04am
Stevo drom Impetigo would drink chocolat milk before everyshow. He said it helps his vocals AND makes his vomit look cooler.

toggletoggle post by nick   at Jun 28,2004 12:07am
i do all vocals inhaled, lows/mids/highs. i cant do exhaled lows at all, its pretty wierd. when i first started it made my throat itch/hurt, but after a while youll get pretty good. i think my lungs are going to collapse eventually though.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jun 28,2004 7:37am
thanks guys. right now i'm using honey to coat my throat and it works pretty damn good. also plenty of water/gatorade

toggletoggle post by dneirflrigruoydeliani   at Jun 28,2004 1:51pm
I drink water to keep the chords hydrated, and 2 or 3 beers to loosen them up. I have never been able to do the "inwards screaming" aka inhaling with out soulding like a dying squawking bird.

toggletoggle post by heimdall  at Jun 28,2004 3:27pm
if your going to drink water have it at room temperture becasue if its too cold or hot it will screw up your vocal muscles

toggletoggle post by George   at Jun 28,2004 5:10pm
drink honey
straight honey

toggletoggle post by Robdeadskin  at Jun 28,2004 5:50pm
inhaled? wow I never heard of that. Im not sure how I pull mine off. its all in the force of the abs and controlled in the throat. My lows are good and I can still get words out. it's mostly in the stomach for me. And all the definition is opening and closing the back of the throat. My other guitarist/singer says he gets his lows deep by putting his tounge to the roof of his mouth...this is a good subject though...I like to know how others do thier gutterals. I drink alot of beer and coated shots like sambucca.

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Jun 28,2004 6:15pm
Robdeadskin said:
My other guitarist/singer says he gets his lows deep by putting his tounge to the roof of his mouth...this is a good subject though...I like to know how others do thier gutterals. I drink alot of beer and coated shots like sambucca.

Thats what I do for me real low ones. I put my tongue to the roof of my mouth. My regular growls just kinda came after grunting and growling a lot. I also shape my lips like a small circle. The bassist/singer in my band went through hell trying to learn how to grunt because we forced him to sing after we kicked out our singer and he never sang before.

toggletoggle post by Robdeadskin  at Jun 28,2004 6:17pm
My highs come from the rectum..havent shit myself yet but have come close 666

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Jun 28,2004 6:17pm
Also for my gutterals, besides putting my tongue to the roof, i flex my stomach and grab the phlegm from my throat and use that for the "wet" sound.

toggletoggle post by Robdeadskin  at Jun 28,2004 6:25pm
I do the phlegm...thats almost a must or the vocals sound gritty and dry. I forgot about the phlegm. Its hard to explain and do. People that dont listen to death metal dont understand the talent and the intensity behind it. And they think it sounds dumb...Ipractice every where...people stare at me cuz I grunt to myself in public all the time to practice....eeee errr wahhh ohhhh blaaaa!!

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jun 28,2004 6:35pm
wow, actually most of the tips u guys just gave me i've been doing? lol. so i guess i just need to keep practicing. thanks alot everyone

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Jun 28,2004 7:33pm
I don't always do the phlegm. Sometimes I think the more dry, harsher sound fits better.

toggletoggle post by Aegathis  at Jun 28,2004 9:59pm
I pretty much became a vocalist over night,hahah not really but just about. Any way its all about energy and not using your throat. Being Hydrated helps.

toggletoggle post by Inheritance   at Jun 28,2004 11:05pm
I just open my mouth-hole and evil jumps out.

toggletoggle post by Kalopsia   at Jun 29,2004 12:19am
ok so i went to practice tonight and here's what my band members had to say about how i sounded............... they couldn't fuckin hear me. i had my microphone louder than the singer's and i still couldn't be heard. that's how quiet i am. so my main problem is i have to be louder.

toggletoggle post by Abbath at Jun 29,2004 1:22am
that blows!!!! just scream it bro!!!!

toggletoggle post by Robdeadskin  at Jul 1,2004 3:48pm
You got to feel it in your face...push.!!!!!!!!!!! get volume..then worry about how it sounds once you have mastered being loud enough...

toggletoggle post by arsonick   at Jul 1,2004 5:00pm
i can inhale gutterals it sounds pretty brutal but then again its hard to speak words when inhaling (screaming and lows)
my new vocalist inhales and it sounds something like Sawtooth grin. it looks like he's not even doing anything though cause exhaling takes a lot more out of you.

toggletoggle post by Robdeadskin  at Jul 2,2004 1:12pm
inhaling? its amazing that so many people do that..Ive never heard or imagined such a thing...I cant seem to do it very well..my asthmatic lungs feel like they are gonna colapse on themselves. But I did try it and got some new sounds for my voice so I am glad to hear about that technique.

toggletoggle post by Dissector   at Jul 3,2004 10:50pm
I can inhale and it sounds awesome, but I can't do it for long at all or I'll gag or run out of breath. If I practice I'm sure I can get it. Our very first singer couldn't sing by exhaling, he would always inhale, and he could do it all day.

toggletoggle post by necrochrist  at Apr 3,2006 6:40pm
i need some tips on how to get my volume up. i can get my gutterals deep as shit but they arent very loud.

toggletoggle post by Phrozenspite at Apr 3,2006 7:39pm
Granted they certainly aren't the purest example of Death Metal, but Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth has said in interviews that his Growls are barely audible if they're not mic'd and that it takes barely any effort compared to the clean singing so perhaps volume isn't the key

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Apr 3,2006 7:56pm
it's all about putting your stomach into it...and just going balls to the walls with it and not holding back...if you're thinking too much about if it sounds good or not instead of just doing it it won't sound as good

i find that screaming along with a cd in your car is great practice

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Apr 3,2006 9:34pm edited Apr 3,2006 9:38pm
i never had a band or anything, but when i'm by myself i like to practice death growls for fun. i can sorta do a suffocation/decide type growl; those all come from the guts man but it takes so much air that i can't hold it more than like 2-3 seconds, plus i get hiccups from inhaling so much before growling! i also try growling really low, like cock and ball torture style, i can do it okay for the most part too, and it's a little easier for me, it uses less air, so i can hold it much longer. for me, i pretty much growl in my throat for those, but it makes my throat tickle so i cough a lot. milk is really good for death vocals, it makes your spit thicker so it coats your throat and prevents irritation, plus it helps the growls to sound more gurgly and nasty, as opposed to dry and hoarse. cupping the mic gets better sounds out too, if you're just doing vocals but obviously you can't cup it if you're playing a guitar as well. good luck and keep trying!

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Apr 3,2006 9:50pm
you really need to use your stomach muscles. like, tighten up your stomach and push the sound out with your abs.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Apr 3,2006 11:14pm
taking real deep breaths helps too...they talk about that in the zen of screaming, taking a full breath then screaming some of it out, but keeping a reserve at all times

toggletoggle post by KeithMutiny  at Apr 3,2006 11:33pm
diaphramatic breathing.

toggletoggle post by MikePile at Apr 3,2006 11:33pm
The real important thing is to look angry while you do it, all the time. Will Rahmer and NYDM teaches a non-credit class on guttural vocals at some community college down in New York, it is very informative.

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Apr 3,2006 11:39pm
SacreligionNLI said:
it's all about putting your stomach into it...and just going balls to the walls with it and not holding back...if you're thinking too much about if it sounds good or not instead of just doing it it won't sound as good

i find that screaming along with a cd in your car is great practice

I've found that's a good way to pass out while driving.

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Apr 3,2006 11:39pm
MikePile said:
The real important thing is to look angry while you do it, all the time. Will Rahmer and NYDM teaches a non-credit class on guttural vocals at some community college down in New York, it is very informative.

hahaha

toggletoggle post by MikePile at Apr 3,2006 11:43pm
davefromthegrave said:
MikePile said:

hahaha

Please everybody, don't let Will Rahmer know I made a NYDM joke. He'll drive down here with his Polish mafia buddies and br00tal death metal crew and kick my ass, assuming he can find a phone book to sit on so he can see over the steering wheel.

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Apr 4,2006 12:00am
I like Will.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Apr 4,2006 8:21am
I can sortof do toilet vocals... I've gotten a little better at them, but if you want to know how to nail them ask mark fucking richards, he's the master at it.

do a regulat unhaling low, but flex everything in your throat and chest much tigher and inhale harder. as you flex and inhale harder, it will hurt and at one point it probably won't even make any noise, but go even further past that and you get a gross toilet vocal.
I'm still perfecting my methods.

toggletoggle post by dwellingsickness at Apr 4,2006 8:42am
MikePile said:

Please everybody, don't let Will Rahmer know I made a NYDM joke. He'll drive down here with his Polish mafia buddies and br00tal death metal crew and kick my ass, assuming he can find a phone book to sit on so he can see over the steering wheel.

haha awesome

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 4,2006 10:34am
its all about breath control. also, there is no magical way, you just have to have it. i try not to make a grumbling mess when i do it. and dont push too hard, or your head will explode

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 4,2006 10:34am
oh and get "The Zen of Screaming". it is the vocalists holy grail. or unholy grail whichever you prefer

toggletoggle post by hydro916 at Jun 19,2008 12:27am
davefromthegrave said[orig][quote]
I've found that's a good way to pass out while driving.

hahaha I have come so close but im getting better now

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jun 19,2008 1:06am
Yeti said[orig][quote]
oh and get "The Zen of Screaming". it is the vocalists holy grail. or unholy grail whichever you prefer

I have been looking for this as an ebook download and can't find it. Makes me sad, but I am ure I will find it somewhere.

toggletoggle post by plaguecalledman at Jun 19,2008 1:35am
I used to drink tea, I can also do the inhale black metal screeches. When I inhale it feels like the air is going to the top of my throat versus going straight down. It's tough to explain. But like someone said above for death metal it's all about the stomach.

toggletoggle post by deadlikemurf  at Jun 19,2008 3:36am
just find the inner bree.

toggletoggle post by fucked vocalist at Jul 26,2010 12:27pm
m a vocalist of a black metal band.. i inhale all the low high mid whatever.. i don know the techniqe thing cuz i din hav to practiced it.. it was like natural.. and i sound very loud and i don't have any vocal break problem.. i can produce whatever sound pig slaughter frog and simply high.. but just i found that inhalers are not given the respect on metal society.. whats you guys think abt it... please suggest me..

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Jul 26,2010 12:37pm
I suggest you first learn how to write in a coherent manner. Once you've accomplished that feel free to come back and ask your question.

toggletoggle post by fucked vocalist at Jul 26,2010 1:01pm
was that reply for me??? i mean for my nick or sumthin?? i mean i was like i don't see any related question for that reply above me so..just curious

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jul 27,2010 10:11am
Fuck yourself with a knife, newfag.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][11:32:12am Apr 27,2024
load time 0.03701 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]