New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Top 10 best Metal Rehearsals by KEVORD on Nov 13,2012 10:50am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Nov 13,2012 10:50am

Invisible Oranges posts alot of crap but these videos are awesome and worth the watch.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012/11/vi...oid-2-top-10-best-metal-rehearsals/

At a time when a frightening number of devices can document the slightest rustle, there’s a larger respect for videos captured from times past without the foresight of social media. They often play like intimate home movies intended only for a small audience of friends whose purpose is a duality of novelty and sentiment. When they do capture something of interest, either in the moment or hindsight, they become a precious commodity that fills in some rather large gaps. Outside of its much larger context, it’s what makes amateur videos like the Zapruder film so incredible: they were never directly intended to be what they’ve become. Much like obscure demos or basement recordings, band rehearsals carry a distinct charm that cuts through the produced layer of recordings. It’s a portal into a musician’s most relaxed and familiar environment, usually strewn with empty bottles and archived trash, which opens up wells of insight into the early development of our beloved genres. It’s great to see figures like Glen Benton display a sense of humor during a period when he was branding his forehead with upside-down crosses, perhaps a psychological essay within itself. Enjoy your door into their practice space.

— Aaron Maltz

. . .

Deicide – 2/19/90
Highlights: One of the Deicide gents asks, “What’s it gonna be boys? What’s it gonna be?” gathering group consensus on which song to play next. Benton replies, “Gonna be big fucking hairy dicks in your ass.” Why they gotta be hairy? Also, watch out for an unexpected Benton leaning into the camera and screaming, “BLASPHEMATE ME!” at the appropriate time during “Dead By Dawn”. Finally, check out the youthful Cannibal Corpse boys hanging in the background.

bennyhillifier

Tom Araya performing Motley Crue’s “Looks That Kill” – November 1983
Also featuring Tom’s brother, John, on guitar alongside the video’s uploader, Dimitri Galeos. The footage was recorded at the Slayer Compound, which just sounds like a nasty, unhygienic pad. Can you imagine how many illicit sexual encounters or white-drug experiences it housed? I’m guessing a staggering quantity of both. And what is the couple arguing about at 3:30? What is she giving him tomorrow? Most likely we’ll never know. A compilation of footage from the same session exists here.

bennyhillifier

. . .

Death – 3/11/91
Man, Chuck’s shorts are . . . short. I was momentarily uncomfortable until I realized he wasn’t wearing just boxers. Because of its static POV this isn’t the most exciting video but certainly captures great footage of my favorite Death line-up.

bennyhillifier

Atheist – Formative Years Rehearsal
Again with the short shorts on Kelly Schaffer; must be that sweltering Tampa heat. And in case you were wondering, Schaffer is that guy who wears his own band’s t-shirt to practice. Any footage of the late Roger Patterson is worth the time spent, as is hearing Steve Flynn perform on a raw kit. Who knew Rand Burkey plays with a cigarette in his picking hand? Hardly seems like efficient use of a smoke.

bennyhillifier

Autopsy – Ridden with Disease (1988)
Peep the little kid who pops out from behind the amp at around 1:05. Hope s/he was wearing earplugs! Although not the greatest sound quality, this is a rad video and performance.

bennyhillifier

Morbid Angel – 9/13/90
Highlights include an appearance from Mike Browning of Nocturnus (also heard practicing in the video’s beginning), Trey casually jamming on riffs that would later become “God of Emptiness,” Pete Sandoval’s unseen yet mammoth kick-drum abilities and an interrupted version of “Immortal Rites.” Oh, and a couple of sodas on a hooptie. I’m guessing it’s Vincent’s ride.

bennyhillifier

Sepultura – C.I.U. (Criminals in Uniform) August 1989
Worth watching just to hear the Brazilians perform a sped-up version of “Supernaut”. Apparently shot on Andreas Kisser’s birthday!

bennyhillifier

Mayhem – 1988
At 71 minutes in length, watching the entire video is reserved for diehards but it does offer a fascinating glimpse into the group’s personality. If only I understood Norwegian it would be that much more intriguing. The cheerful footage of “Dead” in the beginning offers a rare peek into the cult figure.

bennyhillifier

Nocturnus – 09/13/90
These guys were seriously underrated. Mike Browning looks as happy as a pig in shit.

bennyhillifier

Emperor – 1993
At almost 80 minutes, another video for the diehards but fun to watch the original line-up with Faust. Again, it’s probably that much more interesting for folks who understand Norwegian, but worth a viewing regardless. Anyone else notice how gross Ihsahn’s nails are?

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Nov 13,2012 10:57am edited Nov 13,2012 10:57am
Nice dude. I just watched part of the Deicide video, will watch the rest later. Great stuff.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Nov 13,2012 11:14am
RAD

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Nov 13,2012 11:25am
yea I dont see Barren Oak's 2012 rehearsal in here.

toggletoggle post by Beastial_Ghost_Eggs at Nov 13,2012 11:29am
come practice with us.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Nov 13,2012 11:43am
this is choice as fuck

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Nov 13,2012 11:45am
The Deicide one is great -- pre-douchebag Glen and pre-steroids Hoffmans.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 13,2012 11:45am
What about the sadus one?

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Nov 13,2012 11:59am
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
you could just post it.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at Nov 13,2012 8:17pm
Oh man, that is cool. I was hoping there'd be footage of Celtic Frost watching Voivod practice, but oh well.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 13,2012 8:19pm
A+ post

toggletoggle post by floatingeyecorpse at Nov 14,2012 1:39am
I always liked this Trouble video of them on cable axxxess

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by ark at Nov 14,2012 1:25pm
sick thread for a druid

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Nov 14,2012 1:30pm
ark said[orig][quote]
sick thread for a druid
I casted sick thread entangle.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 14,2012 1:32pm
KEVORD said[orig][quote]
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
you could just post it.
could find no video. I think my death to powers demo is miss labeled as rehearsal.

toggletoggle post by Josh Cunt nli at Nov 17,2012 6:54pm
Araya sounds awesome on looks that kill. Motley Crue shoulda gotten him to replace Vince Neil instead of that fag that they got

toggletoggle post by Smarky Smark and the Funky Bunch at Nov 18,2012 2:44am

toggletoggle post by ancient master nli at Nov 18,2012 9:49am
not a rehearsal, but awesome

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Nov 18,2012 12:22pm
these are all good but nothing will ever top the Massacre of the Majestic rehearsal of 'mystic deception.' One of the abolute best.

toggletoggle post by DYA is SOMETHING SOMETHING at Nov 18,2012 1:42pm
trioxin245 said[orig][quote]
these are all good but nothing will ever top the Massacre of the Majestic rehearsal of 'mystic deception.' One of the abolute best.

THIS GUY KNOWS HIS SHIT.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:today will turn for the worse
[default homepage] [print][12:18:55am Apr 26,2024
load time 0.02207 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]