New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> the polygon is dead: NEW detailed rendering that blows away graphics right now by arilliusbm on Aug 3,2011 4:55pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 4:55pm
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2...ces-again-still-wont-let-us-play-it

bennyhillifier

Reality simulations, here we come. :(

A little more than a year ago, we wrote about an Australian hobbyist named Bruce Dell who was claiming--with video evidence to back it up--that he’d created a new graphics technology that could deliver unlimited power. That is, rather than working with a limited number of polygon shapes (restricted, of course, by computing power), a graphic environment could be built from an infinite number of 3-D virtual atoms, much like the physical world. It was a cool idea. Then Dell and his Unlimited Detail graphics system disappeared.

Now Dell is back with a company called Euclideon and a new video describing the progress he’s made on his software over the last year. And again, it looks pretty impressive if completely unverifiable.

The idea, on its face, doesn’t sound impossible. Basically, Unlimited Detail eschews the usual polygon shape construction for a point-cloud construction for his virtual environments. But an infinite number of 3-D atoms would require an infinite amount of computing power to render. Even a small number of detailed point-cloud objects would require tons of computational wherewithal.

Unlimited Detail circumvents the computing power problem, Dell says, by acting like a search engine that figures out, in real time, which points need to be rendered to create a certain view from a certain perspective. So only the “atoms” that are being viewed in a given frame from a certain perspective are actually rendered at any given time. The rest go un-rendered in the background. Less rendering means less computing power consumed.

In the video below, Dell describes in perfect exhilarated-Aussie just how awesome this technology could make our video game worlds and other virtual environments. Unlimited Detail can now pack one million atoms into a single virtual cubic inch, allowing for unprecedented detail. And it could make such environments less virtual, allowing game designers to “scan” in objects from the real world and present them as they look naturally, making video game worlds a kind of hybrid reality with some parts real and some parts engineered by artists.

This is all assuming that Unlimited Detail really works. Dell and company are still keeping a lot of secrets and have said they’ll probably go quiet again after this one-year progress report so they can finish up their work. So, once again, you’ll have to judge for yourself.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 3,2011 4:56pm
watched this last night. cool as hell

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Aug 3,2011 4:58pm
natural progression of 3D engines. i bet it will take decades for developers to adapt it. who cares, just play good games. living in the future doesn't have to be all :(

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 5:00pm
best games = 16 bit or lower. IMHO of course.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Aug 3,2011 5:01pm
:|

:/

(_))======D

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Aug 3,2011 5:10pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]

WE KNOW!

toggletoggle post by Doomkid   at Aug 3,2011 5:13pm
Pointing out some of the flaws of this flawed (but still awesome for some things like cinematics/virtual scenery) technology:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8386977075/its-a-scam

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 3,2011 5:16pm
RustyPS%20should%20be%20working said[orig][quote]

WE KNOW!

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Aug 3,2011 5:21pm
if it's possible, it would be a tremendous workhorse. The reason things are made polygons is so they can be rendered FAST. When he's showing the FPS with the bones (Crysis?) look how fast he can move and spin around, and the comp has no problem rendering the visuals fast enough to do that. It's true that artists need to make concessions to make that happen, but honestly I don't find modern polygon images to be bad enough to be distracting. I think they're pretty good.

Also, of all the people to be making a post about modern graphics...

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Aug 3,2011 5:23pm

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Aug 3,2011 5:24pm
didnt i post this shit like 2 years ago

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Aug 3,2011 5:34pm
RichHorror said[orig][quote]

P&P FTW

toggletoggle post by ark at Aug 3,2011 5:38pm
16 bit is classic. But bits have nothing to do with games and the Clinton years are over.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 5:48pm edited Aug 3,2011 5:49pm
Doesnt matter. Video games and reality simulations. Someone has to draw the line between emulating reality and playing a simple game. I will do whatever it takes to engrave that into rttp's minds, regardless of being a broken record.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 3,2011 5:50pm edited Aug 3,2011 5:50pm
Unlimited Detail circumvents the computing power problem, Dell says, by acting like a search engine that figures out, in real time, which points need to be rendered to create a certain view from a certain perspective. So only the “atoms” that are being viewed in a given frame from a certain perspective are actually rendered at any given time. The rest go un-rendered in the background. Less rendering means less computing power consumed.

Which is why all 3D engines do this, already. Next.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 6:02pm
Skyrim or GTFO

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 3,2011 6:03pm
Ultima IV or GTFO

SRSLY

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Aug 3,2011 6:45pm

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 3,2011 7:04pm
CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STARFOX

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 7:16pm

OR GTFO!!!!!!!!1

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Aug 3,2011 7:17pm
Goddamn backed.

toggletoggle post by ark at Aug 3,2011 8:19pm
Someone has to draw the line between emulating reality and playing a simple game.

i think that line will always be drawn. there are more indie developers than ever and some are making great games. this game is getting glowing reviews.

bennyhillifier

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 8:20pm
Indeed. That's where it's at.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 3,2011 8:25pm
Limbo is on steam? I NEED that....

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 3,2011 8:32pm
I really want limbo to come out for the iPad.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I would be the only one in this forum who designed a 3D split-based rendering polygon engine from scratch. 1999 was a hell of a year.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Aug 3,2011 9:19pm
I completely forgot I downloaded Limbo.

I saw someone playing it at a friend of Nick's house, and was intrigued and disturbed at the same time

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 3,2011 10:00pm
That looks awesome

As an aspiring game developer, I totally don't give a fuck about graphics. Most of the games that I enjoy would be just as good with low-res sprite graphics (or fucking ASCII, even). Even the 3D titles could look like HL1 for all I care, it's all about the fucking GAMEPLAY. If if don't work while it looks like shit, it don't work.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 3,2011 10:03pm
Also, company name "Euclideon" makes it look like they can't spell.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 3,2011 10:11pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

As an aspiring game developer

Good luck. Hard market.

toggletoggle post by ridahsofdizoom at Aug 3,2011 10:43pm

I go up to 64 bits with minor explorations on ps1, ffix.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Aug 3,2011 11:35pm
I think polygon engines are doing just fine.

bennyhillifier

Tech demo for the Unreal Engine, supposedly running in real time but using 3 graphics cards processing together. Dunno if that's true, but it's still amazing regardless.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Barbed Atlantean Faralepsy
[default homepage] [print][5:00:10pm Apr 28,2024
load time 0.02739 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]