New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> We were going to cover Morbid Angel.... but...... by Anon on Jun 8,2011 1:32pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 1:32pm
My band was working on a cover of "God Of Emptiness" for our next release. (Our other choices were Ceasar's Palace or Dawn Of The Angry. We picked this one because we were at a stalemate on the decision so we figured to let our vocalist pick since that's an instrument that's not easily changed)

We're not internet junkies and only found out about Morbid Angel's new album last weekend so we were thinking "Hmm, good timing. This could really be beneficial for us."

BUT, I picked up the new album last night. Today I am gathering my band mates and discuss dropping the cover all together in fear that Morbid Angel's recent suckfest will make having anything to do with them backfire on us.

But I figure why not throw this out there and get some different perspectives.

toggletoggle post by Kevord  at Jun 8,2011 1:34pm
Morbid Angel up to D still rules.

toggletoggle post by Kevord  at Jun 8,2011 1:36pm
Ceasars Palace is also a highly underrated song. I wish they would play it live but Trey hates it.

toggletoggle post by Mark_R at Jun 8,2011 1:38pm
I don't see the negative reaction to the new album affecting people's attachment to the early stuff too much. When they get around to touring I'm sure (or hope) that the places will still be packed with people expecting a career-spanning setlist (myself included).

I agree that Ceasar's Palace would be a good cover to do.

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 1:38pm
Ceasars Palace was my pick. Our guitarist has been playing the intro to it as a warm up for years and I love the agression in the vocals, very authorative.

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Jun 8,2011 1:38pm
Yeah Morbid Angel continues to be awesome regardless of how much their new material sucks. The fact that you're considering not doing a cover because the band just put out a terrible album is lame. That's some hipster kult nonsense and you need to get over yourselves and people's potential reception of your cover of a great band's song.

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Jun 8,2011 1:39pm
hauptpflucker said[orig][quote]
Yeah Morbid Angel continues to be awesome regardless of how much their new material sucks. The fact that you're considering not doing a cover because the band just put out a terrible album is lame. That's some hipster kult nonsense and you need to get over yourselves and people's potential reception of your cover of a great band's song.

this!

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 1:42pm

What's wrong with getting a feel for people's reaction prior to me having to pay to record a song that may not be well received? You see it as "hipster", I see it as product testing. And it's kind of funny because the very thing you have such a strong stance against would have prevent MA from releasing a pile of shit had they tested a focus group's reaction instead of having a "We're huge, we're metal, whatever we do will kill and fuck all who don't like it" Look where that attitude got them.

toggletoggle post by orktourass at Jun 8,2011 1:48pm
Don't forget people still do somewhat effective Metallica and Megadeth covers for example, and their shit:classic album ratio is way higher than Morbid Angel's. Any of those songs are classic and good choices for covers.

Reminds me that when I heard the new Morbid Angel album was going to feature more Trey instrumental/industrial stuff, I was psyched because I was expecting "Hatework" -type stuff a la Domination. I was severely mistaken.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jun 8,2011 1:52pm
yeah, i don't think morbid angel's stuff is really that good of a cover decision, but then again, we're covering Cryptopsy, and ATG.

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 1:52pm
I'm glad to hear everyone's opinion on this. It is giving me encouregement that we haven't been wasting valuable time learning a track for nothing.

Hatework was another choice but we declined that because it's just way too basic. The vocals would be great to ad in some reverb and give our vocalist a chance to really stretch the lungs out. I was contemplating hiring a drum line for it but again, just not enough action in it for what we wanted to perform.

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Jun 8,2011 1:53pm
Anon said[orig][quote]
And it's kind of funny because the very thing you have such a strong stance against would have prevent MA from releasing a pile of shit had they tested a focus group's reaction instead of having a "We're huge, we're metal, whatever we do will kill and fuck all who don't like it" Look where that attitude got them.
What are you talking about?

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jun 8,2011 1:55pm

Ok, so while i think i get what you're saying... i agree with the fact that they shouldn't care what people think of the new record... but i don't agree that it's hipsterish at all. I just can't make that connection.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD  at Jun 8,2011 1:58pm
Killer golf, bro.

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Jun 8,2011 1:58pm
The "hipster kult" comment was refering to the idea that this anonymous buttdart is more concerned about whether people will slight his band for being fans of Morbid Angel than about playing what they want to play. My choice of words may have been crude, but I think the point is there.

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Jun 8,2011 1:59pm
Also your cryptopsy cover is a perfect example of covering a sick band that lost it's way. As for ATG I don't get your point, there is no bad At the Gates.

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 2:00pm
What are you talking about?

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 2:01pm
The "hipster kult" comment was refering to the idea that this anonymous buttdart is more concerned about whether people will slight his band for being fans of Morbid Angel than about playing what they want to play. My choice of words may have been crude, but I think the point is there.

I see it as being hypersensative.

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 2:03pm
And I may want to add that I am being slightly humorous in the wording of the first post. I didn't think someone would go all uber-anti-metal-poser for it.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jun 8,2011 2:03pm
Also your cryptopsy cover is a perfect example of covering a sick band that lost it's way. As for ATG I don't get your point, there is no bad At the Gates.

I was just saying that we don't care what people think about what we cover. I believe in your statement that i've qouted here, you point out the difference in the two covers that highlights how we don't care what people think.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jun 8,2011 2:04pm
or something.

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Jun 8,2011 2:04pm
haha got it ;)

toggletoggle post by mikeofdecrepitude at Jun 8,2011 2:05pm
With the recent backlash towards the new record, I think it's had a huge impact on those either discovering or rediscovering what made Morbid Angel great. It's giving people more of an appreciation for their earlier accomplishments.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Jun 8,2011 2:05pm
haha got it ;)

word chinegro!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jun 8,2011 2:07pm
Right wing commies
Leftist Nazis
Point their fingers
Rumours linger
We don't care what you think
Branded sexist
Labelled racist
Want it clearer?
Check the mirror
Lies and slander, in vain try to shame us
Riots, protests, violence just makes us famous
TV interviews, free publicity
Increase record sales dramatically
The left, they say I'm fascist
The right calling me communist

toggletoggle post by conservationist  at Jun 8,2011 2:08pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
Right wing commies
Leftist Nazis
Point their fingers
Rumours linger
Branded sexist
Labelled racist
Want it clearer?
Check the mirror
Lies and slander, in vain try to shame us
Riots, protests, violence just makes us famous
TV interviews, free publicity
Increase record sales dramatically
The left, they say I'm fascist
The right calling me communist

Awesome.

/subscribe

toggletoggle post by orktourass at Jun 8,2011 2:09pm
conservationist a Type-O Niggative fan?

toggletoggle post by Anon at Jun 8,2011 2:12pm
mikeofdecrepitude said[orig][quote]
With the recent backlash towards the new record, I think it's had a huge impact on those either discovering or rediscovering what made Morbid Angel great. It's giving people more of an appreciation for their earlier accomplishments.

I think it's probably also alienating that "younger audience" from even giving their older material a chance after hearing something that sounds like marylin manson. There's a lot of pople that are quick to assume all a band's discography sounds like the one album they heard and either except or dismiss them based on it. Just a fact of first impressions.

toggletoggle post by mikeofdecrepitude at Jun 8,2011 2:20pm
Anon said[orig][quote]
I think it's probably also alienating that "younger audience" from even giving their older material a chance after hearing something that sounds like marylin manson. There's a lot of pople that are quick to assume all a band's discography sounds like the one album they heard and either except or dismiss them based on it. Just a fact of first impressions.

The younger audience listens to stuff like this
bennyhillifier so they're a lost cause to begin with.

toggletoggle post by MetalThursday  at Jun 8,2011 2:30pm
orktourass said[orig][quote]
Don't forget people still do somewhat effective Metallica and Megadeth covers for example, and their shit:classic album ratio is way higher than Morbid Angel's. Any of those songs are classic and good choices for covers.

Reminds me that when I heard the new Morbid Angel album was going to feature more Trey instrumental/industrial stuff, I was psyched because I was expecting "Hatework" -type stuff a la Domination. I was severely mistaken.

I think Hatework was a Rutan song. The instrumental tracks were Dreaming and Melting.

toggletoggle post by AMOROK666 at Jun 8,2011 2:30pm
Only covering kvlt bands that no one knows is real.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 8,2011 2:35pm edited Jun 8,2011 2:35pm
was hoping for more like dis

bennyhillifier

with Dave Vincent vokillz

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 8,2011 2:36pm
MEEEEEEWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

toggletoggle post by BlessedOffalNLI at Jun 8,2011 4:29pm
covers are great and all, but you dont need to put this much thought into one.

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Jun 8,2011 4:49pm
BlessedOffalNLI said[orig][quote]

For proof of this attend a Blessed Offal show and witness them butcher Carnivore's "World Wars III and IV".

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 8,2011 5:00pm
nekronaut said[orig][quote]
BlessedOffalNLI said[orig][quote]

For proof of this attend a Blessed Official show and witness them officially butcher Carnivore's "World Wars III and IV".

officially

toggletoggle post by eyeroller at Jun 8,2011 5:09pm

toggletoggle post by eyeroller at Jun 8,2011 5:10pm
^ Duh, sorry.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:typos add character
[default homepage] [print][1:08:11pm Apr 29,2024
load time 0.02346 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]