New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Doctor Who (TV Series 1963–1989) by the_reverend on Nov 27,2010 11:47pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 27,2010 11:47pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056751/

I used to watch it on PBS as a kiddo... creeped the fuck out.
now I'm starting from episode 1.
I think the download of the series is 270GB.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 27,2010 11:50pm

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Nov 28,2010 12:14am
A lotta the early ones are just plain fucking gone - the BBC used to wipe old tapes and re-use'em. It's only by sheer luck (and the actions of one quick-thinking BBC employee) that the ENTIRE Monty Python run escaped the same fate.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 12:48am
yeah, they say that there are "recreations" of the old episodes.
IDK what that means.
I can't wait to watch the 1963's episodes.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 12:54am
the episode where the dis-corporal hand is crawling around the sand pit and when it touched you, destroyed you:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/handoffear/
used to scare the crap out of me.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 12:57am

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Nov 28,2010 1:46am
Weird that you'd post this, I've been working through the revival series... I think only the newest season is worth it though, so many clunkers otherwise

toggletoggle post by Malacandra at Nov 28,2010 7:39am
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
yeah, they say that there are "recreations" of the old episodes.
IDK what that means.
I can't wait to watch the 1963's episodes.

I know the BBC recorded a good number of the lost episodes as radio productions. The Genesis of the Daleks is with Tom Baker is the best television I've ever watched.

toggletoggle post by DomesticTerror at Nov 28,2010 12:57pm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056751/

I used to watch it on PBS as a kiddo... creeped the fuck out.

same here. the theme still sends a chill up my spine.

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Nov 28,2010 1:17pm
Haha, i loved the old Dr. Who episodes on PBS when I was a spud. Remember these fuckers? The Zygons...
Haha

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Nov 28,2010 1:18pm
Damn....

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Nov 28,2010 1:18pm
That sucks. The only 3 seasons I would be interested in watching again (4 if you count Tom Baker) are the ones missing some 100+ episodes.

I'm amazed this stuff is all missing. I mean, I watched it on PBS from the very first episode in the mid-80's. If they stopped destroying tapes in '78, where are all the copies that PBS had?

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Nov 28,2010 1:19pm

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 2:09pm
ArrowHeadNLI said[orig][quote]
That sucks. The only 3 seasons I would be interested in watching again (4 if you count Tom Baker) are the ones missing some 100+ episodes.

I'm amazed this stuff is all missing. I mean, I watched it on PBS from the very first episode in the mid-80's. If they stopped destroying tapes in '78, where are all the copies that PBS had?
or... a young peter thought that he was watching all the episodes much like a young aaron and didn't know until last night that there are so many missing episodes.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 2:10pm
And tom baker is the doctor that I knew as a kid. I can't wait to watch all these again.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Nov 28,2010 4:50pm
Nope. I definitely saw all of the missing episodes, including the regeneration of all three of the first doctors. From the linked site, one of those is most definitely among the missing.

Tom Baker was always most popular, but the very first doctor was my favorite.

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Nov 28,2010 4:51pm
I was about to post the link to the site that has every episode ever streaming, but it seems as of today he's taken his site down and is selling the URL.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Nov 28,2010 5:03pm
Yeah, I used to watch this show. The hand one definitely brought me back. The end credits were the best. It was like a spinning round tunnel.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 6:01pm
Nope. I definitely saw all of the missing episodes, including the regeneration of all three of the first doctors. From the linked site, one of those is most definitely among the missing.

I'm glad that you believe that you saw videos in the 80s that have been missing since the 70s. While I'm watching these, if the story is lacking cause of the missing episodes, can I have a bushel of what you were/are smoking?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 6:08pm
And Tom Baker is the one I grew up with cause he was the one on when I was watching the how.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Nov 28,2010 7:53pm

I'm glad that you believe that you saw videos in the 80s that have been missing since the 70s. While I'm watching these, if the story is lacking cause of the missing episodes, can I have a bushel of what you were/are smoking?

I'm sorry you don't believe me. At least I saw them, and seems like you never will. Nyah Nyah Nyah bitter man.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 8:39pm
I believe tha you think that you saw them. It is unfortunate that reality doesn't hold that up as I would love to have seen them.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Nov 28,2010 8:52pm
I definitely without ANY doubt have seen the transformation of all 3 first doctors. To the point, actually, that I recall how annoyed I was at the second doctor when they panned in on his new face at the end. I was a huge fan of the first doctor and was incredibly sad he was gone.

I also definitely without any doubt saw all of the first Auton and Dalek shows, which are also listed as missing.

This was a favorite show of mine back then, even to the point that I read a ton of the books as well.

"Lionheart also offered stations the choice between the standard 25-minute episodes, or a longer version that some stations termed Whovies. These "omnibus editions", or, "movie versions" as they were also known, edited multi-part serials into a single, feature-length film, by cutting out the opening and closing credits, as well as the recap of the cliffhanger, between episodes. (Some edits were clumsy, particularly during Davison-era stories that frequently would have scenes interrupted by partial credit sequences, or feature the sudden appearance of the "electronic scream" sound effect that usually accompanied cliffhangers). This was the most common format used for PBS broadcasts of the series in the 1980s and 1990s. "

These "Whovies" are what I remember watching for the most part in the mid 80's. However, I also remember previous runs on PBS before that that were terribly out of order and primarily featured Baker era stories. It's like they started it in the middle, stopped, and went back to the beginning and ran it all in order.

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Nov 28,2010 9:04pm
Yeah, until way later I thought Tom Baker was the only Doctor Who ever. Thank you internet.

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 9:49pm
@rich Yeah, I was too young to under stand the whole multi-doctor thing

@arrowhead: I have no clue what episodes are missing as I haven't watched this show since I was under 10 and all. Looking at the episode guides means nothing to me and I only vaguley remember the doctors changing, but it's cool and all that you think you saw something that hasn't existed since befoe you were born and a world for of docto who fans have been in the last 21+ years unable to find in any form.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Nov 28,2010 10:44pm
but it's cool and all that you think you saw something that hasn't existed since befoe you were born and a world for of docto who fans have been in the last 21+ years unable to find in any form.

1) I was most assuredly born before these tapes were wiped. They stopped in '78, I was born in '76.

2) It would have been more than 21+ years ago I saw this.

I'm glad you find it more likely that I'm wrong about seeing a show than it is that a wikipedia page might be incorrect.

I read the same wiki article you did, with all it's links. I'm also befuddled as to how it may be, but there are absolutely episodes on that missing episode list that I have seen, such as the pilot and the last with the first doctor. It's like someone telling you you're wrong about seeing the final episode of M.A.S.H. when you can 100% remember the show, cast, plot, and even where you saw it and who you were with.

I'm far more likely to believe that instead of me being a big fat liar, that the local PBS affiliate might have some broadcast copies long forgotten lost somewhere in their archive. New episodes have surfaced as recently as 2005 according to the wikipedia, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they still had some.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 11:27pm
yes and rape victims know beyond a shadow of a doubt who the guy that raped them was, but when the DNA evidence exhonorates someone after 20 years in jail, their worlds are as crushed as yours is right now. memory is an amazingly fickle thing. there are plenty of things that my brother swears happened that really happened before he was born. there are tens of millions of people who think they went to woodstock and didnt. there are also countless thousands who swear they saw tanks on the battle fields in WWI and WWII but we all know it aint so.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 28,2010 11:27pm
it also said that they started bulking in 1972.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Nov 28,2010 11:29pm
It also says the boston affiliate bought syndication in '77.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 29,2010 12:04am
so after 5 years of deleting tapes, the boston affiliate bought syndication rights.
this is like that titanic vitage film you tried to sell me recorded with a cellphone.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 29,2010 12:19am
Damn it, I typed this long thing about licensing and ten my phone rebooted. Anyhow, from what the wiki said, they didn't hve the licensing for the b/w stuff in 1977 so that wouldn't have been part of the syndication.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Nov 29,2010 8:35am
I heard the early episodes were all delivered by tank.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2010 8:36am
makes sense due to all the time traveling.

toggletoggle post by saxlbeckett at Nov 30,2010 9:52pm
The latest series of the re-launch was actually kind of cool. Anyone else seen it?

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Nov 30,2010 9:57pm
I did, before that website got taken down. I was into it.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 30,2010 10:04pm
I'm going to start with the older episodes and move forward.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 1,2010 7:54am
I've watched a few of the relaunch episodes - dug what I've seen so far. The one where K-9 shows up had me D'AAAAWWWing.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 1,2010 8:13am
This is about the original sseries. If you want to talk the new series start your own damn thread!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 1,2010 8:17am
"+1 Like button"

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 1,2010 8:20am
I have Genesis of the Daleks with Stavros and Tom Baker on VCD - gotta watch that shit later. My roommate is super into the relaunch shit and has never seen a single original episode. Shit's crazy.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 1,2010 9:08am
Vcd what aterrible format

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Dec 1,2010 4:47pm
whats wrong with the current dr who

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 23,2011 11:23am
oh no... my download is about to be killed. i've been downloading since this date and I'm only at 6.7%

toggletoggle post by eyehatehippies  at Feb 23,2011 11:57am
The current Dr. Who fucking blows.

I watched this show religiously as a child. I remember seeing the last Tom Baker episode before they switched even.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Feb 23,2011 1:37pm
when i said current it wasnt the new guy yet that guy sucks

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Feb 23,2011 2:35pm
so mistaken

toggletoggle post by arkquimanthorn at Feb 23,2011 2:39pm
i just can't get into the new ones. it's entertaining for a while but it's so campy and ridiculous, and i still have more star trek to watch.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 24,2011 12:15am
I'm starting to watch
s01e01 An Unearthly Child (aka 100,000 BC, The Tribe Of Gum)

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Apr 24,2011 12:18am
Killer stuff!

Dark Shadows is my all time fav from that era though

toggletoggle post by punk potenza at Apr 24,2011 11:24am
Paul%20CNV said[orig][quote]
Killer stuff!

Dark Shadows is my all time fav from that era though

i was raised on that show by my grandmother. the opening theme still gives me chills

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Apr 24,2011 12:55pm
The new episode was really bizarre, esp since it was a part1 and was just all questions with no answers.

toggletoggle post by Botorious N.I.G. at Apr 24,2011 2:39pm
Still the best thing on TV.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Apr 24,2011 7:53pm
narkybark said[orig][quote]
The new episode was really bizarre, esp since it was a part1 and was just all questions with no answers.

I fucking love it. (now that i've watched in in a noncoma-like state.) It really sets up the season for some wierd ass shit!

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 24,2011 7:55pm
I'm starting at the first episode and working my way up. Last night, wastching episode 1 was amazing... all these memories from my childhood are coming back.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Apr 24,2011 9:36pm
You're watching Hartnell? That's dedication. I have a hard time watching the ones I grew up with (Baker, Davison) again, never mind ALL the way back.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 24,2011 9:45pm
are you kidding me? the first episode was awesome.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Apr 24,2011 9:58pm
I've actually never seen any 1st doctor. I've seen some 2nd and 3rd but no 1st.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 24,2011 10:35pm
watching the first episode is like "oh yeah! that's where that came from!"

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 25,2011 1:54am
I started watching the second episode and the files f'd up. Lame.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:today will turn for the worse
[default homepage] [print][11:46:40pm Apr 27,2024
load time 0.97645 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]