New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> all about time signatures, polyrhthms, and hemiolas by ProgMetalDrumr on Aug 4,2010 10:05am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by ProgMetalDrumr  at Aug 4,2010 10:05am
This thread is to all of you who don't know what time signatures are. I'm going to teach you how to count quarters, 8th's and 16th's. I'll also go into how you can figure out polyrhthms very quickly even. Though you may not be able to play them at first, once you've learned this method all it takes is practicing. And in the end i will explain hemiolas and how to figure out the number of measures in which they take to match up at 1 again.
Hope you Enjoy.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Aug 4,2010 10:07am
Hahahahahahahhah this is awesome.

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Aug 4,2010 10:15am
Quit while you're not ahead.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 4,2010 10:16am
TIME SIGNATURES??

HOW DOES THEY WORK!!!?!

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Aug 4,2010 10:17am

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 10:20am
This is all outdated jargon and meaningless in this age.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 4,2010 10:29am
aril, I'm surprised at you. why are you so progressive on some things and antiquated on others? do you have a drum machine app for your iphone?

toggletoggle post by nekronautnli at Aug 4,2010 10:29am
Are you fucking kidding me dude?

Here I thought you had learned your lesson and just dissapeared.. you must be a glutton for punishment

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 10:35am
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
aril, I'm surprised at you. why are you so progressive on some things and antiquated on others? do you have a drum machine app for your iphone?

haha no I'll never stoop that low

toggletoggle post by c.DeaD at Aug 4,2010 10:43am

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Aug 4,2010 10:48am

toggletoggle post by ProgMetalDrumr  at Aug 4,2010 10:51am edited Aug 4,2010 11:05am
First, the most basic, and most used time signature is the one you all probably only know.
this means there are four quarter notes in the time signature.
the top number is how many, and bottom number represents what gets the beat.
2=halfs
4=quarters
8=8ths
16=16ths
so when you listen to music you will most likely hear the snare hit on 2 and 4.
1(2)3(4)
now for quarter time signatures you will only go up to 7 for now. really anything after that isn't really used because you can just cut it down. there are possible right ways of using them but we'll talk about that a little while later.
you have:

4 you know,

4 you might not.

just count like you normally would 4 but add that extra 1 to make 5. or add an extra 3 to make 7. it may feel a little weird at first but if you keep counting and listen to some examples then you will start to get the feeling.
-----------3------6
now with 4 and 4 we have to change though here, this is where duple and triple take place.
with duple your always counting 1+2+3+4+....... but with triple your counting 1+a2+a3+a4+a, meaning in between each note there can be either 2 or 3 pulses.
so with 4 you would be counting1(2)(3)1(2)(3). instead of 1(2)(3)(4)1(2)(3)(4)..... do you feel the difference? hopefully you do.
now the same concept applies to 4 except now you will be feeling 2 beats instead of 1. 1(2)(3)4(5)(6) 1(2)(3)4(5)(6).
the wrong way to count 4 would be 1(2)3(4)5(6) 1(2)3(4)5(6) because you
not doing triple anymore your doing duple.
this way of counting is actually turning it into 2

-------------------------------2----8----------------------------------------------4
now the reason we dont do 4 or 4 is because its pretty much the same as 4, im not really going to get into that for confusion reasons.

well that is your first lesson on time signatures go try them you might being staying in the time you do is very boring and now days makes music very generic.

stay tuned for more where i talk about 8ths and will eventually work up to combining time signatures to make even more odd feels for music.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 4,2010 10:52am edited Aug 4,2010 10:52am
c.DeaD said[orig][quote]

say what you will about Slipknot but...Joey Jordison is actually pretty fuckin nasty.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 4,2010 10:53am
ProgMetalDrumr said[orig][quote]
First, the most basic, and most used time signature is the one you all probably only know.
2=halfs
4=quarters
8=8ths
16=16ths
1(2)3(4)
now for quarter time signatures you will only go up to 7 for now. really anything after that isn't really used because you can just cut it down. there are possible right ways of using them but we'll talk about that a little while later.
you have:
4 5
4you know,4 you might not.
just count like you normally would 4 but add that extra 1 to make 5. or add an extra 3 to make 7. it may feel a little weird at first but if you keep counting and listen to some examples then you will start to get the feeling.
3 6
now with 4 and 4 we have to change though here, this is where duple and triple take place.
with duple your always counting 1+2+3+4+....... but with triple your counting 1+a2+a3+a4+a, meaning in between each note there can be either 2 or 3 pulses.
so with 4 you would be counting1(2)(3)1(2)(3). instead of 1(2)(3)(4)1(2)(3)(4)..... do you feel the difference? hopefully you do.
now the same concept applies to 4 except now you will be feeling 2 beats instead of 1. 1(2)(3)4(5)(6) 1(2)(3)4(5)(6).

2 8 4
now the reason we dont do 4 or 4 is because its pretty much the same as 4, im not really going to get into that for confusion reasons.

well that is your first lesson on time signatures go try them you might being staying in the time you do is very boring and now days makes music very generic.

stay tuned for more where i talk about 8ths and will eventually work up to combining time signatures to make even more odd feels for music.

NOW I KNOW HOW TO PLAY MUSICS!!!! fuck yes!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 10:53am
wow this kid is so smart!!!!!!! he must make awesome music!!!

toggletoggle post by josh_hates_you  at Aug 4,2010 11:02am
2=halfs
4=quarters
8=8ths
16=16ths
1(2)3(4)
you have:

4 you know,

4 you might not.

-------------3------6

-----------------------------------2-----8--------------------------------------------------4

I have naked pictures of your girlfriend.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 11:03am
LOL

toggletoggle post by ProgMetalDrumr  at Aug 4,2010 11:06am
ok there were some issues with how this spaces things, but i got all the time signatures lined up. hope your having fun with those numbers.
PEACE

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 4,2010 11:07am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
wow this kid is so smart!!!!!!! he must make awesome music!!!
I should make music then. It would be MIND BLOWING.

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Aug 4,2010 11:18am
josh_hates_you said[orig][quote]
2=halfs
4=quarters
8=8ths
16=16ths
1(2)3(4)
you have:

4 you know,

4 you might not.

-------------3------6

-----------------------------------2-----8--------------------------------------------------4

WIN

toggletoggle post by Pires at Aug 4,2010 11:19am

first and foremost, post them u won't.

second, not sure if that IS his girlfriend:
http://profiles.singlesnet.com/United%20St...assachusetts/Boston/hippie6769.html

hippie6769 - Man Seeking Woman

About me

Im just a laidback guy, I dont care what I do, or where I hang out... Im not picky. I just want a girl to do it with. Im a hippie guy/ metal head....Lol, if that makes any sense. My hair is a little bit passed the middle of my back for those girls who dont like long hair, I hardly shave, sometimes its a goatee, sometimes I grow it out for a full beard..... Some girls like it some dont. But thats about it... Im just laidback, nice guy.
My personality

I like the following outdoor activities
Other
I consider myself artistic, and I like
Musical instrument, Other
I have the following pets
Cat
My lifestyle

I smoke.
I drink socially.
My relationships

My longest serious relationship lasted 2 years.
I haven't yet married.
I don't have any children
I would consider dating someone who has children.
My education and career

I attended high school in Texas.
I attended college in Massachusetts.
My current occupation is:
Student

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 4,2010 11:37am
2=halfs
4=quarters
8=8ths
16=16ths
1(2)3(4)
you have:

4 you know,

4 you might not.

-------------3------6

My man. Knew you wouldn't disappoint on this one. LOLOLOL

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Aug 4,2010 11:44am
Do a paradiddle about it, nigger.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Aug 4,2010 11:45am
Just came out of N-word retirement for that one.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 12:00pm
I think ProgMetalDrumr represents everything I hate about Dream Theater fans and egotistical Berklee schmuks. He's also a pseudo-hippie, which is equally as bad. The one thing he's got going for him is he's one ugly motherfucker.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Aug 4,2010 1:32pm edited Aug 4,2010 1:39pm
I'm really eager to hear all the music this impressively educated man has created. Feel free to post links to your vast catalog.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 1:34pm
Invite him to Cynic, you won't.

toggletoggle post by mutis   at Aug 4,2010 3:21pm

4 is the only time signature

toggletoggle post by Archaeon at Aug 4,2010 3:26pm
I love people who have to be taught what time signatures are out of a book. Just fucking figure them out. Nigga ain't progressive.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD  at Aug 4,2010 3:29pm
The essence of rhythm is that it requires feeling, not writing mathematical equations.

toggletoggle post by substitutecreature at Aug 4,2010 3:46pm
I don't see anything about blast beats in your training.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Aug 4,2010 5:30pm

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Aug 4,2010 5:33pm
ps another one of mike mangini's students:

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by Archaeon at Aug 4,2010 5:47pm
oh shit blast beats.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Aug 4,2010 5:48pm
Can't take it, never could
Time to end it, wish you would
Friends and family, they're all gone
Life for you is just a con
Dig yourself a hole in the ground
Push up daisies six feet down
Take a dirt nap, buy the farm
Inject a bubble in your arm

[CHORUS]
Kill yourself, kill yourself
Why don't you kill yourself

Don't rely on no one else
End it all just kill yourself

Life is just a one way ticket
Everyone must go around
Here's a bucket go and kick it
Slit your wrists without a sound
When you fo don't make a big deal
No dramatics, don't overplay
Cause don't you know that we'll all fell
Better once you've gone away
[CHORUS-MOSH PART]

You're a loser, there's nothing left for you
A worthless loser, at everything you do

toggletoggle post by Archaeon at Aug 4,2010 5:53pm
This is now an SOD appressh thread.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Aug 4,2010 6:23pm
Agreed.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 6:29pm
Thirded.

toggletoggle post by nekronautnli at Aug 4,2010 6:43pm
...You're dead!

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Aug 4,2010 7:03pm
DIAMONDS!

...and rust

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 7:06pm
HEY GORDY GIVE ME A SHOT

.....BLEEARG

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 7:07pm
such a great fucking album.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 4,2010 7:40pm edited Aug 4,2010 7:49pm

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Aug 4,2010 7:45pm
I haven't given time signatures a whole hell of a lot of thought since 2007, the last time I marched in a drumline.

toggletoggle post by t2daeek  at Aug 4,2010 7:50pm
wait.... how do i fit 5 in 4?
ask frank zappa.
he's dead?
oh...
well, then shut the fuck up.

it's funny how people who get too into prog seem to have a recessive gene. that means nothing ever goes anywhere.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Aug 4,2010 10:15pm
immortal13 said[orig][quote]
I think I wanna start a band with this kid just so I can call him a douche and quit.

toggletoggle post by M nli at Aug 5,2010 9:26am
kinda surprised at all the time sig hate when this board chupa el pene del tech death

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 5,2010 9:33am edited Aug 5,2010 10:13am
I'd still like to know why this kid has prog in his name when he only listens to DT and no other prog.
I'd also like to know why he's a self-proclaimed hippie yet cannot spell Led Zeppelin.

He's on a mission to prove he's the best musician around simply because he studies the mathematical attributes of organized sonic waves at a (formerly) prestigious music school. No samples or anything.
There's just some people in the world that just don't make sense.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Aug 5,2010 9:58am
ITT: copypasta from Berklee text books.

So how about the naked girlfriend pics? Please POAST.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 5,2010 10:49am
PANDEMONIC HYPERBLASTS OR GTFO

toggletoggle post by blue  at Aug 5,2010 11:25am
M%20nli said[orig][quote]
kinda surprised at all the time sig hate when this board chupa el pene del tech death

I took assloads of theory courses along with participating in a bunch of various musical ensembles in my day, but you don't see me acting like a pompous douchebag trying to ' enlighten these poor uneducated folks' do you?

No one cares about your knowledge. Post some examples of the well crafted creations you've composed or you're a douche with no musical merit.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Aug 5,2010 11:41am
blue said[orig][quote]

I took assloads of theory courses along with participating in a bunch of various musical ensembles in my day, but you don't see me acting like a pompous douchebag trying to ' enlighten these poor uneducated folks' do you?

No one cares about your knowledge. Post some examples of the well crafted creations you've composed or you're a douche with no musical merit.

haha exactly my situation. Just because nobody is going around preaching all the shit they know doesn't mean they aren't educated on the subject. This guy is a fucking douchebag.

toggletoggle post by M nli at Aug 5,2010 11:58am
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said[orig][quote]
blue said[orig][quote]

haha exactly my situation. Just because nobody is going around preaching all the shit they know doesn't mean they aren't educated on the subject. This guy is a fucking douchebag.

Well I hate time signatures and you guys are just pompous douchebags.

toggletoggle post by M nli at Aug 5,2010 11:58am
sm over 9000

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Aug 5,2010 12:27pm
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said[orig][quote]
blue said[orig][quote]

thats 99% of berklee students for ya. always bragging "ive studied with (insert pompous douche of a teacher) which makes me better at (insert instrument here) than you!"

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 5,2010 1:18pm
i went to Berklee to learn more about screaming about rape theory.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Aug 5,2010 1:58pm
doctor who went to berklee? nigga gets around.

toggletoggle post by frogmettledumber at Aug 5,2010 2:37pm
Inca Roads has some parts in 7/8. SONG SUCKS NEEDS MORE 4/4 CHUGZ

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Aug 5,2010 4:54pm

No one's hating on time signatures; everyone's hating a on a dumb shit trying to be cool because he knows how to write out proper time signatures.

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Aug 5,2010 7:19pm
this is now a Genesis thread

bennyhillifier

bennyhillifier

fuck what ya heard 'bout time signatures... Phil is filthy!

toggletoggle post by mutis   at Aug 6,2010 9:24am
Yeah yeah its good and all giving him shit for being a douche, but I think it's funny that he's trying to teach us shit which you'd learn in the first week of advanced classes. There's gotta be a bigger word than "douche".

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Aug 6,2010 9:30am
Tyrannical Douche.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at Aug 6,2010 9:41am
Meglodouche

toggletoggle post by mutis   at Aug 6,2010 9:41am
Polydouche.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 27,2012 9:55am
Bump

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Mar 27,2012 11:39am
Paradiddladouche

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 27,2012 12:45pm
heliofightsdouche

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Mar 27,2012 3:13pm

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 27,2012 3:19pm
that was unbelievably stupid.

toggletoggle post by josh_hates_you  at Mar 27,2012 3:27pm
I still have naked pics of this douches girlfriend. If i can find the proper cable to connect my old phone to a usb port (it has an awkward sized plug) I have video of her doing naked jumping jacks too.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Mar 27,2012 3:29pm
I heard a rumor she has huge hemiolas. Deny/confirm?

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 27,2012 8:52pm
hahahahaha

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:twy again, dis time wid feewing
[default homepage] [print][1:44:10pm Apr 28,2024
load time 0.09157 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]