New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Cloning Neanderthals by ARKTOUROS on Apr 30,2010 10:06am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by ARKTOUROS at Apr 30,2010 10:06am
http://www.archaeology.org/1003/etc/neanderthals.html

If Neanderthals ever walk the earth again, the primordial ooze from which they will rise is an emulsion of oil, water, and DNA capture beads engineered in the laboratory of 454 Life Sciences in Branford, Connecticut. Over the past 4 years those beads have been gathering tiny fragments of DNA from samples of dissolved organic materials, including pieces of Neanderthal bone. Genetic sequences have given paleoanthropologists a new line of evidence for testing ideas about the biology of our closest extinct relative.

The first studies of Neanderthal DNA focused on the genetic sequences of mitochondria, the microscopic organelles that convert food to energy within cells. In 2005, however, 454 began a collaborative project with the Max Planck Institute in Leipzig, Germany, to sequence the full genetic code of a Neanderthal woman who died in Croatia's Vindija cave 30,000 years ago. As the Neanderthal genome is painstakingly sequenced, the archaeologists and biologists who study it will be faced with an opportunity that seemed like science fiction just 10 years ago. They will be able to look at the genetic blueprint of humankind's nearest relative and understand its biology as intimately as our own.

In addition to giving scientists the ability to answer questions about Neanderthals' relationship to our own species--did we interbreed, are we separate species, who was smarter--the Neanderthal genome may be useful in researching medical treatments. Newly developed techniques could make cloning Neanderthal cells or body parts a reality within a few years. The ability to use the genes of extinct hominins is going to force the field of paleoanthropology into some unfamiliar ethical territory. There are still technical obstacles, but soon it could be possible to use that long-extinct genome to safely create a healthy, living Neanderthal clone. Should it be done?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 10:06am
Old news.

toggletoggle post by ARKTOUROS at Apr 30,2010 10:10am
Should it be done?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 10:12am
But yes, why not?
I wrote a short story in highschool about this. Except we used them to do labor; a sort of "slave," if you will. Of course, the teacher didn't like it one bit.
Their cranial capacity is not as large as humans' capacity, however they are presumed to have been phsycially stronger, as shown in their skeletal structure.
Of course it has been a pipe dream of mine to clone Neanderthals and create an army of them. With the neanderthal army we could easily take over the world, resulting in the collapse of the NWO and the plan for financial dictatorship. But alas, this is not reality, but only a pipe dream of mine.

toggletoggle post by ARKTOUROS at Apr 30,2010 10:22am
Since HSS killed them off the first time, I don't see how now would be any different. They would still be treated as a lesser human. Smaller cranial capacity isn't directly linked to intellect though even in large brain span differences of our own species. No way we're ready to live alongside a different species. They'd be slaves and experiments just as you said.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 10:23am
Same thing with Mammoths. Japanese scientists want to eventually clone them. I don't see why not. Pygmy mammoths were living on a remote Siberian island in roughly 5000BC. That wasn't that long ago.
If we were to clone a mammoth, there should be no problem, as we were responsible for a bottleneck in their population before the last ice age.
We should also clone the DoDo bird. It was a huge bird, much larger than a chicken. It's meat was said to have tasted like chicken as well. We should clone the dodo bird and solve some hunger issues around the globe.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 10:27am
ARKTOUROS said[orig][quote]
Since HSS killed them off the first time, I don't see how now would be any different. They would still be treated as a lesser human. Smaller cranial capacity isn't directly linked to intellect though even in large brain span differences of our own species. No way we're ready to live alongside a different species. They'd be slaves and experiments just as you said.

they've done studies saying they were intellectual and not that "dumb." one thing they're theorizing now is that their language must have been very primitive, as that part of their brain was not as developed. Also, their vocal chords weren't like ours, which leads some scientists to believe if they had a language, it would have been much different sounding than that of humans.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 10:29am
but yes. you think we have racism today? wait till another actual species lives with us.
it's so easy a caveman can do it = racist

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Apr 30,2010 10:34am

toggletoggle post by ARKTOUROS at Apr 30,2010 10:39am
They would sound like Klingons. Totally possible they could have the same level of abstract thought with a simpler language.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 10:48am
Of course. If no interbreeding occurred, and they were still around, I'd imagine that they'd have their own culture, society, art, etc. However, we wouldn't have allowed that anyway, due to actual conflicts between the two species.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 30,2010 10:51am
i want them to do it since colbert said they were tasty. Neanderthal bacon? forgetaboutit.

toggletoggle post by ARKTOUROS at Apr 30,2010 10:53am
haha, no joke, i'm sure a Neanderthal ritual must have been pretty fucking glorious.

toggletoggle post by SHIMON1.0 at Apr 30,2010 11:01am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
but yes. you think we have racism today? wait till another actual species lives with us.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 11:01am
I was acutally going to start a Neanderthal Death Metal band called Neanderkill. Anyone down?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 30,2010 11:05am
Old news.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 11:15am
What about Sicily?

toggletoggle post by ARKTOUROS at Apr 30,2010 11:17am
lots o neandertal bones there

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 30,2010 11:18am
ARKTOUROS said[orig][quote]
lots o neanderthal there

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 11:19am
star child > Neanderthal

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Apr 30,2010 11:51am edited Apr 30,2010 11:51am

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Apr 30,2010 11:58am
Why clone them? You can just go to any hardcore show and view them in the wild.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 30,2010 12:26pm
wonder if a neanderthal vagina is better than a homo's vagina.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 12:28pm
It'd be hairy, purple, and loose as fuck.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 30,2010 1:10pm
Same thing with Mammoths. Japanese scientists want to eventually clone them. I don't see why not. Pygmy mammoths were living on a remote Siberian island in roughly 5000BC. That wasn't that long ago.
If we were to clone a mammoth, there should be no problem, as we were responsible for a bottleneck in their population before the last ice age.
We should also clone the DoDo bird. It was a huge bird, much larger than a chicken. It's meat was said to have tasted like chicken as well. We should clone the dodo bird and solve some hunger issues around the globe.

i'll have a single pillow of shredded wheat, some steamed toast, and a Dodo egg.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Apr 30,2010 1:31pm
Lol there it is

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 30,2010 1:55pm
You think I'm joking with this dodo shit? They'd be up to you waist, and would contain 30 lbs of meat.
Dodo or gtfo

toggletoggle post by TheRidersofDoom  at Apr 30,2010 3:13pm
I bet if you bred Red-Heads enough you'd get something like a neanderthal in a hundred generations. Some Believe red-hair is a trait inherited from inter-breeding with neanderthals. It makes sense, mostly Northern and edge of the world-cultures had red hair, Celts, Norse, some native tribes in Russia

They'd just look like white Negroes I bet but only oddly shaped.

toggletoggle post by TheRidersofDoom  at Apr 30,2010 3:15pm edited Apr 30,2010 3:15pm

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Apr 30,2010 6:44pm
i for one am proud of my neanderthal heritage. buying shirts with long enough sleeves is kind of a bitch though.

toggletoggle post by IllinoisEnemaBradness at Apr 30,2010 7:12pm
"454 Life Sciences in Branford, Connecticut."

so THATS what happened to 454 Big Block

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Apr 30,2010 7:12pm
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
wonder if a neanderthal vagina is better than a homo's vagina.

ITT: neanderthal chicks are DTF

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][2:11:14am Apr 26,2024
load time 0.01593 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]