New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> [books] Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium by thuringwethil on Mar 2,2010 12:19pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Mar 2,2010 12:19pm
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1450572162/

for realz?

CONTENTS: Steven Shakespeare, "The Light that Illuminates Itself, the Dark that Soils Itself: Blackened Notes from Schelling's Underground." Erik Butler, "The Counter-Reformation in Stone and Metal: Spiritual Substances." Scott Wilson, "BAsileus philosoPHOrum METaloricum." Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, "Transcendental Black Metal." Nicola Masciandaro, "Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya." Joseph Russo, "Perpetue Putesco - Perpetually I Putrefy." Benjamin Noys, "'Remain True to the Earth!': Remarks on the Politics of Black Metal." Evan Calder Williams, "The Headless Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Brandon Stosuy, "Meaningful Leaning Mess." Aspasia Stephanou, "Playing Wolves and Red Riding Hoods in Black Metal." Anthony Sciscione, "'Goatsteps Behind My Steps . . .': Black Metal and Ritual Renewal." Eugene Thacker, "Three Questions on Demonology." Niall Scott, "Black Confessions and Absu-lution." DOCUMENTS: Lionel Maunz, Pineal Eye; Oyku Tekten, Symposium Photographs; Scott Wilson, "Pop Journalism and the Passion for Ignorance"; Karlynn Holland, Sin Eater I-V; Nicola Masciandaro and Reza Negarestani, Black Metal Commentary; Black Metal Theory Blog Comments; Letter from Andrew White; E.S.S.E, Murder Devour I. HTTP://BLACKMETALTHEORY.BLOGSPOT.COM

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Mar 2,2010 12:20pm
the Wolves in the Throne Room essay I can do without, but the rest looks interesting

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 2,2010 12:21pm
Thumbs down. Overscrutinized high-minded horseshit.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Mar 2,2010 12:24pm
I think it would be a funny conference.

toggletoggle post by cinnamon ring at Mar 2,2010 12:25pm
Does black metal really need theory symposiums? Like seriously though what the fuck?

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Mar 2,2010 12:26pm
Burn this faggot book and do lines off of Gaahl's flaccid dick.

toggletoggle post by cinnamon ring at Mar 2,2010 12:29pm
I'm still curious what people could "theorize" about with black metal. This is making me lol.

toggletoggle post by thuringwethil at Mar 2,2010 12:29pm
you can click on the preview hehe

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 12:30pm
Being that bm is borrowing heavily from the philosophy of Heretical sects and more obscure religions I suppose it would only be a matter of time... Not sure how I feel about this but I would and will definately read it

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 12:32pm
cinnamon%20ring said[orig][quote]
I'm still curious what people could "theorize" about with black metal. This is making me lol.

It's pretty funny you would make such a retarded statement... Noob

toggletoggle post by cinnamon ring at Mar 2,2010 12:41pm
Well it depends if its theorizing the music or not. Who wants to read theories on what it takes to be or think black metal.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 12:47pm
the music and the philosophy are intertwined... It's what seperates BM from other genres... It makes sense that a bunch of "intellectuals" might find this interesting

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 2,2010 12:56pm
Storming through red clouds and holocaust douchechillz.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 2,2010 1:03pm
ugh, shit like this gives me gas. it's like reading anything written by Shamaatae from Arckanum. overscrutinized high-minded horseshit.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 2,2010 1:17pm
Bunch of precious fruits who do not worship the Devil trying to redefine/re-conceptualize a genre/movement rooted in Devilworship by waxing intellectual on matters they themselves likely do not comprehend and/or practice in order to justify/legitimize their role in a genre they have no place in to begin with.

/ / / faggotry

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 2,2010 1:21pm
ie. Liturgy, Krallice, Wolves in the Throne Room

toggletoggle post by thetruthaboutmuffdivers at Mar 2,2010 1:36pm
Paul%20CNV said[orig][quote]
cinnamon%20ring said[orig][quote]

It's pretty funny you would make such a retarded statement... Noob

Don't you make about a half dozen of those on here a week? Just sayin!

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 1:50pm
goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]
Bunch of precious fruits

the music and the philosophy are intertwined... It's what seperates BM from other genres... It makes sense that a bunch of "intellectuals" might find this interesting

that and that

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 1:53pm
thuringwethil said[orig][quote]
Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, "Transcendental Black Metal."
This is the guy from Liturgy right? He can die in a fire. What a masturbatory thesis.

toggletoggle post by PHILIP ANSELMO at Mar 2,2010 1:55pm
Brothuh, ain't no book in tha world,,,,,,THA MOTHAFUCKIN WORRRRRRLD, that is goanuh teach a mothafucker 'bout black metal.Look in mah eyes, theah's a dahwkness theah that you.can.not.learn.in.no.GAWDDAMN.book.
Ah don't wish mah road on mah worst enemy, brothuh.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Mar 2,2010 2:30pm
Eh, black metal is Romanticism which is inherently transcendentalist, as opposed to dualist or atheist.

That doesn't mean the thesis is not masturbatory, just that the topic has great potential.

IMHO ;)

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 2:39pm
I can see that, but not the value in exploring it. Unless I'm baked.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Mar 2,2010 2:43pm
Prediction: the pages of this book will be stuck together from the authors splooging all over themselves.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 2:57pm
It's just funny how people can jump to these be all end all conclusions without even having read the book. It reminds me of something Pat Robinson from the 700 club might do.

I think it would be pretty interesting if they approached the book from a sort of psychological Jungian perspective with theories on the origins and motives behind the philosophical aspects of black metal... It would be far more interesting than the prattling dolts that say black metal is about "devil worship" and that's all you need to know...

However, I have not read this book and I do not know the authors... I do know one thing for sure... Carl Gustav Jung is pretty damn black metal and ten times the occultist than any sap screeching about Satan and beating that same tired horse with spikes and corpsepaint... Ta ta

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 3:12pm
Jung was a scientist and a genius, the guy from Liturgy wrote an article about how to look at blastbeats from a transcendental perspective (from what I remember his discussion was posted a while back) which to me is useless. Not to say the other articles in the book don't have something to offer beyond relating Emerson and metal.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 3:20pm
and Science and Occultism are inextricably linked... For example these Hindu references to things like Anti Cosmic black metal... Well Hindu mythology in a sense is one big metaphysical analogy.

The concepts of Maya and matter... Science and Eastern mysticism go hand in hand.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 3:23pm
and blastbeats could definately cause alternate states of consciousness... Pete Sandoval is proof of that

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at Mar 2,2010 3:25pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
ugh, shit like this gives me gas. it's like reading anything written by Shamaatae from Arckanum. overscrutinized high-minded horseshit.

Totally disagree. I found Panparadox to be an engaging read.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 3:25pm

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 2,2010 3:26pm
Jung was indeed a brilliant man. I was lucky to have taken a class on Jung and his writings.

But I try not to focus on stupid shit like whatever this may be.
It seems blackmetal is now in the spotlight of attention, and people try to make sense out of it by any stretch of the imagination. I listen to black metal for myself, not anyone else. I could care less what some snot nosed cunt has to say about black metal.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 2,2010 3:28pm
Esotericism or gtfo.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 2,2010 3:29pm
I'm squarely in both camps, here. LOL I think the topic bears discussion but this particular work is like 90% sure to be a bunch of foofy douches trying to redefine shit on terms that sterilize BM of its "undesirable" elements.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 2,2010 3:30pm
Do drugs and listen to Inquisition "Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan." You'll get more out of that than this morbid game of ooky-cookie of a book.

I see what Uncle Pauly is saying and I can dig it, but I find the motives/sincerity/comprehension of the authors to be dubious. But that's just me judging a book by its cover - which I find I'm rather good at.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 2,2010 3:31pm
i know exactly why this is going to be overscrutinized high-minded horseshit. look at the cover of the book. it's a goddamn building. FORESTS OR GTFO.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 2,2010 3:32pm
haha weird timing.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 2,2010 3:38pm
ITT: Krallissa Explains It All

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 3:42pm
All of my researches have led me to conclude that the Unconscious as it was revealed through psychoanalysis has occult and even paranormal dimensions...Carl Gustav Jung

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 3:50pm

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 3:54pm
and Science and Occultism are inextricably linked...

Absolutely, mathematics, logic, philosophy, occultism, all linked foundations of modern science since the roots of civilization.

I'm just down to discredit people who want an intellectual piece of the action, warping a tenet of the black art to their own means. I'm not interested in valuizing any other individual's perspective on linking artwork to their political or egotistical gain. There is a fine line between that and philosophical exploration. An altered state of conciousness is necessary to play a blastbeat especially for an extended period. It's uniquely human, but to equate it to Romanticism? It sounds ever-reaching to a forgone conclusion to me.

toggletoggle post by Slag NLI at Mar 2,2010 3:55pm
I heard something about drugs in this thread? Is it true?

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 2,2010 3:58pm
however - Nicola Masciandaro, "Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya." - interesting to relate modern arts and specifically occultism and black metal and realize similarities to ancient cultures and beliefs.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 4:01pm
Fair enough... I can agree with that but I will also read the book first before I say what's what. I am sure it is probably tainted by some opportunist looking to make a name for himself but why would you write a book in the first place? Would it be because you want a career in such a field or that you have genuine interest in such matters or.....Both at the same time (;

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Mar 2,2010 4:02pm
arktouros said[orig][quote]
I can see that, but not the value in exploring it. Unless I'm baked.

Academia can murder any worthy topic. Look at what they did to Nietzsche
! (weep)

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 4:04pm
or more importantly look at what the Nazis did to Nietzsche

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 4:05pm
and Hindu symbols

toggletoggle post by barbeloh at Mar 2,2010 4:12pm
goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]
Bunch of precious fruits who do not worship the Devil trying to redefine/re-conceptualize a genre/movement rooted in Devilworship by waxing intellectual on matters they themselves likely do not comprehend and/or practice in order to justify/legitimize their role in a genre they have no place in to begin with.

/ / / faggotry

Apparently Ipsissimus wants people to stop reading and writing! Now that's what I call ORTHODOXY!

The book looks like lame connect-the-dots po-mo undergrad sociology to me (give me an actual scholar like Titus Hjelm or K. Khan Harris any day) and I haven't read it so I can't go to bat for it, BUT real "Jahwist" FAGGOTRY is acting like the only people who have a right to even TALK about black metal are people who make it. It's like telling people to stop reading books and start going to church if they want to say anything about Christianity. Or to India if they're inspired by LHP Hindu texts. Etc. etc.

And wtf posting the same tired old Auschwitz II chamber photo every other week? You know they preserved two chambers there. I should email you some pics I took there so you'll have a wider pick.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 2,2010 4:13pm
Eager to see the learned Barbeloh weigh in on this matter.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV at Mar 2,2010 4:24pm
arktouros said[orig][quote]
however - Nicola Masciandaro, "Anti-Cosmosis: Black Mahapralaya." - interesting to relate modern arts and specifically occultism and black metal and realize similarities to ancient cultures and beliefs.

Well this anti cosmic Satanism is pretty much Hindu concepts and gnosticism and metaphysics with a few idiosyncratic twists... Not saying anything bad about it... Definately of paramount interest

toggletoggle post by cinnamon ring at Mar 2,2010 4:58pm
I still think people think too much into this genre of music. But maybe thats a good thing.

toggletoggle post by PHILIP ANSELMO at Mar 2,2010 5:05pm
Brothuh, you awah a novice at best-AT BEST. Have you evah isolated foah days upon end lyin' upright in yoah bed with three steel rods fused to yoah spine?
the only comfoaht provided bein' the fervent hope that the dope man was on his way and endless,endless CONTINUOUS plays of TRANSYLVANIAN HUNGER? I heah you barkin' but we both know imitation is a childs game.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 2,2010 5:09pm
GODDAMN

toggletoggle post by PHILIP ANSELMO at Mar 2,2010 5:11pm
Amen to that brothuh

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 2,2010 5:15pm
'Bout ta play some doogin'.

DOOGIN'.

toggletoggle post by ark at Mar 21,2011 11:56am
bump, repost, etc

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 21,2011 12:02pm
haha

THE MORE SHIT CHANGES, ETC.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][4:23:25am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.05890 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]