New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Hipster metal! by Conservationist on Nov 25,2009 7:39pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Nov 25,2009 7:39pm
So the AV Club decided to get all wise on us about metal:

If there’s one thing in the world more head-slammingly dull than reading a bunch of online Realness Police argue about what constitutes real hip-hop, it’s reading similar web manifestos by metal’s “trü-kvlt” militia. Did they happen to spot a Mastodon album at Best Buy? Must be “hipster metal.” Did they read an interview with Boris in which Wata expressed enthusiasm for pop music? Must be “hipster metal.” Did they spot a guy enjoying The Sword who had an ironic T-shirt or thick-framed cheaters? Must be “hipster metal.”

In fact, that’s one of the hallmarks of the “hipster metal” complaint: It’s never about the music.

The irritating myth of "hipster metal," by Leonard Pierce

And then Examiner's Brett Stevens fires back a salvo in the opposite direction:

But the truth is that being a hipster isn't how you dress, where you live, or even what brand of beer you drink. It's how you approach the music. It's how you approach life. It's an attitude and philosophy.

These people called metalheads were ostracized, called geeks, belittled and spat upon for insisting metal is important. And what is that idea? Metal is the idea of worshipping power and intensity, not the "safe" and twee personalized Jesus that rock music is.

Because the people behind them are not thinking of the music as in metal as a genre, but of how they can be ironic and twee and unique, metalheads tend to write them off as "hipster metal."

Hipster Metal: no myth, but not as exciting as it sounds either, by Brett Stevens

It's about the music: metal is not compatible with twee indie rock pretending to be metal. We're not saying not to listen to it, or to ban it or burn it, just that it's not real metal in the same way Christians or Nazis pretending to be metal so they can preach at us aren't real metal.

Are we all clear on that?

toggletoggle post by pam   at Nov 25,2009 7:44pm
As a bell, sunshine.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Nov 25,2009 7:46pm
Damn hipsters. I shake mine fist at them! *shaking fist*

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 25,2009 7:52pm
firebomb allston. problem solved.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Nov 25,2009 7:56pm
The whole black metal things pisses me off. Hipsters wearing, say a Sargeist shirt because it's somewhat obscure or an Immortal shirt beacause "teehehe Abbath looks like a panda and I'm going to name my cat Abbath and me wearing this shirt show's how I'm serious about Immortal even though I think they're silly."

toggletoggle post by IRON HORSE at Nov 25,2009 8:01pm

toggletoggle post by Realness Police at Nov 25,2009 8:25pm

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Nov 25,2009 8:28pm
Poor Mick. Dude isn't even a hipster.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Nov 25,2009 10:29pm
Keepin' it real, yo!

toggletoggle post by joeyumbrella  at Nov 26,2009 12:12am
so fucking gay

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Nov 26,2009 2:01am
Rebuttal guy FTW

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Nov 26,2009 2:07am
Hipster or not, Mastodon is garbage.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Nov 26,2009 5:49am
Yawn

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Nov 26,2009 8:35am
who cares?

toggletoggle post by aril at Nov 26,2009 9:56am
Me, among others I'm sure.

toggletoggle post by aril at Nov 26,2009 10:13am
There's real fans and followers. There's real metalheads, then the people that listen to 5 bands then think they know everything about metal. Metal is more than music; it's a subculture and it always has been. Over the years, i'm sure we've all witnessed the change in direction with metal and it's fans. I've grown to be somewhat conservative with the direction it's heading in. I mean people can listen to what the want, but come on people. The subculture has been invaded by another, stay the fuck outta my backyard. There's a fence there for a reason!

toggletoggle post by Dankill at Nov 26,2009 10:55am
These are the same assholes who used to try and talk down to people who like metal with their snarky attitude even just a few years ago, but now hang on metal's dick once they figured out it's not the idiot music they thought and how it's now cool to jock metal in an ironic fashion. Just wait and see who's still hanging around in the future and not talking shit like it was a phase.

toggletoggle post by Realness Police at Nov 26,2009 11:44am
[QUOTE="aril:1009424"The subculture has been invaded by another, stay the fuck outta my backyard. There's a fence there for a reason!

Subcultural interaction = good.

There is no such thing as 'real' or 'true' metal the same way there's no 'real' hip-hop, rock, or new wave.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Nov 26,2009 12:31pm

toggletoggle post by aril at Nov 26,2009 1:00pm
k, sounds good. not going to argue as everyone has their own opinion. Not sure what else to say other than metal's subculture has been watered downed rather than matured.

toggletoggle post by KPANZER at Nov 26,2009 1:13pm
Conservationist said[orig][quote]

'So what are you gonna do? HIT ME? I bet that will make you feel ReeeEEEEEEAAaaaaal tuff huh? Just like a typical metalhead. If you lay a finger on me I will blog!'

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Nov 26,2009 2:06pm
I thought this said Hitler metal. I was way off base here.

toggletoggle post by deathlessnight at Nov 26,2009 9:04pm
"hitler metal, wanna bang my fucking head! and fist the living dead! in the middle of the night, all right! I really wanna bang my head! and fist the living dead, middle of the night my sign! the metal's in my blood, the power is here, and now, for you! HITLER METAL! SEIG HEIL!" --Demoniac

toggletoggle post by anonymousfaggot at Nov 27,2009 8:29am

toggletoggle post by KPanzer at Nov 27,2009 9:10am
Conservationist said[orig][quote]

'Hey bro, do you like XASTHUR?, umm, well anyways, the thing is, this is kind of a private party and the girl whose house this is is sorta kinda bummed out about havin' alot of people here and I mean, WE'RE cool with you guys but it's like some people have the wrong impression about you dudes and we thought we could perpetuate that by kinsda sorta not really asking you to leave.And by 'leave' we mean don't kick the living shit out of us.

toggletoggle post by hipster at Nov 27,2009 10:27am

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 27,2009 10:45am
saviours is a rock band...

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][6:40:54am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.09967 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]