New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Rackmount Power Amps by martins on Aug 13,2009 3:48pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 3:48pm
Does anyone know anything about these? As part of my whole rig overhaul, I'm looking to switch to rackmount amp and preamp.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Engl E530 for the preamp but I have no idea what to do for a power amp.

I've looked at Mesa, VHT/Fryette, Marshall, and the Carvin TS100.

I have no idea where to start. I don't like the Mesa and Marshall power amps because you can't bridge the channels to double the wattage... something you can do with the TS100. But the TS100 is being called too transparent and not tubey enough. I've only heard good things about the VHT power amps but $$$.

Any advice or knowledge to be dropped?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 13,2009 3:57pm
Where are you getting all of this money from?

Something smells fishy to me.

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Aug 13,2009 3:58pm
^this

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Aug 13,2009 4:01pm
how much do you want to spend, tiger?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Aug 13,2009 4:02pm
Pretty sure the older Mesa power amps can be bridged to double your wattage. I've got a mid 80s Simul 295 that I love. If you're patient they sometimes pop up on ebay. Pair that with the Quad preamp and you'll be rad like me.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 13,2009 4:03pm
I'm still curious how a 13 year old affords 2000 dollar guitars, mesa boogie equipment and final fantasies while in college? Martins is a man of mystery

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 4:03pm
Work, guy. Plus, I've been selling some stuff and will be selling more off after the purchases. Also, I'm not buying this stuff right now or anything. This is most likely months to a year+ away.

It helps that my parents are paying for college right now. I basically got a year free from scholarships, a year to pay off in debt from a loan and my parents are getting the rest right now. As a studying electrical engineer wanting to end up working on and designing audio gear, this is partially educational for me.

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 4:05pm edited Aug 13,2009 4:06pm
Also, I'm probably wanting to spend less than $2000 altogether which shouldn't be that hard, I think. Unless I buy NEW. Ya, fuck that.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Aug 13,2009 4:06pm
goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]
Pretty sure the older Mesa power amps can be bridged to double your wattage. I've got a mid 80s Simul 295 that I love. If you're patient they sometimes pop up on ebay. Pair that with the Quad preamp and you'll be rad like me.

I thought all of your stuff was stolen?

this is good news

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Aug 13,2009 4:07pm
2 grand on both a pre/power amp? id stay away from the carvin ts100...the older t100s are much better, and you can run one side 6L6 and other EL34 if you wanna get sexxyyy. but if you're going all out might as well go VHT.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Aug 13,2009 4:08pm
ah, I hear ya. I'm just giving you a hard time as usual.
listen to the real gearheads here; I'm not one of them by any means.

toggletoggle post by PatMeebles at Aug 13,2009 4:09pm
I've got a pretty awesome tone from my jmp 1 preamp going into a mosvalve power amp and then playing through a mesa cab

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 4:11pm
Ya, I can't find a t100 anywhere. I've found some VHTs for $900. Couples with a used E530, I think that might be pretty sweet and reasonably priced. I'm waiting to see what guitar I'm getting first though. I'm hearing back from a guy about a Parker next week and if I don't buy that, I'm getting a Carvin kit and will have almost a grand of extra money lying around.

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 4:16pm
PatMeebles said[orig][quote]
I've got a pretty awesome tone from my jmp 1 preamp going into a mosvalve power amp and then playing through a mesa cab

The thing with preamps like the JMP-1, is that I don't know for sure how much of/where the signal is being converted to digital. I want an all analog signal path (at least until I get an AxeFX... hehe)

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 4:27pm
Well, I just found a t100 for 400 dollars...

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Aug 13,2009 4:31pm
if you're running a stereo rig, id go for the carvin that way you can mix tube types. otherwise, i would say if you're going all out preamp wise why not for the power amp?

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 13,2009 4:35pm
I've been wanting to rewire my cab for stereo operation so that's a possibility but nothing is set in stone. I mostly made this thread to see what people know because there's surprisingly little up-to-date information on this stuff.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Aug 13,2009 4:41pm
cus peoplez are afraid of racks.

toggletoggle post by TRUCK_BALLS at Aug 13,2009 5:14pm

as they should be.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Aug 13,2009 5:48pm
There goes my thread :(

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Aug 13,2009 8:59pm
Ya, I don't get the fear of rackmount shit. Way more versatile in general.

toggletoggle post by douchebag_patrol at Aug 14,2009 2:43am

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 14,2009 12:39pm
I just found another T100 for like 350 so I might just try it out with the preamp section of my amp and if I don't like it, sell it again. It all depends on if I'm getting a Parker next week or not, though.

toggletoggle post by martins   at Aug 31,2009 3:38pm
Pretty sure I'm getting an ADA MP-1 (or the Engl e530, a Sansamp PSA-1.1, and some sort of stereo power amp. I'm going to rewire my cab for stereo and have one preamp for each speaker. The problem is that I don't know what power amp to get yet. I was jonesing for the Mesa 20/20 but it's more expensive and harder to find than I expected.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Aug 31,2009 3:39pm
whoa...a preamp for each speaker. You sly fox, you.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Aug 31,2009 3:48pm
Yeah I thought it was swell. Plus if I get the PSA 1.1, I'd use it for the piezos in my Parker that I'm picking up today!

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 1,2009 6:11pm
Blue/brian_dc, I'm going to this guy's house this weekend to try out an ADA MP-1 and an ADA Microtube 100. The Microtube is a hybrid design but it sounds coolio. I just wanna know what you gearfags thinks. I'm still going to get another preamp though, hehe.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Sep 1,2009 6:18pm
the mp-1 is cool, but the only hybrid power amps i really like at all are the mosvalves. the mp-1 and psa should be fairly boneriffic. look for a better power amp.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 1,2009 6:29pm
Well I'm going to see the guy this weekend so I'll find out for surez. Even if I get both, it's a pretty good deal at $400. I don't know if the guy is open to selling half his bounty. Have you ever played through at Microtube? It's getting harder to find a reasonably priced 20/20 and impossibler to find a not-insanely-priced VHT anything.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Sep 7,2009 11:43am
Just snagged an Engl e530 for $355 on the 'bay. Is this awesome? (y/n)

toggletoggle post by joeyumbrella  at Sep 7,2009 11:45am
y

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][5:42:42pm Apr 28,2024
load time 0.01415 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]