New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings by BrianDBB on Jul 16,2009 12:50pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by BrianDBB  at Jul 16,2009 12:50pm
Anybody into Dream Theater still? I'm sure most people on here will shit on these guys... but their newer album is definitely a step up from their past few. Every track is pretty solid on this.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jul 16,2009 12:53pm
they have been going in a heavier direction on the past few albums with slightly less wankery. i enjoy DT in the right mood but eventually the dudes voice just starts to annoy me too much to continue listening

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 16,2009 12:59pm
only awake is real

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jul 16,2009 1:10pm
i used listen to Petrucci's 9 minute guitar solo from their live album over and over again in high school

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 16,2009 1:11pm
^borderline mcgunk statement

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jul 16,2009 1:12pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
i used listen to Petrucci's 9 minute guitar solo from their live album over and over again in high school... but now his guitar playing is old and boring

*fixed.

toggletoggle post by JDDomnli at Jul 17,2009 9:15pm
this album is fantastic. First track is extremely dark. Very epic arrangements. Good production. Portnoy does blast on one song and it works. I'm impressed

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 17,2009 9:21pm
I love Petrucci he very slyly combines styles and techniques. A lot of people brush him aside but I read one of his guitar books and have spent many years studying the art of "I WISH I WERE JOHN PETRUCCI" and I really think he knows what he's doing, it's just in a context that isn't as awesome. If he started a new prog rock band with better members, it would be the shit. I've heard some bands he's guested with and all his parts are otherworldly.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 17,2009 9:22pm
Also, haven't heard this yet.

toggletoggle post by I_am_not_me   at Jul 18,2009 12:31am
If you listen to just the stems, Portnoy's blast is kinda sloppy.

toggletoggle post by BlackoutRick at Jul 18,2009 10:15am
Agreed that the vox get annoying after awhile. But they are insanely well-trained. Berkleeheads

toggletoggle post by brandon... nli at Jul 18,2009 3:51pm
i used to really like dream theater, but the heavier shit they do is terrible in my opinion. I havent heard the newest album yet, but im expecting it to be bad. I hated the last album with the exception of the first track. Although the melodic stuff is kinda cheesy to some people, i think they show way more emotion then when they are trying to be heavy.

toggletoggle post by neverpurified  at Jul 19,2009 9:57am

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Mental Tragic Plague
[default homepage] [print][6:10:51am May 13,2024
load time 0.01380 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]