New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> In the market for a NEW GUITAR by Martins on Jun 15,2009 7:58pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 15,2009 7:58pm
So in the next few months (if all goes as planned) I will have enough money to buy myself a high quality guitar. I'm looking to spend about $3000 - 4000 TOPS.
I've been looking at a few guitars but can't make up my mind. I also want to know if there are any others out there I don't know.
I've been looking at:
Parker
Ernie Ball
Carvin
Steinberger
and Black Machine (not really in my price range at all but I sure as hell have been looking at them)

I want to buy a high quality guitar that I can use for metal but is also versatile enough to be able to pull a variety of tones out of it. I want a pretty thin neck too, though I don't know how thin I'd like it. I'm not sure if I want a trem (I've never owned a guitar that had one) and if I did, it would need to really stay in tune. I would also want an aesthetically pleasing body shape. Though I usually don't care, if I'm paying, I want it to look nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Niccolai, Blue, I'm lookin' atchoo.

toggletoggle post by BILLY MAYS /w BOVAISM at Jun 15,2009 8:00pm
Rich Bova Signature Series.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Jun 15,2009 8:28pm
im guessing youre going for a 6er? carvin rules alone for you getting so many options, and theyve been cutting back on their prices lately. wish they did that when i ordered my 7 =(

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 15,2009 8:32pm edited Jun 15,2009 10:49pm
Ya 6 for now. I plan on being that guy that owns 20 guitars when I'm older but I need something to last me till then. I've been looking at Carvin a lot but I've never played one besides yours for a few a minutes.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 15,2009 11:18pm
bump for bed time

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 15,2009 11:19pm
http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARVEL-SAN-DIMAS-2H-C...W0QQitemZ330284388920QQcmdZViewItem

The new Charvels are awesome. If you can live without the fancy paint, you can snag a San Dimas for around $1000. Slim neck, versatile, original floyd that will stay in tune, and quite good looking imo.

However, I gotta say: You've been hounding for a Parker for a while now, and a Parker would nail every requirement you just listed. Seems like a dead match to me.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 15,2009 11:22pm
Ya I've been jonesing for a Parker pretty bad but I walked into Performance Music Center in Woburn the other day. Saw this weird guitar on the wall by a company called Flaxwood (really really interesting guitars). Got to talking to the owner about it and conversation drifted to Parker. He was a dealer up until Washburn bought them and says that they aren't worth the money. It just got me thinking that I should start looking at other guitars.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 9:07am
bump for a new day

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 16,2009 9:16am
I'm pretty interested in those Flaxwoods myself.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Jun 16,2009 9:22am
I'm sure I will be berated for this comment, but don't shell out $3000 to $4000 for 1 guitar. You can definitely get a quality ax for the $1000 range. Shit, buy a couple $1000-$1500 guitars, that should keep you busy for awhile.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 9:23am
Well, that's my cap. I'm WILLING to pay that much for an actual quality instrument.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 16,2009 9:45am
I can't pay more than 1500 for any piece of musical equip. Can't justify the bling.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 16,2009 9:50am
I would HIGHLY recommend the Bova Signature Series, like Billy Mays said. Excellent ax for the price. It even has an extra string, if you need it.

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Jun 16,2009 10:02am
Can't go wrong with a DC-series Carvin. Want a variety of tones? Get the Fishman vintage-style trem with a piezo, and either get the 135 with H-S-S, or get a H-H and coil split it.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 16,2009 10:14am
I'd definetly search used for carvins though, unless you have to have something uber custom. You can find them used all the time for 7-800.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 16,2009 10:24am

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 16,2009 10:24am
sorry, I love these guitars. Slightly obsessed.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 16,2009 11:20am

steampunk guitar - figured you'd like it due to FF

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 11:34am
lol "due to FF"
Steampunk would be the coolest movement if it weren't so gay.

I mean, if I can find a awesome guitar that can hold me over for quite a few years for half of what I'm willing, I will sure as hell buy it. I'm looking at Carvins more and more.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 16,2009 11:35am
Go acoustic - buy Martin or Taylor.

/thread

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 11:40am
Acoustics are so metal.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 16,2009 11:47am
acoustic guitars > electric guitar

Figured you'd buy a Martin, Martins.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 11:50am
I would need to buy at least two Martins so I could introduce people to my Martins and then also whip out my penis.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 12:32pm
3000 will get you a decent custom to your specs.

MCS makes probably the best quality custom guitar you can buy in the US, but there's a pretty decent waiting list.

Don't forget about RAN guitars.

and ESPs custom shop is fucking EPIC.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 12:39pm edited Jun 16,2009 12:40pm
I forgot about Ran.
MCS is Moser right? I wouldn't know where to start with a custom.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 12:56pm
And if I were you, I'd buy new.

used is obviously cost effective and you can get a GREAT guitar.

but in my experience, there's just nothing like dropping a couple grand on a brand new axe and opening that box up and everything is exactly how you want it, everything is immaculate, there's just nothing like it.

For my money, I'd have an ESP custom, a Carvin CT6 carve top with maybe some bare knuckles or dimarzios, or a ran.

I'd avoid a trem. You said you're not used to them, so I wouldn't get one on a guitar that you're dropping alot of money on, as they can be frustrating. You don't want something you drop over a grand on to frustrate you.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 12:58pm
Martins said[orig][quote]
I forgot about Ran.
MCS is Moser right? I wouldn't know where to start with a custom.

Yea. Moser custom shop. Thier imports play better then half of the 'custom' guitars alot of companies are puking out these days.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 12:59pm
Since you just put the thought in my head, I think I'm about to order one of those carvin CT6s.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 16,2009 3:41pm
Nicc, what's that Ran guitar in that picture? Looks great!

For my two cents, Carvins have always been a great guitar. However, nowadays you get what you pay for, unlike before when you got way more than your moneys worth. They're not bad by ANY measure, just not as much of a bargain.

Also check out Carparison guitars.

For another two cents, I gotta throw in my opinion on buying big expensive guitars. Around your age I got me that one big fancy electric guitar. It's great, I still have it. However, I often found myself uninspired or limited in one way or another. As you well know, I now have a RIDICULOUS collection of cheap <$500 guitars, and I've never been happier or more musically prolific. I'm not saying that you should buy a billion $200 guitars like me, I just take what I can get for lefties. But you could always pick up two REALLY nice guitars for not even close to $4000. Grab one now, and then in 8 months when you're starting to wish-you-hadda you can pick up another. Maybe one stop-tail beefmonster and one lightweight tremolo shredder. Y'know?

As for the Parker thing, what you say might explain why the guys in Pain of Salvation have suddenly switched from Parkers after many many years.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 16,2009 3:43pm
Oh, hey NICC, call me sometime! I'm working in Whitman again, I'm down the street from you like every day.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 3:48pm
caparisons are nice, but those headstock shapes are just appocalyptically ugly and easy to break.

That ran in the picture is a copy of the Rico Vixxen shape.

Bernardo Rico (bc rich)'s son sold BCR to classaxe, and then to HHI. he started his own company and that's one of the shapes.

When I was in 8th grade, I designed the exact same shape and built one with pictorials and stuff on the MCS forum. the design may or may not have been stolen from my original design haha

and neal developed a similar shape:

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 16,2009 3:49pm edited Jun 16,2009 3:51pm
Framus guitars are pretty neato, as well.

for example:

I love this guitar

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 3:50pm
ArrowHeadNLI said[orig][quote]
Oh, hey NICC, call me sometime! I'm working in Whitman again, I'm down the street from you like every day.

nice. where abouts? I'm in the same house and work at the garage accross the street so im always around

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 3:50pm
the vixen:

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 16,2009 3:51pm
I'm still with Papa's.

That moser is nasty, but I'd pass on the Kahler. I'm a floyd nut, it seems.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 16,2009 3:53pm
Yea, they also have floyded and fixed styles. Neals a big kahler fan.

Do you work with Jeff Sweeny? kids the man. he can shred too.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 16,2009 3:54pm
Speaking of RAN guitars, gotta post this:

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 16,2009 3:55pm
Jeff Sweeny? He works for me, but in 6 months I've only met the kid ONCE. He works when I'm not there. That's wicked funny.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 10:50pm
Looking at some of the guitars the ESP custom shop made...some of that shit is sick.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 16,2009 11:30pm
ESP guitars are nice, if you're right handed. Assholes seem to hate us lefties.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 16,2009 11:49pm
Fuck you, lefties!

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 12:05am

Gorgeous, expect for the EMGs. Some APCs in there would be godly.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2009 12:33am
As hard as my prick gets for the late 60s / early 70s Gibsons attainable with such a budget, I'd be more into upgrading / expanding my amplification if I had such financial resources.

I'd definitely look into some Bareknuckle pickups (great call, Nicc) and I'd pick up another Tube Screamer-like boost and an AB pedal, buy my friend's 5150 II head, have the A channel of my Simul 2:95 power amp fixed and order 2 phresh Earcandy 2x12's (I'm thinkin alligator cabs).

If I had money left over, I'd try out some of those NOS tubes that so moisten the loins of middle aged Fender nazis.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Jun 17,2009 8:50am

Gorgeous, expect for the EMGs. Some APCs in there would be godly.

I have an M-302 with that finish (procured from Hoser). Sure is purty.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 17,2009 9:57am
goat,

Last I talked to Tim from Earcandy he said that he was going to start pre-making buzzbombs, because the flooding workshop taught him a lesson. Prices are going to be up but turnaround MUCH quicker. I love my Earcandy. I cuddle with it when the lady isn't around.

My opinion about NOS tubes. If you don't have an old amp, you're wasting the talent of the tubes. The difference is huge if you have an amp with some age to it, but it's pretty subtle in modern amps. Waste of a couple hundred bucks, IMO.

I love those 10 years or so of Gibsons. And you can get them from $600-1000 usually, which is amazing.

The fact that we haven't gear nerded out in real life is a travesty, man.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 10:40am
brian_dc said[orig][quote]
Framus guitars are pretty neato, as well.

All their guitars are run through a Plek machine too which is nicies but probably adds a lot to the cost.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 17,2009 10:51am
man, I wish I knew a lot about gear like most of you guys. I'm in the dark ages here.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 17,2009 10:58am
Its best to know your craft well. Tone is life, tone is love.

Don't know if I'd ever go as far as buying a new set of BKs, its very hard to believe that I can really hear the difference in a 200 dollar pickup. I'd go for one if I found liek a Holy Diver or Miracle Man used. I'd def like to try an APC Persuader Custom in whatever high end axe I get next.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 17,2009 11:00am
I grew up writing music in DOS and/or keyboards and only picked up guitar in 2000 so I still don't consider it my "craft" although I certainly want it to be now.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 11:03am edited Jun 17,2009 11:07am
Does anyone have opinions on Suhr?

Also, so far I've only used guitars with set necks. Are there advantages to bolt ons or neck throughs?

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 17,2009 11:30am
If you're looking for the guitar the strat always wanted to be, suhrs destroy. They have fantastic floyded shredders too. Definetly a company to consider.

Neck throughs are generally going to be a little brighter with more sustain than a bolt on, which is why I'd prefer say a mahogany body NT, or some darker sounding wood to combat it. Set necks have a bit more subdued high end than BO and NT.

Aril; your case is understandable, but you've playing for 9 years, get on that shit -cracks whip-

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 11:33am
Ya, I think I'm leaning towards Neckthrough and getting a custom Carvin or ESP. Not sure but I'm pretty sure I want to go custom.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 17,2009 11:36am
Martins, you are bandless right now, right?

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 11:38am
Sort of. Doing a project with a certain black guy but, yes, I am technically bandless.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 17,2009 11:40am
Are you still selling that compression pedal you offered me over a year ago? haha

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 11:41am
I'm pretty sure I still have it around here. I'm not really sure if I sold it during that time. If I still have it, I'll sell it to you.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2009 11:46am
It really is a goddamn shame, Brian. We must remedy this.

That's cool that Tim is going to start pre-making them. I waited FOREVER for my Buzzbomb but it was absolutely worth it. Didn't know his workshop flooded. That really sucks.

I'm curious what some nice tubes would do in my Mesa gear. I've got the coveted mid 80's Simul 2:95 power amp with 6L6's and EL34's and a Mesa Quad pre-amp, which is basically the pre-amp sections of the Mark II C+ and Mark III.

One of my students is a guy in his mid 40s who buys and flips older Gibsons and Fenders. I think it's safe to say that his '74 Les Paul Custom is the nicest guitar I've ever played. His '69 SG is a close second. Those were $5000 +

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2009 11:47am
Oh, and tell me about these APC pickups...

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 17,2009 11:51am
Ryan, don't bother with corksniffer tubes in your shit. Overpiced and aren't really ideal for what you're looking for.

Google 'adder plus pickups', you should find the site.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2009 11:54am
corksniffer tubes! that's mint. i'm talking entirely hypothetical. i am presently reinventing poverty. i don't have money to get a decent set up and my intonation unfucked. where's my bailout? i hope mustaine is right and washington really gets it.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 11:56am

bennyhillifier

What guitars are these? Up until a year ago, these guys played Parker guitars forever. Now they've got these new guitars that sound great, but I have no idea what they are. I think Gildenlowe's guitar has a piezo in it like his parker did, if you listen to more clips from the "ending themes" DVD you can hear it. I'd look into these also, since they are some incredibly versatile instruments. (If Daniel can play the same guitar for an entire set including songs from every album, that's impressive!)

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 11:57am
Are they Conklin? It looks like a "C" on the headstock.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 12:00pm
I did a search and apparently they switched from Parker because Parker doesn't make a 7-string model but the newer guitars are Mayones Guitars.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 12:01pm
Speaking of Conklin, they also make a nice guitar. The guy from Redemption uses one that I'd give a left nut to get left handed. Not necessarily MY left nut, but someone's definitely!

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 12:15pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Are you still selling that compression pedal you offered me over a year ago? haha

So I think I still have it because I still have the box. I haven't found the actual pedal yet though.

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Jun 17,2009 12:36pm
I want some APCs for my Jackson...I've loved every clip I've heard.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 12:38pm
I did a search and apparently they switched from Parker because Parker doesn't make a 7-string model but the newer guitars are Mayones Guitars.

Thank you!

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 12:41pm
http://www.mayones.com/en/dokumenty/custom_shop

Awesome, they have a little flash-a-mabobby that lets you build out your own custom. I'm gonna be playing with this for an hour!

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 12:51pm
Yo Aril, I found the pedal. PM me sometime.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 12:53pm
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I want to go custom now. Carvin seems to have everything I want and I think I'm going to call in sometime and ask some questions but I think I need to decide on a body wood first before I decide which company will make it.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 17,2009 1:21pm
What are you going for neck construction týpe?

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 1:31pm
Oh, and I'm pretty sure I want to go custom now. Carvin seems to have everything I want and I think I'm going to call in sometime and ask some questions but I think I need to decide on a body wood first before I decide which company will make it.

Carvins are awesome. Good luck! Just keep in mind, they depreciate heavily, so don't plan on selling it. Make it a keeper!

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Jun 17,2009 1:50pm
Carvins actually hold their value a bit more these days. Not as much as comparable companies, but I almost never see them going under say, $700 anymore.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jun 17,2009 2:03pm
Will someone buy this thing so it stops tormenting me:

http://www.returntothepit.com/view.php?formid=60708

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 2:17pm
blue said[orig][quote]
What are you going for neck construction týpe?

Carvin does neck-through, right? I can't find as much information as I'd like on the Carvin custom shop. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 9:17pm
rump bump

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 17,2009 9:47pm
Go to the custom shop page, find the model you like, and then click "build and order your guitar"

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 9:48pm
Ohhhhhhh. Haha
I'm dumb.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 9:55pm edited Jun 17,2009 9:59pm
Ah, so I did it but some of the things I wanted weren't available. If you see this Blue, I'm going to IM you about Carvin.

edit: nevermind you just went idle, but I will annoy you some other time

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 17,2009 11:56pm
niccolai said[orig][quote]
Since you just put the thought in my head, I think I'm about to order one of those carvin CT6s.

Do you know if you can order non-Carvin pickups in a Carvin custom? I'm really leaning towards Carvin if I can put APC's in it and do the Ghost Piezo but be able to have the mags bypass the preamp (but also go into it, blend with the piezo, and also have the piezo by itself...is that picky?).
I'm probably going to call Carvin up sometime.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 18,2009 2:46am edited Jun 18,2009 2:47am
It's going to depend on how badly they are hurting for buisiness right now.

i've seen carvins roll out of the shops with various pickups.

That is a tall electrical order though.

not sure how much they'd be willing to comprimise on.

The only thing I think you may have an issue with is the neck profile on some of the guitars. You mentioned you wanted something a bit thinner.

The california models have a similar neck profile to aguile LP ripoffs, or ESP eclipse/viper necks. Definately not thick, but not really like a thin thin ibanez wizard neck either.

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Jun 18,2009 7:08am
As stated last night, Carvin will not do 3rd party pickups in their guitars:

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?p=1...74a3282549ee4d844da443866b95#152876

This confirms.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 18,2009 7:20am
No custom pickups on carvins, I had to put them in. As far as neck profile is concerned, it might be a little thicker than you might want. Make sure you get an unpainted neck. I've also heard of more profile options being avilable than before. Basically. I'd giv e Carvin a call and talk to them about it.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 18,2009 11:08am
I'm probably going to call Carvin today or tomorrow about it because I can do those two things myself...I just don't want to have to drill the hole for the extra switch myself.

sinistas said[orig][quote]
As stated last night, Carvin will not do 3rd party pickups in their guitars:

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?p=1...74a3282549ee4d844da443866b95#152876

This confirms.

Haha, alright, you win!

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 20,2009 10:55pm
So I've decided to go with Carvin.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 20,2009 11:11pm
Nice, what model?

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 20,2009 11:23pm
Well I just emailed Carvin so I'm expecting to get a response on Monday or Tuesday but it would be one of the neck-through models. I asked a bunch of questions and asked them which model I should start with to make some of the options I wanted more feasible. I really want a 25.5'' neck through and it seems that none of their 6 string models are 25.5''. I was looking at the DC400 before I noticed that. But I'm thinking walnut neck, ebony fretboard, mahogany body, walnut top. Really early stages of deciding wood plus, I don't even know if they'll do that. I just want a tonally balanced guitar I also haven't decided if I'll put APCs or BKPs in it when/if I get the guitar.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 20,2009 11:30pm
Why the emphasis on walnut? Is the top for tonal or asthetic? I'd almost say maple top to work off the mahog/walnut combo and balance it.

My DC747 is 25.5 inch scale. Never really noticed they don't do it with 6ers.

I really want to get a floyded CT6.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 20,2009 11:53pm
Walnut is supposed to be slightly on the brighter side but still well balanced. I might still go with maple, not sure.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 21,2009 12:08am
I say keep walnut on the neck. And get it unfinished.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 21,2009 12:28am
Completely unfinished? Like no gloss? Wouldn't that make it less smooth? I really don't know.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 21,2009 2:31am
Poly is sticky. Satin would be smoother.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 21,2009 10:24am
Isn't satin rough at a molecular level? Wouldn't dirt and grime get caught up in that?

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 21,2009 12:43pm
No gloss also makes for a thinner neck.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 21,2009 2:19pm
Don't you have to clean it really often and sometimes sand it if you get it unfinished. I could do tung oil but that also demands a lot of maintenance.
The people on the Parker forums are pissed at me for not getting a Parker haha.

toggletoggle post by blendermethodnli at Jun 21,2009 3:23pm
dood just get a custom squier

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 22,2009 2:11pm
I'd just get gloss. it's not going to ad more then 2mm to the thickness.

satin isn't sticky... true... for about 2 months then it dulls down and is the same as a gloss neck.

gloss necks aren't sticky anyways unless you're playing in intense humidity. unfinished necks can be just as sticky.

Gloss or bust.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 22,2009 5:21pm
niccolai said[orig][quote]

gloss necks aren't sticky anyways unless you're playing in intense humidity. unfinished necks can be just as sticky.

Gloss or bust.

That's really going to be different on a person by person basis. By sticky I wasn't referring to how tacky the finish is, (any poly coat will be tacky to start with), Moreso how it reacts with your hands/sweat. I've found that an unfinished neck plays MUCH smoother for me, since my hands NEVER sweat much and I can slide around on the wood easier than they do on a poly finished (or painted) neck. This one is REALLY personal preference, but there is a definite difference between the two.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 22,2009 7:02pm edited Jun 22,2009 7:03pm
Well I got word from Carvin... that I need to call some guy Albert before 4:30 tomorrow. I might get their cheapest neck-through model with all different shit and then also get a Parker. I also need to save up money to snatch up a B6 or B2 when the Black Machine guy starts making guitars again.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Jun 22,2009 7:57pm
Albert is their in shop luthier guy. He's the one the shaved the neck down for me, good dude.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 22,2009 8:04pm
Black Machines look awesome

toggletoggle post by contagion   at Jun 22,2009 8:18pm
there are a few people around MA who build custom guitars that you could probably get to build you one for that kind of price range..this is a little late im realizing. dana something or other, used to play in compost pile and shit. he kicks around knows pete rutcho and other guys around town. hes made a couple fuckin SICK guitars. dont really know how to get in touch with him but i;m sure someone does.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 22,2009 9:17pm
Yeah I may have a friend make me a custom in his spare time. He's made a few builds himself and it would mostly be to have a guitar my friend made but that would be alongside whatever guitar I get now.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 22,2009 9:18pm
Blue said[orig][quote]
Albert is their in shop luthier guy. He's the one the shaved the neck down for me, good dude.

Did you have to ship your guitar back yourself?

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 23,2009 4:27am
contagion said[orig][quote]
there are a few people around MA who build custom guitars that you could probably get to build you one for that kind of price range..this is a little late im realizing. dana something or other, used to play in compost pile and shit. he kicks around knows pete rutcho and other guys around town. hes made a couple fuckin SICK guitars. dont really know how to get in touch with him but i;m sure someone does.

pretty sure I saw SAW 3 with that dude and partied with him in framingham one night.

He's the man. Knew his shit too. I didn't see any of his guitars though.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 23,2009 1:10pm
So I just talked to Carvin and...Albert was a weird guy.
I asked him about a 6-string 25.5'' neck-through which apparently just does not exist and CAN not exist. "We're not programmed to do that." So I guess their CNC machines don't wanna learn some new tricks.
Then I asked about a bypass switch and he said that could NOT happen. Which I don't get...it's one more switch.
Whatever. This just means I'm not going with Carvin.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 23,2009 1:20pm
get a steinberger and touch kids

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 23,2009 1:31pm
Do those go hand in hand?

Cause my other hand is down some kid's pants.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 23,2009 4:32pm
bump for more ideas plz?

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Jun 23,2009 5:41pm
hmmmm, interesting. blackmachine it is!

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 23,2009 7:52pm
There's always custom ordering through Rondo! I just recently had an experience that again reminded me how awesome that guy's customer service is.

Also, I feel the need to say again: Get the Parker. I was thinking about it, of COURSE the guy that is no longer a DEALER is gonna say it's not that great. They're great guitars from all reviews and accounts I've heard, and from the bells + whistles and versatility you seem to want it's really the right combo.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Jun 23,2009 9:46pm

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 23,2009 10:42pm
After spending the better part of my afternoon browsing sevenstring.org and getting an email from a member on the Parker forum. I will definitely be purchasing a Parker.

But if Black Machine comes back around before I have all the money together for the Parker...

Blue said[orig][quote]
blackmachine it is!

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 23,2009 10:50pm
1400 bucks from dcgl:

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jun 23,2009 11:25pm
Maybe. I heard word from a Parker forumite that there's a used Parker for that amount. I haven't made any decisions yet so who knows what I'll do.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jun 24,2009 10:56pm
i'd offer 1300 for the ESP. DCGL usually throws in the hardshell case, strap, strings, teeshirt, and all kinds of freebees with their stuff.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jun 25,2009 1:50am

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 20,2009 11:22pm edited Jul 20,2009 11:24pm
Well, now that I'm making $550 dollars a week, I'm full swing on the guitar search. I was really jonesin' for a Parker but now I'm not so sure. I lurk on the Parker forums hardcore (and post once in a while) and there's this whole thing with tuning/trem stability now. A bunch of people have come forth with problems and that's not something I want to deal with on a new guitar. I'm waiting for a Parker representative to stop in and say his part.

In the meantime, I've been eyeing Caparison very heavily. Like rape-stare. I wouldn't mind owning a Tat II.

Edit: Also, the Mayones Regius makes my dick creamy.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 20,2009 11:26pm
Meaning, say more things to me about guitars I should get besides the Wangcaster.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Jul 21,2009 8:30am
nada mas?

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jul 21,2009 9:49am
I love caparison stuff, but I feel as if they're a bit overpriced for a bolt on, though very high quality. If you could find one used for a good price I'd say its worth it.

toggletoggle post by martinswork at Jul 21,2009 1:55pm
That Tat is a neck-through model. It's design is actually quite cool. Check it out on the website.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 21,2009 1:56pm
i have to admit, it's strange seeing "work" next to your name. never thought you'd leave the couch playing FF and actually get a job

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 21,2009 2:00pm

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jul 21,2009 2:01pm
that's a company from Norton, MA. They do amazing work...but it's obviously expensive.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Jul 21,2009 4:25pm
DAMN THATS HOT

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jul 21,2009 9:53pm

I wouldn't mind owning a Tat II.

Ricardo owned a Tat II.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 21,2009 10:33pm
Hey hombre, check out G Guitars in New Haven before you make your big decision. You'll play some of the necest guitars of your life there. Place is retarded. They have Parker, I'm pretty sure.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 21,2009 10:47pm
I'm definitely stopping by G Guitars then. I can do it on the same day I plan to check out Axe Palace. I can make it a guitar today.

i have to admit, it's strange seeing "work" next to your name. never thought you'd leave the couch playing FF and actually get a job

I don't know if I should be more insulted that you're calling me lazy or that you think the ONLY RPG I play is Final Fantasy. I PLAY POKEMON TOO.
Nah, I'm usually at school but I had two months off and now I start my coop/intern cycle at Northeastern. So I work through December at a place that's actually important. I'm working at 3M doing stuff with (multitouch) touch screens.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 21,2009 10:51pm
That sounds pretty exciting man.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 21,2009 10:53pm
Ya, Pokemon is sick.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 21,2009 10:57pm edited Jul 21,2009 10:58pm
I used to play Pokemon on Gameboy but never dared watched the show. I sincerely hope you weren't one of those kids with the Pokemon underwear who used to run around reenacting power rangers on a daily basis, all while sipping their sunny delight and playing with their Mighty Maxes and stretch armstrongs.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 21,2009 11:01pm
Let me know when you're going if you wanna be a fatty and get a bitchin lunch... if you're making it such a day of pleasantries, I would be happy to help you compound them.

And if you're not content playing PRS guitars past the point of priapism and vintage Gibson shit makes you long, there's Amity Music - a wild motherfucker on the other side of New Haven you should check out.

But I digress

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 21,2009 11:07pm
I mean, at the current rate, I'll have enough for a 2000 dollar guitar in 3 weeks. If I find one I like, I'm pretty much getting it. I want a Parker bad but I don't want to deal with tuning/trem problems. I'm at the point where I'm considering getting a guitar with a Floyd but I've never had a guitar with a trem. I gotta keep looking around to find a guitar I REALLY like.

I used to play Pokemon on Gameboy but never dared watched the show. I sincerely hope you weren't one of those kids with the Pokemon underwear who used to run around reenacting power rangers on a daily basis, all while sipping their sunny delight and playing with their Mighty Maxes and stretch armstrongs.

No way! I wore my Power Rangers underwear when reenacting Power Rangers.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jul 21,2009 11:54pm
If you've never played a floyd, don't make your first a $2000 guitar. Floyds are a love/hate thing.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 22,2009 12:01am
Ya, that's basically what I was trying to get at.
I've played guitars with trems, including the Floyd Rose system, but I've never owned one.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHeadNLI at Jul 22,2009 12:19am
Buy that used F series LTD in the other thread for $200. It's a floyd, and cheap enough to give it a go before you drop big money on a floyd. I'm a Floyd NUT, I doubt I'll ever want another stop tail in the future. (I just ordered 2 more on sunday. Brings me to 7 Floyds, and 3 stop tail.

If you like a Floyd, you'll REALLY like it. It's great for a lot more than whammy dives. (But dives are STILL required) Just playing one won't really tell you. Changing strings a few times, setting it up and trying to balance it properly, that's where you decide if you still love it or if it's not worth the effort.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 22,2009 12:58am
Floyds are a love/hate thing definitely. I love it sometimes, but it is a pain sometimes.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jul 30,2009 9:20pm
So I think I've decided to get myself a Carvin Bolt kit with a Wilkinson if I don't buy a Parker this weekend.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Aug 18,2009 7:34pm
I'll be the proud owner of a 2004 Black Parker Fly Deluxe by this time next week.

Yeah, I know black but I don't give a shit because it's still beautiful as hell and it will be my first black guitar so suck it Blue.

I will have a NGD thread just for you guys that don't care.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Aug 18,2009 9:18pm
YOU SUCK IT RICHARD

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][7:17:14pm Apr 27,2024
load time 0.10119 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]