New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> nice Ipsissimus article by goatcatalyst on Jun 8,2009 3:46pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 8,2009 3:46pm
Informational and Related Links
Bands:

Ipsissimus

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Jun 8,2009 3:48pm
Over the last two decades black metal has carved out a fruitful trail in musical history, littered with some of the most renowned and successful bands in the pantheon of extreme music. When one thinks of black metal, images of frozen tundra, ice-capped fjords, and dark medieval forests from such far off locales as Norway and Sweden immediately spring to mind. It has really only been within this current decade that black metal bands from the U.S. have begun to gain worldwide notoriety and the term USBM has actually held some meaning outside of Texas’ Absu. Despite the success of USBM however, Connecticut has never been known as a well upon which the black metal community draws from. Perhaps Connecticut’s own Ipsissimus will change that.

Formed in 2006 by Haimatokharmes (drums), His Emissary (guitars) and Tichondrius (bass/vocals) the band made an immediate impact on anyone who was privileged enough to witness them live and by December of that year were opening for the ever controversial Nachtmystium. In early 2007 the band released their “Trampling the Host” demo and the self-released “Three Secrets of Fatima” EP followed in 2008. The band would also grow their fan base considerably in these formative years opening shows for such heavyweights as Enslaved and Dark Funeral.

Taking their name from a line in the cult classic Christopher Lee film The Devil Rides Out, the band combines elements of traditional ‘90’s black metal with a satanic ethos and thrash sensibilities to form a sound that more often than not harkens back to the first wave of black metal bands, specifically Bathory and Hellhammer. Tremolo- picking and fervent speed are regularly intertwined with doom laden ruptures. Despite the obvious musical influences, I found in a recent interview that what inspires this band runs much deeper.

“The aesthetic and aura of various pieces of Satanic / Occult art provided invaluable inspiration”, said His Emissary. “I associate certain songs and even entire periods of this band's existence with various pieces of Occult film (The Devil Rides Out, Alucarda, The Holy Mountain), Satanic artwork (woodcuts, DeLancre's Tableaux, the paintings of Aubrey Beardsley) and Satanically-themed writing - whether histories of French Witchcraft or masterworks of literature such as Huysmans' ‘La-Bas’.”

It is certainly not uncommon for members of metal bands to be versed in the finer arts of world literature or 16th Century woodcarvings. It is also certainly not uncommon for said members to honestly feel that they are drawn together by some supernatural calling in order to promulgate the dark arts.

“Satanism is the foul unguent which binds our music, lyrics and imagery”, said His Emissary. “Satanism certainly has bound the three of us together, yet each of us has our own personal conception of Satanism. I myself tend toward a sort of inverted Catholicism and I pay homage to our martyrs of Avignon 1582 and those seven who in 1352 were found guilty of adoring the Goat at Carcassonne. Recently, the three of us have been bewitched by the occult art of alchemy; especially where the individual is the base matter being transmuted by divine magisterium. The Great Work. You are excrement, but you can change yourself to gold.”

If morphing yourself from nothing to gold really is the ultimate goal so to speak then Ipsissimus are doing their best impression. 2009 has already seen the re-release of the “Three Secrets of Fatima” EP on limited edition vinyl by Hot Air Press Records. The band has also recently entered Sonic Environments studio to lay down tracks for their first live EP entitled “GOATCULTRITES”, which is to be released on a limited edition cassette (Yes, cassette!). Although the band plans on taking a brief hiatus from live shows while drummer Haimatokharmes is studying abroad in Europe, there are no plans to disappear completely. The band has received “an interesting offer” for a temporary replacement behind the kit and the songwriting process continues in earnest.

Southern New England is already known as being a hot bed for hardcore and death metal acts, but Ipsissimus hope to lead the charge for a new wave of talented black metal bands to rise up and make their own dark mark on the scene.

toggletoggle post by Eli_hhcb at Jun 8,2009 3:51pm
grim and bleak

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Jun 8,2009 3:54pm
nice!

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Jun 8,2009 3:55pm
boblovesmusic said[orig][quote]
nice!

toggletoggle post by MikeofDecrepitude at Jun 8,2009 4:03pm
So I resolve my soul to free, through blackest magic and dark alchemy.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 8,2009 4:03pm
niceeee. words of truth. nice quote as well.

now it's northern NE's turn, haha

toggletoggle post by barbeloh at Jun 9,2009 3:26am
...Except for the parts of the article that make no sense:
"well upon which to draw"?
"impression" of a "morph"?
Entering a studio to lay down tracks for a live EP?
usw.
But this scribe adores the goat, yes.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jun 9,2009 7:23am
awesome, i can't wait to hear the new material. The Second Secret makes my blood turn black.

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at Jun 9,2009 9:11am
RichHorror said[orig][quote]
The Great Work. You are excrement, but you can change yourself to gold.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jun 9,2009 9:31am
One of the only USBM bands I think gets it right. Does not matter if Goat did or did not post here, I'd still love it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 9,2009 9:54am
^USBM has been sad for a number of years but I think it's getting better.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jun 9,2009 10:17am
CA and TX are known to have good USBM bands.. NE is definitely on the rise with Ipsissimus, Witch Tomb, CNV + all the other bands. Definitely good stuff coming up. Psyched.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jun 9,2009 10:31am
USBM is a shitty label. NEBM is on the rise.

toggletoggle post by Paul CNV @ The psylosyblin temple at Jun 14,2009 4:36pm
New England Black Metal will have it's day like Bay area thrash or Florida death metal had theirs. New England absolutely positively bleeds black metal.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jun 14,2009 4:37pm
glad to see the article. good band.

toggletoggle post by Eyehatehippies  at Jun 14,2009 8:00pm
Yeah, that's a cool article.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jun 14,2009 8:05pm
most usbm bands suck.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Jun 17,2010 10:45am
attn: His Emissary - sent out a DW package including Three Secrets to some chap in old Canterbury, he had nothing but good words.

toggletoggle post by Czarnobog at Jun 17,2010 11:14am edited Jun 17,2010 11:14am
nice.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 17,2010 11:24am
arktouros said[orig][quote]
attn: His Emissary - sent out a DW package including Three Secrets to some chap in old Canterbury, he had nothing but good words.

He is no doubt enjoying a fine spot of tea with his Satanisms.

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Jun 17,2010 11:58am
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
most usbm bands suck.
seriously... ever hear that band katahdin? total crap!

Awesome article! Ipsissimus rules you all.

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Jun 17,2010 12:01pm
most usbm bands suck.

You don't listen to much black metal anyway, do you?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2010 12:01pm
Many thanks. May all your Chains be Morbid!

toggletoggle post by Barry Soetoro-Soros at Jun 17,2010 12:41pm
MillenialKingdom said[orig][quote]
most usbm bands suck.

You don't listen to much black metal anyway, do you?

I agree with him. Maybe a constructive strategy would be to post a list of exceptions, and what makes them good?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2010 12:59pm
For US shit (for me), it all goes back to Slayer, Possessed, Necrovore and Profanatica. VON too, but they just obliterated 20 years of obscure cult mystique in 20 minutes the other week in London.

toggletoggle post by slaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh at Jun 17,2010 1:04pm
goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]
VON too, but they just obliterated 20 years of obscure cult mystique in 20 minutes the other week in London.

???!!!

details plz

toggletoggle post by barbelo at Jun 17,2010 2:38pm
For US shit (for me), it all goes back to Slayer, Possessed, Necrovore and Profanatica. VON too, but they just obliterated 20 years of obscure cult mystique in 20 minutes the other week in London.

A friend who was there said they SUCKED. Azarath apparently slayed everybody.

toggletoggle post by barbelo at Jun 17,2010 2:39pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

Green tea, that is.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jun 17,2010 2:40pm
VON were the special guests of Watain for their release show in London a couple weeks ago and they didn't quite live up to the hype. They did however seize the opportunity to take advantage of a major cult-for-cash moneygrab. Yosuke's stamp-collecting sycophants have been pissing their panties and applying soothing ointments to their wounded bottoms over the course of 26-and-counting pages of this thread over at the NWN forum:

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php...&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=270

Judge for yourself

New EP:
http://hotfile.com/dl/46914786/faf8ecd/von-mediaboom.org.rar

Devil Pig:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTD8CNpxhJc

(Not your father's) Veadtuck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSuBKBxyxYo

Tribal Blood merch moneygrab:

(Deplorable) "Von Varg" merch moneygrab:

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jun 17,2010 3:54pm
barbelo said[orig][quote]
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

Green tea, that is.

Pffft - real tweed-jacket Satanists go for Earl Grey.

toggletoggle post by nekronautnli at Jun 17,2010 3:58pm
VON were the special guests of Watain for their release show in London a couple weeks ago and they didn't quite live up to the hype. They did however seize the opportunity to take advantage of a major cult-for-cash moneygrab. Yosuke's stamp-collecting sycophants have been pissing their panties and applying soothing ointments to their wounded bottoms over the course of 26-and-counting pages of this thread over at the NWN forum:

ONLY LIMITED TO 15 PRINT IS REAL.

..anyway, awesome article and congrats on the label news!

toggletoggle post by Barry Soetoro-Soros at Jun 17,2010 5:26pm
For US shit (for me), it all goes back to Slayer, Possessed, Necrovore and Profanatica.

Of course!

Von is great if you like three-note songs. I do, but I mainly use them to drive Biden out of the office.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:typos add character
[default homepage] [print][11:59:16pm Apr 27,2024
load time 0.02458 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]