New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> What gear are you guys psyched about these days? by The_Rooster on Apr 13,2009 11:56am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by The_Rooster  at Apr 13,2009 11:56am edited Apr 13,2009 12:15pm
I'm super bored at work, so I'm going to start a million threads...

Anyways...

Curious what gear you guys are stoked on these days.

What are your rigs?

Are you content with your setup?

What do are you aspiring to own?

etc.

My current rig:

Gibson SG (ca. 1982)
Ampeg V4 (ca. 1974 -ish)
Ampeg Gemini II (ca. 1960-something)

I'm ecstatic about the sounds I'm getting with the V4/SG combo. Truly leaps and bounds better than the JCM2000 that I was using. Of course, to get the heavy sounds, I need the aid of a couple good overdrive pedals, since the V4 has insane headroom.

Pedal board:

Boss TU2 tuner
Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phaser
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Fulltone OCD Overdrive (love this pedal)

I will be building the following pedals soon:

BYOC Fuzz Factory clone w/ germanium trannys (ESV) - to go with the Gemini. For some reason it doesn't like OD pedals, but sounds great with a good fuzz pedal.

BYOC OD2 - combines Tube Screamer circuit (with popular mod options) with a boost channel in one pedal. This will replace the Sparkle Drive in my setup.

In the near future, I hope to stock up on a couple cool lower-wattage combo amps for my studio, as well as a real tape echo of some sort (either the Fulltone TTE or Roland Space Echo).

I'm also planning on building an Explorer using Warmoth parts this summer. All black... mmmmm.

Watchu got?

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 12:05pm
normal live rig:
'74 Gibson L6-S

Bad Cat Lynx 50
Engl Powerball

Orange 4x12
Avatar 4x12 (G12H75s and eminence 30s in an "X" pattern)
G-flex Genz Benz 2x12
EarCandy 2x12

Wobo A/B/Y_TM
Wobo looper
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Reverb
Boss EQ for FX loop (makes up for a little loss of bass and low-mid freq from TC pedals)

Shit I don't really use
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
ESP MH-1000NT
BC Rich NJ Neck-thru series Mockingbird (lol)

A few assorted acoustics...nothing of note

Ampeg 4x12 that I'll sell you for like $150

about 15 pedals I don't use and rackmount stuff I barely use.

I kind of want a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter tremolo. The idea of tap tempo tremolo makes me wet. I might get another L6-S or eventually pick up a Tele and throw a P90 in the neck.

toggletoggle post by pam   at Apr 13,2009 12:06pm
in b4 "why didn't you tag this as "gear".

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 12:07pm
Oh...and after nerding out with the guitarist from Nature/Nurture, I might pick up a Fulltone OCD pedal. Obviously I have all the gain I could ever want out of my Bad Cat and ENGL, but to have a subtle universal overdrive at my disposal would be sweet.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Apr 13,2009 12:09pm
LTD MH1000

ESP Kiko Lureiro sig

and two shockwave stacks

a shure UT wireless system, plus a few boss pedals. noise supressor, tuner, flanger, phazer, and hum eliminator in a bcb-60 pedalboard.

toggletoggle post by The_Rooster  at Apr 13,2009 12:13pm
brian_dc,

What band do you play in? You must be getting some seriously killer sounds with that amp/cab setup. I'd love to get my hands on a Bad Cat head, but for now, they're out of my reach financially.

brian_dc said[orig][quote]
Oh...and after nerding out with the guitarist from Nature/Nurture, I might pick up a Fulltone OCD pedal. Obviously I have all the gain I could ever want out of my Bad Cat and ENGL, but to have a subtle universal overdrive at my disposal would be sweet.

It's a great pedal. I usually hate OD pedals, as opposed to a good high gain amp, but the OCD sounds like a good cranked tube amp. It's very responsive to dynamics and changes in your guitar's volume/tone knobs. Can really clean up if you play lightly, then grind like a motherfucker when you dig in.

Only thing is, is that I find that, even at maximum gain, it still isn't quite enough for really heavy/saturated tones. This is why I run the Sparkle Drive before it, to push the OCD's front end a bit harder.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 12:18pm
The_Rooster said[orig][quote]
brian_dc,

What band do you play in? You must be getting some seriously killer sounds with that amp/cab setup. I'd love to get my hands on a Bad Cat head, but for now, they're out of my reach financially.

It's a great pedal. I usually hate OD pedals, as opposed to a good high gain amp, but the OCD sounds like a good cranked tube amp. It's very responsive to dynamics and changes in your guitar's volume/tone knobs. Can really clean up if you play lightly, then grind like a motherfucker when you dig in.

Only thing is, is that I find that, even at maximum gain, it still isn't quite enough for really heavy/saturated tones. This is why I run the Sparkle Drive before it, to push the OCD's front end a bit harder.

Yeah, I saw the gal from Kylesa running the OCD along with about 3 other overdrive pedals. For heavy music it's not exactly an electric ball massager.

I would probably use it just to get a more pushed clean sound than to really go for a high gain thing.

Oh, and the band thing. I'm in Mast http://www.myspace.com/mastusa

I love the Ampeg V4 sound, for the prices you can get them for they are so excellent.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Apr 13,2009 12:22pm
My set up kind of sucks.
I would have my Schecter 006 Elite go into a boost pedal then into the first channel of my rackmount ISP Decimator, then into my B-52 AT-100, then out the FX loop into the second channel of the ISP, then back into the FX loop then into my Marshal AVT something cab.

I'm getting a Parker Fly Deluxe before the year's end and I've been eyeing the Sansamp products. Getting a Vader cab I think (not sure yet) and then I need to decide on an amp though I'm considering getting a separate preamp and poweramp.

toggletoggle post by The_Rooster  at Apr 13,2009 12:25pm

Shit sounds killer dude.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Apr 13,2009 12:26pm
Martins said[orig][quote]
I need to decide on an amp though I'm considering getting a separate preamp and poweramp.

I'm thinking of doing the same since I saw steph carpenter's new rig.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Apr 13,2009 12:32pm
I just think it allows for a lot more flexibility. The problem then becomes making the decision for what you want for each.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 12:37pm
The_Rooster said[orig][quote]

Shit sounds killer dude.

Why, thank you.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Apr 13,2009 1:28pm

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 13,2009 1:35pm
hey The Rooster, do you build custom pedals all the time?

my latest rig:
Peavey Valveking Head with Hughes and Kettner Vortex Cab
BC Rich Masterpiece Bich (limited edition I think?)
pedal board: Digitech Delay, Maxon OD9, Boss Acoustic Simulator (forget model number), DOD Chorus, Boss Flanger, etc.

I really want to try to get a real thick lead sound, kind of like the older Swedish MeloDeath type thickness. I haven't got it yet.

latest recording with my new setup : http://www.myspace.com/rigelmetal

toggletoggle post by whiskey_weed_and_women  at Apr 13,2009 1:38pm
i got a decent laney head but i could use a better cab then the peavy 5150 cab im using right now.

toggletoggle post by The_Rooster  at Apr 13,2009 1:48pm edited Apr 13,2009 1:52pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
hey The Rooster, do you build custom pedals all the time?

I just started doing it recently. I've only built 2 so far. One is just a basic clean boost, the other is a 3 transistor Tone Bender Fuzz clone (think Jimmy Page fuzz sound). I buy the kits from Build Your Own Clone.

Both came out great and were pretty easy to build, once I got the hang of soldering. It's fun, save for the point-to-point wiring. That's kind of a pain in the ass.

As I get better at it, I hope to start building/modifying pedals for other people.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Apr 13,2009 1:52pm
I stopped paying attention to gear years ago. I've had my SG Faded Special for six years now and still haven't thought about getting another guitar since.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 1:58pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
hey

I really want to try to get a real thick lead sound, kind of like the older Swedish MeloDeath type thickness. I haven't got it yet.

latest recording with my new setup : http://www.myspace.com/rigelmetal

I still can't get over the fact that At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul was all about the Boss Metal Zone....ridiculous. That pedal is usually the sign of an irresponsible person. Though the fella from Trap Them was running one last time I saw it. Through his fancy vintage Ampeg and fancy vintage Marshall....haha.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Apr 13,2009 2:17pm
Brian, you are insanely wrong. Slaughter of the Soul and Trap Them rocks the HM-2, not the MT-2.

Oh, and I fully approve of this thread.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 2:17pm
blue said[orig][quote]
Brian, you are insanely wrong. Slaughter of the Soul and Trap Them rocks the HM-2, not the MT-2.

Oh, and I fully approve of this thread.

Thank god

toggletoggle post by moenli at Apr 13,2009 4:04pm
Zildjian 18" Rezo Crash (I'd also like the 19")

Sabian 19" SR2 Thin China

Zildjian 21" Rezo Ride

This snare is found at most GC's for like $180 and will most likely be my next gear purchase because I dont quite own a decent snare for the music I play mostly now.
Pacific/DW Ace Brass snare

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Apr 13,2009 6:26pm
ESP C-304 bass
Ibanez SR-506 bass
Ampeg SVT4PRO head
BBE Sonic Maximizer (one of the cheaper one channel ones)
Rackrider dual 12 band graphic eq
Korg DTR100 tuner
Furman Power conditioner
(past 5 thing mounted in an 8 space rack case)
Basson B410B 4x10 cab (that sounds the balls with my new six string)
Boss bass limiter/enhancer
Boss bass overdrive (somewhere in NY though, need to track down the guy who I let borrow it)

Plan on getting a Sansamp RBI in the very near future.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalystnli at Apr 13,2009 6:39pm
I was really happy with my gear until last Friday when some fucking cunt stole my drummer's car. Day after our show at Ralph's and my Mesa Simul 295 power amp (with the 6L6's and the EL34's), Mesa Quad preamp and Tube Screamer were in the trunk. Goodbye, ultimate tone.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Apr 13,2009 6:45pm

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 7:06pm
goatcatalystnli said[orig][quote]
I was really happy with my gear until last Friday when some fucking cunt stole my drummer's car. Day after our show at Ralph's and my Mesa Simul 295 power amp (with the 6L6's and the EL34's), Mesa Quad preamp and Tube Screamer were in the trunk. Goodbye, ultimate tone.

Duuuuude.....I'm so sorry.

toggletoggle post by Hooker in sweatpants at Apr 13,2009 8:21pm
I've been really happy with my rig for the past five years or so. I don't really want anything else too lustily. I'd love to have carte blanche of course, but I really am happy with my core stuff.

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Apr 13,2009 8:39pm
I got some really thin guitar picks. Pretty good but I can just make my own.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Apr 13,2009 8:56pm edited Apr 13,2009 9:00pm
I have no interest in actually finding pics of all of my gear...

-2007 Carvin DC747C
w/ Duncan Distortion 7 in the bridge
-1999 Ibanez RG7620
w/ DiMarzio Evo 7 (br) & Air Norton 7 (neck)
-Late 90s Gibson Gary Moore Les Paul
Stock
-1979 Ibanez RS300
Heavily modded w/ Kahler trem, DiMarzio D-Sonic (coil tap) & GFS Overwound Single Coils

-Ampeg VH-150 Head
-Fender Prosonic Head
JJ 6L6s/Tung-Sol & JJ 12AX7s
-Randall RG-125-212 2x12 combo
-Marshall 1960B 4x12 cab
Hellatone 60L/Celestion G12T-75s in an X pattern
-Misc 2x12 cab
I think its a Peavey Classic 50 thats been gutted, I threw a pair of WGS Lead 80s

[Rack]
-Furman Power Conditioner
-Korg DTR1000 Tuner
-Rocktron Hush Super C
-Moho Mods Ibanez TS-7

[Pedalboard]
-Korg Pitchblack Tuner
-Bodenhamer Chaos Modded Boss SD-1
-Rocktron Hush (old version)
-Radial Big Shot ABY

...assorted pedals/tiny amps/stuff i barely use

-2005 Peavey Grind 4
-2006 OLP Stingray 5

-Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
-Hartke HA3500 Head

Always in pursuit of new boost pedals, i'd also like to procure a OCD for the family.
I've got another empty 2x12 cab made of Marshall cab parts that i'd like to throw something different into (Eminences maybe?).
For amps, i've been feeling like I need a 100 watt tube head for sheer power reasons, my 60 watt Prosonic head only moves so much air. A 2 channel Dual Recto would fufill this need.
I'd like to obtain maybe a Peavey VTM/Butcher eventually too. Also a Fireball wouldn't hurt.
I'd definetly be interested in trying a set of SED Winged C 6L6s in my Prosonic.
I'll be putting a new active EQ/pickups in my Peavey bass pretty soon, and i'd like to upgrade my bass head to something bi-ampable, maybe a Carvin R600.
In the near future i'm also going to build a pair of frankenstein guitar & bass with combination lefty/righty parts.

omggeargeargeargeargeargeargeargeargeargeargearloveit

toggletoggle post by corpus_colostomy at Apr 13,2009 9:23pm edited Apr 13,2009 9:29pm
starting anew:

looking at guitars right now: i have a couple in mind but not which way im gonna go yet. almost made a concrete move not too long ago but moved on to greater deliberation. price range is between 1400-2k.
not gonna tell ya what model but its not gonna be a jackson or a bc rich though.

also looking forward to getting my triple x back from foolish--once i do, DEF time to retube. im content with that for the time being.

also looking into purchasing a couple decent used 4x12's.
i just want a functional rig for which to jam with a drummer and get the ball rolling..nothing to fancy. except perchance the axe.

psyched to get back in the flow again.

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Apr 13,2009 9:39pm
Jackson SLSMG / Dimarzio X2N in bridge.
Carvin DC125 / Duncan Custom Custom in bridge.
Yamaha FX325

Carvin MTS3200 (Currently looking for a cab)
Crate Powerblock (backup)
Behringer V-Amp2 (going into pc for practicing)
DOD Juice Box
Planet Waves Chromatic Pedal Tuner

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Apr 13,2009 10:33pm
corpus_colostomy said[orig][quote]
starting anew:

looking at guitars right now: i have a couple in mind but not which way im gonna go yet. almost made a concrete move not too long ago but moved on to greater deliberation. price range is between 1400-2k.
not gonna tell ya what model but its not gonna be a jackson or a bc rich though.

You're on your way to a custom shop for that kindof money my man.

toggletoggle post by i_am_not_me   at Apr 13,2009 11:26pm
Current rig:
Ibanez RG7620, DiMarzio Evolution 7 in the bridge
Schecter A-7, DiMarzio X2N 7 in the bridge
Peavey Wolfgang Special

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo
Line6 PODxt (Just got last week)
Digitech Whammy
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss NS-2

I think that about covers what I got. I'm pretty decently happy with it, although I wouldn't mind adding an 8-string or a 4x12 cab.

toggletoggle post by Eli_hhcb at Apr 13,2009 11:31pm
i feel like some of you folks have way to much money to spend on gear...Engl and a badcat? thats like....5 grand.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 11:53pm
eh, credit card and stable income and the ability to budget well enough = buy stuff you want.

It's the only thing I really spring for in my life.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Apr 13,2009 11:54pm
also

selling some stuff and finding a lot of things (not my heads) used cut costs a lot.

toggletoggle post by Eli_hhcb at Apr 13,2009 11:59pm edited Apr 14,2009 12:14am
I do understand...Don't take it as a calling out. I feel no disrespect, just jealousy.

Marshall JCM900slx 50 watt (tolex stripped, sanded down and painted "bayou green, with Purple speed knobs that go to 11)
Marshall JCM600 60 watt.
Boss NS2
480w Basson slant 4x12
PS, the drive pedal is a handmade old tube screamer clone, with xtras.

toggletoggle post by Blue  at Apr 14,2009 5:36pm
also

selling some stuff and finding a lot of things (not my heads) used cut costs a lot.

this is key. i pretty much never buy new.

btw, eli that TS clone looks sweet. The overdrive clipping selector knob, does that switch between different opamps in the pedal?

toggletoggle post by MarkFuckingRichards  at Apr 14,2009 6:19pm
I'm in no rush to update my rig yet, but I will most definitely be getting either a VHT Pittbull, Diezel Einstein or another amp that tickles my fancy as much as those two (and hopefully costs less. I also want to get a Vader cab or 2, and some type of ESP that has an original Floyd. Top it all off with a Maxon Overdrive pedal (can't remember the exact model number) and I'll be set.

toggletoggle post by badsneakers at Apr 14,2009 6:39pm
Right now I have

Mexican P-bass with a Rio Grande Vintage PUP, and a Badass bridge painted a sweet candy tangerine orange

Ristola Scroll bass with Dimarzio P/J PUPs, and a Badass bridge

For WCTL im playing out of

Peavey Classic 400
Peavey Classic 400 8/10
and a
Markbass R500
Bergantion 6/10

Have a bunch of peddles but normally use a Fulltone Bass Drive, Boss ODB, Dunlop Crybaby, Boss DD2?(which ever one has the warp) Morley ABY and a EHX Holy Grail running into just the Markbass/Berg rig.

A friend is building me a 60's Fuzz Face clone with geranium transistors so that should be cool.
I'm also looking to buy a Verellen bass head, Ampeg V4, and a Emperor 4/12 maybe a 6/12 this summer and down the road a Emperor 2/15

Yeah

toggletoggle post by Eli_hhcb at Apr 14,2009 11:34pm edited Apr 15,2009 12:49am
Gold mine!

"Settings from left to right

1) One germanium and one silicon diode.
2) Two silicon
3) Three silicon
4) Two led

PS, I can give you guys the email of the person that built it. He advertises on craigs list, so I doubt he would mind the promotion.

toggletoggle post by xgodzillax  at Apr 14,2009 11:39pm
as of right now, i have a Cort action bass. thats all.

my kit consists of:

Starion 4 piece, black.
random piccolo snare
2 sound percussion boom stands
3 to 5 sound percussion 18" clamp boom arms
Gibraltar double bass pedal with heavy Tama beaters
Gibraltar hi-hat attatchment
sound percussion boom arm
Sabian XS 18" china
Zildjian zbt 18" crash ride
Sabian B8 18" crash
Zildjian zbt 14" hi-hats
Zildjian zbt 20" ride
Solar (by Sabian) 14" china

laying around i have:
Zildjian 6.5" Zilbell
12" china, it was cheap and the name starts with an A
Zildjian sound fx splash, somewhere. lol

yeah, i dont know

toggletoggle post by s.axl.beckett at Apr 15,2009 12:04am
ORANGE THUNDAHVERB KHED. That thing seriously is awesome. Simple setup, awesome sound, and it is a bass amp and a guitar amp. Now all I need is like 10 grand.

toggletoggle post by xgodzillax  at Apr 15,2009 12:41am
i also really want THIS:

toggletoggle post by Eli_hhcb at Apr 15,2009 12:52am
I also just installed a full set of new JJ Tesla tubes. Super treble action kinda...I'm going to eventually change the first power tube to something darker.

Any suggestions? 12ax7...

toggletoggle post by blue  at Apr 15,2009 7:40am
I highly recommend a tung sol 12ax7 in the first pre amp stage.

toggletoggle post by metal_church101  at Apr 15,2009 8:39am
blue said[orig][quote]
I highly recommend a tung sol 12ax7 in the first pre amp stage.

Backed.

toggletoggle post by Eli_hhcb at Apr 15,2009 12:56pm
Thanks guys, Gonna ebay that up. Do I need to bring it to the amp shop to get biased again? probs...

toggletoggle post by blue  at Apr 15,2009 1:37pm
Pre amp tubes switching is as easy as taking the tube out and putting the other one in. Assuming you know which slot is the first pre amp stage.

toggletoggle post by madoakdevin nli at Apr 15,2009 3:08pm
My current set up, which changes out due to how I feel:
Emperor 4x12 w/ G12-75's
Emperor 1x15 w/ Big Ben
Emperor 4x12 w/ Wizards

Soon enough I'll be owning a 50 watt JCM 800 with a kt88 power section built by Emperor. It'll match my cab with Wizards.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Apr 15,2009 5:42pm
also, I'm hoping for some new trem-block that works well to come out this year to block all of the floyds in my guitars.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:think...type...click
[default homepage] [print][12:17:39am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.02220 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]