New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Can someone explain to me..... by Ryan_M on Feb 23,2009 11:44pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Feb 23,2009 11:44pm
...what these genres "post metal" "post punk" "post hardcore" and most confusing of all "post rock" mean? Does this mean the music is rock after rock? Rock, metal, hardcore and punk all still exist, so why the prefix "post"? These genre names strike me as being pretentious and meaningless.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Feb 23,2009 11:46pm
Pretty sure it just means they're more atmospheric. Dunno. I suck dick.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 23,2009 11:47pm
Haha, pretty much that.

toggletoggle post by douchebag_patrol_2 at Feb 23,2009 11:48pm edited Feb 23,2009 11:53pm

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Feb 23,2009 11:50pm
I've noticed that a lot of bands that call themselves Post-whatever usually have a more atmospheric/experimental quality to the music, which is perfectly fine, but why not just call it "atmospheric rock" or "exprimental hardcore"? I don't get this "post" business.

toggletoggle post by alexc  at Feb 23,2009 11:50pm
ill preface this by saying that i hate the use of "POST" anything in a bands description, but I believe that the post pre-fix refers to music being derivative of whatever genre it precedes but lacks all of the criteria necessary to be considered purely that genre. its the quote "next phase" in the evolution of that genre.

toggletoggle post by CassieLynn   at Feb 24,2009 1:06am edited Feb 24,2009 1:06am
It's pretty much the same thing with "core". I just don't get labels these days.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 24,2009 1:16am
post aaroncore

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 24,2009 7:34am
CassieLynn said[orig][quote]
It's pretty much the same thing with "core". I just don't get labels these days.

seriously. i've come to correlate the term "core" with "watered down, unoriginal ripoff".

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 24,2009 8:11am
I will tell napalm death about your dissent. this isn't over.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 24,2009 8:25am
Mecha-Barney Greenway has been unleashed.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Feb 24,2009 8:51am
This terminology is most likely used by fags with white belts and girl pants, or by some douchey record label trying to promote some shit band.

toggletoggle post by Beorht-Dana  at Feb 24,2009 11:01am
I think the "post-" prefix is one that was started with good intentions but is now just totally abused. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure punk was the first genre it was affixed to with the implication that "real" punk was dead. Bands calling themselves "post-punk" were influenced by the original punk scene but were trying to move in a direction that shared some of the aesthetics but was also new and fresh at the time.

That could be bullshit though. I'm just basing that on observations.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Feb 24,2009 11:13am
It's a pretentious way of saying "we play and ironic artsy fag style of said genre"

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 24,2009 11:19am
I'm with you, man.. there's so many "post-" bands now it's not even funny.
It's almost as they want to label themselves that just to prove that they're "advancing" the progress of said genre.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 24,2009 11:29am
post medio-core

toggletoggle post by MikeofdecrepitudE at Feb 24,2009 11:34am
People label GY!BE "post-rock" and Neurosis as "post-metal". I think the term "post" is thrown out there by people trying desperately to classify unclassifiable music. Coming up with "post (enter genre here)" hardly provides these bands with any justice, it's just stupid.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 24,2009 11:40am
post office metal

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 24,2009 11:43am
MikeofdecrepitudE said[orig][quote]
People label GY!BE "post-rock" and Neurosis as "post-metal". I think the term "post" is thrown out there by people trying desperately to classify unclassifiable music. Coming up with "post (enter genre here)" hardly provides these bands with any justice, it's just stupid.

I love Godspeed

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 24,2009 11:53am
You guys are way behind. Music is so 20th century - I'm into post-music.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 24,2009 11:55am
i don't even have ears. i have post-ears.they look like dicks coming out of the sides of my head and they take in post-music quite well. then they emit a sticky post-substance.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 24,2009 12:22pm
POST-PRE-CUM

toggletoggle post by darkwor  at Feb 24,2009 12:23pm
POST COCK ROCK

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 24,2009 12:40pm
post bore-core

toggletoggle post by CassieLynn   at Feb 24,2009 3:22pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
post medio-core

lol nice

toggletoggle post by Typical Liberal Douchebag at Feb 24,2009 4:21pm
Ryan_M said[orig][quote]
...what these genres "post metal" "post punk" "post hardcore" and most confusing of all "post rock" mean? Does this mean the music is rock after rock? Rock, metal, hardcore and punk all still exist, so why the prefix "post"? These genre names strike me as being pretentious and meaningless.

It means that in our new enlightened world, we can admit access to our emotions without being threatened as men. This means we not only tolerate but embrace female domination, diversity, metrosexuality and fiber.

toggletoggle post by metal_church101  at Feb 24,2009 4:33pm
Post Metal-Core

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Feb 25,2009 12:29am
One of my friends said it best... "post means you killed it"

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood   at Feb 25,2009 12:43am
i always assumed that post music was what you are supposed to listen after a show on your ride home. thats why its always slower, softer, and more melodic than the non-prefixed genre.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Feb 25,2009 2:06am
DrewBlood said[orig][quote]
i always assumed that post music was what you are supposed to listen after a show on your ride home. thats why its always slower, softer, and more melodic than the non-prefixed genre.

This is simultaneously the most retarded and brilliant analysis of post-music in it's literalness

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Feb 25,2009 2:33am
Post music means you used to be into playing rock or hardcore or whatever but then you turned into a huge pussy and now can only handle the soft versions of said genre.

toggletoggle post by Typical Liberal Emobag at Feb 25,2009 12:23pm
The crass sexism... it chokes my heart.

Post-core means you are Progressive and have evolved past being an angry Neanderthal who affirms the importance of things like war, marriage, racial purity, heterosexuality and social order.

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Feb 25,2009 12:26pm
CassieLynn said[orig][quote]

I didn't get labels 10 years ago!

toggletoggle post by metal_church101  at Feb 25,2009 12:35pm
Disco-core.

toggletoggle post by Beorht-Dana  at Feb 25,2009 6:16pm

According to Maddox, attaching "post-" to any genre just means it's fun anymore.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:sign on net, sign off brain
[default homepage] [print][10:47:14am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.05883 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]