New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Do musicians require "passion"? by Conservationist on Feb 12,2009 11:42am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 12,2009 11:42am
I run across many people who firmly believe that one "must be passionate" to play music, or that to play music "is to be passionate". That's not to mention all the bands which seek only "passionate, dedicated" members.

While I don't think there's much wrong with being passionate, insisting that it is the only correct and acceptable way to play music is... well... I'll admit it's quite useful if you are a loser. I don't have to be passionate because I'm skilled and reliable. People will hire me for gigs without ever asking whether I actually like the music, or knowing that I think the music is silly and bad. I'm up front and honest about this, so if anyone does want passion, they can hire somebody else. I've hired many other musicians in the same manner. I don't care what you think about the end product as long as you show up on time, work efficiently, and most importantly do a good job.

That's why it's usually the young, foolish and not very good bands who insist on passion.

http://www.corrupt.org/news/the_passion_of_the_bassist

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 12,2009 11:54am
I think there's a difference between musicians and composers. Musicians can play their instruments and attempt to compose, but composers can actually write good music. A composer doesn't need to know how to play an instrument, but that certianly helps with metal/rock, etc. It's rare to find someone who is both a great composer and a great musician.

There's a gap between creativity and being able to play an instrument. One can be an artist with "passion" or "desire" for their instrument or music, but lack the desire to work on their composition.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Feb 12,2009 11:55am
I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 12,2009 12:03pm
I live in a van, down by the river.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 12,2009 12:04pm
I pop pimples with a compass I used in highschool.
I eat my own dandruff.

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Feb 12,2009 12:05pm
Well, music in itself is a passionate expression of emotion and thought. If you don't have passion in music, you might as well stay away from it. Pretty simple.

toggletoggle post by Kadoogan at Feb 12,2009 12:10pm
People who play music without enjoying it, or without being "passionate" about it are the reason we have shit like this:

AND THIS:

Soul-less fucking claptrap garbage. Thanks for stirring the pot, though.

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 12,2009 12:11pm
is that Ice Cube and Kris Kubrick on Idol

toggletoggle post by moran   at Feb 12,2009 12:13pm
Musicians don't have to be passionate to be good. There are musicians that can play circles around most players, but are really boring because its all technique and no passion/feeling/soul/whatever and vice versa. Its all in personal taste and what you're shooting for, but I personally would rather listen to BB King play "passionatley" than listen to Satriani show off is "talent".

toggletoggle post by c.DeAD at Feb 12,2009 12:15pm
Soul-less yes, but damn are all those people hot.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 12,2009 12:15pm
I honestly don't know.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 12,2009 12:17pm
^^ Same reason why I get so sick of shred bands. Or bands that lack emotion in their music.
It is this sole reason why I get so sick of Rush after about 2 songs. I know a lot of people love them, but if you ask me, 90% of their songs lack soul or emotion, and the composition and style gets old. I'm not knocking their talent and passion for the instruments; but as composers, I think their style gets really boring, fast.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 12,2009 12:19pm
i think rush is a great blend of passion and talent.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 12,2009 12:34pm
My room mate in college was obsessed with Rush and played them non-stop, so I'm a little biased.

toggletoggle post by Kadooganapalm at Feb 12,2009 12:35pm
As much as I dislike Daniel Johnston and all the "look-at-me-I'm-so-crazy-and-I-can-strum-a-guitar" spin-offs he's responsible for, I'd STILL rather listen to his whiny awfulness than 99% of the tech-metal whatever the fuck, because Johnston at least came from the gut. It's all Music, some people just like to show off instead of letting things flow naturally... like... y'know... waves on the beach...

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 12,2009 12:37pm
Ben you go get a haircut

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 12,2009 12:37pm
ha, waves on the beach

toggletoggle post by Kadooganapalm at Feb 12,2009 12:39pm
W3%20@%20work said[orig][quote]
Ben you go get a haircut

You keep your dirty looks to yourself, mister.

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 12,2009 12:39pm
I SAID TRIM THAT HAIR

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 12,2009 12:41pm
mattingly, i told you to shave those sideburns!

toggletoggle post by Kadooganapalm at Feb 12,2009 12:42pm
I'M NOT A LITTLE KID ANYMORE, DAD, I'LL GROW MY HAIR AS LONG AS I WANT. It shows people that I'm not LIKE them.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 12,2009 12:42pm
i'd rather listen to someone who is sloppy and passionate than something like Necrofaggots who possess technical prowess but no heart. prime example, Bathory. Quorthon wasn't the best vocalist and was a sloppy musician, but there is more passion in his music than most bands combined. same with Godflesh and Jesu. JKB doesn't always hit the right note, nor is he loaded with insane technicality, but he made up for all of that in his ability to create incredible music.

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 12,2009 12:43pm
You're going into the Army like the rest of your family boy, they'll show you how to be a man.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Feb 12,2009 12:44pm
Mattingly!

Shave those sideburns!

toggletoggle post by Kadooganapalm at Feb 12,2009 12:45pm
I HATE YOU AND I HATE MOM! I'M GONNA GO SPEND A MONTH COMPOSING A 17 MINUTE GUITAR SOLO TO VENT MY FRUSTRATIONS

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 12,2009 12:46pm
THAT'S IT YOU'RE OFF THE TEAM!!

i still like him better than Steinbrenner.

toggletoggle post by W3 @ work at Feb 12,2009 1:03pm
i'm so happy with where this all went.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 12,2009 1:07pm
passion of the anti-christ

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 12,2009 1:09pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
i'd rather listen to someone who is sloppy and passionate than something like Necrofaggots who possess technical prowess but no heart. prime example, Bathory. Quorthon wasn't the best vocalist and was a sloppy musician, but there is more passion in his music than most bands combined. same with Godflesh and Jesu. JKB doesn't always hit the right note, nor is he loaded with insane technicality, but he made up for all of that in his ability to create incredible music.

ya know Tony for a while i disagreed with you on Necrophagist's approach until i finally sat down and listened to a whole cd from them. I was so unbelievable bored to tears with what i listened to.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 12,2009 1:10pm
i heard nothing but awesome things about them, and the same thing happened to me. it made me angry that i wasted the time listening to it.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 12,2009 1:19pm
See "Braindrill". SWEEPS, I KNOW, WE GET IT

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 12,2009 1:22pm
For comparison, see "Varg and the Burzums".

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 12,2009 1:24pm
Varg and the Uruk-Hai

toggletoggle post by Greg D at Feb 12,2009 1:25pm
Corrupt.org. More keyboard courage with nothing to say.

toggletoggle post by i_am_not_me   at Feb 12,2009 1:32pm
LORD PALMERSTON!

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Feb 12,2009 1:48pm
insert psudeo-intellectual jargon { HERE }

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 12,2009 1:54pm
i_am_not_me said[orig][quote]
LORD PALMERSTON!

PITT THE ELDER!!!!

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 12,2009 2:13pm
Greg%20D said[orig][quote]
Corrupt.org. More keyboard courage with nothing to say.

...he says, anonymously, through the internet.

You obviously win at intarnets. I bow before your superior nerdish mastery of the pseudo-socialization of internet pseudo-intellectual jargon, Sir.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Feb 12,2009 2:15pm
If you're not passionate about music, what's the point of playing it? that's a completely honest question

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 12,2009 2:24pm
wow... greg d and ellesarusrex posting?!?

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 12,2009 2:27pm
How 'bout this, Rev - does a photographer need passion?

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 12,2009 2:28pm
does a booger need passion to hang out of your nose?

toggletoggle post by Greg D at Feb 12,2009 2:28pm
Greg D is my real name.

toggletoggle post by Gregdbass  at Feb 12,2009 2:40pm
Thought I had an account here. Here is my information. So much for being anonymous.

toggletoggle post by i_am_not_me   at Feb 12,2009 2:58pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
i_am_not_me said[orig][quote]
LORD PALMERSTON!

PITT THE ELDER!!!!

DENTAL PLAN!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 12,2009 3:06pm
LISA NEEDS PASSION BRACES

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Feb 12,2009 3:12pm
I have passion...IN MY PIZZANTS.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 12,2009 3:16pm
OH NO, PIZZA ANTS!!!!

toggletoggle post by swamplorddvm  at Feb 12,2009 3:23pm
Perhaps passion is used as an excuse for making music even if one sucks at it.

"Why are you making such crappy music?"

"I have passion for music. I don't care if you like it..." blah blah and so on.

But if you are to create music on your own or start a band I'd hope you'd have SOME passion. Even just alittle.

Unless you do it for fame or popularity or just to be part of a scene, then you're just a tool.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Feb 12,2009 3:28pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
LISA NEEDS PASSION BRACES

PASSION PLAN

toggletoggle post by MillenialKingdom  at Feb 12,2009 3:53pm
PASSION OF RTTP.

toggletoggle post by alexc  at Feb 12,2009 3:54pm
think what you want about this subject. but i wouldnt be moving out of my beautiful apartment to live in squalor to afford tour and working the shittiest job ever that lets me take time off if i was anything less than passionate about my music. if you're talking about music in terms of "being hired" then you're going about it in a way that seems incredibly superficial to me. I require everyone in my band to have passion AND skill. Both are incredibly necessary to its functioning in the right way and we definitely dont suck at our instruments or suck as a band, at least not in my humble opinion.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 12,2009 4:02pm
fully funching

toggletoggle post by alexc  at Feb 12,2009 4:03pm
we are fully funching band

toggletoggle post by Ryan_M at Feb 12,2009 9:58pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]

My feelings exactly. Discharge is pretty much my favorite band for this reason; their songs had maybe 1-2 simple riffs per song, the same drum beat, and their lyrics were just a few short lines shouted over and over, but Goddamn they sounded like they slammed you up against a fucking wall and tore you a new asshole - they weren't talented musicians but the fury in their songs was unmistakable and that's what I love in a band, the ability to express true feeling and create an atmosphere regardless of their technical abilities.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Feb 12,2009 10:13pm
Gregdbass said[orig][quote]
Thought I had an account here. Here is my information. So much for being anonymous.

What Gregdbass does

Yes, yes, indeed.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Feb 12,2009 10:20pm
i don't know. to me, being passionate is about performing and practicing hard. it's about making the best of your craft on both those levels and pushing it to the best of eternity. it's about sacrifice. dedication. love for what you're doing. watching performers who aren't passionate is a waste of time. you can feel it on record too.

bathory - twilight of the gods = passion

"you can only love so many people but you can be passionate towards a million" - paul stanley

"thus spoke zarathustra"

toggletoggle post by corpus_columbine at Feb 13,2009 8:01am
RustyPS said[orig][quote]
If you're not passionate about music, what's the point of playing it? that's a completely honest question

financial gain and notoriety?

toggletoggle post by corpus_columbine at Feb 13,2009 8:03am
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
wow...ellesarusrex posting?!?

not exactly.

toggletoggle post by ellesarusrex  at Feb 15,2009 6:43pm
corpus_columbine said[orig][quote]
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
wow...ellesarusrex posting?!?

not exactly.

you will get lashings for this boy.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:click here to get internet 5.0
[default homepage] [print][1:00:12pm Apr 29,2024
load time 0.02199 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]