New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Need some computer help.... by N3rdz r k007 on Feb 3,2009 10:51pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by N3rdz r k007 at Feb 3,2009 10:51pm
Well, sorta, I actually just want to know if anybody can tell me why this has happened.

Out of nowhere my video card started getting hotter and hotter. It used to idle at 40-45 degrees Celsius, but now it's averaging in at 60 degrees, and under load it's reached 91 degrees. [It happened progressively over time, not instantly]

Now normally I'd think it was a fan issue, only problem with that theory is that it just has a giant heat sink. [Gigabyte 8500gts]. The rest of my system runs at a normal temp, but I don't understand what's up with the video card, why would it randomly start overheating like that?

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Feb 3,2009 10:54pm
I'd start by cleaning it and updating drivers.

also, make sure it's spaced away from other pci cards.

maybe even add a fan?

I honestly don't know why that would happen though.

toggletoggle post by N3rdz r k007 at Feb 3,2009 10:56pm
Yea, well the case actually has 5 fans already lol. You're definitely right with the cleaning though, the dust is starting to build up.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Feb 4,2009 8:07am
See if you can remove the heatsink. Maybe it's shifting away from the GPU somehow. Maybe clean, add new thermal paste, & reattach?

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Feb 4,2009 8:14am
Most likely a dust issue. Take the GPU out and clean it of dust.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 4,2009 8:19am
this just happened to me.
dust made the temp raise and now that it's higher, your thermal paste bakes into a clay shale. in my case then the fan worked over time and died. clean it, repaste it, and replace the gpu fan (since dust could also be slowing it down)

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Feb 4,2009 8:27am
I think he said there was no GPU fan, just passive cooling. Either way though, I think you're right... the thermal paste probably turned to poo. Take off, clean, thoroughly, remove old paste, apply new paste, reattach, ?, profit!

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Feb 4,2009 8:32am
Yea, if theres no fan then either its a driver issue, an issue with the GPU itself or a dust issue. If there was a fan chances are it was locked at 30% like all GPUs and you would need a program like rivatuner to change the fan speed.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Barbed Rain Soaked Patricide
[default homepage] [print][8:48:08am Apr 26,2024
load time 0.01230 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]