New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> What is a solid backup amp (and cheap preferably) by JustinSteele on Jan 12,2009 1:05pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by JustinSteele   at Jan 12,2009 1:05pm
Anyone here know of a good solid state that doesn't sound like shit or a good cheap tube head? My regular head is being difficult and I need a good backup amp. Thoughts?

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 12,2009 1:05pm
B-52 AT-100

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jan 12,2009 1:11pm
you ask how?
solid state

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jan 12,2009 1:20pm
Peavey XXL is a great solid state head...but I guess they've been discontinued. Sure you could ebay.

Blue might be selling his Ampeg and Fender Prosonic.

toggletoggle post by JustinSteele   at Jan 12,2009 1:21pm
i just haven't found a solid state amp that doesn't sound like dog shit. I've heard digital is improving but seriously, who wants to play through a computer?

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Jan 12,2009 1:32pm
Peavey Valve King head...

toggletoggle post by metal_church101  at Jan 12,2009 1:34pm
For the time being, my Peavey Transtube supreme is my backup head to my Valveking.

toggletoggle post by aril at Jan 12,2009 1:37pm
bastards. your backups are better than my primary

toggletoggle post by tylor  at Jan 12,2009 1:41pm
peavey makes pretty cheap tube heads that you could get used for around 300 that im sure would sound alright with an OD pedal

toggletoggle post by Aegathis  at Jan 12,2009 2:22pm
AndrewBastard said[orig][quote]
Peavey Valve King head...

toggletoggle post by metal_church101  at Jan 12,2009 4:00pm
aril said[orig][quote]
bastards. your backups are better than my primary

What is your primary? A behringer?

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 12,2009 4:13pm
My B-52 is my primary for now. First I gotta get my dream guitar, my dream rack, and then my dream head, which I have yet to discover.

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Jan 12,2009 4:15pm
eh if you're just lookin for something as a backup or practice amp, Line6 SpiderII or SpiderIII combo amps are ok. Pretty sure you can pick one of those up for 150 or so.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard at Jan 12,2009 4:15pm
I actually don't have the Peavey Valveking as a back up....YET.

I use my EVH Block Letter 5150 full time right now but I almost dont trust leaving it at our practice spot all the time so I may replace it with a VK for practice and bring the 5150 out for shows and recording.

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Jan 12,2009 4:16pm
oh sorry u were looking for a head, well same thing, Line6 isnt terrible....i didn't really like the sounds i got out my SpiderII at all but it's passable.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Jan 12,2009 4:17pm
all I want is another Gibson L6-S. That's my gear wish list...

And I want a Seymour Duncan Tremolo pedal...the thing has tap tempo, which is siiiiiick.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Jan 12,2009 4:18pm
Crate Shockwave.

I've got three of them.

for the price I paid for them, I probably could have bought any other amp in the world, but I preffere them.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 12,2009 4:25pm
dertoxia said[orig][quote]
oh sorry u were looking for a head, well same thing, Line6 isnt terrible....i didn't really like the sounds i got out my SpiderII at all but it's passable.

Line 6 amps suck the big one, in general. I've had the displeasure to playing quite a few different Line 6 amps, including Spiders, and they all sucked. No beef, all digital. The mid range sucks and there's always either too much bass or not enough.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 12,2009 4:32pm
i was going to grab a shockwave off of grant, but I seemingly do not have even enough money right now. i still want it though.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 12,2009 4:33pm
no, my primary is a hughes & kettner vortex. i've had the thing since 2000.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 12,2009 4:35pm
I thought you really liked that amp? What's not-good about it?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 12,2009 4:42pm
I do, but the fact remains that it's an entry-level amp and is outdated. It's too muddy now, even moreso than other solid-states. It doesn't mesh will with my other guitar player's amp (Hughes & Kettner Switchblade-tube)
It's lasted me 9 years, though, but I've had to repair it 3 times. I don't mind the cab so much though - it's a great cab.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 12,2009 4:43pm
I was just on the website. Those amps look nice and have nice descriptions and shit. The Rush head had 9 preamp tubes. I only have 7 in my amp :( lol

I bet it sounds epic.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 12,2009 4:55pm
Yea, I'd highly recommend Hughes & Kettner for those of you who haven't played them. They're tube stuff is top-of-the-line.

toggletoggle post by woodward at Jan 12,2009 5:02pm
valve king sounds like shit

toggletoggle post by Blue nli at Jan 12,2009 5:03pm
Ampeg vh /ss, peavey xxl/supreme, randall rg, crate gx130c and line 6 flextone 2 series are all great sounding solid state heads that can easily be found for under 400 bucks.

toggletoggle post by sinistas   at Jan 13,2009 4:02am
Used Carvin tube amps go for cheap. There's a Valvemaster halfstack on Craigslist for $300 right now.

toggletoggle post by spacecorpse  at Jan 13,2009 4:24am
NO NO NO NO Don't listen to that arilluisbm guy he doesn't know what he's talkin about and he use the good quality H&K amps to get a weak and thin sound(listen to Candlemass to hear how a H&K can and SHOULD sound) I'd say your best bet JustinSteele is either a BUGERA 6260 or 6262 which are well under a grand and sometimes you can even find them for under 500$ with a little luck, or that Peavey XXL head if you want solid state for cheap, that head I remember had some rawness and clarity to it and was pretty decent for what it is. Good luck man.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jan 13,2009 4:48am edited Jan 13,2009 4:49am

toggletoggle post by aril at Jan 13,2009 1:07pm
spacecorpse, what are you talking about? I have a cheap-ass H&K and admit saying it sucks now. their more expensive stuff is much better.

toggletoggle post by aril at Jan 13,2009 1:14pm
i am going to make an educated guess that spacecorpse is the same person who started that thread about gravside and my band, and then bashes me here without making sense.
a.) posted around the same time (4 am)
b.) type very similar

therefore, judging by his actions, I wouldn't listen to this cocksmoking uneducated trashcunt if my life depended on it. blue's recs are great, and i'll also continue to stick to my guns by saying H&K makes some of the best amps.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 13,2009 3:40pm
Isn't spacecorpse one of dwyer's buddies? Butt buddies? Butties?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 13,2009 3:48pm
whomever they are did not make sense at all and said (?) i use my amp to get a weak and thin sound? yet I've got the mid & low end almost all the way up. eh whatever, its the internet and i'll dedicate a song to them and invite them to discuss it like men

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 13,2009 3:50pm
If Rushdude uses them, I'm cool with that.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 13,2009 3:54pm
The downside (if you want to call it that) is that they're German-made and it's a little harder to find a place that knows what they're doing with it. There's a place in Providence that is licensed to fix H&Ks called B Flat Music. A small shack of a place, but very good at what they do. Again, recommended for H7K users

toggletoggle post by too lazy at Jan 13,2009 3:54pm
one of my players uses a valve king, and one uses a Genz Benz diablo, they both have maxon OD808s and they both sound great.

toggletoggle post by spacecorpse  at Jan 13,2009 6:43pm
this is exactly the sound ArilluisBM is going for. So why not just go all out and get the pedal that this band uses? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 13,2009 6:57pm
lolk

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Jan 13,2009 7:11pm
Martins said[orig][quote]
B-52 AT-100

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Jan 13,2009 7:22pm
Ya don't the guys in The Summoned use B-52s. One used a different model I think. When we played with you guys in Manchester (I think...) I checked their settings and saw that both of them had everything at 12 O'clock. Kinda dumb, IMO.

toggletoggle post by ArilliusBM  at Jan 13,2009 7:36pm
spacecorpse said[orig][quote]
this is exactly the sound ArilluisBM is going for. So why not just go all out and get the pedal that this band uses? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

haha, you're actually pretty funny. props.

toggletoggle post by JustinSteele   at Jan 14,2009 10:08am
Thanks all for the suggestions, I have a lot of homework to do now. Gracias.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Jan 15,2009 12:29pm
Martins said[orig][quote]
Ya don't the guys in The Summoned use B-52s. One used a different model I think. When we played with you guys in Manchester (I think...) I checked their settings and saw that both of them had everything at 12 O'clock. Kinda dumb, IMO.

Shaun did it like that because he used my graphic eq (the other channel) to get the sound he wanted. Jake just didn't exactly know how to use it, but yeah Shaun used the AT-100. Noe Shaun has a Madison head (forget what model) and Jake has a 6505.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type...click...no thinking required
[default homepage] [print][9:14:46am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.05976 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]