New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> ATTN: Computer nerds (HDD data recovery content) by menstrual_sweatpants_disco on Dec 1,2008 3:25pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Dec 1,2008 3:25pm
Can anybody recommend a company that does the ol' charge-you-an-arm-and-a-leg-for-them-to-dissect-your-hard-drive-in-a-clean-room-and-recover-your-data-because-you-were-a-bad-boy-and-didn't-back-your-stuff-up dealy? My work's looking for someone new to deal with and was wondering if anybody here has gotten this done and had any luck.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 1,2008 3:28pm
carina did it and the people were good. $800 for 80gb if I remember correctly.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 1,2008 3:34pm
pop it in a freezer with the anti-static bag on it and then put it in an external case asap and extract. save yourself some bucks

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Dec 1,2008 3:46pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
pop it in a freezer with the anti-static bag on it and then put it in an external case asap and extract. save yourself some bucks

I would if that worked.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Dec 1,2008 3:46pm
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
carina did it and the people were good. $800 for 80gb if I remember correctly.

What was the company name? Can you give me their contact info pweese?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 1,2008 4:04pm
It works - sometimes.
Depends on what caused you to lose the data, really. It's still not as good as bringing it to the pros. It's at least worth a shot, though..

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Dec 1,2008 4:06pm
Staples does it. The charge depends on what type of failure. If it's a logical failure and the drive still spins it can be done in store for $200 i believe. If it needs to be sent out to a cleanroom it's $1000. For a physical drive failure.......like if the drive went through a fire or was hit with a sledgehammer, it's $1500.

Pretty pricey but you don't pay a cent unless the data is recovered.

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Dec 1,2008 4:08pm
Also for anyone else wondering, Staples does solid state recovery too. If you have a flash drive or camera memory card that is corrupt or damaged you can take it into staples and they can recover it. The recovery is $99 but again, you don't pay if it can't be recovered.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 1,2008 4:09pm
dertoxia = staples employee?

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Dec 1,2008 4:11pm

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 1,2008 4:13pm
dertoxia, if you are a staples employee... take back my defective epson v500 so I can' buy a epson v750. I bought the thing in august and have been doing nothing by talking to tech support.

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Dec 1,2008 4:29pm
i can't take it back unless you bought it from my store. But if you go into the store you bought it from and make a big enough stink about it they'll probably take it back, depending on how much of a dick the store manager is.

Make sure you tell them that you're buying something else. The store will be much more willing to take the hit on the return of the v500 if they know they'll make that money back.

The problem is the margin is so thin on things like printers and scanners. The store is probably only making a few dollars if anything at all.....it's actually more likely that stores lose money on every sale. If you make them feel like you're going to buy something that will actually make the store money, like printer ink, or cables, or most of all the warranty plan, then they'll go head over heels to make you happy.

...you just gotta know the tricks

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 1,2008 4:50pm
I just want them to take it back. they make me sure that I knew I could only return it for 2 weeks and then I would have to deal with the manufacturer. lame.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 1,2008 4:51pm
plus, I can get the v750 off ebay for the price of the v500 less than what staples would probably charge for the v750

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Dec 2,2008 10:57pm
Weird. I didn't know staples did that shtuff. Errr. I imagine they outsource that to another company to do it.

Also... Aaron.. what was the name of the dudes who did your drive?

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Dec 3,2008 1:53am
i think the drive recoveries for staples are done by seagate. i don't know if seagate does drive recoveries for end users or not.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Dec 3,2008 7:01am
http://www.techfusion.com/

these guys are in fresh pond... dunno if thats too far but I have heard good things.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 3,2008 7:23am
I don't know the name. ask carina.

toggletoggle post by |an  at Dec 3,2008 8:35am
There is a company called Ontrack I've used, I think they are in Michigan. They recovered 2 drives damaged in a restaurant fire, I sent them in for a friend of mine. But it still costs in the thousands, there's no real way to get out of data recovery cheap. (Maybe there are some offshore companies?)

Heh, I've used the freezer trick a few times, that only works if the bearing in the read/write head gets stuck due to stiction... i.e. the infamous clicking sound. This is largely a problem on older drives, though.

toggletoggle post by |an  at Dec 3,2008 8:40am
Oh, I read that as you didn't want to get charged an arm and a leg. My bad, here's the link then:

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/hard-drive-recovery/

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:spell something wrong or you=narc
[default homepage] [print][6:28:45am Apr 26,2024
load time 0.01454 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]