New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Russell crowe as Bill Hicks? by oscarct on Aug 26,2008 10:52am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Aug 26,2008 10:52am
from ign.com

Russell Crowe is considering playing the lead role in a biopic of controversial comedian Bill Hicks, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The actor, who now has a gap in his schedule following the postponement of Ridley Scott's Nottingham, told the paper: "I have another project based on the life of comedian Bill Hicks, which is going from treatment to draft stage with Kiwi writer Mark Staufer."

Hicks found fame in the late '80s with his stand up routines that mixed cerebral and profane humour. Just when it seemed like he was going to break into the mainstream, he contracted pancreatic cancer and died in 1992. He also battled alcohol and drug dependancy.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Aug 26,2008 10:57am
hmm

toggletoggle post by revobass at Aug 26,2008 11:07am
I approve. Russel Crowe is a really good actor, I'm sure he will transform himself for the role.

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Aug 26,2008 11:21am
I dont mind Russell Crowe and they have some resemblance. This good be interesting.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Aug 26,2008 11:24am
I'm more excited about the project than anything. If anything, if Crowe is involved it'll be more likely to actually happen. So I'm for it.

toggletoggle post by aril at Aug 26,2008 11:29am
"You will remove your helmet and tell me you name."
"May name is Bill Hicks, comedian of the armies of the North, one of the funniest guys ever, how 'bout a nice glass of shut the fuck up"

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 26,2008 11:36am
LOL

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 12:19pm
finally a movie that actually needs to be made.

toggletoggle post by Murph  at Aug 27,2008 12:23pm
oscarct said[orig][quote]
from ign.com

Russell Crowe is considering playing the lead role in a biopic of controversial comedian Bill Hicks, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

The actor, who now has a gap in his schedule following the postponement of Ridley Scott's Nottingham, told the paper: "I have another project based on the life of comedian Bill Hicks, which is going from treatment to draft stage with Kiwi writer Mark Staufer."

Hicks found fame in the late '80s with his stand up routines that mixed cerebral and profane humour. Just when it seemed like he was going to break into the mainstream, he contracted pancreatic cancer and died in 1992. He also battled alcohol and drug dependancy.

Pretty sure he didn't die in 92.

Pretty sure it was 94.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 1:12pm
fuck Russell Crowe
shitty actor!
total fag!
this would be a pure disrespect to one of the best comics to ever live!!!

you wanna see a good movie based on the life of a comedian?
Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce.... that was fucking amazing!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 1:14pm
gonna have to disagree with you there. i think this will only bring Bill Hicks work to the light of a new generation that has missed out on it.

toggletoggle post by Conservationist  at Aug 27,2008 1:15pm
Wasn't Hicks from Houston?

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 1:18pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
gonna have to disagree with you there. i think this will only bring Bill Hicks work to the light of a new generation that has missed out on it.

i agree that the idea of the movie is good in that respect.
just needs a better actor.

i think with a little make up, Lewis Black could look just like him, and do a way better job representing the anger that Bill had, than Russel Crowe ever could.

maybe Robin Williams....a little annoying and flamboyant, but a talented actor, and huge Hicks fan

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 1:21pm
wont be able to tell i think until the movie comes out. if i remember correctly alot of people (myself included) thought Heath Ledger couldnt pull off the Joker. it remains to be seen. i think Russell at least looks kinda like Bill and has the same demeanor.

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 1:24pm
I would say Russel Crowe is a pretty talented and dedicated actor. I don't think getting another comedian to play a serious dramatic role in a bio-pic is a good idea at all.

Movies in which Russel Crowe has been good:

American Gangster (2007)
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Cinderella Man (2005)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Gladiator (2000)
The Insider (1999)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
The Quick and the Dead (1995)
Romper Stomper (1992)

toggletoggle post by aril at Aug 27,2008 1:28pm
Is 3:10 to Yuma any good? I haven't seen that yet.

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 1:30pm
aril said[orig][quote]

Yes. It kicks ass. I actually just got the DVD last night.

toggletoggle post by aril at Aug 27,2008 1:34pm
Didn't you play a show last night? Damn, you're all over the place.

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 1:38pm
Nah that was Monday. Last night I smoked some incredibly sour diesel and blueberry with my buddy and watched the Red Sox beat the faggot Yankees. A-Rod is a bitch..

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 1:38pm
incredible*

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 1:40pm
rbass said[orig][quote]
aril said[orig][quote]

Yes. It kicks ass. I actually just got the DVD last night.

seconded. Christian Bale is great as well in this

toggletoggle post by aril at Aug 27,2008 1:42pm
At Berk to the lee?

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 1:49pm
aril said[orig][quote]
At Berk to the lee?

Is this directed to me? Nahh I don't go there. You're thinking of the gitterist.
'

toggletoggle post by aril at Aug 27,2008 1:53pm
I thought everyone went there. In fact, I thought I remembered you telling me you did at one of your shows? WTF?

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 1:56pm
aril said[orig][quote]
I thought everyone went there. In fact, I thought I remembered you telling me you did at one of your shows? WTF?

Hmm, nope. I go to school elsewhere. I did a summer semester at Berklee before I started my undergrad. And I did programs there throughout high school, but that's it.

toggletoggle post by DogbiteDaveHumphreys at Aug 27,2008 2:43pm
Crowe as Goat Boy. He can pull it off.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 2:49pm
wont be able to tell i think until the movie comes out. if i remember correctly alot of people (myself included) thought Heath Ledger couldnt pull off the Joker. it remains to be seen. i think Russell at least looks kinda like Bill and has the same demeanor.

fuck heath ledger
i'm glad he's dead, and i'll never watch that gay, overhyped new batman movie

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 2:52pm
rbass said[orig][quote]
I would say Russel Crowe is a pretty talented and dedicated actor. I don't think getting another comedian to play a serious dramatic role in a bio-pic is a good idea at all.

Movies in which Russel Crowe has been good:

American Gangster (2007)
Cinderella Man (2005)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Gladiator (2000)
The Insider (1999)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
Romper Stomper (1992)

all shitty movies
russel crowe = overrated....i hope he jumps on the heath ledger train and grows very fond of sleeping pills.

and i think robin williams or lewis black would perfect for the role of hicks because they both have acting experience (and are capable of drama), and they are both comedians, and fans of his work (so they....unlike russell...would kinda know where he was coming from)...
plus, lewis black is the angriest fuck to set foot in a comedy club since hicks.

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 2:56pm
orgymf@work said[orig][quote]

American Gangster (2007)
Cinderella Man (2005)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Gladiator (2000)
The Insider (1999)
L.A. Confidential (1997)
Romper Stomper (1992)

all shitty movies

You have strange taste in movies. I could see not liking some of these, but all of them shitty? What constitutes a good movie to you?

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 2:59pm

fuck heath ledger

how do you know if its overhyped if you havent watched it?

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 3:01pm
to me, if it's not horror, exploitation, based on a true story(that's in relation to something i give a shit about)or really funny....it isn't worth watching....and even then, i'm selective about which flicks in those cattegories i'll watch.

there are very few movies that fall outside these guidelines that i really dig.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 3:04pm

fuck heath ledger

2 reasons

one i have heard 384084509384590823036 reviews, and had the entire plot and every action scene explained to me, and it sounds retarded.

two i hated batman begins, this movie is just that plus more explosions, and a really gay actor who couldn't possibly live up to Nicholson.

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 3:07pm

So true. Trying to defend an opinion that is based on absolutely nothing (ie hearsay and prejudice) is pretty foolish.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 3:08pm
picky picky

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 3:12pm
i wouldn't say it's foolish at all.
you see, i have about 20 websites, some co-workers, and som friends who tell me about movies all the time.... the more i hear about a movie, the more i can predict how little (or how much) i will think of it

99 percent of the time, my predictions are accurate.....it's not like i'm getting biased opinions from people, i'm getting exact descriptions of what happened in the flick.

between what i am told and what i see in trailers and sneak previews, it's easy to figure them out.

so if i am litterally proven wrong (about what my opinion will be on a movie - after hearing (x) amount of info - would be) once out of every hundred flicks......why is that so foolish?

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 3:13pm
picky picky

picky? how about i know what i like.
if my opinion urks you that much, don't read it man

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 3:25pm
you see, i have about 20 websites, some co-workers, and som friends who tell me about movies all the time.... the more i hear about a movie, the more i can predict how little (or how much) i will think of it

99 percent of the time, my predictions are accurate.....it's not like i'm getting biased opinions from people, i'm getting exact descriptions of what happened in the flick.

between what i am told and what i see in trailers and sneak previews, it's easy to figure them out.

so if i am litterally proven wrong (about what my opinion will be on a movie - after hearing (x) amount of info - would be) once out of every hundred flicks......why is that so foolish?

I think it makes more sense to avoid reading reviews and listening to other people talk about films until you watch them and can judge for yourself. You seem to be extremely picky about the movies that you enjoy so maybe doing what you do makes more sense for you.

In my experience, I find my opinions are often unique (i.e. very different from my friends' opinions or those expressed in reviews), so I try not to listen to what others think until I have seen something and can make up my own mind about it.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 3:25pm
jeez dude chill out. this is just a discussion.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 27,2008 3:26pm
i have a feeling this will be similar to Man on the Moon (Jim Carrey's take on Andy Kaufman)

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 3:41pm
jeez dude chill out. this is just a discussion.

i am calm
all i said is if my opinion bugs you....read someone else's
no anger.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 27,2008 3:43pm
rbass said[orig][quote]

I think it makes more sense to avoid reading reviews and listening to other people talk about films until you watch them and can judge for yourself. You seem to be extremely picky about the movies that you enjoy so maybe doing what you do makes more sense for you.

In my experience, I find my opinions are often unique (i.e. very different from my friends' opinions or those expressed in reviews), so I try not to listen to what others think until I have seen something and can make up my own mind about it.

see, for most people, that is how it works, they just see it for themselves.

but for me, i can usually (based on spoilers, teasers, trailers and reviews) form an opinion as to whether or not i would waste my time on it.

and like i said, i'm not picky.... i just know what i like.

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 27,2008 3:44pm
Cool.

toggletoggle post by SkinSandwich at Aug 27,2008 4:04pm
Classic Bill Hicks

I've learned a lot about women. I think I've learned exactly how the fall of man occured in the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, and Adam said one day, "Wow, Eve, here we are, at one with nature, at one with God, we'll never age, we'll never die, and all our dreams come true the instant that we have them." And Eve said, "Yeah... it's just not enough is it?"

haha, so true.

toggletoggle post by ouchdrummer   at Aug 27,2008 4:09pm
yeah, i for one am actually pretty thrilled about this. I was just showing some of my 19year old buddies from my rehearsal building Bill hicks last night, they fucking loved it.

toggletoggle post by oscarct  at Aug 27,2008 4:09pm
I think Russell Crowe may be able to pull it off. Im not going to knock this movie before it has even started production. Ive enjoyed quite a few of Crowes movies and I am a big fan of Hicks. I hope they can do his life and work justice.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Aug 29,2008 11:24am
this will fail but ill see it anyways

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 29,2008 1:00pm
yeah Russell Crowe is the man, he'll do a great job at this. i've never seen him do poorly at a role, even if the movie sucks.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 29,2008 1:02pm
ok, as i stated before, i think he sucks.

but even if ya like him....i don't see him pulling off the anger and the facial expressions of bill hicks, without seeming like a cheesey douchebag overactor

and i DEFINATELY can't see him pulling off Goatboy

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 29,2008 1:03pm
i recall people saying the same things about Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator. he did a phenomenal job.

toggletoggle post by W3 nli at Aug 29,2008 1:04pm
LOL @ goatboy reference, yeah i just dont see him having that sarcastic side you'd need to nail this role.

someone dig up sam kinison

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 29,2008 1:29pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
i recall people saying the same things about Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator. he did a phenomenal job.

aviator = gay

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 29,2008 1:31pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]

aviator = gay

Dude no offense to you but should you really be commenting on movies? You already stated that you only really like 4 genres of films and drama is not one of them, so how is your opinion even valid?

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 29,2008 1:48pm
yes...because if a movie is really good (regardless of it's genre), i will enjoy it, even if it doesn't fit into one of the styles i usually dig.

perfect examples of amazing movies (that don't fit in those styles)
Scarface (the Pacino version.....although i hear great things about the 1932 version)
Boondock Saints
Star Wars (episode III and the original trilogy)
Irreversible (although i admit, i mostly like it for the rape scene)
Indiana Jones (just the first one)
Dumbo (yes, the disney flick.....trippy as fuck)
The Business (an indie film - Featuring Gunnar Hansen as a retired hitman -about a family run "cleaner" business)

i could go on....the point is, i sitkc to certain genres 98 percent of the time.... but a great movie is a great movie.
Russel Crowe has never been in a great movie
Leonardo Dicaprio has never been in a great movie
period

toggletoggle post by rbass at Aug 29,2008 1:52pm
Ok, cool. Once again, my comment was meant from just a logical standpoint, not a being-a-dick standpoint. I disagree with you about a lot of things but, that is fine. And yes, Dumbo is fucking great! And really sad : .. (

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 29,2008 1:54pm
i understand where you were comin from dude.

yeah dumbo does have some very fucking sad moments.
but still, a great flick to watch when drunk, or on acid

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 29,2008 3:21pm
Indiana Jones (just the first one)

well, solely from an opinionated viewpoint, i can't believe a word you say now.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 29,2008 3:33pm
does that mean you hate indy?
or you can't believe i don't like the sequels?

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 29,2008 3:34pm
i can't believe you don't like Temple or Crusade. i can understand Crystal Skull, but the others are supreme.

toggletoggle post by orgymf@work at Aug 29,2008 3:39pm
eh, maybe i need to give em a second chance, haven't watched T.O.D., or L.C. since i was like 18....
but i love raiders

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Handless Plutonian Gateway
[default homepage] [print][12:27:22am May 01,2024
load time 0.06673 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]