New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> "In God We Trust" to be made more prominent on currency. by SacreligionNLI on Feb 4,2008 3:09pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Feb 4,2008 3:09pm
http://www.au.org/site/News2?abbr=cs_&page=NewsArticle&id=9637#cs4

"‘In God We Trust’ Moved To More Prominent Spot On Presidential Dollars

Responding to complaints from the Religious Right, Congress has passed legislation mandating that the phrase “In God We Trust” be moved from the edge to the back or front of the new presidential dollar coins.

President George W. Bush signed the measure into law Dec. 26. It was tucked into a $555 billion domestic spending bill after having been pushed by U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.). Brownback and other Religious Right conservatives have been complaining about the new coins since the series started last year.

The U.S. Mint has been releasing gold-colored dollars honoring each non-living U.S. president. Four coins are released per year. The first four coins, honoring George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, were issued in 2007.

Under a mandate from Congress, the Mint was required to place the national mottos “In God We Trust” and “E Pluribus Unum” along the edge of the coins. The idea was to allow for more dramatic portraits on the obverses of the coins and better art elements on the reverses.

But many in the Religious Right went ballistic after a batch of coins was inadvertently produced without the mottos on the edge. They also complained that the words were hard to read and that they would wear off over time.

Officials at the Mint say the dies for the 2008 coins, which honor James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren, have already been produced, so the change will not be visible until the 2009 series is produced. Those coins will honor William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, James K. Polk and Zachary Taylor.

Although there was never any evidence that the Mint was considering removing the motto, many Religious Right activists insisted that relegating “In God We Trust” to the edge of the coins was some kind of nefarious plot to ditch the phrase altogether.

“I certainly can’t imagine growing up in a country and under a government that is atheistic and denies the existence and dependence upon God,” said Dave Stotts, who hosts a program for Focus on the Family called “Drive Thru History.”

Stotts and other motto boosters fail to note that the phrase did not appear on coins until 1864. The motto was stamped on coinage after a Pennsylvania pastor suggested it to the Mint, arguing that the Civil War was a punishment from God.

The phrase was removed from coins briefly during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt when new coins were designed. Its use was not mandated on paper currency until 1957, one year after Congress declared “In God We Trust” the national motto."

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Feb 4,2008 3:16pm
this is the most important issue today, thank you government.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Feb 4,2008 3:46pm
They should just call'em "Godbucks."

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Feb 4,2008 3:50pm
oh yay

toggletoggle post by RichHorrorNLI at Feb 4,2008 3:51pm
Mississippi Funbucks.

toggletoggle post by mortalis  at Feb 4,2008 4:51pm
they're just pissy because their time in the spotlight is up.

toggletoggle post by BSV at Feb 4,2008 5:03pm
yeah guys we should stop caring about stuff that matters to us and start caring about things we can't change.

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at Feb 4,2008 5:25pm
Uhmmm...But I sure don't trust in "God". Damn, I'm just unpatriotic and a terrorist.

toggletoggle post by SacreligionNLI at Feb 4,2008 5:28pm
ZenErik said:
Uhmmm...But I sure don't trust in "God". Damn, I'm just unpatriotic and a terrorist.

exactly!

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Feb 5,2008 10:35am
wow. people say they want it removed, and everyone freaks the fuck out. the fuckhead religious movement says they want it moved, bam, its done.

toggletoggle post by brandon nli at Feb 5,2008 11:20am
lame,

toggletoggle post by the_taste_of_cigarettes  at Feb 5,2008 11:29am
DestroyYouAlot said:

I am going to do so!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Feb 5,2008 5:00pm
DestroyYouAlot said:

"No one gets into heaven without one"

"I'll take four!"

toggletoggle post by archaeon at Feb 5,2008 8:25pm
someone payed me with a few of these at work today. fucking asshole.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][5:36:04pm Apr 26,2024
load time 0.01123 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]