Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Kick Drum question by SW on Jan 24,2008 3:25pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by SW at Jan 24,2008 3:25pm
I haven't been playing drums for long so i don't know everything there is to know about drums. my question is if i should cut a hole in the head of my kick, and if i do what will the difference in sound be?
also how big should the hole be?
and if i put foam or a blanket inside what would be the difference in sound be as well?

please enlighten me

toggletoggle post by sever at Jan 24,2008 4:09pm
a bass drum without muffling rings out a ton. puttign a blanket inside will make the sound more punchy.

putting a 6inch or so hole in the back head will let air escape faster and make the sound even more punchy.

doing bothi s a good idea.

toggletoggle post by SW at Jan 24,2008 4:13pm
ya i think i'll do that,thanks

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jan 24,2008 4:18pm
Try deleting your system32 folder.

toggletoggle post by SW at Jan 24,2008 4:28pm
come on man help a brother out.i know you are an experienced drummer

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jan 24,2008 4:51pm
I'm just kidding. Sever offered some good advice. You want a nice deep sound but also a nice punch to it. I'd put an Evans Emad II head on the drum and a kevlar kickpad for where the beaters hit. Also, I'd personally go with wood or hard plastic beaters.

Also, the next time I replace my head I'm going to put a Remo MUFFL on there. Johnny H's kit in the NooseBomb space has one on it and it sounds fucking massive. I'm thinking the sound has something to do with that since I have the same bass drum and head he has but not the sound.

toggletoggle post by ZenErik   at Jan 24,2008 7:57pm
As little muffling as possible is excellent if you want your kick to be heard in an unmiked setting. Ports help in miked situations for a punchier sound, but the new 17"x26" kick I'm getting will have no port. Fuck shitty sound guys. It's not that hard to mic without a port.

toggletoggle post by SW at Jan 24,2008 8:08pm
nice. the help is much appreciated.

toggletoggle post by DJ DEATH at Jan 25,2008 3:30am
Everyone Has said it all already. The 2 best options for the porthole on the resinant head are A) More attack (punch) and of course to allow batter head mic'ing. Dampening the inside with pads or blankets allows for a more concentrated attack. The less dampening materials, the more bass will be present, and of course it'll ring out like a motherfucker. Like MSD says, use nice WOODEN hammers for increase attack.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:twy again, dis time wid feewing
[default homepage] [print][9:25:34pm May 11,2024
load time 0.01025 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]