Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Drum Tuning by Hung_to_Bleed on Jan 8,2008 12:51am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 12:51am
I'm a guitar player and I've always been. I've had drums accessible to me for over 10 years and throughout that period I learned how to play them. I've recently purchased a 5 piece and I am having trouble finding the "right sound". Anyone got any advise? Today I figured out for myself that a tight batter head combined with a loose resonate head produces the lower tone I'm looking for. From what I understand, every drummer has their own way of tuning their drums. To all RttP drummers, what is your technique? I've got a 10" & 12" mounted tom and a 16" floor tom. I want them to be high enough to hear the tone but also low enough to sound br00tal.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jan 8,2008 2:10am
Delete your system32 folder.

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:14am
Killer dawg, will do. Thanks for the advise.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Jan 8,2008 2:22am
menstrual_sweatpants_disco said:
Delete your system32 folder.

bahahaha!

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:35am edited Jan 8,2008 2:36am
Come on now, so far I've got 2 ridiculously good drummers at my disposal. Give a brotha (...urrrgh a know nothing, to say the least) some advise.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 8,2008 2:38am
The best technique for tuning drums is to shove the drum key up your ass and twist it so hard that your asshole clenches shut and all the food you eat gets backed up into your digestive system and causes you to die! Not like you'll care because I said the word "asshole" in my post in reference to the body part so I guess that makes me gay!

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:42am
Geessh. Lamp is always about fags and/or any activity that involves putting things in your ass. He must be a taker.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 8,2008 2:44am
Dude, you just said the word fags in your post and alluded to homosexual activities twice! Aren't you aware that makes you gay? I thought it would be appropriate to inform you since you're so concerned with these things and an expert in the field and all, it wouldn't help matters to make you look bad.

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:49am
You seem to know an awful lot about what it is to be gay.

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:49am
Fag.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 8,2008 2:51am
Classic example of "I have nothing to say to this post but I'm going to reply anyway so hopefully having the last word makes me look more intimidating, if not more intelligent, that way people will know not to fuck with me in the future because I'm a badass". Thanks for all but outright admitting you're a moron!

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:55am
Isn't that what you just did?

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 2:56am
Anyways....

This thread was about drum tuning.

If you want to talk about your homosexual tenancies and what makes a fag a "real fag"...start a thread of your own.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jan 8,2008 2:59am
You caught me in a good mood, so I decided to stand up for myself. If you want to make baseless accusations about me, that's fine, just as long as you don't mind getting pwned.

toggletoggle post by Mike_Giallo   at Jan 8,2008 3:00am
Hai gais. ITT: Fags.

toggletoggle post by Hung_to_Bleed   at Jan 8,2008 3:01am
Lamp said:
getting pwned.

...you need not say anything else, you have just proven your supreme level of homosexuality.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Jan 8,2008 3:27am
your drums will be out of tune forever! and your message board peers will be gay for all time.

no but seriously i dont have a technique i just make it sound good to my ear.

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 8,2008 3:40am
sxealex said:
your drums will be out of tune forever! and your message board peers will be gay for all time.

no but seriously i dont have a technique i just make it sound good to my ear.

Thanks. I was just wondering (even though I've read that every drummer has their own technique) if there was some sort of interweb-communicable means of tuning drums to a style comparable to the sound I hear from drummers who post here. I read somewhere that some people tune all their drums to c#. Is that something you've ever heard of and/or heard something that works?

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Jan 8,2008 3:43am
just google it... im sure some pompous asshole was paid tons of money by some big name drum company to talk about their amazing new tuning technique. too bad they are not me .

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 8,2008 3:47am
Trust me. I have Googled it.

Too bad they weren't you , 'cause someone like myself highly looks up to someone who drums like yourself...that's why I came here.

Are all drums, regardless of size, supposed to be tuned to the same pitch?

toggletoggle post by The Grammar Nazi at Jan 8,2008 8:52am
Advice is the term you meant to use in your first post, not advise.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead likes Ellios Pizza at Jan 8,2008 9:00am
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/site.../sitebuilderfiles/PSound_DTB_V2.pdf

There you go, that's everything you need to know about drum tuning.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jan 8,2008 10:02am
What kind of heads do you have on the drums? Heads make a big difference.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jan 8,2008 10:11am
IS DIS TEH GAY SEXXORZ THRAED?

toggletoggle post by Murph nli at Jan 8,2008 11:52am
Hung, since you are a guitarist, here's a little musical trick that I usually use to tune my drums.

I have only three toms, so I tune the floor tom to whatever note the low string of the guitars use, I tune my mid tom to the forth, and the high rack tom to the 8th, or octave, same note as the floor tom.\\

So we gots Do-Fa-Do

that just sounds good to my ear!

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 8,2008 3:07pm
I've got the cheapo Tama heads that came with the set.

Murph: I was wondering if tuning the drum pitch to a guitar was something that people did. I thought of it the other day but haven't given it a stab yet.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead likes Ellios Pizza at Jan 8,2008 3:08pm
No, Really, read that link I posted. I have it printed out in a 3 ring binder, and used to keep a copy in the studio next to my drumkit. Tuning/heads/etc... is all covered in there.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at Jan 8,2008 4:36pm
Hungtableed said:
I've got the cheapo Tama heads that came with the set.

I'd replace those ASAP as the first step. No matter how good of a set you have, the factory heads are always crap. You should check out the thread somebody just made a few days ago about drum heads. Lots of info in there. More than I could provide, alone.

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 8,2008 7:01pm
Heads are 2nd on my lists. I need to get a serious array of cymbals first. I'm going to have to print that bible out there's so much in there.

toggletoggle post by luke nli at Jan 8,2008 8:31pm
Heads should be first. It'll be about 120 bucks to re-head everything. You can get away with leaving the factory batter heads for a little bit, but you gotta change em pretty soon.
A good set of cymbals will run you $500 at least, depending on what you're looking for, so it's a much bigger investment.
As far as tuning, you pretty much seem to already grasp it. There's no magic formula. I would google it too look for some techniques. Some people swear by different tuning devices, like tension keys and weighted tuners and whatnot. Its all pretty much a matter of preference.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Jan 9,2008 12:31am
that evans ratchet thing is a piece of trash

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 9,2008 9:15am
This might sound like a stupid question, but can you cut a hole in your bass drum's resonate head if it doesn't have one already or is that just asking for trouble?

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood@Work at Jan 9,2008 10:09am
Murph is exactly right. This is what pro drummers do.

Also, make sure that after tightening one nut by a half turn, tighten the nut on the opposite side by a half turn. The drum will keep its tuning longer this way.

toggletoggle post by Murph nli at Jan 9,2008 1:01pm
Well, there is a nother school of drumming which believes that each drum has a note at which it is best suited to be tuned to, based on its shell-thickness, type of wood, size, timbre, etc.

I too believe this is true, and for sets that are matched well and kept in constant climate conditions, this would probably be a good thing to try, as the sound would probably be phenomenal.

For a drummer like me, however, whose kit is in constant use and different weather, tuning to certain notes keep a constant. I also tend to keep my high tom a little brighter small taping) and my mid tom a little more dampened (I roll up a piece of electric tape a few times, and attach it close to the rim with another piece of tape) which allows my kit to have a bit more attack and control major overtones (which some people like for the resonance value, but annoy the balls out of me).

toggletoggle post by t2daeek  at Jan 9,2008 2:46pm edited Jan 9,2008 2:47pm
Hungtableed said:
This might sound like a stupid question, but can you cut a hole in your bass drum's resonate head if it doesn't have one already or is that just asking for trouble?

i've seen really really bone headed sound men demand that drummers put holes in their reso head because they just flat out don't know what the fuck they're doing.
you can but there really isn't any need.
edit: you can just pull the front hoop and head off entirely and achieve the same effect without ruining an expensive head.

toggletoggle post by luke nli at Jan 9,2008 2:51pm
t2daeek said:
Hungtableed said:

i've seen really really bone headed sound men demand that drummers put holes in their reso head because they just flat out don't know what the fuck they're doing.
you can but there really isn't any need.
edit: you can just pull the front hoop and head off entirely and achieve the same effect without ruining an expensive head.

Yes, you definitely can cut a hole. Just use a sharp razor and some sort of template.
It is definitely beneficial to have the hole. It gives the sound guy better control and more options as far as mic placement. Usually, it's not the sound guys fault, but a drummer that doesn't know how to tune their kick drum. An engineer can only work with what he's given.

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 9,2008 5:31pm
I heard that cutting a hole was a no-go. But, then again, if I do decide to do it I would obviously use a template (i.e. a cup or something of the such) and a sharp razor to make it perfect. I just get this impression while watching my brother play my set that the kick would sound much better with a hole for some air to escape.

I'm fucking itching to record some drums real soon for a project I've been putting together over the past few months. I want to get my sound just right before I even attempt at hackin' the drum tracks.

toggletoggle post by atthehaunted  at Jan 9,2008 6:17pm
Get some rings that go around the hole after you cut it so the cuts don't tear.

toggletoggle post by Hungtableed at Jan 10,2008 1:17pm
ah-ha...I figured out what my original problem was. I guess I really didn't have much trouble tuning the drums to the appropriate pitch but to get the "right sound" I was looking for I need some mufflers. BMR use to practice at my house and I've got a bunch of old drum head layin' around. I used them to make some rings to use as mufflers and bam! Done.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:think...type...click
[default homepage] [print][9:50:26pm Apr 27,2024
load time 0.02009 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]