Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Bassists... by immortal13 on Oct 15,2007 6:30pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Oct 15,2007 6:30pm
What's your favorite bass? I'm looking into investing in a 6 string, so I want some opinions.

toggletoggle post by nickpelle at Oct 15,2007 6:32pm
Noone should play a six string unless you're a pro musician backing up Britney.

5 at the most.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Oct 15,2007 6:33pm
i play a 47 string guitar.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Oct 15,2007 6:34pm
nickpelle said:
Noone should play a six string unless you're a pro musician backing up Britney.

5 at the most.

Maybe I am her backup musician.

toggletoggle post by nickpelle at Oct 15,2007 6:35pm
Then I back the purchase after all.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Oct 15,2007 6:37pm
I used to have a cort curbow 6 i liked. peavey cirruses are nice.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Oct 15,2007 6:56pm edited Oct 15,2007 6:57pm
The amount of strings don't matter.. If you tune to b, getting a five string will be a little easier to play with because of string tension but there isn't much you can do on a 6 that you can't do on a 5.

I personally like any bass that's a 34" scale without too much fret radius and not too much heel.

LTD's B series basses are perfect for me. They sound good, use good components, look good, and are some of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Oct 15,2007 7:09pm
When I had the 6, I barely used the low B but liked the added C string for chording. If I still played bass, had a 5 string, and wasn't playing something really heavy that I would want to tune lower for with a 4 string, I would go the high C route.

toggletoggle post by Farten_Dust at Oct 15,2007 7:22pm
I'd try an Ibanez sr506,they sound great and have a tighter string spacing,so it doesn't seem as big as most 6-strings.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Oct 15,2007 7:36pm
The Ibanez SR 5 line is amazing. Definately worth trying out... there's probably a million to test at your local guitar center.

They have the thin 34 scale that I love.

My only complaint about them is the pickups, but it's all preference.

toggletoggle post by DrewBlood   at Oct 15,2007 7:38pm
I don't consider feel when I'm trying out basses. All basses feel differently, even ones of the same make, but your hands will conform to the bass after a couple of weeks of playing on it. As long as you are comfortable with it and the strings aren't an inch off the neck, you are good to go.

However, what I do consider strongly is the way the instrument sounds. My personal favorite bass tones have always come from basses made from heavier materials. For some reason, I've always thought that Ibanez's don't have the warmth that I like in their tone. The same goes for Rickenbacker. But, if you want a bass that sounds like its being played out of a guitar amp with a vibrator, feel free and buy an Ibanez or a Rickenbacker. I really dig the tone of a vintage Fender J-Bass, plus the neck is robust enough to handle heavy gauge strings. I play on an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string w/ 130 gauge strings dropped to B tuning. It has a really punchy low end with lots of warmth on the A and D strings for noodling.

What are you going to use your new bass for?

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Oct 15,2007 8:45pm
DrewBlood is the maaaaan

How are those PA speakers working out for you meng?

How's the band going? etc

toggletoggle post by Nash nli at Oct 15,2007 9:22pm
Carvins are great for 6 strings. Warwick's are godly if you can afford them.

toggletoggle post by Beorht-Dana  at Oct 15,2007 9:28pm
Spector Euro Series basses are great. I have a 5 string and its the most comfortable bass I've ever played.

toggletoggle post by Craig nli at Oct 15,2007 9:55pm
Warwick 4 string fretless Corvette.

toggletoggle post by homogay at Oct 15,2007 11:13pm
why waste your time playing basses when you could be playing with other men's penises

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Oct 16,2007 8:54am
fender jazz bass 5 string

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Oct 16,2007 1:54pm
DrewBlood said:
I don't consider feel when I'm trying out basses. All basses feel differently, even ones of the same make, but your hands will conform to the bass after a couple of weeks of playing on it. As long as you are comfortable with it and the strings aren't an inch off the neck, you are good to go.

However, what I do consider strongly is the way the instrument sounds. My personal favorite bass tones have always come from basses made from heavier materials. For some reason, I've always thought that Ibanez's don't have the warmth that I like in their tone. The same goes for Rickenbacker. But, if you want a bass that sounds like its being played out of a guitar amp with a vibrator, feel free and buy an Ibanez or a Rickenbacker. I really dig the tone of a vintage Fender J-Bass, plus the neck is robust enough to handle heavy gauge strings. I play on an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string w/ 130 gauge strings dropped to B tuning. It has a really punchy low end with lots of warmth on the A and D strings for noodling.

What are you going to use your new bass for?

Well, I love my four string and will never get rid of it, ever. But I definitely want a 6 string because there are some songs we have that I feel like I could do a fancy tapping part to, but would sound better with the added c-string. If at all possible, I'd like a bass that would at least sound somewhat similar to my bass (ESP C-304, neck-thru with EMG 40HZs), but if I find something else that I'm feeling I'll make an exception. I'm leaning more towards Warwick right now, but all of the ones I've played have sounded decent, but the strings are dead. If I can find one with a fresh set of strings I might be impressed.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Oct 17,2007 12:58am
Leaning more towards one of these:

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Oct 17,2007 1:49am
I always liked the Streamer and Fortress Warwicks the best, but I don't know if they still make the Fortress.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Oct 17,2007 2:29pm
One of my friends used to have some kind of Alvarez 6-string bass, I always thought the C string was annoying.

toggletoggle post by Doucheums at Oct 17,2007 4:12pm
ZJD said:
I always liked the Streamer and Fortress Warwicks the best, but I don't know if they still make the Fortress.

They don't. Only in the Rockbass line. They stopped making real Fortresses in 1997.

toggletoggle post by Doucheums at Oct 17,2007 4:16pm
And Immortal13, if I was looking to get a new sixer I would get one of those sexy Ibanez Soundgears with the Bart electronics. Alot of bang for your buck.

Yum.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Oct 17,2007 8:12pm
niccolai said:
LTD's B series basses are perfect for me. They sound good, use good components, look good, and are some of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.

+1,000,000

I just got a six-string cowbell; it's hard to get used to at first, but now I can totally play "Flight of the Bumblebee" on cowbell.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Oct 17,2007 10:49pm
ZJD said:

The Streamers are nice, but I might as well get a Spector instead, cuz it looks exactly the same but isn't the Warwick quality.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Oct 17,2007 10:55pm
immortal13 said:
ZJD said:

The Streamers are nice, but I might as well get a Spector instead, cuz it looks exactly the same but isn't the Warwick quality.

I know Streamers are a Spector ripoff, but Warwicks still sound different from them. They also use woods I don't see on other non-custom/boutique basses, especially their necks. I had a Warwick when I played bass and loved the feel of the neck (I believe it was ovangkol, not wenge like I think the earlier ones had). I think warwicks are punchy in a way that I don't recall other basses sounding.

toggletoggle post by immortal13 at Oct 17,2007 11:14pm
ZJD said:
immortal13 said:
ZJD said:

I know Streamers are a Spector ripoff, but Warwicks still sound different from them. They also use woods I don't see on other non-custom/boutique basses, especially their necks. I had a Warwick when I played bass and loved the feel of the neck (I believe it was ovangkol, not wenge like I think the earlier ones had). I think warwicks are punchy in a way that I don't recall other basses sounding.

Touchee. When it comes to non-custom/boutique basses that might as well be as said, nothing beats Warwick.

toggletoggle post by ZJD   at Oct 17,2007 11:19pm
immortal13 said:
ZJD said:
immortal13 said:
ZJD said:

Touchee. When it comes to non-custom/boutique basses that might as well be as said, nothing beats Warwick.

I guess so. Their necks are like baseball bats though, lots of people hate that. It's probably a lot different with 6 strings though. If you don't want to drop a million dollars though, I still reccommend checking out the Peavey Cirrus and for even less money, a Cort Curbow.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Aborted Celtic Semensludge
[default homepage] [print][2:04:22pm Apr 26,2024
load time 0.03675 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]