New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Another hard drive dies on me? by the_reverend on May 12,2007 1:43am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 12,2007 1:43am
in the past year or so, that's 1 or 2 500's, 2 250's, and 1 60gb.
wtf! I'm quickly copying my pictures on to a drive carina wasn't using yet.
I only have one copy now of all my pictures. and the drive that they are on is the same as the one that just died!

toggletoggle post by Niccolai   at May 12,2007 9:45am
What make/model are rthey so I know what to avoid once I buy one?

toggletoggle post by handinjury at May 12,2007 10:48am
I have 3 seagates and never had a problem. I allways hear shit about maxtor, but my 300gb has been good to me so far.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 12,2007 11:01am
seeing as maxtor and seagate are the same company...

the 500 is a seagate, the 60 was a maxtor (that one was my fault), one of the 250's was a maxtor, and the other? a western digital.

that leaves you with what fujistu and hitachi?

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is logged in... NOT at May 12,2007 12:51pm
I've had a hard time with hard-drives over the years. I've been thinking about just running everything in a Raid configuration, which doubles all your saved data onto two seperate drives at once. That way, when one dies the other has a perfect copy of all your data, and you simply need to throw a new drive in and copy it over.

Most hard drives have a 5 year warranty where they will replace a fried drive for free. Between a Raid configuration and free replacement drives, you'll never have to worry about data loss again.

toggletoggle post by ArrowHead is logged in... NOT at May 12,2007 12:54pm
the_reverend said:
seeing as maxtor and seagate are the same company...

So are Pioneer and Optimus. Problem is, one is crap, and the other is good. I've never, EVER had a maxtor drive that didn't fry after several months of intense use. At the same time, I've yet to have a single Seagate or Western Digital die on me. The WD, however, has given me a few other issues.

toggletoggle post by menstrual_sweatpants_disco   at May 12,2007 1:05pm
I backup all my data onto multple shit. I do this to the paranoid level. I've never had a failed drive yet though at home.

Our blessed mother of RAID5 has saved my ass at work a number of times on servers though.

toggletoggle post by SoulsOfTheSlain at May 12,2007 2:14pm
i had 2 250 maxtors fail
a 120 maxtor (my fucking main system drive, good thing i don't keep anything on this)
and an 80 WD fail
I'm completely convinced maxtor has by far the largest failure rate. Most of my other WD drives from like 6 years ago are still chugging along.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 12,2007 2:57pm
I know someone that had 2 of his 300's in a RAID of 3 die.
I'm thinking of making two boxes with a couple 500GB HDs in them doing something funky. the problem is that I store my photos in HD form at home and at work. I also store DVDs at work, but I only backed up to 10/30/2005 there on DVD. I need to get more religious on it. I wish that I could just burn a 50GB BD every month.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][5:47:00pm Apr 27,2024
load time 0.02048 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]