Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Soldering...? by xmikex on Jan 29,2007 11:03am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 29,2007 11:03am
So I need to fix a headphone jack on my girlfriend's mp3 player. It's a Creative Zen Micro, and most likely past it's warranty. I've been researching it some and it seems like the filmsy headphone jack is a pretty common thing with this model. I found a great step by step tutorial on how to fix it yourself. It looks easy, but it ultimately requires some soldering. Soldering seems pretty easy.... can anyone tell me otherwise, or have any tips for me?

toggletoggle post by thegreatspaldino   at Jan 29,2007 11:05am
i've never soldered before and i soldered a pickup into my first bass

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Jan 29,2007 11:07am
it is easy. just make sure you "tin" the wires before you solder them to any contacts, coat the wire with a thin layer of solder. and don't melt the solder with the iron touch the iron to the contact and let that heat up enough to melt the solder

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 29,2007 11:14am
Here's the page with the instructions.

http://www.noboundrees.com/Micro_Fix/

and here's the photo of the soldering. looks to me like it's just a matter of reinforcing what's already there. Am I wrong?

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Jan 29,2007 11:18am
anonymous said:
it is easy. just make sure you "tin" the wires before you solder them to any contacts, coat the wire with a thin layer of solder. and don't melt the solder with the iron touch the iron to the contact and let that heat up enough to melt the solder

+1

I also would not use anything over a 30 watt iron (15-30 selectable would probably be good for this) and I persona;lly would use 60/40 .032 solder. 64-2055 is the part number for a decent soldering iron for what you want to do from radio shack. It's cheap too, like $10.99.

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Jan 29,2007 11:51am
what does "tin the wires" mean?

toggletoggle post by abhorred  at Jan 29,2007 11:58am
you melt a thin layer of solder on the bare end of the wire that you are soldering. it makes for a stronger solder and makes your life a hell of a lot easier when soldering.

that was me above being to lazy to log in

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Jan 29,2007 12:41pm
If all goes wrong, make sure you have a hammer handy. Throwing a violent fit helps right many wrongs.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 29,2007 1:42pm
I'll keep a row of hummel figurines, and a mallet around as "Plan B"

toggletoggle post by Sinistas   at Jan 29,2007 2:00pm
Thanks, now I'm jonesing to fix my Creative Zen Xtra. Ugh.

toggletoggle post by xanonymousx at Jan 29,2007 2:58pm
that would work.... unless the etch is broken in which you will have to trace the etches on the back of the board and mod it.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 31,2007 9:56am
it worked.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:watch out for plagues of locusts
[default homepage] [print][5:44:56am Apr 26,2024
load time 0.01065 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]