Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Practicing tips? by Nash nli on Jan 26,2007 8:44pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Nash nli at Jan 26,2007 8:44pm
I'm kind of in a rut with my bass playing lately, mainly because I can't think of way too much to do when I sit down to practice. What do some of you guys do for bass or guitar as a practice routine when you're trying to get better?

toggletoggle post by Rhys  at Jan 26,2007 9:07pm
sometimes playing with a metronome or drum machine helps. it kind of gives everything structure even if you're just jamming around

toggletoggle post by evanofnehek at Jan 26,2007 9:23pm
practice scales, if you've got 20 bucks pick up the bass grimoire and learn everything in it...that's what i'm doing right now.

that and learn diverse and interesting songs and practice them.

toggletoggle post by the_taste_of_cigarettes  at Jan 27,2007 9:22am
try string skipping

it'll amaze you how difficult it can be if you go up a whole step on E, then down a whole step on D, then up a whole step on A, then down a whole step on G, like this

-5--7----------------------
--------------5--7---------
-------7--5----------------
---------------------7--5--

and then do this

---5--7-8------------------6-7-5------------
----------------------------------------5-6-7
----------------------5-6-7------------------
-------------8--7--5-------------------------

Really trains your hands and fingers to be more independent

toggletoggle post by Spaldino@werk at Jan 27,2007 11:13am
all i can say... about this subject... can be summed up in TWO WORDS. these two words are something every metal lover knows and is something ever musician that wants to play fast should source to. they are diverse, predictable, endurance challenging, and chop improving. once you actually LOOK into this.... there isnt anything thats more readily available that can help you more.

IRON MAIDEN.

im not bullshitting you. this is how i got my right hand speed up to such a ridiculous level when i played a lot about 3 years ago. your triplets will be tight, quick, and versatile, your ability to do fills will greatly increase, and you can bust out any Maiden bassline anywhere and have people want to blow you or go "wow man, cool shit... MAIDEN!"

good songs to play:

Aces High
Invaders
Caught Somewhere in Time (this song is LONG song thats a good test for your endurance... it also has one of my favorite bass lines that i ALWAYS play when i pick up a bass and try to get a feel for it)
The Trooper
Two Minutes to Midnight (awesome fills all through out the song)

if you arent at that level yet. learn a lot of early Sabbath. its all pretty much E pentatonic and played at 5th position. easy to learn and fun to play.

after tackling Maiden... once you feel thats too easy... get a fretless and bust out some Sadus 8-)

toggletoggle post by Spaldino@werk at Jan 27,2007 11:15am
oh... i forgot... being black helps a lot too ;)

toggletoggle post by Nash nli at Jan 27,2007 2:19pm
Thanks dudes, i'm gonna try some of that stuff now.

toggletoggle post by Cathach at Jan 27,2007 2:55pm
Go see the Bean, drink beer, repeat.

toggletoggle post by Anthny at Jan 27,2007 4:02pm
ALWAYS play to a metronome when practicing alone... not sometimes.. ALWAYS

yeah Spalding's right, learn songs and play along to the recording. Maiden, or whatever you feel like.

Don't noodle. I am constantly trying to stop myself from doing this. Know what you are doing when you're doing it. Just randomly dancing around the fretboard and occasionally doing something cool will teach you very little and very slowly.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:sign on net, sign off brain
[default homepage] [print][5:24:10am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.03268 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]