New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Photo Tech Thread by Joshtruction on Aug 3,2006 2:01pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Aug 3,2006 2:01pm
I figured from time to time there are a decent amount of people in here asking questions about camera's so why not make a post to get all techy right? So if you got any tech questions let it rip!!! I will answer to the best of my ability, and I am sure others will give better advice than I can.

Aaron, do you ever use filters when taking pics of bands?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D70S-D70-S-Digit...QcategoryZ43456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem is that good deal????

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 3,2006 2:08pm
I've used some star filters. if you want to keep your lenses in ok shape, get a protective or "uv" filter.

any other filters cut out too much light so you can't use them for bands.

microdrives are TERRIBLE. they are non-solid state so moving them tends to break them. only use flash memory.

the 28-70mm (get a fixed f/2.8 24-70 or the digital 17-50 f/2.8 both sigmas) lens will only work well 28-50. you will never be able to use the 70-300 ($189 for the better model then that) at a show.

in 7 days there is a new camera, the D80 with a 10.2Mp sensor and all the latest newest sweetness. it's price point is $899.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Aug 3,2006 2:18pm
is there any info on the d80 online? I keep having tons of money trouble and with the new camera's comming out I think I might be able to get a d70 cheap.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 3,2006 2:23pm
pictures that is it.
if you are worried about $$, just get a D50.
$500-600 with a lens.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Aug 3,2006 2:39pm
my digital camera cost 19.99 and works great,whats the difference between a 20 and 1000 dollar camera? seems to me unless you're doing something important or professional{like the rev or carina} an expensive camera is a huge waste of money

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Aug 3,2006 11:25pm
anonymous said:
my digital camera cost 19.99 and works great,whats the difference between a 20 and 1000 dollar camera? seems to me unless you're doing something important or professional{like the rev or carina} an expensive camera is a huge waste of money

once you try one, you'll understand

toggletoggle post by dertoxia   at Aug 3,2006 11:28pm
i bought a 1.3 megapixel cannon powershot for some ungodly price like 500 bucks back 7 years or so ago when it was some fancy stuff.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Aug 4,2006 1:14pm
davefromthegrave said:
anonymous said:

once you try one, you'll understand

well more like once you try one and know how to use it you will understand. But yeah, you got the point across.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 4,2006 1:18pm
it's like test driving a BMW and then buying a pinot

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Aug 4,2006 1:38pm edited Aug 4,2006 1:40pm

ok aaron, what could I have done to make this picture better as far as lighting, or just better in general?

P.S. I think you were looking for pinto

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 4,2006 1:45pm
what do I look like a photo expert?
you could have taken more than one photo on a tripod and blended them together. you could also take the mi-range of your levels and bring them down.

it also would have been cool to see stars in the sky from blending 3 exposures together.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Aug 4,2006 1:50pm
thats a really good idea with the stars and 3 exposures. gives me a new idea to try next time.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 4,2006 1:59pm
I'm not sure why the bottom of the picture's hotter than the rest of the pic. looks almost like you used a flash with a slow shutter and then cropped the picture.

I don't tihnk you used a tripod, but that would have help. if you are using a tripod, do aperture priority and put it at f/16. that means you'll get a shutter of 2" or something.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Aug 4,2006 2:35pm
is that the fucking alamo?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 4,2006 2:37pm
no, do you see a basement?
no basement, no alamo.

toggletoggle post by Joshtruction   at Aug 4,2006 2:43pm
yes I used a tripod. I was having trouble getting the grass to show because of how bright the building was, it was making it black. I used a flash but did not crop. I tried to dim the flash with my hand so you can't notice. Shutter was open for quite a while (like seconds) and the pic was taken with my 2mp powershot.

hahaha no thats not the alamo... thats an old cival war base in new bedford.

toggletoggle post by davefromthegrave  at Aug 4,2006 3:18pm
the_reverend said:
I'm not sure why the bottom of the picture's hotter than the rest of the pic. looks almost like you used a flash with a slow shutter and then cropped the picture.

I don't tihnk you used a tripod, but that would have help. if you are using a tripod, do aperture priority and put it at f/16. that means you'll get a shutter of 2" or something.

or he could just take it in the daytime. ahyuk hyuk hyuk

ok, now that i got all my asshole bullshit out of the way, He could also have set the fstop to something really long, like 15" or so, which would have resulted in fairly even lighting throughout the picture, except for the lights off to the right, which would be glowing in sort of a pleasing way.

maybe it would look something like this.

just an idea for you of course, it's your photo to do what you want with.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Scathing Beastial Requiem
[default homepage] [print][8:25:26am Apr 27,2024
load time 0.05587 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]