New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> some interesting comments on/about MySpace... by wade on Nov 23,2005 9:31pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by wade at Nov 23,2005 9:31pm
from Brent Eyestone (magic bullet records, forensics, etc.):

http://magicbulletrecords.com/news.html

BRENT EYESTONE SPEAKS OUT AGAINST CURRENT STATE OF NEWSCORP'S MYSPACE/MYSPACE RECORDS' BUSINESS PRACTICES

Disclaimer: The following views are the PERSONAL opinions of Brent Eyestone and do not necessarily represent the official position of the label, bands and associates.

It is no secret that Magic Bullet Records has played a part in promoting the online networking site MySpace (recently purchased by media conglomerate Newscorp). We have run numerous promotions involving the site and have certainly sent many people to our MySpace band profiles, label profile, and so on and so forth. Prior to the purchase of MySpace by Newscorp, the premise of the site was that it would serve as "the great leveling agent" between major-label funded bands and hard-working independent bands worldwide.

We really liked this idea and supported it feet first as one of the first record labels to create a profile on MySpace. However, the promise of a level playing field quickly dissipated as MySpace began adopting many of the same practices that alienated independent artists via "business as usual." It wasn't long before random "featured artist"s gave way to paid placement. Yes, all of those bands on your splash page PAID to be there. Quite a bit, in fact.

And at first I was fine with this. Sure, the premise of the site had changed dramatically, but I kind of expected something like that to happen. What I DIDN'T expect to happen was the complete and utter conflict of interest that is MySpace Records (owned by Universal/Interscope - i.e. major labels). That's right, the number 1 networking site in the world is now trying to be a RECORD LABEL.

The problem?

Well, on the eve of the MySpace Records Vol. 1 CD compilation hitting stores, users of MySpace are being SPAMMED relentlessly in their inboxes, via pop-up ads, "featured" profiles, and even BRIBED into purchasing the CD in exchange for 4 additional profile pictures. What was once a networking site has become the marketing machine for a notably terrible record label (take a look at the lineup for their first release - Tila Tequila? Hollywood Undead?).

It's just a really unfortunate situation. I've been trying to figure out the pros and cons of deleting all of the accounts I built that relate to the label. The part that is so frustrating is the fact that by supporting and promoting this site for so long (and other labels/bands doing the same), we've all helped make it a relevant music site and unknowingly made a significant change to the way people look at bands and listen to music on the net. But what we've REALLY done is create the largest street team/mailing list in recorded history for Universal/Interscope - over 32,000,000 people, which is unprecedented.

What you can do to help:

1.) Understand that MySpace is NOT the cool, independent site it once was. It is now owned by one of the largest media conglomerates in the world (with ties to FOX News) and now a glorified mailing list/advertising medium for Universal/Interscope Records, the same people who brought you LIMP BIZKIT and SMASH MOUTH.
2.) When you receive MySpace Records spam in your MySpace inbox, please flag it for spam. If I were to send you an unsolicited Magic Bullet advertisement via MySpace, my account could be suspended on the spot. Why can MySpace Records get away with it? So just flag it - there's a little link above the message that will enable you to do that.
3.) Stop turning to MySpace for information on bands and record labels. Please get back in the habit of visiting individual band and label sites on the internet. There are also infinite messageboards where you can interact and discuss music in virtual online communities. You don't need MySpace to learn about, follow, and support new music.

Thank you for reading. - Brent 11/14/05

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 23,2005 9:43pm
what he needs to do is stop bitching. this happens to EVERYTHING. things start as a great idea and then they need $$$ so they have to adopt business practices "like" everyone else.

look at RttP. sold out to corporate ADs. what a fag.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Nov 23,2005 9:59pm
If the myspace "Cool New Artists" splash was your source for new music then you're a fucking fag.

toggletoggle post by thee trOO Radical Dirt Biker at Nov 23,2005 10:14pm
the_reverend said:
what he needs to do is stop bitching. this happens to EVERYTHING. things start as a great idea and then they need $$$ so they have to adopt business practices "like" everyone else.

look at RttP. sold out to corporate ADs. what a fag.

"And at first I was fine with this. Sure, the premise of the site had changed dramatically, -->but I kind of expected something like that to happen<--. What I DIDN'T expect to happen was the complete and utter conflict of interest that is MySpace Records (owned by Universal/Interscope - i.e. major labels). That's right, the number 1 networking site in the world is now trying to be a RECORD LABEL. "

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 23,2005 11:25pm
well why don't people bitch about tom adding himself to everyone's list?
everyone knew that there was going to be funny business when FOX and more importantly rupert murdock
http://www.returntothepit.com/view.php?formid=19856
bought myspace.
just ignore the bs and use it for the good tool that it is.

toggletoggle post by pam nli at Nov 24,2005 10:55am
I deleted Tom from my list.

Myspace is conveinent, I can deal with the ads. Flagging for spam is a good idea though! I didn't think of that.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 24,2005 11:03am
myRttP will crush it.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:today will turn for the worse
[default homepage] [print][10:30:11pm May 20,2024
load time 0.00961 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]