New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Guitar Nerds: Fretboard on new guitar was too light... by RustedAngel on Oct 10,2005 2:20pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 2:20pm
so I used fiebings black oil dye on it and now it's dark and grim...

I performed this operation on my old ibanez as a test, and was impressed with the results enough to do my new one. Here are the pics!

If anyone is interested in doing this to their guitar get ahold of me and I'll point you in the right direction.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 2:52pm
That's pretty cool and it looks like you did a pretty nice job with it.

I actually prefer the look and feel maple necks. Too bad its like impossible to find a nice Jackson or BC Rich with a maple neck.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 2:53pm
It would be kind of cool to just stain/dye the neck PITCH BLACK.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 2:55pm
Oh, and when I say maple neck, I mean maple fretboard and all; not a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Oct 10,2005 2:55pm
nice job Tommy.....I like the way the grain comes thru in the lighter version, but that dark stain gives it a nice Honduras Mahogany look.
That stain wont rub off on the filanges at all?

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 2:57pm
Kinslayer said:

it actually looks more like the closeup at the top which is near black, in the pictures the light really brightens it up.

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Oct 10,2005 2:57pm
Kinslayer said:

Ebony fretboard!
I have one on my Warlock Supreme with no markers on it, and when you oil it, its BLICK like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon 2.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 3:00pm
powerkok said:
nice job Tommy.....I like the way the grain comes thru in the lighter version, but that dark stain gives it a nice Honduras Mahogany look.
That stain wont rub off on the filanges at all?

thanks...I just think it was too pale looking compared to the guitar itself.

well, with 3 coats I'd hope it wouldn't wear off anytime soon, but if it does it might look awesome, or I can re-dye it.

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Oct 10,2005 3:04pm
Is that thing a neck thru like the rgt42?

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 3:05pm
powerkok said:
Is that thing a neck thru like the rgt42?

yep

toggletoggle post by powerkok   at Oct 10,2005 3:18pm
fuggin sweet.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 3:21pm
We never get any good Ibanez where I work. We'll get a couple of mid-end RG series and a Jem but nothing spectacular. Thats probably why I've never been very fond of Ibanez...

toggletoggle post by Hooker nli at Oct 10,2005 3:50pm
I want to play Paul Gilbert solos on that thing.

toggletoggle post by DomesticTerror at Oct 10,2005 5:20pm edited Oct 10,2005 5:21pm
powerkok said:

Ebony fretboard!
QUOTE]

i was gonna say that. me and Rob were just talking about this yesterday

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 5:29pm
Most high end Jacksons come with ebony, but unfortunately not many ibanez guitars do.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 6:03pm
Ebony is still really dark brown. It looks like your guitars neck does now after that stain job. I'm talking PITCH FUCKING BLACK.

toggletoggle post by Hooker nli at Oct 10,2005 6:08pm
i love ebony boards.

toggletoggle post by anonymous at Oct 10,2005 6:18pm
looks cool! how does it play?

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 6:39pm
Kinslayer said:
Ebony is still really dark brown. It looks like your guitars neck does now after that stain job. I'm talking PITCH FUCKING BLACK.

I can't see any brown in the ebony of my jackson. It's pretty black, but maybe not PITCH BLACK ;)

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Oct 10,2005 6:52pm
pictch black starring vinn deisel?

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 8:33pm
Most ebony fretboards I've seen are still obviously a dark shade of brown.
I'll scope the ebonys at work tomorrow and get back to you on this one.

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 8:39pm
This is the DK1 Dink w/ Ebony Fingerboard....I'll be damned if thats not brown.

But I will still lok at work tomorrow. It could just be the picture...although I doubt it.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 8:50pm
looks pretty black to me, even in sunlight...

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 8:53pm

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 8:55pm
The Ibanez looks black, I can see brown int he Kevin Bonds but it is pretty dark...
Whats the deal with that Bonds axe? I've never seen it with that pickup and w/ out the pentagram on the body...

toggletoggle post by I at Oct 10,2005 8:57pm
RustedAngel said:
looks pretty black to me, even in sunlight...

is that a custom rhodes v? i think i just shit my pants! that is 1 hot guitar!

toggletoggle post by I at Oct 10,2005 8:58pm
it looks like neck thru to who the hell owns this masterpiece?
and why does it say made in japan?
i'm salivating in jealousy over here!

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 8:59pm
Nevermind it's pictured on the Jackson site. Thats weird, I have a Jackson catalog from then that axe first came out a it looks a bit different...

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 9:00pm
Its Kevin Bond signature....Don't ask me why that sorry fuck from Superjoint Ritual has a signature guitar, but thats it.

toggletoggle post by I at Oct 10,2005 9:03pm
is that the "stock model"? i have a us made rhodes neck thru but that thing just looks sick! fixed bridge! friggin pentagram inlays! and i don't know what the hell kind of pickup that is but it looks like alot of magnet!

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 10,2005 9:09pm
that's pretty black to me (in the bond) here's more black. hahah.

toggletoggle post by I at Oct 10,2005 9:13pm
RustedAngel said:
that's pretty black to me (in the bond) here's more black. hahah.

[/QUOTE are you the owner of these?
i was gonna buy a prs but i'm gonna have to check out some other stuff now! if any of these play like they look im gonna have to get a equity loan to build an addition and a bottle of astroglide!

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 9:16pm
Now that looks black! Its hard for me to believe that things not dyed though. Thats Pitch Black!! ;)

The pickup in that Kevin Bond Rhoads is the Duncan Iommi.

I almost special ordered it when it first came out (with the pentagram on the body AND fretboard). I would have got it for cost through work, but I need a neck pickup...

So I'm grabbing the neck through natural BC Rich NJ Mockingbird...

toggletoggle post by I at Oct 10,2005 9:20pm
Kinslayer said:
Now that looks black! Its hard for me to believe that things not dyed though. Thats Pitch Black!! ;)

The pickup in that Kevin Bond Rhoads is the Duncan Iommi.

I almost special ordered it when it first came out (with the pentagram on the body AND fretboard). I would have got it for cost through work, but I need a neck pickup...

So I'm grabbing the neck through natural BC Rich NJ Mockingbird...

if it's like the old ones you'll love it! i loved my mochingbird and warlock,both were neck thru and u.s{old school} and it's wierd to because they didn't have b.c rich disease{take your hand off the neck and the headstock hit's the floor} i was real happy to see they were making them again! what do they put in for a apickup?

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 9:24pm
I'm not too fond of the look of the PRS guitars, I mean they are classy and all but they aren't my style. They do play and sound fucking fantastic though! We've got a Corvette model in the store right now; its the only one I'd consder being the huge chevy fan that I am.

Any one know if Gibson lost copywrite infringement lawsuit they filed against PRS over the singlecut they make?

toggletoggle post by Kinslayer at Oct 10,2005 9:28pm
It's got 2 BDSM pickups in it. They sound pretty fucking good IMO...it's probably not as good as an original US but I'm happy with it. The neck is fantastic and they look great!
Its part of the 2005 NJ Classic Series.

I got it for $400! ;)

I may be getting Christraper the NJ Classic Bitch.

toggletoggle post by niccolai   at Oct 11,2005 4:09pm edited Oct 11,2005 4:17pm
feibings dye is intended for leather use I believe, it's available on Stewmac's site. The reaosn it's used it it's very watered down and not as risky as stronger dyes, plus it doesn't need to be resealed.

This dye wouldn't work on a maple board very well IMO, if you've ever dyed maple you will see why. It's very pourous and you'd end up with white specs in the board.

A few copanies use feibings on thier Ebony fretboards to give it a seamless, streakless look. Ebony is typically treated with boiled linseed and tung oil after, making it look black like night. There is a growing amount of people who began using them on rosewood to get a 'poor man's ebony' look.

note the difference between the 11th and 12th fret:

RustedAngel, did you mask off the inlays with tape or just wipe them clean after? Was there any problem getting the dye off them?

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 11,2005 4:28pm edited Oct 11,2005 4:29pm
niccolai said:

RustedAngel, did you mask off the inlays with tape or just wipe them clean after? Was there any problem getting the dye off them?

I masked the back of the neck (ha ha) and sides as close to the front as I could. There's no need to mask the inlays as they are plastic and the dye wipes right off, but if you have unfinished binding be careful as it will stain. If you get some on the binding, you can try to remove it with paint thinner or by using a pencil eraser and maybe a really fine nail file.

Luckily the binding on the ibanez I did above is dark greyish / 2 tone and if there are any stains it doesn't show.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Oct 11,2005 4:31pm
some more jobs using the same process:

before:

after:

before:

after:

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Breathing Antric Belsebub
[default homepage] [print][3:37:26am Apr 28,2024
load time 0.04194 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]