New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Does The city of Providence hate live music? by Patnomlaous on Oct 9,2005 10:06am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Patnomlaous at Oct 9,2005 10:06am
On Friday Night,
A friend of mine was schelduled to perform at Jerky's in Providence. The city won't issue them a entertainment license. So they been doing things anyways. No cover and only usually for an hour on Friday nights. Earlier Friday morning the Fire department issued a threat that if they or Club Hell tried to do any more live music with out the proper license they would be shut down, for Fire code violations. No more live music.
So, my friend moved his equitment to the place to find out he wasn't playing. He had a handful of people show up too. The club at least gave them $50 for their troubles and some drink tickets.
So, I guess RI will be nothing but, Karoke bars or Dance Clubs in the next few years.
This all stems with that goddamm Great White/ Station club Fire. This state tries to make it impossible for a club to have a live entertainment license. Because of that fire cost so many lives and the state being sued for so much money, they are trying to wash their hands with live music entirely. at least that's what it looks like, Idunno. Another club potential gone.

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Oct 9,2005 10:12am
Christ. And doesn't Giza only do national acts, no local shows?

Olneyville it is.

toggletoggle post by Craig is feeling lazy at Oct 9,2005 10:33am
that because providence is run by a gay jew mayor now.

toggletoggle post by BobDead at Oct 9,2005 10:44am
REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Oct 9,2005 11:17am
Agreed.

toggletoggle post by chrisabomb at Oct 9,2005 11:27am
RichHorror said:
Christ. And doesn't Giza only do national acts, no local shows?

Olneyville it is.

club giza sucks. i did 3 shows there & then they said they wanted to do the gay dj & hip hop crap on the weekends & would only let me do metal & hardcore shows on wed. nights & they would have to be 21+ shows. the whole r.i. scene is going to hell since that fag of a mayer took over. we need buddy back in office....

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Oct 9,2005 11:30am
I miss Club Babyhead like a motherfucker. As it was it was nearly impossible to get my band booked in Providence. Now it's just impossible.

toggletoggle post by Patnomlaous at Oct 9,2005 11:36am
BobDead said:
REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!REDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUMredrumREDRUM!

Hmmmmm, that place sounds familiar.yarrrrr, Pirates be going there with their Rum.

toggletoggle post by thedeparted   at Oct 9,2005 11:51am
that sucks man, providence is going down the shitter
we should make a petition

toggletoggle post by diamond_dave  at Oct 9,2005 3:17pm
thedeparted said:
that sucks man, providence is going down the shitter
we should make a petition

it's been a long time coming, but now i feel like it's finally hit rock bottom here. I respectfully disagree that we need a petition though. I don't think it'll do much, especially with the yuppies coming in with the money. They're paying top dollar and they don't want to see "lowlifes" like us walking the streets or making noise. (you, know like the way it used to be when providence was fun.)
Let's get real here. We're all getting older, we're not a bunch of helpless kids anymore. What we need is to do step up to the plate and acquire a legit venue and follow all the legal channels so that the next time the man tries to step in (and they will,) they won't have a legal foot to stand on. After all that's done, if it got shut down then, a petition would be effective, because when we come in and present the facts, we'd be right and they'd be wrong.
I'm not saying it would be easy. It'd be much easier to lease a warehouse and do bootleg shows and what not. But that only lasts so long. And I also feel an obligation to show the pigs that this is our city too. We were here first, and we have a right to use it as well. I think it's the only way.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 9,2005 3:31pm
you're 100% right, brendan. Being just a lame, poor college student with a part-time seasonal park ranger job, there isn't much I can do as far as money...but if someone were to really take off with this idea I would do anything I could to help.

toggletoggle post by thedeparted   at Oct 9,2005 3:56pm
we've been trying to do shows at our space
once a month on average.
it just is kind of sketchy, because we arent really supposed to be.
but we do it anyway, mainly because there arent any decent clubs left for bands in providence.
you just need a few people/bands to throw down for the deposit
on a space, then the place would pay for it self with like a $2 or $3 cover.

toggletoggle post by diamond_dave  at Oct 9,2005 6:12pm
thedeparted said:

that's sweet you guys are doing that. there are a few others as well. i'm not worried about that so much; there are plenty of vacant spaces to be had in PVD to those that want them. and i'm not trying to downplay that scene, i totally have respect for that, and i totally support it. but it would also be nice to have a legit place here again.

p.s. brian...i'm dave...see username

toggletoggle post by diamond_dave  at Oct 9,2005 6:14pm
an additional thought. pat, this really blows. i had a lot of hope for hell/jerky's to pull it together. from what i've heard of their plans, maybe they still will. who knows.

toggletoggle post by KeithMutiny  at Oct 9,2005 6:23pm
i busted my ass in providence the last month running and meeting at all these clubs, no one wants the liability. shit, pat and dave know the shit i been goin through down there lately.

im personally gonna start looking for a place to lease in downtown providence in the near future, hopefully i can pull it off.

and from the club owners standpoint, they can have a dj spin rap and hip hop and bring in 400 people in one night, or they can play live metal and have 20 kids with no money. We need to put just as much effort into proving its worth it to them.

toggletoggle post by the_taste_of_cigarettes  at Oct 9,2005 9:45pm
KeithMutiny said:
i busted my ass in providence the last month running and meeting at all these clubs, no one wants the liability. shit, pat and dave know the shit i been goin through down there lately.

im personally gonna start looking for a place to lease in downtown providence in the near future, hopefully i can pull it off.

and from the club owners standpoint, they can have a dj spin rap and hip hop and bring in 400 people in one night, or they can play live metal and have 20 kids with no money. We need to put just as much effort into proving its worth it to them.

Keith's right you know.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Oct 10,2005 3:03am
diamond_dave said:
thedeparted said:

p.s. brian...i'm dave...see username

ah! I had that down, and then for some reason I convinced myself that you were brendan. oops!

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Barbed Nihilistic Jebus
[default homepage] [print][11:01:11pm Apr 28,2024
load time 0.02717 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]