End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Metric Sucks by retzam on Aug 30,2004 1:24am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:24am
http://www.metricsucks.com

Hahahaha, I can't tell whether this page is a joke or not, so far it looks like parts are and parts aren't. Hahaha, well it's funny whether it was intended to be or not.

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Aug 30,2004 1:31am
We are of the firm belief that the metric system sucks. It is a global conspiracy created to cause the downfall of all things that we know and love. Upon careful examination it is clear that the metric system is at least indirectly responsible for most of the world's problems, including but not limited to:

* Government conspiracy
* Microsoft Windows
* Rap Music
* Hondas and their drivers
* Transistors
* Pokemon
* Jerry Springer
* Televangelism
* Toxic waste
* The Republicans
* The Democrats
* Defective and bogus hardware
* Wrenches that dont fit
* Starbucks coffee
* Communism
* Soccer
* The Euro

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:36am
Hahaahahaha yes that is one of the parts I thought was rediculous if they are serious. But dude, click on the link about a fascinating essay and read that (it is a little lengthy, but not too bad). The guy who wrote it makes a LOT of really really good points.

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Aug 30,2004 1:41am
i cant find the link. can you send it?

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:46am

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 30,2004 1:52am
metric system is better than our stupid multiple of 3 system. that doesnt make sense half of the time.

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Aug 30,2004 1:52am
I think hes joking. Nobodys this retarded. It was funny though. hondas and their drivers. thats golden.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:56am
Spaldino, I thought the metric system was great too, but the essay on this site wasn't written by the people who made the site. All the points he makes just point out that it has flaws that can be corrected by using the English Standard system, and the English Standard system has flaws that can be corrected using the Metric system. All of this guys points are really good and you should read if for no other reason because it's interesting.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 30,2004 2:03am
JellyFish said:
I think hes joking. Nobodys this retarded. It was funny though. hondas and their drivers. thats golden.

the cause to that problem is The Fast and the Furious

and i dont know... i have worked with the metric system for years... i dont know if there are really many faults with it, let alone faults that the metric system would fix... but yeah... ill read it and post about it.

toggletoggle post by Josh_hates_you  at Aug 30,2004 2:04am
i spent way to much time reading about weights and measures not involving large quanities of government controlled substances.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 30,2004 2:19am
oh what the fuck... people are just too fucking lazy. the only problem with metric is that people have to say more... whoopee-fucking-doo.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 2:30am
You didn't read it all did you. That part makes up maybe a third of the essay. That is the explanation for why he started looking into the whole thing. Below that, there are many reasons listed, heaviest case being, the reason the metric system was created was to make an easier system of numbers, to get away from the 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, etc. But the fact is, a basic metric unit can only be divided evenly by 10, 5, and 2. On the other hand, the foot, for example, can be divided evenly by 12, 6, 4, 3, and 2. The Metric system creates more fractions then the English Standard system does, therefore making it more complicated, which is why it was invented in the first place. So the whole thing contradicts itself. Also, the part you read also was meant to point out the fact that it is really stupid to use both systems. They have certain things in Metric and others in English standard, and it is the same here really. We buy milk in gallons and soda in liters. Umm what the hell?? Read the rest of it Spalding.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 2:39am
Oh, and by the way, I didn't create this thread as my opinion, (I really couldn't care less, I don't measure things a lot), but yes, as a joke, because I read the first page of that site and thought it was funny. I don't really even consider this essay as part of the site, as it actually makes sense and isn't meant to be funny.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 2:41am
I must eat, listen to music, and then go to sleep. Anyone who is bored should read it since it brings up interesting points that I've never thought of before and have never heard anyone else touch on the subject either.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 30,2004 3:04am
well it makes sense i suppose... but seriously... i think he is being a little unreasonable about the whole "not being able to divide metric by 3 perfectly" thing. we never have to have something so minute that being .0004 off would really make a difference anyway. i have no problem using both... but for most things, i would rather use metric.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:01pm
Yeah, I did find it kind of absurd that he dwelled on that for so long, it was really no big deal. But yes, I don't care what we use, there are problems no matter what system is used, I just thought this article was interesting.

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Aug 30,2004 1:02pm
I didn't read it, but it's stupid and European, just like in flames.

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Aug 30,2004 1:02pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:
metric system is better than our stupid multiple of 3 system. that doesnt make sense half of the time.

i second that!

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:07pm
Read the article! It is intriguing.

toggletoggle post by Joe/NotCommon   at Aug 30,2004 1:08pm
Reading is stupid and european

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:09pm
hahahahahahaha

toggletoggle post by succubus  at Aug 30,2004 1:10pm
Joe/NotCommon said:

...thanks!

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Aug 30,2004 1:13pm
Joe/NotCommon said:

hahahahahaha

who cares? that is the question. And as for americans being lazy, look around the usa, look what we've built in a couple hundred years. you can't go 2 fucking feet without a shopping complex in your face. So what if americans don't use the metric system, everyone with a 6th grade education and higher knows how to use the fucking thing.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 1:25pm
eddie said:
Joe/NotCommon said:

everyone with a 6th grade education and higher knows how to use the fucking thing.

Hahahaha so true

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 30,2004 1:43pm edited Aug 30,2004 1:44pm
oh and to kind of dull his (the article's author) argument, we use a "metric" system for OUR money and anything that we cant make out into exact change, such as .567... we just round up to the nearest hundredth and it happens millions of times everyday and i bet most people dont even realize it happens... oh no, the secret is out! people are going to want their .002 cents back! you will find this happens with a lot of things, such as math class, they always tell you to round up or down (or atleast they used to... now they let people use calculators like 80% of the time and they do the rounding for you i.e. for something that would be 3.44444444444 and continue that way forever... the calculator would read 3.444445) so we already have the "solution" to the "not divisible by 3 problem".

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Aug 30,2004 1:46pm
sodomi

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Aug 30,2004 1:56pm
yeah but there's a formula to get rid of the repeating decimal.

only numbers that we can't know there true value for sure are the ones like pie, but the value we don't know is so small it doesn't matter.

you can debate this metric vs english standard til your blue in the face , but in the end it still won't matter. nor will anyone give 2 shits.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 8:45pm
TheGreatSpaldino said:
oh and to kind of dull his (the article's author) argument, we use a "metric" system for OUR money and anything that we cant make out into exact change, such as .567... we just round up to the nearest hundredth and it happens millions of times everyday and i bet most people dont even realize it happens... oh no, the secret is out! people are going to want their .002 cents back! you will find this happens with a lot of things, such as math class, they always tell you to round up or down (or atleast they used to... now they let people use calculators like 80% of the time and they do the rounding for you i.e. for something that would be 3.44444444444 and continue that way forever... the calculator would read 3.444445) so we already have the "solution" to the "not divisible by 3 problem".

Ummm, we don't use the metric system for money, the metric system has nothing to do with currency. Even if it did, how would it be the metric system? 5 pennies in a nickel, 2 nickels in a dime, 2 and a half dimes in a quarter, 4 quarters in a dollar, 100 pennies in a dollar, 20 nickels in a dollar, 10 dimes in a dollar, etc. The only shit that is even remotely metrick is how many pennies in a dollar and how many dimes in a dollar.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 30,2004 9:28pm
*sigh* you totally missed my point... "metric" constitutes that its not the same thing but somewhat similar in a way. i was referring to the fact that money is counted in decimals rather than fractions and that we deal with the same shit that guy was complaining about in his article EVERYDAY without some sort of hubub going on.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Aug 30,2004 10:02pm
Ahhhh ok, I see. Yeah, money is in decimals, but it was arranged in a way so that collaquially we almost forget that, because we don't say "point 75 dollars", we say "75 cents"

toggletoggle post by MyDeadDoll   at Aug 31,2004 3:04am
"Upon careful examination it is clear that the metric system is at least indirectly responsible for most of the world's problems, including but not limited to:

* Starbucks coffee "

OK, I have a Starbucks story. So, all the new Target stores here have Starbucks in them... so I go to one of the new Targets with my cousin the other day and it's in this huge shopping center. On one side of the shopping center, there's a rather large Starbucks and on the other side of the center is the Target with the Starbucks inside it. What the shit is up with that? Reminds me of the Lewis Black skit about the end of the universe being where there's a Starbucks across from a Starbucks. Apparently this place exists in Tucson, Arizona.

So yeah, that's my story.

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Aug 31,2004 3:07am
dude in london there are starbucks on every block.

toggletoggle post by TheGreatSpaldino   at Aug 31,2004 4:17am
there are 6 Dunkin Donuts in my city... all of which are within a mile from eachother.

toggletoggle post by retzam at Sep 1,2004 11:15pm
MyDeadDoll said:
"Upon careful examination it is clear that the metric system is at least indirectly responsible for most of the world's problems, including but not limited to:

* Starbucks coffee "

OK, I have a Starbucks story. So, all the new Target stores here have Starbucks in them... so I go to one of the new Targets with my cousin the other day and it's in this huge shopping center. On one side of the shopping center, there's a rather large Starbucks and on the other side of the center is the Target with the Starbucks inside it. What the shit is up with that? Reminds me of the Lewis Black skit about the end of the universe being where there's a Starbucks across from a Starbucks. Apparently this place exists in Tucson, Arizona.

So yeah, that's my story.

hahahahaha brilliant

toggletoggle post by armageddonday   at Sep 2,2004 2:16am
I didn't read the page, slow connection.

I've been in the US for 4 years and I'm still lost a lot time when I use the English Standard, and that's the one I use.

Carina?

toggletoggle post by JellyFish at Sep 2,2004 2:40am
TheGreatSpaldino said:
there are 6 Dunkin Donuts in my city... all of which are within a mile from eachother.

sounds like route 12 in fitchburg.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Puritanical Medieval Eyeball
[default homepage] [print][5:41:50am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01675 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]