New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> kicking back spinning classic heavy vinyl by demondave on Nov 9,2014 8:15pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:15pm

I have been working like a dog, but I have had the weekend free and it has been a breath of fresh air. My wife and I have been out and about during the early afternoon - culminating in bumping around a really awesome dog park with the pet. Now I am at home and spinning vinyl. Luckily my 'man-cave' is the living room, so it fills the whole house.

Somehow, I ended up in a conversation with the wife about Ozzy. (I have no idea how it started) So when I got home, I pulled out Black Sabbath's Sabotage and put it on. It is a pretty beat copy, but plays fine. I remember getting it for free from Ben at Armageddon. Kind of a perk on top of all the other stuff I was buying... Anyway, slapping this on was followed with a conversation explaining that there was no way to defend the album cover. Explain it maybe, but not to defend it. And even then, the only explanation was that cocaine and pot must have made their fashion choices seem reasonable.

Look at this...

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:19pm

Now, I know the 70's were unkind, but seriously?

Geezer has tall white ladies' pants and a 'Mork from Ork' rainbow shirt; Tony Iommi has a Ron Jeremy shirt; Bill Ward has no shirt / a leather jacket / and red "I'm a renaissance clown" stretch pants; and Ozzy seems to be wearing some faux Oriental bathrobe with clunky platform shoes.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:22pm edited Nov 9,2014 8:26pm
The back does not get any better. In fact, it seems designed to showcase Bill Wards tights. They are see through like bad lululemon yoga pants. I can see his striped briefs. The clip below doesn't do it justice.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:25pm

Maybe Bill Ward was the real star to all this, and Ozzy was just showboating cause he couldn't handle the attention Bill was getting for knocking it out of the park. Geezer has a tall umbrella that he is using as a pimp cane, but that is not cutting it. Tony knows he is outgunned and just sat down in defeat. Nice try Ozzy, but Bill Ward beat you.

Lets just focus on Bill...

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:30pm

Sabotage is a fantastic LP. They were really on top, and it was the last classic Ozzy LP with them. It has great tracks like 'Hole in the Sky'; 'Megalomania'; and the brutal 'Symptom of the Universe'. Way ahead of it's time. Yet so trippy and walks through so many musical styles.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:31pm edited Nov 9,2014 8:40pm
oh, here's Symptom of the Universe for you

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:40pm

Anyway.... this puts me even more into a classic heavy metal mood, so I pull out 'Heaven and Hell'.

toggletoggle post by HookedonMetal at Nov 9,2014 8:42pm
I've been listening to this album pretty extensively as of late.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:43pm

When I was a kid, I was not into Dio Black Sabbath. First, it was before my time. Secondly, I was only aware of it through the mob rules song in the 'Heavy Metal' movie which someone had on video. Finally, my exposure to Dio was through his solo project, and even then it was quickly supplanted by harder stuff as I got into thrash metal.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:44pm

TYR is going to be on soon, but I am compelled to recount my evening..

toggletoggle post by HookedonMetal at Nov 9,2014 8:46pm
I feel like Tony Martin kinda got the shaft because of that. He joined the band during a time when people weren't that interested in Black Sabbath and none of the albums he was on did that well. I honestly think if Sabbath got him in the band now and they called the project Headless Cross or something, it would actually be a lot more successful than either of his original stints with Sabbath.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:48pm

There real reason Heaven and Hell was on, was because I don't have Mob Rules on vinyl. Heaven and Hell is a better release over all, but Mob Rules is often a better fit for me. Let's enjoy a raw version of the Mob Rules track from the Heavy Metal flick:

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:52pm edited Nov 9,2014 8:53pm
HookedonMetal said[orig][quote]
I feel like Tony Martin kinda got the shaft because of that. He joined the band during a time when people weren't that interested in Black Sabbath and none of the albums he was on did that well. I honestly think if Sabbath got him in the band now and they called the project Headless Cross or something, it would actually be a lot more successful than either of his original stints with Sabbath.

I was debating going on a binge of Tony Martin material. My brother had a soft spot for his stuff, going from Eternal Idol up to Cross Purposes (I think even my brother disliked Forbidden). I might check them all out during the week. I still remember the video for Headless Cross. I believe Tony Martin had crazy 80's shoulderpads.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 8:59pm

Everyone knows, Dio begets Dio. (I think it's in Deuteronomy) So I pull out Holy Diver. That is a fantastic LP, and I think everyone should check it out.

Here's the opening track, "Stand Up and Shout"

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 9:05pm

I recently learned, that the cheesiest track on it - namely "Rainbow in the Dark" was almost not on it. It's a good song, but those keyboards and lyrics are just over the top. They kind of sum up the excesses of Heavy Metal that thrash would be rallying against... (until they rallied against Glam Hair metal). I never knew that Dio thought the same thing. Apparently he wanted to leave it off the LP, but Vinny Appice and Vivian stopped him.

I just found this clip, while I was checking to see if I had that story right...

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 9:11pm edited Nov 9,2014 9:27pm
Next up, mutha fuckin LAST IN LINE:

I fucking loved this album. I was an early teen when I came across it and there were two aspects in particular that hit me.

1st. There was this awesome dystopian cover art. It featured a swarm of people that were being dragged by skeletal centurians to worship before a chained demon in an post apocalyptic hell hole.

fuck it, let me find a larger pic of the wraparound cover art.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 9:23pm edited Nov 9,2014 9:24pm

Here is a small pic:

and here is a link to a large version:

Click this to see it in all of its fuckin glory

Keep in mind, I grew up with movies like 'Escape from New York' , 'Blade Runner' and 'Road Warrior' so at 12/13 years old I was all over this.

The second awesome thing is that it produced the greatest video ever on MTV. Namely "Last in Line". It is cheesy as hell, but I loved that it replicated the album cover. My brother and I taped it and watched it over and over.

I'm totally going to force my wife to watch it. God, she is a patient woman.

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 9:45pm

After this, I lost interest in Dio. It was all Thrash and then Death and Black etc. I did like Dehumanizer, but it was the Heaven and Hell reunion that got me to appreciate him again. I have meant to check out his solo work, but I never really got past Last in Line. Sacred Heart and Intermission were just in the wrong direction for me. The Dragons and 'Rock and Roll' children were getting silly... or at least they were the wrong kind of silly for what I was into.

If anyone can suggest other solo material of his, let me know.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 9,2014 9:46pm

I think I am running out of typing time, so another night I am going to rant about "Born Again"

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 10,2014 9:20am
this thread made me happy (cause I thought you were doing a radio show) and then sad (when I found out you weren't) and they happy again when I read it.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Divorced Sonic Goatwhore
[default homepage] [print][5:18:31pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01650 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]