New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Top 10 list of most overrated video game franchises by arilliusbm on Dec 26,2012 11:50am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 11:50am edited Dec 26,2012 11:54am
This is not an official list from some idiot's blog or some noob kid who started gaming 10 years ago. It's just like an opinion, man... I know a lot of you will disagree, but that's the point of a discussion forum, right? This list is short and incomplete, but they were a few ones that came into mind.

10.) Dead Space series. OH MY, LET ME STARE AT THIS GUYS BACK WHILE HE RUNS THROUGH A SPACESHIP AND ENCOUNTERS ENEMIES THAT SURPRISE YOU!! The series had horrible horror and suspense elements, and the story was sub par. If anything at all, Doom III had better horror.

9.) Every Zelda game that is after Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past. Do they seriously need to keep milking this shitty ass children's story? Zelda was at it's best when it was a gritty dungeon crawler game, not a flowery modern Nintendo happy game.

8.) Assassin's Creed serires. So fucking boring and uninspired. The highlight being the historical aspects, but the lowlight being the repetativeness of the game, and lackluster development. Overrated/overhyped.

7.) Final Fantasy - post FF9. I should say post FF3(6), but FF7 was awesome - BUT, the beginning of the end. All the modern Final Fantasy characters are digusting to look at. The boys look like women and the women look all dumb. Same thing with Zelda.. Why dumb down and lighten up a once glorious franchise?

6.) Fable. They just need to stop.

5.) Mass Effect - The story is boring and rips off everything before it, and the RPG elements are lackluster. I gave both I and II a shot and left shaking my head. So much potential, washed down the drain. They need to modernize a game like Albion, though I don't think Blue Byte Software exists anymore.

4.) Borderlands. Who cares if there's numerous weapons? The game was as arrid as the fucking desert it mostly takes place in. The story was awful, and the action was stale. Games were overhyped garbage.

3.) Grand Theft Auto . Same shit different day. Better graphics, different day. Why people still crave the open world of stealing cars and committing crimes is beyond me. Shit gets old, fast. Real fast. Only the first three were real.

2.) Left 4 Dead. More like Left 4 Sleep. Shooting zombies over and over has been beaten to death, and this series is only fun playing with other people... For about 5 minutes.

1.) Call of Duty series. This series represents everything that is wrong with modern console gaming. The releases are all very similar, yet slightly different at the same time. It offers nothing new to the table, yet still they produce a new one every year and people flock to buy them. Counterstrike 1.6 will always rape this series to shreds.

Thanks, back to work. Good day and happy new year fuckheads.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 11:56am
This post would have more credibility if I actually believed you played all these games enough to really have an opinion. I do agree with about half the list though.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 11:57am
For instance "OH MY, LET ME STARE AT THIS GUYS BACK WHILE HE RUNS THROUGH A SPACESHIP AND ENCOUNTERS ENEMIES THAT SURPRISE YOU!!"

Ok let me try:

Super Mario 3: OH MY LET ME LOOK AT A TWO-DIMENSIONAL ITALIAN GUY FROM ONLY ONE SIDE WHILE HE JUMPS ON TURTLES AND TURNS INTO A RACOON.

See, it's not a review, it's just rhetoric.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 11:57am
Yea, I haven't played any of these games, anywhere, not even at friend's houses or the Xbox I sold.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 11:59am
Deadspace was definitely 5/10. I tried liking it, but DoomIII was way better for space/horror type game.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 11:59am
So you've played every single zelda game since links awakening? You realize there's like 20 of them right, on several different systems?

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:00pm
Yea I mean, to each his own, I'm just saying. The way you wrote these 'reviews' sounds more like you're just trying to be a hater for the sake of being a hater than actually review the games. Jus sayin

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:02pm
For instance, this "Do they seriously need to keep milking this shitty ass children's story? Zelda was at it's best when it was a gritty dungeon crawler game, not a flowery modern Nintendo happy game" is not a review. It doesn't show in any way that you actually played through any of the games and saw what they had to offer, all it shows is that you wrote them off based on the graphics and the modern look. That's fine, but we all know you can't always judge a book by its cover.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at Dec 26,2012 12:04pm
I agree with Aril: fuck console games.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:04pm
Wait, when did I say I was going to review the games? I made a list a had brief comments on it. THERES ONLY SO MUCH ONE CAN DO WHILE SHITTING.
and regards to Zelda? Ive got a DS and thought those were junk, and jusy about every 3d Zelda on 64, Gamecube or Wii did not tickle my fancy at all. Although I must say, Skyward Sword looked fun, but to me, THAT SHIT AINT ZELDA BRO.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at Dec 26,2012 12:05pm
But all joking aside, Zelda was never...gritty. Ultima or OG Bard's Tale were gritty, Zelda was a cute kid's dungeon crawl game where you threw a boomerang at bouncing monsters.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:06pm
If I were to reveiw a game, i'd obviously write more.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:07pm
For the record though, I actually BEAT Fable, and I can honestly say it is WAYYYYY overrated, and the COD games aren't BAD, they're just kind of meh to me.
I though Left 4 Dead was fun as hell, but just as a kind of arcade game, not a huge amount of depth or anything.
Not familiar with the FF games.
Never played Mass Effect, probably never will.
There are many many good Zelda games after A Link to the Past, but none AS good.
Ass Creem, I liked part 2, but the first was boring and the one after 2 was just a downgraded version of 2.
and Borderlands looks kind of boring so I avoided it.

Anyway, time for TFC

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:08pm
Snowden said[orig][quote]
But all joking aside, Zelda was never...gritty. Ultima or OG Bard's Tale were gritty, Zelda was a cute kid's dungeon crawl game where you threw a boomerang at bouncing monsters.

Heh, you're right. Gritty was the wrong word. I think, overtime, Nintendo "Nintendo'd" the Zelda series and changed the tone. The original NES version and Link's Awakening for Gameboy are my fav for the old style.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:09pm
But all joking aside, Zelda was never...gritty.

Exactly. it was always gay fairies and shit, I don't understand why all of a sudden everything thinks it's too cartoony or whatever. I'm not saying they're the BEST games ever, but most of the Zelda games I've played are pretty solid adventure games with good storytelling. My only complaint is that they usually lack challenge.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:10pm
I can't even play the OG zelda anymore. SO dated haha

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:11pm
For the record, I do respect your opinion on this shit to some degree, I just think your bias against the 'nowadays' and console gaming in general is keeping you from playing some pretty fun games, and to me that's what gaming is really about... FUN.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:13pm
I dunno, if you compare the original Zelda to how it eventually evolved, I think there's a huge difference. I guess it's all how you interpret the original few games. I know my Zelda opinion is not that popular, I was just hoping Nintendo made the series darker with each game. Didn't happen. Oh well

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:14pm
Also I made this thread fully expecting to get shit.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Dec 26,2012 12:15pm
Doom III is one of my favorite all time games and I love Deadspace also. I don't know why I would have to choose one over the other.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:17pm
Yea Doom III was pretty excellent. I never beat it though because it got scratched : (

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:18pm
IMO, Zelda: twilight princess was the darkest in the whole series.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:20pm
In regards to FF, I choose NOT to play the new titles out of disgust. the last one ive played was 12 and a little of 13. No interest in them at all.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:22pm edited Dec 26,2012 12:22pm
Twilight Princess wasnt actually bad. Ive been wanting to play that again, I just have a real hard time accepting 3d Zelda games.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 12:22pm
Yea I never had much interest in the FF series in general. 3 was amazing, I never played any of the '3D' ones though.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at Dec 26,2012 12:24pm
Those games always baffled me, they felt so incredibly pre-scripted. Like you weren't even "playing" them, you were just going through the motions of re-enacting someone else's game. I did try to play FF7 for some reason, but just gave up. Rather just watch anime.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:37pm
Yea, FF (and most JRPGs) are linear

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 12:41pm
ALSO, OPINIONS ARE OPINIONS. I dont wanna be a dck and diss peoples' favorite games. Id like to see other peoples lists, if theyre willing

toggletoggle post by BSV at Dec 26,2012 12:59pm
NO SONIC????

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 1:00pm
Fable and COD series are definitely on my list.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 1:07pm
The only noteworthy fps-style game of the last maybe 10 years to me was Bioshock.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at Dec 26,2012 1:14pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Yea, FF (and most JRPGs) are linear

Yeah, I guess it felt like they went above and beyond what seemed "linear" to me at the time. This was pre-"sandbox games" and shit, the only open-ended game I remember playing was maybe ELITE. So it's not like I was expecting Eve Online or something!

Maybe they need to invent a more brutal synonym for "linear" to do JRPGs justice.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at Dec 26,2012 1:17pm
ALSO, OPINIONS ARE OPINIONS. I dont wanna be a dck and diss peoples' favorite games. Id like to see other peoples lists, if theyre willing

I can't really think of any, so I guess I'll go with the stock elitist dickhead answer: EVERY SINGLE CONSOLE GAME FRANCHISE

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 26,2012 1:25pm
i agree on Assassin's Creed, they are boring.

GTA will never get old. IV had it's moments, however San Andreas is impossible to top. i just deleted my file and restarted the campaign.

i only play CoD4 and World at War, and those campaigns are stellar. i don't have much desire for any others though. even the online play gets stale fast.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 1:27pm
I mean, I have fun at times playing CoD, but at the same time, they milk it for money.

Off topic, but does anyone have the new Wii? Might buy it.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Dec 26,2012 2:52pm
BSV said[orig][quote]
NO SONIC????

This. Same fucking game over and over and the first one got old in the Child World trial kiosk.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 2:54pm
I'm a huge huge sonic fan. 1-knuckles. Including Spinball.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD  at Dec 26,2012 3:10pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
i agree on Assassin's Creed, they are boring.

GTA will never get old. IV had it's moments, however San Andreas is impossible to top. i just deleted my file and restarted the campaign.

This is the only new console game in the last several years I've gotten to try and I agree with the recommend - at one point, I managed to kill myself with a gas station explosion that shot me like a cannon a few hundred yards smacking into the side of a bridge, slowly sliding down while being shot full of holes by police helicopters before falling into the water. How all that happened before it faded out I don't understand considering the initial explosion killed me, and I never managed it again - but Best Death Ever.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 26,2012 3:17pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]
BSV said[orig][quote]
NO SONIC????

This. Same fucking game over and over and the first one got old in the Child World trial kiosk.

wait wait wait...i missed this the first time. i will suffer no blasphemy to the majesty of Sonic.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 3:32pm
Spinball is the best Sonic game. So good. Although Mario series >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sonic

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 3:37pm
Anyone remember the James Pond series?
What about the Wonder Boy series?

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 3:43pm
Only McKids is real.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 3:44pm
McKids, lL O L

toggletoggle post by Spence at Dec 26,2012 3:47pm
Agree with everything but Zelda, and even that I semi-agree with. Doesn't keep MM and everything before it from being awesome.

Only thing I would've added, Resident Evil once it got lame as balls. (I.E., Resident Evil 4 and onwards. RE 0-3 and Code Named Veronica are still awesome as fuck)

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 3:50pm
Resident Evil 5 was garrrrrrrrrrbage.

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Dec 26,2012 3:51pm

9.) Every Zelda game that is after Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past. Do they seriously need to keep milking this shitty ass children's story? Zelda was at it's best when it was a gritty dungeon crawler game, not a flowery modern Nintendo happy game.

Anyone who discounts Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask from being quality Zelda titles never enjoyed using an N64. FUCK YOU

toggletoggle post by Spence at Dec 26,2012 3:53pm
Alexecutioner said[orig][quote]
Anyone who discounts Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask from being quality Zelda titles never enjoyed using an N64. FUCK YOU

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 3:55pm
3D Zelda? Fuck those games, they started the demise.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 4:00pm
I love both those games enough to not need to bother arguing about whether they're good or not. I understand your complaints, but still think very highly of both, particularly Ocarina.

toggletoggle post by Spence at Dec 26,2012 4:03pm
Those two games didn't begin the demise. If ANYTHING, those two games were the perfect bridge into 3D.

If they kept up with those games in terms of difficulty and fun after MM, then this would still be one of the greatest game franchises ever. It's not OoT and MM's fault that they later dropped the ball.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 4:10pm
Ive been dealing with this shit since these damn 3D Zelda games came out. There is no sense is discussing it further and I understand why everyone likes them. To me, Zelda has always been a 2d game. I've always felt that way and I don't think it will ever change.
Ironically, I also thought Mario64 was amazing when it came out, but something didn't sit right with me either. now, I couldn't care less about replaying it. The highlight for 64 will always be Goldeneye.

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Dec 26,2012 4:12pm
While i would never argue that any 3D zelda games are better than the originals, I think it was one of THE BEST 3D recreations of the Zelda franchise. I've played a few on the Wii and they were close but no cigar (using a Wiimote for Zelda SUCKS)

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 4:14pm
Ive been dealing with this shit since these damn 3D Zelda games came out. There is no sense is discussing it further and I understand why everyone likes them. To me, Zelda has always been a 2d game. I've always felt that way and I don't think it will ever change.

agreed. I disagree but don't really care either, because noone is going to change my mind. DISCUSSION OVER

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 4:16pm
I have the DS titles and they're okaaay at best. I bought the Oracle of Ages and Seasons for my gameboy color the day they came out and thought the dungeons were awesome, but stories SUCKED.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 4:16pm
(using a Wiimote for just about anything SUCKS)

ficksed

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 26,2012 4:16pm
Overrated series:

1. Halo
2. Diablo

To the OP: Give Mass Effect 2 another try, and play on "insanity". Playing at that level makes you really have to make maximum use of your powers, and squad tactics and stuff, rather than just crushing through your enemies mindlessly. If you like games like Albion, you may be able to appreciate that.

toggletoggle post by Spence at Dec 26,2012 4:16pm
The highlight for 64 will always be Perfect Dark, a much superior game to Goldeneye.

^

Also, i've always enjoyed Banjo Kazooie(not any of the god awful sequels or spin offs though, those all suck dick) way more than I enjoyed Mario 64. I also enjoyed Rayman 2: The Great Escape a lot, despite the hate it gets. Both were my definition of a perfect fun platformer on the N64.

I recently replayed OoT from start to finish. Now that i'm older, the thing that really bothers me, is I REALLY only find doing the dungeons to be fun. Side missions, hunting special boos, the horse race with the douche, finding special items, hunting gold tokens, etc. just REALLY is not fun now that i'm not 10. hahaha

And it's quite jarring how useless money truly is in the game, considering a lot of the hidden treasures of the land and rewards for sidequests are money related.

Then again, who plays any Zelda games for any reason other than the dungeons? Hahaha

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 4:17pm
I have the DS titles and they're okaaay at best. I bought the Oracle of Ages and Seasons for my gameboy color the day they came out and thought the dungeons were awesome, but stories SUCKED.

I had Seasons, remember being good but not as good as Links Awakening. Game was ILL SON

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 26,2012 4:19pm
Ultima

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 26,2012 4:20pm
I would add to OP that something I've noticed a lot of in nowadays gaming is when they put some sort of inventory management and a basic system of experience that does something like convert kills into points that you can spend on minor new abilities, and then calling it an 'RPG.' RPG DOES NOT STAND FOR 'SLIGHTLY LESS LINEAR BECAUSE YOU CAN CHOOSE A FIREBALL INSTEAD OF A FREEZE RAY FOR YOUR CHARACTER'

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 4:22pm
trioxin245 said[orig][quote]
I would add to OP that something I've noticed a lot of in nowadays gaming is when they put some sort of inventory management and a basic system of experience that does something like convert kills into points that you can spend on minor new abilities, and then calling it an 'RPG.' RPG DOES NOT STAND FOR 'SLIGHTLY LESS LINEAR BECAUSE YOU CAN CHOOSE A FIREBALL INSTEAD OF A FREEZE RAY FOR YOUR CHARACTER'

THANK YOU

toggletoggle post by Spence at Dec 26,2012 4:23pm

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Dec 26,2012 4:27pm
N64 Gold = Perfect Dark > Golden Eye > Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask.

Having gone back after many many years to play Golden Eye, it ruined my memories of an awesome game after playing years of FPS on PC and modern consoles which made strafing much easier than using those fucking little yellow buttons.

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 26,2012 4:30pm
Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2 have an excellent combat system. Too bad the rest of the game is not so good.

toggletoggle post by Alexecutioner at Dec 26,2012 5:06pm
Half assed gameplay reviews

10.) Dead Space series. Game sucked, combat was clunky and pretty much if you fucked up one or two shots the attacker would fuck you up depending on the difficulty. Shit was not fun, slow to progress, and was only a good game if you are afraid of pixelated monsters while sitting in your room at night with all the lights off. PUSSIES

9.) Every Zelda game that is after N64 was lame. Example: Gamecube straight up sucked and no one cared about cell shaded link. Also, Wiimotes fucking suck in general and the Zelda releases can be summed up as "Oh cool now i can make it harder to walk around, look, and navigate in my new Zelda game!" said no one ever...

8.) Assassin's Creed serires. Otherwise known as "Asscum's Bleed," if you played the first five minutes of the first game you've played every single one minus some additional gear and weapons. I played the first and second all the way through, story got progressively worse. Attempted to play the release after #2 (whats that, "brotherhood" or something?) and it took me about 5 minutes to realize it was EXACTLY like the one before it and i stopped playing immediately.

7.) Final Fantasy - actually never played any of these so NO CARE.

6.) Fable. Who doesnt want to marry some random bitch then kill her? I didnt play anything after the first one which was on original xbox, but nothing wow'd me about this game having played Star Wars: KOTOR and already knew what it was like to play a game that modeled you after your good or evil in-game decisions. NOTHING NEW HERE.

5.) Mass Effect - The story is boring and rips off everything before it, and the RPG elements are lackluster. I gave both I and II a shot and left shaking my head. So much potential, washed down the drain. They need to modernize a game like Albion, though I don't think Blue Byte Software exists anymore.

4.) Borderlands. 99% OF THE GUNS IN THIS GAME WERE TRASH FODDER. I DONT GET WHY THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA. You get a gun, use if FOREVER because every gun after it was nowhere near an upgrade, then you get another gun like 20 gameplay hours later after either trashing or selling every other gun you ever picked up in the game ever.

3.) Grand Theft Auto. Shit is awesome and always will be. who didnt shit a brick when they first laid eyes on GTA3 in its 3D glory? I grew up on the original 2D birds eye view format, but anyone who refuses to acknowledge the vast improvements brought on by the 3D interface simply isnt willing to admit that sometimes NEW FEATURES = AWESOME.

2.) Left 4 Dead. Shit was boring and always will be, unless you play with friends especially those you know in real life. Pretty much would only play this game when i had buddies online who were also playing. Bought L4D2 and never even bothered finishing all of the campaigns since no one bought it. Very very repetitive gameplay, shooting endless waves of zombies, mixed up with a few timed sequences while waiting for something to explode or someone to come rescue you while you fight 3 tanks at a time and yell at your entire team to come revive you...

1.) Call of Duty series. The original versions of this on PC changed a lot of ways people make shooters today. Can't really say much more than the fact that its a cash cow for console and gaming companies so of course they are going to pump out a new one each year. Shit gets more dull with time since i think the lack of actual new gameplay changing features are few and far between. Shit relies heavily on Multiplayer as they campaigns are about half as short as they used to be. Call of Duty 2 was one of the best single player shooter campaigns i've ever played on Xbox.

FUCK YOU FOR SPELLING ERRORS AND GRAMMAR IM AT WORK AND I DONT CARE

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 26,2012 5:59pm
Agree on all except Borderlands. Love those games.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 26,2012 6:22pm
A boy and his blob is the best video game ever made

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Dec 26,2012 6:22pm
The hobbit game is great

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 26,2012 7:08pm
You liked FF7? You un true faggots. That is where they jumped the shark.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 7:10pm
FF7 was the beginning of the end for Final Fantasy. Some may argue that it's the greatest game of all time, yet I believe most of those peoples' first FF game was FF7.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 26,2012 8:39pm

Zelda

story

???

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 26,2012 8:42pm

THANK YOU

A thousand times this. I had the biggest online Chinatown with some kid who went to my school; he was insisting up and down that LoZ was an RPG because it had items and hearts and a sword.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 26,2012 8:43pm
Never played Ultima + never played Wizardry + never played Pool of Radiance = NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Dec 26,2012 9:56pm
Temple of Apshai or GTFO

toggletoggle post by Snowden NLI at Dec 26,2012 9:58pm
Never mapped Bard's Tale on graphing paper = NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Dec 26,2012 10:24pm
ITT:

and a suspicious lack of Madden.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 26,2012 10:26pm
javascript://

OR NOT ALLLOWED TO HAVE OPINION

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Dec 26,2012 10:39pm
Fable, assasins creed

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 26,2012 11:27pm
Snowden%20NLI said[orig][quote]
Never mapped Bard's Tale on graphing paper = NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION
i just re-bought that game.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 27,2012 7:31am
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
Never played Ultima + never played Wizardry + never played Pool of Radiance = NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION
Ive played the shit out of Ultima and Wizardry, but never playyed Pool of Radiance :( I already knew opinion didn't matter though :...........c

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 27,2012 7:34am
Hold on though, I DO remember playing Hillsfar, also a D & D game by SSI. Dont remember being super into it though, and I was only 7 or 8.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 27,2012 8:06am
SSI was the shit.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Dec 27,2012 8:37am
no one hates on Farcry...cause games are ill.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Dec 27,2012 8:37am
actually, they do kinda end up being the same thing over and over with the occasional different mission here and there.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 27,2012 8:41am
AndrewBastard said[orig][quote]
no one hates on Farcry...cause games are ill.

Farcry 2 was one of the worst games I've played in the last 5 years. Farcry III is supposed to be amazing, so I'm looking forward on that one.

One of the more underrated FPS series = Soldier of Fortune series. SoFII= more fun than most games online

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Dec 27,2012 8:45am
i enjoyed 2 but it was the same thing over and over and over

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 27,2012 9:06am
Hold on though, I DO remember playing Hillsfar, also a D & D game by SSI. Dont remember being super into it though, and I was only 7 or 8.

Haha, nice. Hillsfar was kinda weird - it was like this sort-of-rpg-ish minigame collection. The real cool thing was that, on PC, you could take your Pool of Radiance PCs through Hillsfar to beef them up before tackling Secret of the Silver Blades. Kinda pointless on NES, though.

Also,

Never played a tourist in Nethack and stunned a floating eye with your expensive camera = NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION, THE LITTLE DOG BITES, THE LITTLE DOG BITES, THE LITTLE DOG EATS THE LIZARD CORPSE

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Dec 27,2012 9:12am
i enjoyed 2 but it was the same thing over and over and over

"Go attack this UPLL outpost, but remember even though you're working for us, the BTRD, nobody knows that so our troops are going to attack you too."

African civil wars are retarded.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 27,2012 9:15am
Yea I played Hillsfar on NES and remember not thinking too much of it. There were parts of it that were first person dungeon crawler that were cool but really simple. Do you remember Phantasie series? Top down turn-based games, I only played the first one al the way through though. The viallains' name was Nicodemus which I always thought was funny because I just imagined the rat Nicodemus from Secret of Nimh.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 27,2012 9:36am
Was anyone here a fan of the Gauntlet series?

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 27,2012 10:47am

Haha, nice. Hillsfar was kinda weird - it was like this sort-of-rpg-ish minigame collection. The real cool thing was that, on PC, you could take your Pool of Radiance PCs through Hillsfar to beef them up before tackling Secret of the Silver Blades. Kinda pointless on NES, though.

Also,

Never played a tourist in Nethack and stunned a floating eye with your expensive camera = NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINION, THE LITTLE DOG BITES, THE LITTLE DOG BITES, THE LITTLE DOG EATS THE LIZARD CORPSE

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 27,2012 10:48am
Gauntlet rules. Noone will agree, but I LOVE Gauntlet Legends for the N64. Home console arcade gaming at its finest.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 27,2012 10:50am
Gauntlet 4 was as high as I went. Never played the 64 one.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 27,2012 10:54am
Pretty much every Gauntlet game Ive ever played has been pretty damn fun. Though ive heard bad things about the nu ones.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 27,2012 10:56am
Wait, they're still making them?? lolz.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 27,2012 10:59am edited Dec 27,2012 10:59am
TIRED FRANCHISE NEEDS FOOD, BADLY

toggletoggle post by Snowden NLI at Dec 27,2012 12:17pm
Oh man, tabletop arcade Gauntlet with 3 friends was the absolute best.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 27,2012 12:22pm
A Gauntlet arcade machine would be the best thing for a living room.

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 27,2012 1:53pm

Atari didn't have the dough to get Wink Martindale so they got that dude.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD  at Dec 27,2012 3:56pm
Anyone remember that butt ugly girl in the original Ultima for Nintendo who said "Think me pretty?" and you couldn't get further in the game unless you told her Yes. Ultima: preparing men for the bar scene at an early age.

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Dec 27,2012 4:03pm
Aril, you are spot on with your list. Couldn't agree more. Even though FFX and FF12 were good but not nearly as good as some of the prior ones, those annoying elements you mentioned definitely ticked me off when I was playing them.

It's like why couldn't they just not do that? 7 had a relatively dark atmosphere for a lot of it and I was definitely more attracted to that than the fucking gay ass haircuts and voices they have in the newest ones WHICH ARE INTOLERABLE AT THIS POINT.

SERIES RUINED BY FAGGOTRY.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 27,2012 4:06pm
Any franchise that puts out morrowwind is over rated.

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Dec 27,2012 4:10pm
Gonna throw Dragon Quest out there. Game has always looked sooo gay!

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 27,2012 4:12pm
Why cause you can just go to the square where the dragon Armor is without talking to the king?

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 28,2012 6:58am
Randy_Marsh said[orig][quote]

All credibility lost.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 28,2012 7:35am
LOOK AT HIM HES CUTE

toggletoggle post by Boozegood at Dec 28,2012 9:11am edited Dec 28,2012 9:16am
Please explain what CS 1.6 has to do with CoD besides the fact they are both FPSers with modern weapons?

"Release the same game with slightly different elements, etc. etc." completely disregards the fact that they release an entire new single player campaign with each release.

I'm no CoD fan-boy by a long-shot, by any means; it just sounds like you are hating to hate.

You are probably the type that would hate SF3FS or SF4 because 'NOTHING IS BETTER THEN SF2!' or something.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:19am
It's simple, CS 1.6 set the standard for team-based FPS wargaming. It also was (and still is) one of the more fun online games to play whereas CoD is mediocre, yet rehashed with every release. I enjoyed playing CoD online, but it's not memorable and lasting. The one thing CoD has is its realism and single player campaign missions. But really, why emulate reality? Video games are supposed to be games, and I think companies these days try too hard to emulate reality, mostly in the FPS genre, as it is first-person perspective.

toggletoggle post by Boozegood at Dec 28,2012 9:23am edited Dec 28,2012 9:24am
It's simple, CS 1.6 set the standard for team-based FPS wargaming. It also was (and still is) one of the more fun online games to play whereas CoD is mediocre, yet rehashed with every release. I enjoyed playing CoD online, but it's not memorable and lasting. The one thing CoD has is its realism and single player campaign missions. But really, why emulate reality? Video games are supposed to be games, and I think companies these days try too hard to emulate reality, mostly in the FPS genre, as it is first-person perspective.

I understand that about 1.6, but it's still very, very different almost to the point of being a bad comparison to CoD in my opinion. 1.6 is an all time classic as well; so of course it's 'better' then CoD.

Also CoD is very, very (very...very, very) far away from reality, haha.

Also CoD has released some of the ultimate mega-best FPSes of all-time, such as CoD2.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:24am
Well shit, your one sentence grew into multiple sentences withib my timeframe of typing a response.
And yes, I believe a lot of follow up games aren't as good as the original. It's not in every case, but just because a game is newer with better graphics doesn't mean it's better. It's like comparing a 1940s movie to something today. Sure, the technique and technology has improved, but that doesn't mean the movie is better.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Dec 28,2012 9:25am
RAMIREZ, SHOOT DOWN THAT HIND WITH YOUR CROSSBOW!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:26am
They still have a long way to go, but don't you see how they try to make it realistic wuth each release? All the new FPS game engines model themselves after reality. I'd say in 10 years, we may not even be able to tell the difference.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:28am
DING CHAVEZ IN THE ORIGINAL RAINBOW SIX > EVERYTHING ELSE

toggletoggle post by Boozegood at Dec 28,2012 9:28am
They still have a long way to go, but don't you see how they try to make it realistic wuth each release? All the new FPS game engines model themselves after reality. I'd say in 10 years, we may not even be able to tell the difference.

Yes they may be close to reality if they ever release this one:

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:31am
Listen, I'm not saying CoD is a horrible franchise, I just think it's overrated and they milk it for money. They have an unlimited budget and keep creating the same kind of game over and over and over.
I don't really make much sense though considering all I play is TFC.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 28,2012 9:47am
WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:49am
BECAUSE BEING A VIDEOGAME NAZI AND MAKING UNECESSARY LISTS TO BE AN ASS TO PEOPLE WHILST BEING BORED AT WORK IS FUN.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Dec 28,2012 9:56am
RAMIREZ, LIST YOUR 10 LEAST FAVORITE MODERN VIDEO GAME FRANCHISES WITHOUT PEOPLE GETTING BUTTHURT OVER IT!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 9:58am
company of heroes = best RTS in the last 10 years.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 28,2012 10:41am
they need to make a Star Wars: Battlefront that plays like CoD.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Dec 28,2012 12:59pm
agreed so hard^^

toggletoggle post by AndrewFagtard at Dec 28,2012 1:01pm
of course you are hard..

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Dec 28,2012 1:02pm
Randy_Marsh said[orig][quote]

All credibility lost.

The newer ones dude, in the same parallel as the FF series.

toggletoggle post by AndrewFagtard at Dec 28,2012 1:04pm
go on..

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Dec 28,2012 1:07pm
If they made a star wars COD style...only ONE person can be boba fett at a time...like in goldeneye

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 28,2012 1:18pm
Yeti said[orig][quote]
they need to make a Star Wars: Battlefront that plays like CoD.

I've never played it, but I am pretty sure the game Star Wars: Republic Commando was similar to call of duty.

They were going to make Battlefront 3, but I read that it was cancelled.

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 28,2012 1:29pm
Also, A new Star Wars game that actually involves flying a spaceship would be nice. Haven't seen one of those for a while...

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 1:30pm
The Lego Star Wars games have flying parts.

And YES, those games are amazing.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Dec 28,2012 1:30pm
a star wars game done Bethesda / Skyrim style (ie dark and not cartoony/kiddy) in a completely OPEN world where you can travel between planets and each planet is a new huge map to explore etc would be so fucking epic.

Ross and I have wet dreamed over this idea many a time.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 1:32pm
a star wars game done Bethesda / Skyrim style (ie dark and not cartoony/kiddy) in a completely OPEN world where you can travel between planets and each planet is a new huge map to explore etc would be so fucking epic.

Didn't you guys ever play Star Wars Galaxies?

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Dec 28,2012 1:35pm
i dont want it MMO

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 1:37pm
Just sayin'. Kind of similar to the way you described it. It was fun, but I hate MMORPGs. I ended up getting banned from a server for disrupting a "wedding."shit was whack.

toggletoggle post by givemeedtilimdead at Dec 28,2012 1:37pm
The Lego Star Wars games have flying parts.

True, but I believe they should make a new game along the lines of TIE FIGHTER, that is purely space combat. Perhaps there is just not enough interest in that sort of game anymore, or they probably would have already made it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 28,2012 1:37pm
I agree,,that would be awesome.

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Dec 28,2012 1:57pm
i dont want it MMO
exactly. FUCK MMO. Single player depth or no depth at all.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney at Dec 28,2012 4:00pm
I hate Assassin's Creed more than any series I've ever played.

toggletoggle post by Boozegood at Dec 28,2012 10:27pm

Not Star Wars, but:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Looks amazing.

toggletoggle post by ShadowSD  at Dec 29,2012 5:59pm
DRAGON WARRIOR! I loved that game growing up. You could go be the King for a while. Then you realize five seconds later you can't do shit as King, and no one lets you leave the castle. So you have to tuck your tail between your legs and ask the King to be the King again, and you can almost hear him saying, stupid khed, why do you think I gave it up so easily, SHIT'S BORING.

Question For The Ages: Who would win a fight between a slime and an imp?

Or would the fight continue endlessly?

toggletoggle post by my_dying_bride at Dec 31,2012 9:58am
N64 Gold = Perfect Dark > Golden Eye >

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Dec 31,2012 10:19am
my_dying_bride said[orig][quote]
N64 Gold = Perfect Dark > Golden Eye >

agreed x100

toggletoggle post by Spence at Dec 31,2012 2:25pm
Goldeneye was fun when I was six. Now it just makes me want to bash my head in with it's terribad graphics and even worse controls.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at Dec 31,2012 2:28pm
I can't imagine growing up on 3rd and 4th gen systems...

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 31,2012 3:01pm
arillius_the_white said[orig][quote]
I can't imagine growing up on 3rd and 4th gen systems...

arillius_the_white said[orig][quote]
Never owned a Bentley Compu-Vision...

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at Dec 31,2012 3:05pm
lulz.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Dec 31,2012 3:07pm
It plays tennis, squash, soccer AND HANDBALL.

toggletoggle post by arkmass at Dec 31,2012 3:16pm
Boozegood said[orig][quote]

Not Star Wars, but:

Looks amazing.
holy shit, support

toggletoggle post by Ghoulash at Dec 31,2012 7:50pm
arkmass said[orig][quote]
Boozegood said[orig][quote]

Not Star Wars, but:

Looks amazing.
holy shit, support

yup

toggletoggle post by trioxin245  at Jan 2,2013 10:37am

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Grotesque Bloody Afterbirth
[default homepage] [print][9:57:05pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.08781 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]