New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Adam Yauch (mca) of the Beastie Boys is dead by arillius_the_white on May 4,2012 1:18pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 1:18pm

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at May 4,2012 1:19pm
Sad.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2012 1:20pm

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 1:22pm
lol at pic.
and well this blows a lot.

toggletoggle post by CurlyRed at May 4,2012 1:23pm
Sucky

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at May 4,2012 1:23pm
Old joke is old.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2012 1:28pm
All the best ones are.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at May 4,2012 1:30pm
:(

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 1:31pm
Besides maybe one or two songs, beastie boys were always just a whiny reminder of why whitey shouldn't rap. With that said, sucks that he died so early.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at May 4,2012 1:32pm

toggletoggle post by trioxin_245  at May 4,2012 1:33pm
GIRLS
all I really want is
GIRLS
to do the laundry
GIRLS
to do... YOURE DEAD

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 1:34pm
Alx_Casket said[orig][quote]
Besides maybe one or two songs, beastie boys were always just a whiny reminder of why whitey shouldn't rap. With that said, sucks that he died so early.

Uhhhhhhhhh.... They were extremely influential in the development of a genre of music. doesn't matter if theyre white.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 1:35pm
Tell me, who lists the beastie boys as one of their influences? I've never heard anyone mention their name in that context.

toggletoggle post by ABastard NLI at May 4,2012 1:35pm
:(

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at May 4,2012 1:35pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]
Now that's funny.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2012 1:36pm edited May 4,2012 1:37pm
Besides maybe one or two songs, beastie boys were always just a whiny reminder of why whitey shouldn't rap.

Good po- OH WAIT

bennyhillifier

> 99% of nowadays hardcore bands

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2012 1:38pm
Tell me, who lists the beastie boys as one of their influences? I've never heard anyone mention their name in that context.

ITT: dudes ashamed of listing white guys as influential, still steal from shamelessly

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 1:39pm
yikes.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at May 4,2012 1:48pm

toggletoggle post by xmikex at May 4,2012 1:52pm

this.

toggletoggle post by trioxin_245  at May 4,2012 1:56pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]

this.

not that it matters, but I have definitely at least heard eminem mention them.
in b4 "who cares eminem is gay, bla bla" he's still pretty damn big

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 1:57pm
So the argument is that the Beastie Boys aren't influential because they're not listed a lot as an influence? Hahahha.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 1:58pm edited May 4,2012 2:00pm

arillius_the_white said[orig][quote]
doesn't matter if theyre white.

You haven't really given much of an argument yet, aril. You never mentioned what they influenced, and just laugh at my supported point. Tryharder.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 1:59pm
Hitler said[orig][quote]

doesn't matter if theyre jewish.

warning level raised.

Fixed.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 2:00pm
Watch it. Watch all the MCs come out and show support now that he is dead. Mark my words, Alx.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 2:01pm
Damn, I edited my post after you quoted me :|

Still, you're immature and have no argument.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 2:02pm
Watch it. Watch all the MCs come out and show support now that he is dead. Mark my words, Alx.

Obvi, I'm sure there will be tribute albums and much pac love. You can expect that if anyone who made some hit records croaked.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 2:07pm
You think a bunch of bling bling inner city black guys would have the balls to admit the music they participate in was influenced by some scrawny white Jewish NYC kids in the 80s?

The argument here is how they affected the development of a genre. I think the counter argument has no reason to be said. You're a fool for not realizing their importance. Give it up.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at May 4,2012 2:08pm
beastie boys were fucking terrible.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 2:11pm
Give it up.

No, you.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at May 4,2012 2:12pm

That's racist. Nobody should be rapping, regardless of the color of their skin. Worst genre of music ever.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 2:15pm

toggletoggle post by arktourOs at May 4,2012 2:16pm
rap isn't music, it's rap.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at May 4,2012 2:18pm
Okay, with my asshole statement out of the way, the Beastie Boys were something I listened to and took enjoyment in as a kid. The news did startle me for a second because I hadn't heard anything about the guy's cancer, but when it comes down to it, the music just hasn't been relevant to me in ages. I briefly considered going back and listening to some of it but so much more of me was just like "nahhhh" that I didn't bother.

47/48 is too young to die.

toggletoggle post by nagoodak at May 4,2012 2:20pm
I have been influenced by the Beasties. Paul's Boutique is proof of how good sampling can be.

RIP

I still say if rap isn't music than neither is metal.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 4,2012 2:20pm
the 4th wasn't with him.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 2:21pm
Licensed to Ill ('86) was the first "rap" album to reach no.1 on US Billboards.

YET NOBODY IS INFLUECED BY THEM, RIGHT?

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at May 4,2012 2:22pm
I think of rap as poetry set to a beat. Not really the most challenging genre from a structural soundpoint, I guess, but it still takes skill. I just HATE (and I mean really hate) the way it sounds.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 2:23pm
The new khand track does have some beastie boys influence, I take it all back.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 2:23pm
well technically it's not. rap isn't based on notes. it can't really be transcribed. yeah rap "contains" music but by the classical definition of music, it's not, whereas metal is. rap is still a temporal art. it's not devalued just because you can't call it "music". anyway it's a stupid timeless argument. rap is rap.

toggletoggle post by yummy at May 4,2012 2:24pm
Saying that the Beastie Boys had no influence on me would be like pretending I never ate pasta

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at May 4,2012 2:26pm
the guy was a hell of a flautist

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at May 4,2012 2:39pm
monotone into a mic with echo effects about it

toggletoggle post by beastie fan at May 4,2012 2:45pm

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 2:47pm
I'm sure they've inspired many auctioneers' flow. I do like hip hop, sampling, and I find the turntablism movement pretty interesting. They had some catchy melodies, but I wouldn't say they were huge influences on any of those things.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at May 4,2012 2:58pm
I'm sure they've inspired many auctioneers' flow. I do like hip hop, sampling, and I find the turntablism movement pretty interesting. They had some catchy melodies, but I wouldn't say they were huge influences on any of those things.
Then you're not paying attention.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at May 4,2012 2:58pm
Rappers never give props to the Beasties?

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by trioxin_245  at May 4,2012 2:58pm
wow this thread is still going? jesus.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 2:59pm
RustyPS said[orig][quote]
Then you're not paying attention.

seriously dude. before licensed to ill the term "gangsta rap" didn't even exist. funny that it started off as a joke.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 3:01pm

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 3:03pm
trioxin_245 said[orig][quote]
wow this thread is still going? jesus.

Just keeping the fire going with the sole intent of further ruining your life.

toggletoggle post by xgodzillax  at May 4,2012 3:38pm
alx is a self hating jew, because the beaties boys are jews, and apparently jews cant rap.

toggletoggle post by snowden at May 4,2012 3:49pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]

Okay, that was kind of funny. Maybe Serch and Pete Nice will come out of the woodwork to bury the hatchet with the remaining Beastie Boys?

toggletoggle post by illinoisenemaBradness at May 4,2012 4:21pm
arguing that rap isn't real music. seriously?
really?

toggletoggle post by arktourap at May 4,2012 4:50pm
Missing my point. It's funny that people get offended by the fact that rap doesn't fit the classical definition of music. Rap has it's own definition. Go ahead and transcribe a rap song. You can't. Also lol again at the "if rap isn't then metal isn't either" chestnut. Don't get offended bros. Rap is rap and rap is not music, shit's been confuurmed by smarter people than you or I.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 5:02pm
Snoop Dogg tweeted about it calling him a true pioneer. Bunch of other rappers and hip hop artists are too.

NO INFLUENCE? Where are you alx, you need to admit you were wrong here.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at May 4,2012 5:19pm edited May 4,2012 5:20pm
This "if you don't play instruments, you don't play music" argument is so tired.

The Beastie Boys were absolutely influential. If you don't get that, no amount of logical explanation is going to change your mind.

Anyways, RIP MCA. What a shame.

toggletoggle post by beastie fan at May 4,2012 5:24pm
they all played instruments and did a whole instrument cd and tour.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 5:26pm
Rev?

toggletoggle post by arktourap at May 4,2012 5:29pm
Im just talking about the actual definition of thr word here

toggletoggle post by hot carlton at May 4,2012 5:34pm
arktourap said[orig][quote]
Im just talking about the actual definition of thr word here

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Here

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 6:05pm
Snoop Dogg tweeted about it calling him a true pioneer. Bunch of other rappers and hip hop artists are too.

OK, compare that to Michael Jackson. People gave credit to him as an influence all the time when he was ALIVE. Sympathy tweets don't count. I know you're smart enough to know that much.

I'm not denying that they were a talented and successful group, but it pisses me off when the short attention spanned majority gives this level of attention to someone who most of us (let's face it) haven't heard about in years. When someone dies, all of a sudden our cohort sees it fitting to have an anniversary of their death every year and play their music on that day. It's as if you only play those songs to remember their lives. You didn't fucking know them! Music is music, listen to it when the mood strikes. Sorry I didn't immediately respond, I was grocery shopping in Chinatown.

toggletoggle post by snowden at May 4,2012 6:17pm
Missing my point. It's funny that people get offended by the fact that rap doesn't fit the classical definition of music. Rap has it's own definition. Go ahead and transcribe a rap song. You can't. Also lol again at the "if rap isn't then metal isn't either" chestnut. Don't get offended bros. Rap is rap and rap is not music, shit's been confuurmed by smarter people than you or I.

I think the problem is that you're using "the classical definition of music" and "music" as if they were the same thing. That's one way to look at it, but it's not the only one and certainly not the "right" one by any objective standard.

toggletoggle post by snowden at May 4,2012 6:20pm edited May 4,2012 6:20pm
I'm not denying that they were a talented and successful group, but it pisses me off when the short attention spanned majority gives this level of attention to someone who most of us (let's face it) haven't heard about in years.

I don't think this "most of us," i.e. people posting on a New England heavy metal messageboard, are a very good barometer of a rapper's cultural relevance.

toggletoggle post by arillius_the_white at May 4,2012 7:09pm
It is a commonality that musical relevance increases after death. Nice job pointing that out!!

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 7:21pm
snowden said[orig][quote]

I think the problem is that you're using "the classical definition of music" and "music" as if they were the same thing. That's one way to look at it, but it's not the only one and certainly not the "right" one by any objective standard.
oh absolutely.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at May 4,2012 7:24pm
commonality

HATE that word. You win.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 4,2012 7:25pm
alx we are in a state of total commonality in our hatred.

toggletoggle post by Headbanging_Man at May 4,2012 7:54pm
arktourOs said[orig][quote]
rap isn't music

Also, homework sucks, and never trust anyone over the age of 17!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 4,2012 7:56pm

OK, compare that to Michael Jackson. People gave credit to him as an influence all the time when he was ALIVE. Sympathy tweets don't count. I know you're smart enough to know that much.

I'm not denying that they were a talented and successful group, but it pisses me off when the short attention spanned majority gives this level of attention to someone who most of us (let's face it) haven't heard about in years. When someone dies, all of a sudden our cohort sees it fitting to have an anniversary of their death every year and play their music on that day. It's as if you only play those songs to remember their lives. You didn't fucking know them! Music is music, listen to it when the mood strikes. Sorry I didn't immediately respond, I was grocery shopping in Chinatown.

I feel like the hip-hop world has acknowledged the Beastie Boys' influence plenty by SAMPLING THEM NONSTOP FOR DECADES, to the point where it didn't really need to be acknowledged out loud. (Except, it has been acknowledged, out loud and in print, by tons and tons and tons of artists in the field. Since the beginning. How you are not aware of this is another discussion entirely.)

toggletoggle post by Headbanging_Man at May 4,2012 8:01pm
You guys are obviously forgetting the classic Dwell Records release No Sleep Till Beastie: A Tribute To The BEASTIE BOYS... Love BLACK WITCHERY's take on "She's Crafty" though I coulda done without the ROCKAPELLA track.

toggletoggle post by NSBM_SCENE at May 5,2012 2:46am
JEWS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY MUSIC

toggletoggle post by BSV at May 5,2012 10:50am
some instrumental stuff is ok. sabotage was a cool video. never really been a rap fan. i never understood why they would got played on aaf or bcn all the time, must be cause their jewish. where can i hear the stuff they did when they were a hardcore band?

toggletoggle post by arktouros at May 5,2012 11:10am
Headbanging_Man said[orig][quote]
arktourOs said[orig][quote]
rap isn't music

Also, homework sucks, and never trust anyone over the age of 17!

Fuckin A. I LIKE RAP. i wouldn't group it next to schubert. GAWD.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 5,2012 11:14am
BSV said[orig][quote]
some instrumental stuff is ok. sabotage was a cool video. never really been a rap fan. i never understood why they would got played on aaf or bcn all the time, must be cause their jewish. where can i hear the stuff they did when they were a hardcore band?

Most of it's collected on "Some Old Bullshit".

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 5,2012 11:16am
^ chick from Luscious Jackson on drums

toggletoggle post by hungtableeeed at May 6,2012 11:31am

...Wrong. Easily some of the best rappers around today are white as fuck.

toggletoggle post by hungtableeeed at May 6,2012 11:31am

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at May 6,2012 11:35am
BSV said[orig][quote]
i never understood why they would got played on aaf or bcn all the time, must be cause their jewish.
That must be why they play Cypress Hill all the time too.

toggletoggle post by xgodzillax  at May 6,2012 12:33pm
BSV said[orig][quote]

bennyhillifier
this is from 1996, this ep was all hardcore.

also, most of their records have atleast one hardcore song

toggletoggle post by xgodzillax  at May 6,2012 1:04pm

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at May 6,2012 2:21pm
Notable:

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 10,2012 1:55am

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][12:45:52pm Apr 25,2024
load time 0.07547 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]