New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Define "Raw Black Metal" by undercommon on Mar 13,2012 8:51pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by undercommon at Mar 13,2012 8:51pm
Honestly I thought it was the recording style which defined you but apparently it is a genre
Not asking for raw black metal bands as example, define the genre

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 8:56pm
Under produced, grim and cold metal with lots of inverted minor versus major chords, some one foot blasts perhaps? Singing about satan whilst wearing lots of corpse paint and bullet belts and spikes? Ummm, you could figure this all out on a youtube/google search. Are you in a "raw Black metal" band?

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 8:57pm

toggletoggle post by yummy at Mar 13,2012 8:58pm
raw music I never liked

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 9:00pm
What is an inverted minor chord? Sounds cool.

toggletoggle post by undercommon at Mar 13,2012 9:02pm
dyingmuse said[orig][quote]
Under produced, grim and cold metal with lots of inverted minor versus major chords, some one foot blasts perhaps? Singing about satan whilst wearing lots of corpse paint and bullet belts and spikes? Ummm, you could figure this all out on a youtube/google search. Are you in a "raw Black metal" band?

Stopped reading after under produced
Read the first post

toggletoggle post by trioxin_245  at Mar 13,2012 9:03pm
I would say 'raw' refers more to the style and structure of the songs as opposed to just the production. That is, generally speaking 'raw' means simple and aggressive, as opposed to symphonic or atmospheric.

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Mar 13,2012 9:04pm
trioxin_245 said[orig][quote]
I would say 'raw' refers more to the style and structure of the songs as opposed to just the production. That is, generally speaking 'raw' means simple and aggressive, as opposed to symphonic or atmospheric.

toggletoggle post by Chernobyl at Mar 13,2012 9:06pm

Agreed but i dont think it limits to just simple though, i think it can be whatever as long as its aggressive, yet it can still
Be technical ...some suffo riffs can remind me of this but usually not. In black metal

toggletoggle post by trioxin_245  at Mar 13,2012 9:10pm
Also it means that the black metal hasn't been cooked yet.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:10pm
Production is huge for the genre. There are raw symphonic bm bands as well.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Mar 13,2012 9:10pm

toggletoggle post by trioxin_245  at Mar 13,2012 9:11pm
I'm saying that you can be 'raw' black metal and have good production is all.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:11pm
Burnsy said[orig][quote]

Ha ha ha

kidding right?

toggletoggle post by Chernobyl at Mar 13,2012 9:11pm
I'm saying that you can be 'raw' black metal and have good production is all.

Yup

toggletoggle post by Chernobyl at Mar 13,2012 9:12pm
Raw riffs > raw production

toggletoggle post by josh_hates_you  at Mar 13,2012 9:12pm

toggletoggle post by Beleth  at Mar 13,2012 9:14pm
I'm so mad right now.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:16pm
Chernobyl said[orig][quote]
Raw riffs > raw production

Raw riff lol, really? Arent all riffs raw before adding other elements?

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Mar 13,2012 9:17pm

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Mar 13,2012 9:18pm
that is black metal.
"raw" 0r otherwise

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:19pm
Suppose you could post venom there too. About 400 other bands as well. poster said no bands specifically.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Mar 13,2012 9:25pm

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 9:25pm
Burnsy said[orig][quote]

Ha ha ha

kidding right?

Lol yeah just busting your balls dude. Though i'm no theory master, i'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:29pm
moving the root note for different voicings. You get a huge difference in effect by doing so. Like making the 5th the dominant note and the root the higher note or any other combo. Try it out if you havent man, you will be pleasantly surprised by the grimness \m/

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:30pm
KEVORD said[orig][quote]

Ha ha ha ha, you the man

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Mar 13,2012 9:32pm
[/threadwin]

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 9:38pm
moving the root note for different voicings. You get a huge difference in effect by doing so. Like making the 5th the dominant note and the root the higher note or any other combo. Try it out if you havent man, you will be pleasantly surprised by the grimness \m/

I get what your saying. I just don't know how that makes it an inverted minor. Sounds like you're messing around with intervals but not necessarily chords.

toggletoggle post by Chernobyl at Mar 13,2012 9:39pm
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
Burnsy said[orig][quote]

Ha ha ha

kidding right?

Lol yeah just busting your balls dude. Though i'm no theory master, i'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

I think hes referring to the power chord with the middle finger on the b string..correct me if im bro

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:40pm
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
Burnsy said[orig][quote]

Ha ha ha

kidding right?

I think hes referring to the power chord with the middle finger on the b string..correct me if im bro

Nope

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:43pm
There are many chord forms man, different voices to play. Also, depends on your tuning, if you are in E I think you just mean a full bar chord of whatever key you are in with the extra low 4th? That's not really an inversion, though as I said I don't know your tuning or what fret you are refering to

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 9:49pm
Any inversion of a chord is the relation of the notes of the chord. I mess around with all tons of different chords. I'm just pretty sure that raw black metal isn't about inversions of minor chords.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 13,2012 9:50pm
Carcass' Heartwork is raw black metal.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 9:56pm
yes, it is about inversions man, That is what makes black metal. Raw or not 99% of BM is inverted chords. Please name one without.

Im not talking about moving a chord up an octave. I am not giving a music lesson here, I'm just stating the facts. By all means, I am no fucking guitar god ha ha. I do however know after 25 years of playing guitar what an inversion is and what makes that black and errie blck metal sound on the guitar ha ha.

But to each his own and think what you want mr know it all ha ha ha.

heartwork is definitely BM ha ha ha

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 10:22pm
Far from a know it all, dude. Just engaging in a discussion. From personal experience, not the stuff I write, but from a lot of what I've heard in black metal, it doesn't get too tricky theory wise. A lot of black metal is power chords, minor thirds and riffs that keep the same form and raise or lower a half step, rinse and repeat. Also, the majority of black metal bands that DO play chords as opposed to just intervals in their music resort to minor bar chords. If they messed with more inversions, black metal would probably be a lot more interesting.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 10:29pm
The know it all comment was a joke ha ha, was kidding man.

What bands have you been listening to? Just about all Norwegian (satryicon, Ulver, DHG, Emperor) bands play mainly iverted chords and bar chords. The notes are the same as any minor chord, just the second of 3rd note in a chord may be the 1st so youd get like, so say you get 5 on the E 3 on the A and 2 on the D strings this is a stupid example but maybe you are over simplifying the meaning of inversions versus 1st position minor chords. Sometimes, bit more rare, they play tritones which I am a huge fan of.

toggletoggle post by undercommon at Mar 13,2012 10:52pm
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
Far from a know it all, dude. Just engaging in a discussion. From personal experience, not the stuff I write, but from a lot of what I've heard in black metal, it doesn't get too tricky theory wise. A lot of black metal is power chords, minor thirds and riffs that keep the same form and raise or lower a half step, rinse and repeat. Also, the majority of black metal bands that DO play chords as opposed to just intervals in their music resort to minor bar chords. If they messed with more inversions, black metal would probably be a lot more interesting.

You're listening to the wrong black metal bands

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 10:53pm edited Mar 13,2012 10:53pm
I'm describing the bands I don't listen to much. ;-)

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 11:04pm
I'm just saying most black metal bands either play the minor bar chords based on the E minor and A minor shapes in the open position or they play power chords, which aren't really chords. They are perfect fifths. A chord requires at least three notes.

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 11:07pm
Nope, not really. Like undercommon said, you are listening to the wrong bands. Post the bands you do listen to, and I'm sure there will be said chords that I/we can point out

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 11:14pm

bennyhillifier

My favorite BM band

toggletoggle post by dyingmuse   at Mar 13,2012 11:20pm

bennyhillifier

Here is a stupid video of inversions. The guy is a jerk off btw ha ha. It's literally the first one that came up

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 11:22pm
Darkthrone, Burzum. Both bands I can consider "raw black metal." They mostly just play intervals. Whatever, I'm bored. Time to go write shit that sounds like nuts and bolts being mixed in a blender.

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Mar 13,2012 11:27pm
Watch hockey, drink beer, get pussy and write ugly music. That is all that matters.

toggletoggle post by nekronautloggedin at Mar 13,2012 11:54pm
Keep on RAWkin in the free world.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Mar 14,2012 12:17am
Red Satan prefers it raw while Black Satan likes it a little more like "Aspera Hiems..."

toggletoggle post by gay guy at Mar 14,2012 12:26am

toggletoggle post by Chernobyl at Mar 14,2012 3:47am

bennyhillifier

My favorite BM band

I know what the inversion you are referring to and i use them all the time, however i have heard them referred to as triads I think

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at Mar 14,2012 7:34am

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 15,2012 7:45am
what is raw black metal? something you've probably never heard.

toggletoggle post by Thunderstool at Mar 15,2012 11:53am

bennyhillifier

My favorite BM band

I know what the inversion you are referring to and i use them all the time, however i have heard them referred to as triads I think
I thought the triads were some asian gang.

toggletoggle post by unchain_the_wolves at Mar 15,2012 4:58pm
Haxen, Veles, Cryfemal

toggletoggle post by Thunderstool at Mar 15,2012 5:21pm
The only raw black metal I'm familiar with is the black steel dildo I keep in my freezer for those lonely nights.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][1:31:33am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.02037 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]