New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Parents, how do you trick your kids into liking metal? by the_reverend on Jan 25,2012 9:25am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 25,2012 9:25am
I got my sprout listening to metal by saying "When we listen to metal, we eat cheese" So when we listen to metal, I give him cheetos.

Last night (he's only 26 months old), he kept bugging me to listen to metal. My iPod only synched up random C-named bands, but I had him listen to cephalic carnage. Of course when I came back, a cradle of filth track was playing, but I think I found my in.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Jan 25,2012 9:35am
When are you gonna start listening to metal?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 9:36am
Trick? I don't trick him. Trolling kids is inappropriate.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jan 25,2012 9:42am
my daughter's favorite song is neon knights. she wants to listen to it every time we're in the car.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 9:42am
Start them off with power metal. That's my plan, at least. Teaches good values lol

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Jan 25,2012 9:45am
I went to a Duck Duck Goose game and a Cradle of Filth show broke out.

toggletoggle post by JDDomination   at Jan 25,2012 9:48am
Beat them when anything but metal is playing

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 9:52am edited Jan 25,2012 9:53am
I started him out on classical music and movie themes. He first got into Star Wars (he's obsessed now) because of the music I showed him. Granted, I only see him on weekends now so my musical input is limited. He doesn't quite understand black metal yet, so I'm holding off on that for now. I generally play atmospheric stuff now, like Kauan and Dark Sanctuary. Every now and then I toss in some thrash.
Keep in my I don't want to force anything on him, because he should decide what he likes.
His favorite bands right now are Doomriders and The Black Keys (not my doing) and I told him not to be a hipster and he asked what that was. LOL

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 9:57am
hahahaha

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 25,2012 10:13am
Frequent trips to uncle dwyer's house...

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 25,2012 10:16am
Alx_Casket said[orig][quote]
Start them off with power metal. That's my plan, at least. Teaches good values lol
great idea. They are going to have to know how to fight off ice dragons sooner or later. I might finally have a use for my large collection of blind guardian.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 10:19am edited Jan 25,2012 10:19am
Have him watch you play Skyrim while he listens to the music, and teach him to yell Thu'um! whenever he sees a baddie.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 10:21am
Forcing music on your kid is like forcing religion down their throat. DO NOT SUPPORT

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 10:22am
I somewhat agree. Which is why I'm going to have my child use last.fm to discover music on his own, based on what his like-minded toddler friends enjoy.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 10:25am
I play stuff. If he likes it, awesome. If not, so be it.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 10:27am
When my kid is older and understands more about stuff, hell yea. But young kids are bound to like anything they listen to. My kid hates reggae for some odd reason, though. He has musical skill, so I'm trying to keep his mind open.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 10:28am
Force him to practice piano for 7 hours a day.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 25,2012 10:31am
His new thing is getting on youtube on the iphone. clicks through things and searches. ridiculous. Especially when momma says "I don't want you clicking around" and then I look and the suggested videos for his humpty dumpty search are all about girls getting hot and heavy.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jan 25,2012 10:33am
I would advise going the traditional route of forcing him to listen to radio bullshit his entire childhood, throwing out his Guns N Roses and Naughty By Nature tapes, and letting his cousin introduce him to Sepultura Beneath the Remains somewhere around age 13.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Jan 25,2012 10:33am
More importantly, when are you getting him his first rifle?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 10:35am
^niiice

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Jan 25,2012 10:38am
xmikex said[orig][quote]
I would advise going the traditional route of forcing him to listen to radio bullshit his entire childhood, throwing out his Guns N Roses and Naughty By Nature tapes, and letting his cousin introduce him to Sepultura Beneath the Remains somewhere around age 13.

You're describing me, only without the cousin/brother/etc. feeding the metal to me, I found it on my own, being an only child and all.

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 10:39am
Sad. Metal is either in the blood, or it isn't. It is a personal awakening into a world of fighting denouncing the oppressive forces our fathers and their fathers before them tried to pass onto us.

To try to pass the values of metal onto an offspring by force is the very thing that metal is supposed to rebel against.

I hope your kids rebel and listen to Phish when they grow into adolescent and resent your trying to brainwash them, morons.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 10:43am

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 10:50am
Exactly, Mano. If he wants to listen to metal, I won't force it on him. I only expose metal, among other types of music.
In b4 I'm accused of being you again.

toggletoggle post by posbleak   at Jan 25,2012 10:52am
Just do what my dad did and dump all your hair metal tapes on him when he gets sick of listening to A Whole New World on loop. Then get ready for his mom to get pissed that their kindergartner is running around the playground singing Kickstart My Heart

Alternately, hide all of your vinyl in the basement and let him discover a crate full of Pentagram around age 11.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 25,2012 10:53am
I loved that contest.

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 10:53am
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
Exactly, Mano. If he wants to listen to metal, I won't force it on him. I only expose metal, among other types of music.

Despite your dubious tastes, you tend to be one of the few people who has repeatedly displayed the values that metal is supposed to be about. I can respect that, if perhaps not your tastes.

Freedom, individuality, and choice are central to the ideals of metal. Forcing metal onto your children undermines these two core values, and makes you an idiot.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 25,2012 10:54am
I got him singing queen. it's a beginning.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 10:57am
Manowarrior said[orig][quote]

Freedom, individuality, and choice are central to the ideals of metal.

And I'm Margaret Thatcher.

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 10:59am

Freedom, individuality, and choice are central to the ideals of metal.

And I'm Margaret Thatcher.

Hey, not everyone who claims to be into "metal" is going to understand this or live their lives according to the actual values that the metal culture has cultivated since its inception.

Just makes you another poser, not Margaret Thatcher.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 10:59am
Mano, I do indeed have some dubious tastes now.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 11:01am
I'm sorry, but your posts have been anything but inspirational of those three things. You're a falsehood.

toggletoggle post by Josh_Martin at Jan 25,2012 11:01am
I'm too drunk (and also at work) to read through this thread.

You don't trick 'em. They're either gay or they're not.

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 11:07am
I'm sorry, but your posts have been anything but inspirational of those three things. You're a falsehood.

Only from your narrow view, which is hopelessly tainted by what is hip and accepted.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jan 25,2012 11:08am
Only hip metal is real.

toggletoggle post by ark at Jan 25,2012 11:10am
sounds like manowarrior has some unresolved issues with his father.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 25,2012 11:11am
I bet he has a mediocre gun rack.

toggletoggle post by punk potenza at Jan 25,2012 11:28am
Josh_Martin said[orig][quote]
I'm too drunk (and also at work) to read through this thread.

You don't trick 'em. They're either gay or they're not.

true. though josh my dad DID tell me bout AC back in the day......

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 1:24pm
ark said[orig][quote]
sounds like manowarrior has some unresolved issues with his father.

Indeed, he died before I had the pleasure of wringing the life from him with my own two hands.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Jan 25,2012 1:25pm
ya i bet that happened.

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 1:28pm
No, it didn't happen, thus the unresolved issue.

If it had happened, it would be resolved now, wouldn't it genius?

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jan 25,2012 3:14pm
^ ITT: Manowarrior is Luke Skywalker

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jan 25,2012 3:18pm
LOL

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Jan 25,2012 3:44pm

toggletoggle post by Manowarrior at Jan 25,2012 4:14pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

You really are fucking dumb, Luke didn't even kill his father.

I believe in a truly civilized society, every son should have the opportunity to kill his own father. Firstly, as a means of controlling population, secondly, as a test of his manhood and fitness as a human being.

Someday I hope we evolve that far, obviously you backwoods lot will never make it.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jan 25,2012 4:15pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]

You really are fucking dumb, I didn't even kill my father, since I'm Luke Skywalker. So, actually, good show. I retract any and all criticisms.

toggletoggle post by xgodzillax  at Jan 25,2012 5:29pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]

I grew up with an older sister who loved everything madonna, and NWA. my dad bought me the Black Sabbath s/t cassette when I was 7. my mom found it and said I couldnt have it back until I was 18, so I stole my sisters "straight outta compton" tape. my mom did not like that either, so music was taken away from me. my dad bought me master of puppets and ride the lightning on tape just to spite my mother.

toggletoggle post by Thundersteel  at Jan 25,2012 9:55pm
Funny thing is, parents back in the 80s wanted their kids to NOT be into metal. My how the times have changed!

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Jan 25,2012 10:30pm
If you have a daughter, mangle one of her hands and give her tremendous inadequacies about being a girl in metal. Then she'll namedrop Graveland and amass a large picture lp collection.

toggletoggle post by t2daeek  at Jan 25,2012 11:07pm
don't train your kid like a dog. that cheese shit i just read is retarded. like full on retarded.
getting into liking metal is supposed to be part of adolescent rebellion. unless you're cool with this whole attack attack radio disney bag of dicks-core shit we have now.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jan 26,2012 12:20am
I just watched Avantasia.The.Flying.Opera.Around.The.World.In.Twenty.Days.2011.1080p with my guitarist (the only other person I know who likes that band as much as I do), and I feel like a kid again.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at Jan 26,2012 12:44am
Thundersteel said[orig][quote]
Funny thing is, parents back in the 80s wanted their kids to NOT be into metal. My how the times have changed!

Most parents still don't want their kids getting into metal. I think extrapolating one thread on the whole internet over the entire population of parents is probably foolhardy.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jan 26,2012 1:31am
^ implying rttp isn't representative of the population as a whole

toggletoggle post by Marsh nli at Jan 26,2012 1:51am
Hard rock is chill

toggletoggle post by search feature troll at Jan 26,2012 2:45am
tricking your children into liking metal by telling them it has candy and will take you to disney world in order to deter would be kidnappers from forcing their will on children since they will no longer believe candy and disney world trips come from a person, but a genre of music while you finger your pisshole in front of your cats who are in heat and acting rather suspicious in such a way that they may find your secret stash of cocaine laced with psychedelic bread mold

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jan 26,2012 2:59am
NSBM OR GENDERFUCK PROGENY

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jan 26,2012 8:08am
xgodzillax said[orig][quote]
xmikex said[orig][quote]

I grew up with an older sister who loved everything madonna, and NWA. my dad bought me the Black Sabbath s/t cassette when I was 7. my mom found it and said I couldnt have it back until I was 18, so I stole my sisters "straight outta compton" tape. my mom did not like that either, so music was taken away from me. my dad bought me master of puppets and ride the lightning on tape just to spite my mother.

hahaha this is almost exactly how it was for me. my older sister was into the same stuff, and my parents wouldn't allow me to listen to "Doggystyle". so a friend gave me a copy of Master of Puppets, but they didn't have a problem with that since it didn't have any "bad language". or so they thought.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jan 26,2012 8:13am

Despite your dubious tastes, you tend to be one of the few people who has repeatedly displayed the values that metal is supposed to be about. I can respect that, if perhaps not your tastes.

Freedom, individuality, and choice are central to the ideals of metal. Forcing metal onto your children undermines these two core values, and makes you an idiot.

some of your rantings and ravings about the core values of metal are a bit obnoxious, however i am an elitist and do agree with most of them. this in particular is one of them. my girls son is 9, but i'm not going to make him choose what he wants to listen to. i have metal playing in my house regularly, if he chooses to pay attention to it, great, if not, that is his choice and i'm not going to "trick" him or "convert" him.

however the other day i was listening to Twilight of the Thunder God, and he was playing with Legos in the same room. i heard him mutter under his breath "yeah, that's cool, your destiny awaaaits".

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Feb 9,2012 8:46am
Ostelio likes Nu Metal.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Feb 9,2012 8:53am
Ostelio likes Nu Metal.
Facebook says so

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Feb 9,2012 9:00am
ostelio also says so... oh well, maybe I can get him to learn history instead. First off, the movie 10,000BC.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Feb 9,2012 9:30am
then, apocalypto and braveheart.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Feb 9,2012 9:31am
Why don't you show him the future while you're at it.....MOTHERFUCKING 2012

INVINCIBLE JOHN CUSACK IS INVINCIBLE....and lame

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at Feb 9,2012 9:32am
Then the patriot and world trade center. All in a days work.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Feb 9,2012 11:16am
back to the future, history of the world, and bill &ted are all you need

toggletoggle post by Ostelio NLI at Feb 14,2012 8:45am
Papa, can I have php training while listening to The Sword?

toggletoggle post by DukeManjunk at Feb 14,2012 8:57am
only steel panther is real

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by yummy at Feb 14,2012 2:08pm
I didn't have to trick him. I just play the music I like. He doesn't consider it to be music for outsiders just that nobody in his class knows who Ministry is except him. He does like some stuff I hate but I think that's how it goes.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:twy again, dis time wid feewing
[default homepage] [print][5:27:37am Apr 20,2024
load time 0.02767 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]