New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music by the_reverend on Dec 6,2011 8:47am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Dec 6,2011 8:47am
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremel...sappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

I've thought about this a lot.. the handrix one is the one that kills me.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Dec 6,2011 8:51am
Handrix was AWESOME. Better than the Thing.

toggletoggle post by CurlyRed at Dec 6,2011 8:53am
lol @ number 12

toggletoggle post by arktourO‘s at Dec 6,2011 9:07am
in pretty much every point, the market was bigger (barbara streisand) or digital sales (katy perry) or both. there are far more rednecks buying billy ray cyrus records than college students buying bob marley records.

creed vs. jimi hendrix... creed has easier music, a bigger market, still plays arena shows, all in the age of digital music.

are they just talking about US sales? either way none of these are that surprising. i mean we'd all like to think queen has more universal appeal than celine dion but that's just not true.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Dec 6,2011 9:09am
RIP Jimmie Handrix. Chartreuse Haze Forevar!!

And Dan posted this on FB last night. LOL @ somebody somewhere trying to stand up for REM as the antithesis of pop music. Yeah right.

toggletoggle post by Mark_R at Dec 6,2011 10:07am
Ugh...that list is full of negative surprises. And images I didn't want to look at.

Here's one thing that may play a small role in record sales vs. size of fandom, it's probably a small part but may be worth considering. I mean simply that for a lot of those old-timer bands, the new (current) generation of listeners didn't have to buy them because they inherited the albums from their parents. I have plenty of records from my parents that are still very playable and sound fine, so I've never had to buy them again. Someone who had some Hendrix or Queen records (or cassettes) passed to them from their dad wouldn't have to buy it even if they did want to go digital since they can download. So the pace of sales of those bands has fallen more dramatically than the real listener base.

That said, it still says a lot that the facts on that list are true. I just think the gap is a little exaggerated when measured by sales rather than how many people are actually listening.

Finally, I feel like a lot of those bad-album-that-outsold-good-classic examples may have been through those Columbia House music club things where they send you a CD you don't want. Not sure if that sales avenue is included in these counts. God this was a stupidly long post.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Dec 6,2011 10:44am
if The Beatles existed now, they would be hipsters.

toggletoggle post by Ancient_Master  at Dec 6,2011 10:52am
they were...except it was called mods back then

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:spell something wrong or you=narc
[default homepage] [print][6:45:25am Apr 25,2024
load time 0.01486 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]