New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> GWAR Guitarist Cory Smoot(aka Flattus Maximum) Found dead by the_reverend on Nov 3,2011 4:13pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 3,2011 4:13pm edited Nov 3,2011 4:15pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
It is with a sense of profound loss and tragedy that the members of GWAR must announce the passing of their long time guitarist and beloved friend Cory Smoot, also known to thousands of metal fans worldwide as Flattus Maximus. Cory was found deceased this morning as the band prepared for a border crossing. There is no word as to the cause of death and the members of GWAR are completely shocked and devastated that this has occurred. At this point there is no word on arrangements and the disposition of the remainder of GWAR’s current North American tour, nor are there any details regarding long term plans. At this point we are just dealing with the loss of our dear friend and brother, one of the most talented guitar players in metal today. We ask that our fans and the media be respectful of our request for privacy for those that have suffered this terrible loss. A full statement will be coming in the next day or so, in the meantime please give your thoughts and your prayers to Cory, his family, and all the people that love him.

-Dave Brockie-

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/break...oot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/
Informational and Related Links
Bands:

Gwar

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 3,2011 4:13pm
Reeeeeeeee....

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 3,2011 4:13pm

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Nov 3,2011 4:14pm
not marked news, missing band's name. missing his name = bad thread.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 3,2011 4:15pm
lol @ spite reposting.

YOUR ARRESTED

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Nov 3,2011 4:28pm
rev just incited reposting of any topic that he misspells.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Nov 3,2011 4:36pm
Alx_Casket said[orig][quote]
rev just incited reposting of any topic.

toggletoggle post by Pires at Nov 3,2011 4:42pm edited Nov 3,2011 4:44pm
If you said Cory smoot died, a lot of people would have no idea who the fuck that was. Mention flattus Maximus, and they'll know who that is. Your theory is broken rev.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Nov 3,2011 4:43pm
You're theory is arrested

toggletoggle post by Pires at Nov 3,2011 4:44pm
Alx_Casket said[orig][quote]
You're theory is arrested

Damn autocorrect. I fixed it. Shut YOURE face.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 3,2011 4:46pm
LOL CNN posts this as news instead of Gwar death.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20542307,00.html?hpt=hp_t2

toggletoggle post by blue  at Nov 3,2011 5:01pm
i have never ever ever ever given a flying fuck about gwar, but im sure dude didnt deserve this in the slightest. at least he went out touring.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Nov 3,2011 5:22pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]
lol @ spite reposting.

YOUR ARRESTED
If he wants to waste resources on his own server, that's his perogative

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Nov 3,2011 5:26pm

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Nov 3,2011 5:33pm
woooooooooooord

toggletoggle post by Seth at Nov 3,2011 8:58pm
Here is some of the same news but maybe more. I just read it quickly. http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=680505

toggletoggle post by demondave at Nov 3,2011 10:18pm

Here's what blabbermouth has to say. Pretty profound:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=165605

toggletoggle post by Lamp nli at Nov 4,2011 1:52am
Seth said[orig][quote]
Here is some of the same news but maybe more. I just read it quickly. http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=680505

Ahhhh, the juxtaposition of those links under the article made me think for a second that GWAR was going to be the new Monday Night Football music. That would have ruled!

toggletoggle post by nekronautloggedin at Nov 4,2011 4:13pm
After a restless night spent hurtling through the desolate Canadian wilderness, I crawled from my bunk on the tour bus to face reality, grudgingly aware that the the dark dream that gripped us would not fade with the day. We have lost a brother, a husband, a son, and one of the most talented musicians that ever slung an ax. Cory Smoot, longtime lead guitar player for the band GWAR, has passed at the age of 34.

As the singer of GWAR and one of his best friends, I feel it is my duty to try and answer some of the questions that surround his tragic and untimely death. I know the sense of loss and pain is far greater in scope than in the insulated environment of a band on tour, and I will do my best to provide what clarity and comfort I can.

The most glaring question is how? And unfortunately that is the hardest question to answer. The truth will not be known until the medical officials have finished their work. All I can do is relate what we saw with our own eyes.

The last time I saw Cory was after our show in Minneapolis on Weds. night. It was a great show at First Avenue in Minneapolis, one of our favorite places to play. Cory was happy. He was excited about the band and especially the new studio he was building in the Slave Pit back in Richmond. He was deeply in love with his wife, Jamie, and was busily planning their family and future in the beautiful home they had. As usual, after some autographs and banter, I was probably the first person in their bunk as we got ready for a big drive into Canada, and Cory and the rest of the guys were not far behind. As I fell into the slumber that only playing GWAR shows can induce, everything seemed right in the world.

We found Cory the next morning as we collected passports for a border crossing. He was in his bunk, unresponsive, and it quickly was clear that he was dead. It was without a doubt the most horrible moment of my life. That’s all I can say about it.

Within moments everybody was off the bus, standing in a wind-swept parking lot in the middle of nowhere, trying to come to grips with the shock of it. First the ambulance arrived, and then the police, but there was nothing that could be done other than fully investigate the scene and remove Cory with care and respect.

We are completely devastated and shocked beyond belief. One night we had our friend and colleague, happy and healthy in the middle of our best tour in years- and the next morning, so suddenly, he was gone. Never have I seen starker proof of the fragility of life.

Cory will be transported home to Richmond over the next few days, and an announcement regarding services will be made soon. We ask everyone to respect the families wish for privacy, and especially to keep his wife, Jamie, in your thoughts and prayers.

As we work our way through these difficult days the question is — what will GWAR do? After a lot of consideration, we have decided to carry on with the tour. Although the great temptation would be to return home, curl into a fetal position, and mourn, we can’t do that. First off, Cory wouldn’t want that. He would want us to go on and would be pissed if we didn’t. Plus we know the fans don’t want us to quit. They are going to want a chance to come to grips with their loss, and there is no better place to do that than at a GWAR show. Though it’s hard to believe, I think we all would feel a lot worse if we stopped. For better or worse we have to see this through.

That doesn’t mean that Cory will make his final journey without us. When the arrangements have been finalized, Cory’s best friend and GWAR’s music tech Dave “Gibby” Gibson, and myself will return home to attend the services and pay the proper respects to our comrade.

Out of respect to Cory, we have officially retired the character of Flattus Maximus. Flattus has decided to return to his beloved “Planet Home”, and will never return to this mudball planet again. And this is a sadder place for that.

Just the other day I heard Cory tell a story about how some 20 years ago he was fourteen years old, at his first GWAR show, grabbing at the rubber feet of our then- current Flattus, and how blown away he was at the fact that now HE was the one getting his feet pulled by the same kid that he used to be. Cory was always in awe of the patterns of life and went through it with a wide-eyed amazement that translated through his playing. I’ve never known anyone who could pick up literally any instrument and rock it the first time he touched it, and more than that make it look easy. Behind that rubber monster outfit, and sometimes even obscured by it, was one of the most talented and beautiful people I have ever known. I know everyone who’s life was touched by Cory truly loved him, as do we, his bandmates and brothers.

There should be some kind of announcement soon regarding services, etc. It would be great to have a memorial show at some point soon, where some of the bands that Cory worked with could come together and show their love for this truly amazing man who left us all too soon and will be sorely missed by many, many people.

Dave Brockie, Nov. 4, 2011

http://www.gwar.net/news/the-passing-of-gu...rist-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus

Last show of the tour is in Hartford, CT on November 27th, I'll be there.

toggletoggle post by ThrilliVanilli at Nov 4,2011 4:23pm
Pires is a cop

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Nov 4,2011 10:08pm
A friend of mine just told me apparently the last show of the tour is at Toad's Place, not in Hartford.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Nov 4,2011 10:10pm edited Nov 4,2011 10:10pm
I hope they finish the tour. I'm thinking about going to that Ct. date.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Nov 4,2011 10:13pm
They are supposed to finish the tour. I can't make it to that show though.

toggletoggle post by Big bag of assorted nigger parts at Nov 5,2011 2:00am
Dude was 34, WTF

toggletoggle post by Death_Metal_Jim at Nov 5,2011 11:20am
im glad they're retiring the Flattus character. he was my favorite flattus. since he joined in 02 i always said how sick i thought the new Flattus was. great guitarist. been listenin to them for 20 years.GWAR fuckin rules. I will continue to drink and listen to the last 4 albums all week. RIP bud.

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Nov 5,2011 11:22am
Lamp said[orig][quote]
A friend of mine just told me apparently the last show of the tour is at Toad's Place, not in Hartford.

My bad, don't know shit about CT. Either way, I will be there.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Nov 5,2011 12:59pm
§ardus will rise

toggletoggle post by Foghorn   at Nov 10,2011 4:11pm
Sad news. Gwar is a fun bunch of dudes.

toggletoggle post by Pires at Dec 6,2011 11:51am edited Dec 6,2011 11:52am
Official press release:

The Smoot family and Slave Pit Inc. released a statement regarding the official cause of death of Gwar guitarist Cory Smoot. Cory had played the character of Flattus Maximus for over ten years, and was discovered dead on the band's tour bus on Nov. 3rd of this year. He was 34.

Stated North Dakota coroner William Masselo, MD:

"We have finalized the autopsy report and death certificate. I have determined that Cory died from a coronary artery thrombosis brought about by his pre-existing coronary artery disease."

The band, which will continue as a four-piece until the current tour schedule is complete, has officially retired the character of Flattus Maximus, and has announced no plans regarding a new GWAR-tarist.

Metal Blade and GWAR have since set-up the Smoot Family Foundation to raise funds for Cory's wife, Jaime, and their unborn child. Donations can be made here. Also, at The Canal Club in Richmond, Va. on January 7th there will be a record release show (featuring Mensrea, Cannabis Corpse, DBX and more) for Cory's solo record, "When Worlds Collide," which he had completed working on just prior to his death. The album will be released early next year, with all proceeds going to the Smoot Family Fund.

Donations:
http://www.metalblade.com/smootfamilyfund/

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are signing your life away
[default homepage] [print][7:31:20am Apr 24,2024
load time 0.01759 secs/16 queries]
[search][refresh page]