New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> any suggestions for new Head/Cabinet? by Otto/Wormdr1v3 on Jun 4,2004 10:51am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by Otto/Wormdr1v3  at Jun 4,2004 10:51am
I want to buy a new half stack. I like to get somethign that is an all tube head . I was looking at the 5150 II series head with Cab, but also the Mesa/Boogie triple rectifier, and that new Marshal that's 360 watts or something. Does anybody know anything about these, which one is better, has more out put? I lOVE amp distrotion so that is one factor, but overall tone and good clean sounds are important too, as well as features, are other facors.
If you know any other half stacks I should try , let me know. thanks

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Jun 4,2004 10:59am edited Jun 4,2004 11:01am
i read some reviews for the mode 4 marshall 350 watt head, it's a hybrid, solid state with a preamp ecc83 tube for each channel. al goratory told me to check it out. I haven't tried one yet, but the reviews I read on it were not very good.

I personally think ALL tube sound is far superior in sound. Sure, the mode 4 has preamp tubes, but it's still not all tube. I still want to try one out... I'll be paying attn to the sound of the mode 4 at goratory's show tomorrow.

I'd say go with a mesa, 5150, or a marshall tube head at this time.

btw, i'm playing a jcm 2000 dsl 100 w/ OEI OT, with a noise suppressor, and 7-band eq through the loop. emg 81 pickup.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Jun 4,2004 11:02am
all rack shit is sorta pointless if you don't know what to get.

toggletoggle post by handinjury at Jun 4,2004 11:11am
Rusted, do you run that noise suppressor between your guitar and amp or in the effects loop? I was thinking of getting one those boss pedals.

toggletoggle post by handinjury at Jun 4,2004 11:15am
Otto/Wormdr1v3 said:
I want to buy a new half stack. I like to get somethign that is an all tube head . I was looking at the 5150 II series head with Cab, but also the Mesa/Boogie triple rectifier, and that new Marshal that's 360 watts or something. Does anybody know anything about these, which one is better, has more out put? I lOVE amp distrotion so that is one factor, but overall tone and good clean sounds are important too, as well as features, are other facors.
If you know any other half stacks I should try , let me know. thanks

I would not waste money on the triple recto, unless you have the cash. I have a single recto and the other guitarist in the band has a triple. I havent turned my volume knobs past 11 o'clock.
If you have lots of cash check out a VHT pitbull(50 &100 watt models), thats a really killer head for extreme metal.

toggletoggle post by blue  at Jun 4,2004 11:15am
boss ge-7 + ns-2 through + effects loop of any all tube head = total destruction.

if youre looking for a good clean sound, i dont really think the 5150s are up your alley. try looking at the new peavey jsx head. ive heard great things about the clean (based on the peavey classic 30) and the high gain (based on the triple xxx i think), not to mention a built in effects loop.

note: consider a line 6 head as well. =)

toggletoggle post by Otto/Wormdr1v3  at Jun 4,2004 11:30am
I've been wondering about the Line 6 head, are they really good? I'm a little weary of all the digital stuff, (ironic since I play in a band consisting of all digital drums and loops, ;)
and Killer distortion is my main focus right now.
I'm really curious about the 51050 II. I had a first edition 51050 and it rocked, but the clean tone was terrbile, I had to use a totally different amp. I guess the second edition has better clean tone but i don't know if it was at the expense of the killer drive the first one had.

toggletoggle post by RustedAngel at Jun 4,2004 11:34am
blue said:
boss ge-7 + ns-2 through + effects loop of any all tube head = total destruction.

blue just listed my setup. the NS-2 has been pretty helpful, though when I'm cranked I still get a bit of feedback if I'm facing towards the head. I think it's an EQ issue though. The controls on it are very touchy and it seems you need to have everything at max for it to work well.

i wouldn't consider a line 6 unless maybe the VETTA expensive head.

if you want a good clean sound as well as distortion my dsl has both though I never really use the clean channel, it is one of the best on the market.

toggletoggle post by silky  at Jun 4,2004 5:08pm
I have the new ibanez tone blaster, and it's distortion and definition are unmatched.

toggletoggle post by The_ExhumeD  at Jun 4,2004 5:53pm
my other guitarist plays a veta head into a marshall 1960a cab, I guess it rocks the house I think it has 15 or more different amp models and you can mix two amp models at once. Im not a big fan of line six gear.

If your looking at the mesas - well in my opinion the dual rectifier has a better sound a little more distortion, its not as loud as the triple but it definately gets the job done, I might as well say I think mesas over-rated becuase they are

The 5150/5150II - Ive been thinking about getting a 5150 and am just an arm lengths away from buying myself one. I really like the distortion qaulity and the shape. It seems like when I was playing on a mesa it took forever to find a happy tonal medium. With the 5150s it was different I jammed on a friends head for about an hour and was totally into its sound.

my current setup - trace elliot grp3 triple valve tube amp. onboard noise gate and built in effects loop, 16 multi effects. I also use a roctron hush 2 to quiet things even more so - Im not a big fan of the gain on the head because it is way too bassey so I use a metal zone with the crunch channel and clean channel mixed, It sounds good running into 2 beringher ultrastacks. Soon to be traded for a marshall 1960 cab

toggletoggle post by jesus  at Jun 4,2004 6:01pm
keep your tubes
i still like my 300 watt cyclone with built in 9band eq
for under a grand

toggletoggle post by My_Dying_Bride at Jun 4,2004 6:10pm
Otto/Wormdr1v3 said:
I've been wondering about the Line 6 head, are they really good? I'm a little weary of all the digital stuff, (ironic since I play in a band consisting of all digital drums and loops, ;)
and Killer distortion is my main focus right now.
I'm really curious about the 51050 II. I had a first edition 51050 and it rocked, but the clean tone was terrbile, I had to use a totally different amp. I guess the second edition has better clean tone but i don't know if it was at the expense of the killer drive the first one had.

you do get more gain supposedly from the original 5150s although if you were to ever use it for clean stuff, the 5150 II has it beat. I also think the power tubes in the Originals are a little different mod wise. As soon as i get some cash up im gettin myself a 5150.\m/

btw, EVH IN 15 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toggletoggle post by hoser at Jun 4,2004 6:32pm
Mesa Triple Rec and a Marshall 1960A Slant

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][10:08:35am Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01852 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]