New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Which /r/tard was going to school to make video games? by bobnomaamrooney on Aug 18,2011 5:03pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Aug 18,2011 5:03pm

bennyhillifier

bobnomaamrooney said[orig][quote]
As much enjoyment as I've got out of the series (I tend to think of it as a really well written interactive SF movie) it just emphasizes that a SF RPG with ME's scope and Oblivion/Fallout's open ended design would be incredible.

AndrewBastard said[orig][quote]
I agree 100%

I want a Star Wars game done oblivion/fallout style (graphically speaking and payability / totally open) but imagine having multiple planets/galaxies you can fly to and explore and each planet has a whole new map / missions/quests etc to do...

I mean the game would be HUGE but it'd be fucking epic.

bobnomaamrooney said[orig][quote]
Basically I want to be able to rp an interstellar assassin or even just be a nirnroot collecting botanist fag if I wanted to.

I don't care if it uses 3D graphics that look like shit or 2D overhead perspective, it doesn't even have to be a Star Wars game just make our dreams of an open galaxy spacefaring rpg reality.

inb4thisguy

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Aug 18,2011 5:23pm
Joe Christianni

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Aug 18,2011 5:26pm
isnt eve online like that

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 18,2011 5:26pm
Huh.

toggletoggle post by sxealex   at Aug 18,2011 5:27pm
"Eve Online is a video game by CCP Games. It is a player-driven persistent-world MMORPG set in a science fiction space setting. Players pilot customisable ships through a galaxy comprising over 7,500 star systems.[1][2] Most star systems are connected to one or more other star systems by means of stargates. The star systems can contain several phenomena including moons, planets, stations, wormholes, asteroid belts and complexes.

Players of Eve Online are able to participate in a number of in-game professions and activities, including mining, piracy, manufacturing, trading, exploration and combat (both player versus environment and player versus player). The range of activities available to the player is facilitated by a character advancement system based upon training skills in real time, even while not logged into the game.[3]"

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAGG NLI at Aug 18,2011 5:33pm
You are unable to explore planets in EVE, never mind leave the ship. Still a cool game regardless.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 18,2011 5:35pm
sxealex said[orig][quote]
"Eve Online is a video game by CCP Games. It is a player-driven persistent-world MMORPG set in a science fiction space setting. Players pilot customisable ships through a galaxy comprising over 7,500 star systems.[1][2] Most star systems are connected to one or more other star systems by means of stargates. The star systems can contain several phenomena including moons, planets, stations, wormholes, asteroid belts and complexes.

Players of Eve Online are able to participate in a number of in-game professions and activities, including mining, piracy, manufacturing, trading, exploration and combat (both player versus environment and player versus player). The range of activities available to the player is facilitated by a character advancement system based upon training skills in real time, even while not logged into the game.[3]"

holy shit that sounds fuckin awesome

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAGG NLI at Aug 18,2011 5:41pm
It's awesome if you like spreadsheets.

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAGG NLI at Aug 18,2011 5:41pm
And never leaving your ship.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Aug 18,2011 5:43pm
oh. no i dont like those things :(

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Aug 18,2011 5:43pm
Friend of a friend owns a space station in EVE and rakes in $200,000/year off of microtransactions on board, game is insane. But yeah I'm more into singleplayer and want planetary exploration.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 18,2011 5:52pm
Traveller could do this.

Huh...

My interests definitely tend towards the sandbox, and - barring a huge development company at my beck and call - I tend to lean towards sacrificing graphics for expansiveness, in my ideas. But this would definitely be an interesting project.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Wars

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Aug 18,2011 5:52pm
yea because DYA would be able to make all that by himeself

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 18,2011 5:53pm
And, apparently: http://www.tradewarsrising.com/?page=screenshot

Still not really what you're looking for, but, damn.

toggletoggle post by ark at Aug 18,2011 6:04pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
Traveller could do this.
yeah, the game is there, it's just the manpower and time to fill the gameworldgalaxy with that's the problem.

toggletoggle post by LucidCurse at Aug 18,2011 6:05pm
SLAAAAGG%20NLI said[orig][quote]
It's awesome if you like spreadsheets.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 18,2011 7:24pm
ark said[orig][quote]
Traveller could do this.
yeah, the game is there, it's just the manpower and time to fill the gameworldgalaxy with that's the problem.

ALGORITHMS, MY FRIEND. ALGORITHMS. Old-school RPGs are full of them, they're called "tables". You can do a LOT with some dry random table output and a tiny bit of skullsweat fitting it all together. Hang a few subtables on the Traveller system generation matrix, you've got yourself a galaxy. It just depends on how tightly you wanna focus.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Aug 18,2011 8:06pm
If this is a far off possibility I'd be down to write questlines, dialog and lore. Job gives me plenty of downtime when class isn't in session.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 18,2011 8:08pm
It wouldn't even remotely happen until I was out of school (the end of the year), but this is something I would be interested in at least pecking away at. Lotta the code would be stuff I'd be writing for my other pet projects, anyway.

toggletoggle post by Arist nli at Aug 19,2011 11:30am
I play EVE Online and it's probably the hardest MMO ever made in existence... Seriously the level of complexity in building your ships, manufacturing, corporations, exploration and everything is astounding. The game is run by the players and is full of Corporate espionage and backstabbing among everyone.........some of the best drama to come out of the internet. If you don't feel like being a safe carebear, you could be a pirate in nullsec space and go around ransoming people for money so you don't blow up their ship.

It's really not a spreadsheet game, the graphics are nice and been improved

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAG NLI at Aug 19,2011 12:00pm
I will agree with you sir. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I played it during 14 day trial..... too much so. Not for the light-hearted.

toggletoggle post by ark at Aug 19,2011 12:15pm
ark said[orig][quote]
Traveller could do this.

ALGORITHMS, MY FRIEND. ALGORITHMS. Old-school RPGs are full of them, they're called "tables". You can do a LOT with some dry random table output and a tiny bit of skullsweat fitting it all together. Hang a few subtables on the Traveller system generation matrix, you've got yourself a galaxy. It just depends on how tightly you wanna focus.

Well yeah but to make it more than a bunch of pseudorandom tiles, you need a lot of writing and content!

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 19,2011 12:39pm
ark said[orig][quote]
ark said[orig][quote]
Traveller could do this.

Well yeah but to make it more than a bunch of pseudorandom tiles, you need a lot of writing and content!

Pfft - robust enough generation routines don't NEED writing. (ROADS?!? WHERE WE'RE GOING, etc.) See, Dwarf Fortress adventure mode. Dudes sitting around writing Fedex quests is a total waste of manpower.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Aug 19,2011 12:49pm
[QUOTE="DestroyYouAlot:1230637"
Pfft - robust enough generation routines don't NEED writing.

We are at odds. We seem to be at odds. Generation routines are a great tool in the box but don't do much to add a sense of mystery to the game, see Martian Dreams.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Aug 19,2011 12:57pm
arktouros said[orig][quote]
[QUOTE="DestroyYouAlot:1230637"
Pfft - robust enough generation routines don't NEED writing.

We are at odds. We seem to be at odds. Generation routines are a great tool in the box but don't do much to add a sense of mystery to the game, see Martian Dreams.

What I'm saying is, with the scope of what we're talking about here, you need enough content that you can just have the machine spit out, otherwise you're stuck writing new quests forever. 'Cause all MMO players do all day is sit around and make your precious writing obsolete by playing it (once).

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:Restless Orchestral Pharaoh
[default homepage] [print][11:28:29pm Apr 18,2024
load time 0.02172 secs/15 queries]
[search][refresh page]