New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> What is RTTP's stance on Deafheaven? by anon and on on Jul 24,2011 2:05am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 2:05am
I'm listening for the very first time.

toggletoggle post by Spaldino at Jul 24,2011 2:07am
replace "Liturgy" with "Deafheaven" in this video

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 2:09am
bm dudes don't make out. I've never heard Liturgy til just now and I like Deafheaven better. AM I WRONG?

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 24,2011 2:20am
Cool but not "black metal" in any traditional sense. Inspired, sure...

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 2:33am
The tags on last.fm have lied to me. I dig it.

toggletoggle post by Spaldino at Jul 24,2011 3:00am
echo/reverb post rock guitar line + garbage blasts + dissonant black metal chords + hipster douches = Deafheaven

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jul 24,2011 3:43am
Their singer needs to sing into the mic more during their show. Decent stuff otherwise.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 24,2011 3:56am
You forgot $400 Bloomingdales gift card

toggletoggle post by Spaldino at Jul 24,2011 5:09am
makes me want to drink some masala chai with milk and honey

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 11:00am
what spaldino said. I can't reall get into this shit.
Only Cold Body Radiation is real.

toggletoggle post by chriskar at Jul 24,2011 11:24am
Spaldino said[orig][quote]
echo/reverb post rock guitar line + garbage blasts + dissonant black metal chords + hipster douches = Deafheaven

surprise! i love deafheaven, really nice dudes and have shown a ton of support for Vattnet(also surprise to you guys im sure)..also...they dont claim to be black metal at all and never have, so they're not stepping on your elite turf.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at Jul 24,2011 12:10pm
Great band.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 12:31pm

toggletoggle post by Lamp nli at Jul 24,2011 2:23pm
My friend's grind band played with them in New Haven. All the hipsters hated the fuck out of them, pretty much.

I've never listened to Deafheaven and probably won't bother ever.

toggletoggle post by Archaeon at Jul 24,2011 2:28pm edited Jul 24,2011 2:28pm
I listen to them. Therefore they are not cool.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 3:21pm
If I wanted to listen to black metal on a hardcore label I'll stick with Youth Attack.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 4:04pm
Archaeon said[orig][quote]
I listen to them. Therefore they are not cool.

I know you like the faggy pop-punk.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jul 24,2011 4:36pm
Deafheaven is corny cookie cutter shit for people who think Doom Riders is stoner rock to listen to and think Deafheaven is atmospheric black metal.

It's a nice transition from thinking Bury Your Dead was hardcore.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 4:39pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]

BOUNCE

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jul 24,2011 4:44pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]
Deafheaven is corny cookie cutter shit for people who think Doom Riders is stoner rock to listen to and think Deafheaven is atmospheric black metal.

RTTP needs a like button that you can hit an infinite number of times.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 4:44pm
Only black metal brought to you by Scion is real.

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jul 24,2011 4:45pm
bobnomaamrooney said[orig][quote]
Only Scion brought to you by Scion brought to you by Scion is real.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 4:48pm
I'm just assuming they're on one of those retarded Scion fests or have some sort of relationship with the car company. I don't give a shit if they're nice guys or friends of someone, any band claiming black metal or using black metal influences is a piece of shit for getting involved with Scion et al.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 4:49pm
I'm just assuming they're on one of those retarded Scion fests or have some sort of relationship with the car company. I don't give a shit if they're nice guys or friends of someone, any band claiming black metal or using black metal influences is a piece of shit for getting involved with Scion et al.

I'm confused as to how you connected Deafheaven to Scion. Please elaborate.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 4:53pm
Because really, how authentic is it to write music reacting negatively to modernity/commodification/western excesses and glomming onto Scion? Self-defeating bullshit, your music is meaningless.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 5:02pm
It's also foolish that the first place people go to in defending bands like this is the ultimately empty statement "lol they're not trying to be kvlt" see that shit everywhere and it's tiresome. I joke about bands like this too but really the issue isn't their fashion, it's that their music just isn't good or original.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 5:05pm
So to recap, trend jumping, unoriginal, bland and devoid of meaning. Copy and repost as necessary in deafheven, krallice, liturgy and Wittr threads.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:08pm
US"BM" RIP

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:09pm
So to recap, trend jumping, unoriginal, bland and devoid of meaning. Copy and repost as necessary in deafheven, krallice, liturgy and Wittr threads.
Okay, half of your posts are Greek to me because I don't know what this business about Scion is. They sponsor metal shows, I suppose? I know next to nothing about black metal, but came across a post on the innerwebs about this band, listened, and was intrigued. I dig the public discourse though.

toggletoggle post by Chriskar at Jul 24,2011 5:14pm
Scion sponsored liturgy shows, these dudes tie liturgy to deafheaven because they're not cvlt, therefore deafheaven is sponsored by scion. Make sense?

toggletoggle post by Chriskar at Jul 24,2011 5:15pm
Only being sponsored by Volvo is real.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jul 24,2011 5:16pm
My take on the whole Scion thing, it's not like Scion is saying "change your sound or you don't get any of our money." Also, it's not like anybody who is in a band wouldn't take money from a company when they're not trying to control your style/image, so I guess I don't understand why Scion and bands that get sponsored by them get vilified for it.

I can't speak on Deafheaven specifically because I have yet to hear them, but it seems foolish to me that bands like Magrudergrind catch shit for linking up with Scion.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:18pm
Chriskar said[orig][quote]
Scion sponsored liturgy shows, these dudes tie liturgy to deafheaven because they're not cvlt, therefore deafheaven is sponsored by scion. Make sense?
Ahhhhh now I am enlightened. Thing is I gave Liturgy a critical listen...and all I could think about was the South Park episode where Stan gets old and everything sounds like...shit. That was pure awful. Still I liked Deafheaven, and Krallice was eeeeeright. Not earth shattering. Moving on to Wittr now.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 24,2011 5:19pm
Promoting Scion with your anticapitalist grindcore band is the 2010's version of Rage Against the Machine being on Sony. Undercutting the message is real.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jul 24,2011 5:22pm
Promoting Scion with your anticapitalist grindcore band is the 2010's version of Rage Against the Machine being on Sony. Undercutting the message is real.

That's just taking advantage of the system. If a company is willing to toss you some cash, why not use it to perpetuate your message? What's wrong with that?

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:23pm
RustyPS said[orig][quote]
My take on the whole Scion thing, it's not like Scion is saying "change your sound or you don't get any of our money." Also, it's not like anybody who is in a band wouldn't take money from a company when they're not trying to control your style/image, so I guess I don't understand why Scion and bands that get sponsored by them get vilified for it.
This is what was running through my head when researching the Scion thing. You can't blame a band for wanting to get paid (unless, of course, they have strong anticapitalist sentiments or whatever, then its hypocritical). BUT. I have yet to find any evidence of Deafheaven being linked to Scion, and a read-through of their lyrics didn't turn up anything that would put them at odds with receiving money from a corporation that offered it (if that would come to pass). Deathwish seems like a decent label, as labels go. For a band that only claims to be influenced by bm as opposed to having a frontman who wrote a faggy thesis about redefining/improving the genre entirely, I don't see the justification for lumping them in with Liturgy. But then again, I am new to this shit.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:25pm
I'd suggest starting with Bathory and working your way up to the early 90s and 2nd wave black metal. Dont start off by jumping into the cesspool.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:28pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
I'd suggest starting with Bathory and working your way up to the early 90s and 2nd wave black metal. Dont start off by jumping into the cesspool.
What qualifies this as the cesspool? Lack of musical skill? Plagiarized sound? Image?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:30pm
Everything. If you're looking for "BLACK METAL" then you're reading the wrong book, watching the wrong channel, listening to the wrong bands.
Discover the roots of the sound, then follow the roots to today.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:33pm
If you're looking for that modernized hybrid atmospheric post rock with black metal influence then keep listening to these bands. I know nothing of you, what bands you enjoy, or if you are a ploy to psychologically test rttp's take on this style of metal. Again, if you're looking for "black metal" , discover the roots. Work your way up. Anyone that doesn't listen to 1st and 2nd wave bands just doesnt get it.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:36pm
Everything. If you're looking for "BLACK METAL" then you're reading the wrong book, watching the wrong channel, listening to the wrong bands.
Discover the roots of the sound, then follow the roots to today.
To be fair, I was never looking for black metal. An acquaintance posted a song online, which I listened to out of curiosity. I ended up really enjoying it, and going out to find the album it came from. I had no preconceived notions of genre, and people seem to be fairly split on whether or not this band strives to produce a "black metal" sound. The only thing that seems evident is black metal being influential on their sound. I am listening to Bathory at the moment, and it doesn't strike me all that well. It seems somewhat contrived, as if its supremely evident that they're going for an 'epic' sound. Not to say that its bad, just not musically intriguing to my ears. I'd just rather spend my time listening to other things, I guess.

toggletoggle post by Lamp nli at Jul 24,2011 5:37pm
The problem with Scion is predatory pricing... smaller DIY labels can't afford to give out free music or put on huge free concerts, so the music of a lot of hard working individuals is left under the radar while Scion gets to use their power to dictate what is cool to us, and to associate their product with fond memories we have of music. It's manipulative and deceitful in every sense of the word and bands who let Scion release their music are throwing the entire underground under the bus.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:38pm
You type an awful lot like Martins, Martins.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:38pm
The Bathory I listened to had nice, plodding, easy to groove drums though. Seems like it'd be fun to jam on that.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:40pm
Lamp%20nli said[orig][quote]
The problem with Scion is predatory pricing... smaller DIY labels can't afford to give out free music or put on huge free concerts, so the music of a lot of hard working individuals is left under the radar while Scion gets to use their power to dictate what is cool to us, and to associate their product with fond memories we have of music. It's manipulative and deceitful in every sense of the word and bands who let Scion release their music are throwing the entire underground under the bus.
Okay, that I can understand. But still, its not the first time that bands have opted to take money at the expense of their scene. Not morally altruistic, but understandable nontheless.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:41pm
You type an awful lot like Martins, Martins.
If you're referring to me, I'm definitely not Martins. I don't have a username on this site, but I lurk fairly frequently.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:42pm
If you're into this sound, check out the bands Cold Body Radiation, Liam, Alcest, Les Discrets, and others. For this style of limp wristed metal, the euros are doing it much better.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jul 24,2011 5:43pm

Maybe they should change their model, but I don't see harm in bands taking free money when it's being offered for playing a few shows and nothing more. You can claim to stick to a certain ethic all you want, but getting paid and not "selling out" sounds like the perfect situation to me.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:51pm
If you're into this sound, check out the bands Cold Body Radiation, Liam, Alcest, Les Discrets, and others. For this style of limp wristed metal, the euros are doing it much better.
I didn't like ANY of those bands upon first listen..am I doing it wrong?

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:55pm
I can't shake the subtle feeling that I've been trolled by that list of suggestions..

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:55pm

bennyhillifier

all I can say is LOL!

toggletoggle post by Headbanging_Man at Jul 24,2011 5:56pm
anon%20and%20on said[orig][quote]
I am listening to Bathory at the moment, and it doesn't strike me all that well. It seems somewhat contrived, as if its supremely evident that they're going for an 'epic' sound

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 5:57pm
How were you being trolled? I gave you a list of bands that incorporate heavy use of reverb pedals, put atmosphere in the forefront of their song writing, and have post-rock influence?
WHAT exactly are you looking for? Burst beats over the music?

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 5:59pm
How were you being trolled? I gave you a list of bands that incorporate heavy use of reverb pedals, put atmosphere in the forefront of their song writing, and have post-rock influence?
WHAT exactly are you looking for? Burst beats over the music?
I'm not looking for anything in particular. Those bands simply don't strike me like Deafheaven has. I suppose to narrow it down I'm not a huge fan of the folk-y elements and clean vocals.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 6:01pm
...that's not how you open a beer can?

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 24,2011 6:03pm
What about this?

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 6:10pm
Solidly meh. I feel it more than the folky business, at any rate. From what I can glean, though, this isn't at all 'black metal'. It seems almost as if you were to take thrashy/grindy punk and add shoegaze. The drums seem fun though.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 24,2011 6:12pm
ALMOST as if one were to combine a band like Punch, Trap Them, or the_Network with shoegaze driven by atmosphere. If that makes any sense at all.

toggletoggle post by Lamp nli at Jul 24,2011 6:13pm

Maybe they should change their model, but I don't see harm in bands taking free money when it's being offered for playing a few shows and nothing more. You can claim to stick to a certain ethic all you want, but getting paid and not "selling out" sounds like the perfect situation to me.

This solution also ignores the root of the problem, and that problem is that a lot of DIY folks are fucking whiners. You try charging more than $6 for a show, $10 for a shirt, $4 for a 7", it becomes hissy fit central. Prices of gas and well, basically everything else are going up, and if we as a collective could agree to suck it up and pay higher prices in order to sustain our network, we wouldn't need an outside source that doesn't understand the importance of what people sacrifice for their tunes like Scion to step in and fill the void. Accepting corporate help is like saying that DIY is simply not worth saving.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Jul 24,2011 6:41pm
White Capitalist Swine!

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jul 24,2011 6:42pm

bennyhillifier

all I can say is LOL!

Anyone remember that awful band I Rise? They were around in the height of the let's play emo and call it "melodic hardcore" era but they were really just a bunch of geeks that acted like they were covering Our God is an Awesome God every single song...

That's what I feel like I just watched.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jul 24,2011 6:51pm

This solution also ignores the root of the problem, and that problem is that a lot of DIY folks are fucking whiners. You try charging more than $6 for a show, $10 for a shirt, $4 for a 7", it becomes hissy fit central. Prices of gas and well, basically everything else are going up, and if we as a collective could agree to suck it up and pay higher prices in order to sustain our network, we wouldn't need an outside source that doesn't understand the importance of what people sacrifice for their tunes like Scion to step in and fill the void. Accepting corporate help is like saying that DIY is simply not worth saving.

Well, while I agree with most of what you said, "the root of the problem" is not exactly easy to resolve at all. Try to get more than 3 random people to agree to do anything, it's like fucking rocket science. i bet you ask 10 random people that go to a show to accept what you say, and 7 of them will laugh in your face, and/or say fuck no, I got bills to pay.

Truth of the matter is, prices are going up for everyone, not just bands, and bands, no matter if you think they're great or not, are the ones who sacrifice the most for shows. This is going to sound like me bitching about being in a band, but I don't care. Most bands don't have roadies to load their equipment in and out, most bands don't have a sound guy to make sure they sound like they want to sound, most bands don't get paid to play a show they went an hour+ out of their way to play just so people get to hear them that aren't the same 10-15 people that show up to every other show they play, and if they do get paid, they're lucky if they get more than $20. If Scion approached Crippling Fear tomorrow, and said, "hey, we want you to play a show down in Florida, all expenses paid, and you can play whatever the fuck you want," I'd say fucking sign me up, and I guarantee 99.9% of bands would do the same if given the opportunity, no matter what their beliefs/ethics/morals are.

toggletoggle post by Lamp nli at Jul 24,2011 7:08pm
See, that's my point though! The only difference between what you and I are saying is that you believe it's impossible (or at the very least more difficult than it's worth) for people to work together in the underground without help from a powerful outside source. In all honesty, I wouldn't even mind if there were less people at shows. Get the people looking for a cheap party the fuck out of the scene and give it back to the dedicated fans who will pay whatever it takes to sustain the music. Bands need to be compensated more, I think anyone who cares about music can agree on that. The problem is fucks who don't care. I'd be in favor of more small shows full of people who paid without bitching and actually watch the bands.

toggletoggle post by Lamp nli at Jul 24,2011 7:10pm
Another thing to me is that it's an issue of trust. Scion is being benevolent to us now, but for how long? I don't believe that Scion's intentions are pure and I think it's only a matter of time before they start asking for something back.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jul 24,2011 7:43pm
Hey, I'm not saying it's impossible. The DIY scene survived and thrived well before Scion came along. What I'm saying is if an "outside source" can help out bands while those bands don't have to let go of what they believe, then I say more power to them.

Also, to respond to the part you said about getting people who aren't dedicated out of the scene, I say that's not the right way to look at it. The reason I say that is the amount of people who are truly dedicated fans are nowhere near as close to the number it was 10-15 years ago. You segregate those who aren't truly dedicated, and bands lose out even more. People who book tend to pay attention to how many people a band can bring in, and the less people that show up, no matter how "dedicated" they are, the less likely a booker will book that band again.

It's all about the bottom line to anyone and everyone now, which is sad, but it's also the absolute truth. So I say, why not accept help from someone who's willing to help without trying to change what you're doing?

toggletoggle post by RustyPS  at Jul 24,2011 7:44pm
Another thing to me is that it's an issue of trust. Scion is being benevolent to us now, but for how long? I don't believe that Scion's intentions are pure and I think it's only a matter of time before they start asking for something back.

I cannot blame you for questioning their motives, but only time will tell there.

toggletoggle post by douchebag_patrol at Jul 24,2011 8:48pm

toggletoggle post by Lamp  at Jul 24,2011 9:37pm
Hey, I'm not saying it's impossible. The DIY scene survived and thrived well before Scion came along. What I'm saying is if an "outside source" can help out bands while those bands don't have to let go of what they believe, then I say more power to them.

You really don't think bands have to give up anything they believe in, eh?

I guess those people have different goals for their music than I do with mine... it's not a perfect world.

toggletoggle post by chriskar at Jul 25,2011 1:17am
does anyone just listen to music anymore? without pounding it into the ground with analysis and genre skepticism...?

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Jul 25,2011 2:18am
penis heaven

toggletoggle post by spaldino at Jul 25,2011 3:14am
chriskar said[orig][quote]
does anyone just listen to music anymore? without pounding it into the ground with analysis and genre skepticism...?

NO U

toggletoggle post by ark at Jul 25,2011 8:38am

Do you think pop art is any good? Yeah, me neither.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Jul 25,2011 8:39am

love it

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 25,2011 8:46am
ark said[orig][quote]

Do you think pop tarts are any good? Yeah, me neither.

Your arrested.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Jul 25,2011 9:33am

http://baystaterock.com/phpBB3/

bon appetit.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Jul 25,2011 10:00am
I'm just surprised the music discussion to pictures of cocks ratio in this thread is more on the discussion side.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Jul 25,2011 10:13am
xmikex said[orig][quote]

http://baystaterock.com/phpBB3/

bon appetit.

hahah whaT THE SHIT? is that board just trolls?

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jul 25,2011 10:20am
only asking a messageboard for approval to listen to a band is real.

i don't listen to deafheaven. i listen to whatever i want. i don't care who thinks it's cool.

toggletoggle post by KEVORD  at Jul 25,2011 10:28am
Where's Ghost?

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jul 25,2011 10:49am
if i never hear the term "black metal" again, i'll die a happy man.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jul 25,2011 11:01am
brown metal*

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 25,2011 11:07am
I believe the new term is CutOffShortsWithSlip-onShoeBlackMetal.
CoSwS-oSBM

toggletoggle post by ark at Jul 25,2011 12:08pm
That was a shot at slag.

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAG NLI at Jul 25,2011 12:17pm
I have never BM'ed in my shorts. YOU TAKE THAT BACK ARILLIUSBM

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 25,2011 12:18pm
Lol no it wasn't!

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAG NLI at Jul 25,2011 12:20pm
My shorts are 100% brownie mountain free.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Jul 25,2011 12:24pm
I believe the new term is arilli-USBM

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Jul 25,2011 1:15pm
hahahaha! win.

toggletoggle post by anon and on at Jul 25,2011 1:45pm
dreadkill said[orig][quote]

i don't listen to deafheaven. i listen to whatever i want. i don't care who thinks it's cool.
You've got me wrong. I will continue to listen to Deafheaven no matter what is said in this thread. I just know that this band has generated some controversy so I wanted to gauge the reaction of a forum populated with metal fans. And to get an idea of why they are hated.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Jul 25,2011 1:48pm
Are you there internet? It's me, Margaret.

dreadkill said[orig][quote]

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Jul 25,2011 1:49pm
my mom thinks i'm cool

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Jul 25,2011 1:56pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]

bennyhillifier

all I can say is LOL!

Anyone remember that awful band I Rise? They were around in the height of the let's play emo and call it "melodic hardcore" era but they were really just a bunch of geeks that acted like they were covering Our God is an Awesome God every single song...

That's what I feel like I just watched.

holy shit, what a bunch of phagz..why is this suppose to be black metal again?

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Jul 25,2011 2:04pm
OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD. HE REIGNS FROM HEAVEN ABOVE- WITH WISDOM, POWER AND MIGHT,. OUR GOD IS AN AWESOME GOD

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Jul 25,2011 2:09pm
haha me and friend used to blast that song in my car in high school. so uplifting.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Jul 25,2011 2:09pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]
Deafheaven is corny cookie cutter shit.

Spaldino said[orig][quote]
echo/reverb post rock guitar line + garbage blasts + dissonant black metal chords +

yeah, look, many bands mix genres effectively. this band may sound great to some people, but old fucks can tell when bands paste shoegaze, post-rock, crust, and blast beats together and call it "atmospheric" and "not black metal, we just like the sound" like they're offering an APOLOGY for writing derivative music. heard this shit a thousand times by different and better bands. i just hear 5 dudes playing nothing much, really loud.

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Jul 25,2011 2:11pm edited Jul 25,2011 2:12pm
black/salsa version of Our God is An Awesome God

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Jul 25,2011 2:11pm
or rather, hearing agalloch for the first time, and turning it up to 11.

toggletoggle post by SLAAAAG at Jul 25,2011 2:23pm
I'm not old, I'm expereienced.

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Jul 25,2011 2:39pm
pop punk black metal

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 25,2011 2:50pm
Dumb thread

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 25,2011 3:00pm
I've always loved that the only time Herr Ryan is ever serious on this site is when there's a discussion about Hipster BM.

toggletoggle post by AndrewBastard  at Jul 25,2011 3:22pm
when i listen to this band I sometimes think to myself:

"if i were deaf...

*SUNGLASSES...

I'd be in heaven"

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

toggletoggle post by Czarnobog at Jul 25,2011 3:45pm edited Jul 25,2011 3:46pm
just listened to this band now. meh. all these "post-black" bands are just like all the "post-crust" ones trying to cash in these days. all heaviness/aggressiveness or ambience/epic-ness (or fuck it, actual feeling behind the music) has been totally neutered by over-use of pedal effects and slick production in my opinion. i don't even care that much about the hipster image or how popular they are. just sounds bland to me.

toggletoggle post by nekronaut  at Jul 25,2011 4:06pm
I've always loved that the only time Herr Ryan is ever serious on this site is when there's a discussion about Hipster BM.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jul 25,2011 6:34pm
^ THIS

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 25,2011 7:00pm
Oh come on, I'm pretty serious about my pederasty too

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jul 25,2011 7:11pm
DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
^ THIS

Haha, that was actually supposed to go like dis:

arktouros said[orig][quote]
or rather, hearing agalloch for the first time, and turning it up to 11.

DestroyYouAlot said[orig][quote]
^ THIS

But Ryan does love courtly BM gossip and kids. And regional seafood dishes. I think we can agree on that.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 25,2011 7:15pm
Halloween this year = I'm gonna dress up like liturgy.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 25,2011 7:19pm
I am yes to cheapen your kvlt

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jul 25,2011 7:20pm
It's the small things in life, really.

toggletoggle post by goatcatalyst   at Jul 25,2011 7:22pm
Simple pleasures

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Jul 25,2011 7:23pm
DYA apparently your cell phone doesn't work anymore.

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jul 25,2011 7:27pm
DYA apparently your cell phone doesn't work anymore.

ITT: simple truths, plainly told

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Jul 25,2011 7:28pm
do a facebook ritual about it

toggletoggle post by LucidCurse at Jul 25,2011 8:32pm

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at Jul 29,2011 10:37am
Just listened to this band for the first time yesterday,

goatcatalyst said[orig][quote]
Cool but not "black metal" in any traditional sense. Inspired, sure...

I like what I heard but I'm not in love with it. I looked into a few interviews and I think the only people actually labeling them as a "black metal act" are people reviewing their CD/Demo and others who are suggesting them to their friends.
Don't worry boys, I don't see them touring with 1349 anytime soon!

toggletoggle post by Randy_Marsh at Sep 8,2011 4:34am
Just by seeing the album artwork and description I didn't think this band would be that bad or retarded but man this band is ghey as hell. Like what the fuck is that singer thinking being that phaggy on stage? I wish hipster music just stayed with indie alt rock.

toggletoggle post by spence at May 7,2014 7:05pm

toggletoggle post by Nukleeeur warrrr at May 7,2014 10:35pm
The Pecan Tree

wat

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at May 8,2014 3:54am
burnsy said[orig][quote]
Great band.

Ughhhhhhhh. Gross. I should kick my ass for giving those dudes the benefit of the doubt.

toggletoggle post by DYA is PUFFED STEPPERS at May 8,2014 7:39am
Fight yourself or you're a pussy.

toggletoggle post by DYA is PUFFED STEPPERS at May 8,2014 7:39am
(The whole thing?)

toggletoggle post by KTHRSS at May 8,2014 8:39am
If I wanted to listen to black metal on a hardcore label I'll stick with Youth Attack.

toggletoggle post by KTHRSS at May 8,2014 8:41am
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
burnsy said[orig][quote]
Great band.

Ughhhhhhhh. Gross. I should kick my ass for giving those dudes the benefit of the doubt.

GOOD, FAGGET

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at May 8,2014 9:13am
it's ok background music. nothing amazing. pretty formulaic

toggletoggle post by xmikex at May 8,2014 9:21am
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
burnsy said[orig][quote]
Great band.

Hey man, it was 2011. We all did some crazy things.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at May 8,2014 9:24am
This band are bees and will follow Alcest's route and make happy flower music.

toggletoggle post by DYA is DUAL BISMUTH YAW GATE at May 8,2014 9:37am
xmikex said[orig][quote]
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
burnsy said[orig][quote]
Great band.

It was a different time. Your weak modern rules didn't apply in that bygone age of heroism.

toggletoggle post by Snowden at May 8,2014 10:03am
DYA%20is%20DUAL%20BISMUTH%20YAW%20GATE said[orig][quote]
xmikex said[orig][quote]
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
burnsy said[orig][quote]
Great band.

It was a different time. Your weak modern rules didn't apply in that bygone age of heroism.

DYA IS TAKING A BRAVE STAND AGAINST MODERNITY

toggletoggle post by KTHRSS at May 8,2014 11:11am
This band are bees and will follow Alcest's route and make happy flower music.

Didn't they pretty much do that with Sunbather? I've unfortunately been exposed to it once, and it sounded pretty damned happy, if different from Alcest.

toggletoggle post by Burnsy at May 8,2014 11:14am
KTHRSS said[orig][quote]
Burnsy said[orig][quote]
burnsy said[orig][quote]
Great band.

GOOD, FAGGET

WHY DONT YOU FUCKIN LOG IN AND SAY THAT SHIT YOU FUCKIN PUSSY! Oh, wait.

toggletoggle post by KTHRSS at May 8,2014 11:15am
I'VE BEEN LIFTING WEIGHTS AND DOING COCAINE ALL DAY AND I'M READY TO FIGHT YOU!!!

toggletoggle post by spence at May 9,2014 1:38am

toggletoggle post by DYA is DUAL BISMUTH YAW GATE at May 9,2014 8:27am
Spence killing it ITT.

toggletoggle post by spence at Jun 8,2014 11:13pm
I really don't understand how this band got so popular.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:type $#1!, get hit
[default homepage] [print][11:16:49am Apr 23,2024
load time 0.07151 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]