New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> SWAT Team goes to Burlington Mall thinking a man had a rifle.. guy had a fucking UMBRELLA by arilliusbm on Apr 19,2011 2:41pm
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 19,2011 2:41pm
This is ALMOST as bad as the "bomb scare" with the Aqua Teen Hunger Force props a few years ago. This state is ridiculous and dumb.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2011/04/burlington_mall.html

BURLINGTON -- Police responded in force today to a report of a man with a rifle at the Burlington Mall, evacuating shoppers and calling in a SWAT team as worried workers locked themselves into stores. But it turned out that the man was only carrying an umbrella.

"The situation is cleared. There was no threat," State Police said in a statement.

Burlington Police Officer Jim Tigges said that at about 9:55 a.m. Burlington police received a call from mall security reporting that two employees had seen a man with a backpack and a short rifle walk into the building and go into the bathroom.

Police raced to the mall, blocking off the parking lot as four helicopters hovered in the sky. The North East Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council SWAT team, composed of officers from area communities, was summoned.

Tigges said that once police were inside the building, they were alerted that there was surveillance video of the suspect leaving the Sears store at the mall. Police showed the video to the two people who had spotted the man at the Nordstorm store. They confirmed it was the same person, and police were able to determine the object the man was carrying was an umbrella and not a rifle.

State Police also said in a statement that a man had called them to report that he was the person seen in the mall. Troopers and officers went to the area of the nearby Lahey Clinic and interviewed him, determining he was not a threat.

"The male does not have a weapon. ... Witnesses and surveillance footage confirm that this is the person who was seen in the mall," State Police said.

State Police spokesman David Procopio said the umbrella did look like a rifle when it was protruding from the man's backpack.

He praised the 911 callers for "being perceptive and vigilant and we are grateful for their call."

Procopio called it a "case of mistaken impression ... one that was easy to make because the umbrella really looked like a weapon."

Sharon Sliney and Jody Joyce, two workers at Sears, said they were taking their break at a Dunkin’ Donuts shop, when they saw that the wing for the Nordstrom store had been closed off. Ten minutes later, they said, they saw a phalanx of SWAT team members bearing shields and wearing body armor, marching through the mall towards Nordstrom.

“You don’t see something like that every day in the mall,” said Joyce, who was sitting in her car in the parking lot, where some waited as police checked out the building.

“We saw stores closing and people running so we didn’t know what was going on,” Jannicke Welde, an employee of Mac, a cosmetics store, said. “We went and sat in the back of the store until the security guard told us we could leave."

Rachel Montagna, an employee at Wet Seal, said she and coworkers stayed in the back of the store throughout the crisis. "We were really scared until I spoke to my boss on the phone, and she was watching the news and she said that the rifle was actually an umbrella,'' Montagna said. "I was really glad when it was over. It was certainly a major relief."

The Burlington Mall was used as the setting for the Kevin James comedy movie "Paul Blart: Mall Cop."

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Apr 19,2011 2:44pm
old news!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 19,2011 2:44pm
indeed. NO THREAD

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Apr 19,2011 2:45pm
Alx_Casket said[orig][quote]
old news!

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 19,2011 2:50pm
arilliusbm said[orig][quote]
indeed. NO THREAD

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Apr 19,2011 2:52pm
Well, what if it was a pesky umbrella-gun? YOU CAN'T BE TOO CAREFUL.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Apr 19,2011 2:53pm
The Burlington Mall was used as the setting for the Kevin James comedy movie "Paul Blart: Mall Cop."

I thought this shit was filmed at the south shore plaza?

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Apr 19,2011 2:56pm
I kinda feel bad for the dude. I mean, you're going about your usual business, then all of a sudden a SWAT team appears asking you about a rifle! Jeez!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Apr 19,2011 2:59pm
boblovesmusic said[orig][quote]
I kinda feel bad for the dude. I mean, you're going about your usual business, then all of a sudden a SWAT team appears asking you about a rifle! Jeez!

actually he called from work after he heard about this happening and said.. "i think i'm the guy ur looking for."

toggletoggle post by boblovesmusic   at Apr 19,2011 3:01pm
yeah, just read that part, but still! How embarrassing! (or awesome?)

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at Apr 19,2011 3:04pm
FuckIsMySignature said[orig][quote]

actually he called from work after he heard about this happening and said.. "i think i'm the guy ur looking for."

HAHAHAHA

Detectiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

toggletoggle post by sigh at Apr 19,2011 3:05pm
I hope they confiscated their mall cop issued segways for being so fucking dumb.

toggletoggle post by aaron_michael  at Apr 19,2011 4:03pm
This is the kind of situation where the people who made the phone call should be punished. If you see what appears to be the butt/barrel of a gun sticking blatantly out the top of someone's backpack, you'd think a person's curiosity would get the best of them and they'd follow the backpack owner before immediately hitting the panic button.
Simply just to see if they should do a "double take" and not look like a bed-wetter. I mean, unless you see the reincarnation of Lee Harvey mumbling about a book suppository and loading a tech9 walking into a WHAMMY! Burger, then take another look!

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Apr 19,2011 4:04pm
boblovesmusic said[orig][quote]
yeah, just read that part, but still! How embarrassing! (or awesome?)

i'm sure the swat team was more embarrassed.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Apr 19,2011 4:04pm
The Penguin went into the Burlington Mall? maybe he just needed a new tophat

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Apr 19,2011 5:22pm
i'd call this a sWAT team.

toggletoggle post by reimroc at Apr 19,2011 6:04pm
this state went full retard a long, long time ago.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Apr 19,2011 8:04pm

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Apr 20,2011 1:10am

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:why are you saying that
[default homepage] [print][7:42:47pm Mar 28,2024
load time 0.01988 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]