New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> Anyone have advice to start running? by the_reverend on Apr 6,2011 10:34am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 10:34am
I want to run 10K in 65 days. Any runners out there with advice?

toggletoggle post by Pires at Apr 6,2011 10:35am
Ugh...why?

toggletoggle post by hauptpflucker   at Apr 6,2011 10:37am
Are you running in Canada? Because this is \'merica and we have miles here boy!

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Apr 6,2011 10:39am

Stefaan Engels (born 7 April 1961, Ghent), also known as "marathon man", is a Belgian marathoner and triathlete who currently holds the world record for most consecutive marathons in a single year with 365 marathons completed in 2010.[1] He also holds the record for the most Ironman Triathlons in a year with 20 over 2007 and 2008.

Engels averaged around four hours to complete each marathon with a best time of 2 hours and 56 minutes. He ran 15,401 kilometres (9,570 mi) during his marathons over 2010. Engels said that a slow pace was the key.[2] Before him, the record was held by Akinori Kusuda of Japan with 52 marathons in a row at the age of 65 in 2009.

Of his feats, Engels described: "I don't regard my marathon year as torture. It's more like a regular job...I am running just as Joe Average goes to work on Monday morning, whether or not he feels like it. I don't always feel like running, but when I am done, I take a shower, have some physiotherapy for an hour, and that wraps up my day." [3]

Growing up Engels had asthma and was instructed to avoid activity.

so that's it aaron, just make it your job. easy.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 10:42am
Pires said[orig][quote]
Ugh...why?
tom hanks did it and invented the smiley face and shit happens.

toggletoggle post by narkybark   at Apr 6,2011 10:42am
Put one foot in front of the other repeatedly, a little faster than you would if you were walking. Avoid trees.

toggletoggle post by SLAG at Apr 6,2011 10:44am
My advice, don't start running. Terrible for you. Feet and Knees will never be the same.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Apr 6,2011 10:46am
yeah bro. BIKE.

toggletoggle post by RustyPS should be working at Apr 6,2011 10:47am
SLAG said[orig][quote]
My advice, don't start running. Terrible for you. Consequences will never be the same.

fixed

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Apr 6,2011 10:52am
Here's some advice: stop trying to be me.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 6,2011 10:55am
RustyPS%20should%20be%20working said[orig][quote]
SLAG said[orig][quote]
My advice, don't start running. Terrible for you. Consequences will never be the same.

fixed
excellent

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Apr 6,2011 10:56am
the_reverend said[orig][quote]
I want to run 10K in 65 days. Any runners out there with advice?

THERE'S A BEAR RIGHT BEHIND YOU

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 6,2011 10:57am
Google "Cool Running Couch to 5k" adjust plan to your needs. It

toggletoggle post by timma at Apr 6,2011 11:04am
I trained for a 5k a couple years ago, man did it suck. But I got a free steak dinner out of it because my friend is an asshole and bet me he could beat me.

Advice? Break your training up into increments. You got like, 9 weeks right? So ramp up gradually. Start with running a mile, and every week or so tack on another one until you're up around 6. Run outside if you can, because treadmill training is garbage. I used Google Maps to help me map out routes for the distance I wanted around my neighborhood.

Breathing is everything when you're distance running. In through the nose, out through the mouth at a consistent pace is key, or else you get exhausted way faster (no homo).

Also, don't be an asshat and blitzkrieg the first part of your run because you think you can. You'll be shit out of luck and sucking wind the whole 2nd half of your run.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Apr 6,2011 11:12am
SLAG said[orig][quote]
My advice, don't start running. Terrible for you. Feet and Knees will never be the same.

Yeah... just like Jerry Rice. What a cripple that guy was.

Rev, the first step is a decent pair of running shoes. There are a million websites out there to help you figure out what arch type you have, and I think Zappos has a guide as well.

The second biggest tip I can give you is to be very mindful of your mechanics when you're first starting out. Just going out and stomping on the pavement like most people do is going to result in shin splits, and knee pain in the short term and an overall distaste for running in the long term. Dorsiflexion is important for your overall health, endurance, and speed.

The biggest killer of all when it comes to running is the fact that running sucks, and no one ever wants to do it. So make it as un-obnoxious as possible. Set attainable goals for yourself at first. Start with a simple mile or half mile for your first few runs. Set a time table to double that. Don't worry about time. Get the endurance under your belt and the time will come. Know your routes. Find alternate routes that are maybe shorter but involve more hills. Run in intervals sometimes (60 second sprints, 60 second rests or sprint to a landmark then jog to another landmark). I'll do highstep knees sometimes across crosswalks just to keep my mind engaged.

Pick some music that makes you want to run. You'd be surprised what works. I was doing a couple miles a night until I started listening to old school reggae. Now I do 6 miles.

And warm up before you warm up. Don't stretch cold muscles. Stretch your hips especially. Loose hips will lengthen your runs.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 6,2011 11:17am
timma said[orig][quote]

Also, don't be an asshat and blitzkrieg the first part of your run because you think you can. You'll be shit out of luck and sucking wind the whole 2nd half of your run.

lulz, I do this constantly and never learn. Only sitting in your car waiting for your legs to stop feeling like jello is real.

Google maps is a good idea, but if you've got an iphone or a touch you can use the Nike+ app to do the tracking for you.

toggletoggle post by posbleak   at Apr 6,2011 11:20am
If you can already run a reasonable 5K, you might want to check out the Bridge To 10K plan: http://blog.c25kapp.com/about-bridge-to-10k/

Make sure that your shoes are right for your gait and do as much training as you can on soft surfaces like grass, dirt trails, and sand.

Which 10K are you training for?

toggletoggle post by boxxy at Apr 6,2011 11:22am
that's easy, start small, work your way up. duh.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 6,2011 11:23am
You could also invest in some magic legs so when some rubes on their bikes start chasing you you can start running and bust out of them and run all the way through the pivotal moments of the 20th century.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Apr 6,2011 11:25am
posbleak said[orig][quote]
Make sure that your shoes are right for your gait and do as much training as you can on soft surfaces like grass, dirt trails, and sand.

yes, please, for the love of hermes, do this, and completely avoid running downhill on pavement. AVOID.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Apr 6,2011 11:27am
BobNOMAAMRooney%20nli said[orig][quote]
You could also invest in some magic legs so when some rubes on their bikes start chasing you you can start running and bust out of them and run all the way through the pivotal moments of the 20th century.
or you could get your legs blown off in 'nam, get laughed at by hookers, survive a hurricane, and attend your friend's wedding with new legs made out of the same titanium alloy used in the space shuttle.

toggletoggle post by BradsauceNLI at Apr 6,2011 11:34am
Once you've got a routine, don't break it. I run 3-4 times a week and even skipping one day sucks. Missing a week will knock a mile off my route. Find some place that's nice to run, like Nashua or Brockton. Invest in some absurdly short shorts and some awesome stretchy pants for the winter. SUPPORT YOUR BALLBAG.

toggletoggle post by boxxy at Apr 6,2011 11:47am
Seriously though rev, it's just like any other physical activity. Do it at least 3 times a week in the first week or two then go up to 4 times a week. Start with 2k or 3k per day in the first week, go to 4 or 5 in the second week, etc.. you should be at 10k a day by about half way through your training. You'll be fine, just start doing it now so that the rate of incline is as slow as you like it. If you start immediately, you can go up .5k every two runs and you'll still notice the increase, but only academically, your body won't have a problem with adjusting that slowly.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 6,2011 11:50am
dreadkill said[orig][quote]
or you could get your legs blown off in 'nam, get laughed at by hookers, survive a hurricane, and attend your friend's wedding with new legs made out of the same titanium alloy used in the space shuttle.

Marry a gook to show Nam you came out on top

toggletoggle post by timma at Apr 6,2011 11:57am
As if you would know, boxxy.

Only thing you run from is tiny dicks and condoms. Slut.

toggletoggle post by boxxy at Apr 6,2011 11:58am
i am very familiar with something that you need much endurance for... YOU KNOW that... *wink wink*

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Apr 6,2011 11:59am

Impossible without investing shrimping money in Apple computer stock to attract gold digger azn wife.

I think we may have found a dealbreaker for the Rev.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 12:07pm
I sort of plan on running on railroad tracks. I'll have to get new shoes, but I like running barefooted best.

toggletoggle post by BobNOMAAMRooney nli at Apr 6,2011 12:08pm
xmikex said[orig][quote]

Impossible without investing shrimping money in Apple computer stock to attract gold digger azn wife.

I think we may have found a dealbreaker for the Rev.

Whore's spending all my cash at Kam Man, all my precious fruit company fortunes gone.

toggletoggle post by BradsauceNLI at Apr 6,2011 12:10pm
What about those running sock deals? They're like foot condoms.

toggletoggle post by Spydre  at Apr 6,2011 12:11pm
I've done an Ironman, several marathons, and countless other triathlons. My advice for training for a 10k is to follow a program like this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/138.shtml

Make sure you eat reasonably healthy (not super important for a 10k, but it helps), stretch after every run, and use a foam roller if you have one. Try to take in about 20-25g of carbs after running as well (a glass of chocolate milk is a perfect blend of protein/carbs for endurance training recovery). If you have any other questions, I can probably offer some decent advice.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 12:16pm
I eat mostly tofu, eggs, veggies, and noodles. Oh, plus like a bottle of wine a night.

toggletoggle post by Spydre  at Apr 6,2011 12:20pm
That sounds healthier than how I eat, haha. Sounds like you're more than set on that front.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 12:24pm

average meal.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Apr 6,2011 12:24pm
I sort of plan on running on railroad tracks. I'll have to get new shoes, but I like running barefooted best.

Barefooted on a railroad track. Sounds like a plan!

bennyhillifier

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 12:28pm
that had me larffing

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Apr 6,2011 12:42pm
Check out the Terra Plana EVO IIs for decent barefoot running shoes. You could always do Vibram but they look weird. For barefoot running on the cheap, there's Soft Star Runamocs or any of the Feelmax shoes.

toggletoggle post by timma at Apr 6,2011 12:46pm

average meal.

Hmmm. I notice a Fleshlight is suspiciously absent from this picture.

toggletoggle post by posbleak   at Apr 6,2011 12:49pm edited Apr 6,2011 12:49pm
Squats and deadlifts will make you run faster. Post-run yoga will make you feel like a human rubber band: http://www.runnergirl.com/yoga.shtml

Vibrams are filth, either go full-on barefoot or invest in some racing flats.

toggletoggle post by Martins   at Apr 6,2011 12:50pm
I love broken glass in my feetz

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 1:04pm
timma said[orig][quote]

average meal.

Hmmm. I notice a Fleshlight is suspiciously absent from this picture.
I said meal, not dessert.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 1:05pm
I actually have had broken glass in my feet since saturday.. but that was an indoor accident not outdoors.

toggletoggle post by boxxy at Apr 6,2011 1:53pm
are you actually considering running 10k with barefeet?

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 1:54pm
no

toggletoggle post by boxxy at Apr 6,2011 1:55pm
i didn't think so, but you're a weird dude. Factbomb.

toggletoggle post by lbpvd at Apr 6,2011 2:13pm
i challenged myself to doing the 10k run over the Jamestown RI bridge in a couple weeks. im up to being able to run about 3.5 miles in 35 minutes without being winded. the bridges inclines will be a bitch though so im working my way up to that. as far as workout music its hardcore gangsta rap or metal all day

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Apr 6,2011 3:10pm
Running far sounds horrible, good luck with that.

toggletoggle post by largefreakatzero at Apr 6,2011 3:12pm
posbleak said[orig][quote]
Squats and deadlifts will make you run faster.

LOL WUT? Ooooh, you're talking about doing them with girl weight.

toggletoggle post by Alx_Casket  at Apr 6,2011 3:22pm
I just had a huge plate of lo mein and general gau's chicken. I will proceed to take an itis-induced nap at my desk for the rest of the work day and you can have fun with your running.

toggletoggle post by Woah!_Shut_It_Down!  at Apr 6,2011 3:25pm
Do a training montage about it, Rocky.

toggletoggle post by SungwooAVERSED at Apr 6,2011 6:23pm
I'm in my schools Track and Cross Country team. If you're JUST starting, do 2-3 miles per hour 6 times a week. After a month, you will be able to feel healthy and comfortable with running 4-5 miles per hour. Eat a lot of pasta and VERY IMPORTANT. Eat a bar or anything like fruits n grains within 20 minutes of your jog. The muscles dry out a bit and the muscle absorbs the nutrients very quickly. you will feel fantastic the next day. BUY PROPER RUNNING SHOES! Best brands are Saucony. Expect to spend $70-90. Good shoes reduce the chances of an injury. Stretch out before and after a jog too. You should eventually, sign up for your local 5k so that you can know how well your endurance is and challenge yourself. 5ks a are ton of fun but remember. Running is a mental sport than anything so practice hard/ Work hard and keep on running. I wish you the best of luck.

toggletoggle post by ark at Apr 6,2011 6:36pm
rev, this thread is now your decathalon training journal. each day you will record your diet, your distance and time traveled, your shoe choice, bear encounters, etc.

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Apr 6,2011 6:38pm
SungwooAVERSED said[orig][quote]
If you're JUST starting, do 2-3 miles per hour 6 times a week. After a month, you will be able to feel healthy and comfortable with running 4-5 miles per hour.

This seems like a flimsy reason to go out and buy a running spedometer (even though you know the Rev is dying to get one) for a non-competitive race. Time isn't the end goal here. Distance is.

Best brands are Saucony.

He's doing a 10k not starting a 2003 metalcore band.

You should eventually, sign up for your local 5k so that you can know how well your endurance is and challenge yourself. 5ks a are ton of fun but remember.

As previously mentioned, he's already running a 10k.

toggletoggle post by demondave at Apr 6,2011 6:38pm
narkybark said[orig][quote]
Put one foot in front of the other repeatedly, a little faster than you would if you were walking. Avoid trees.

This thread was over back at this post

toggletoggle post by DestroyYouAlot  at Apr 6,2011 6:43pm
ark said[orig][quote]
rev, this thread is now your decathalon training journal. each day you will record your diet, your distance and time traveled, your shoe choice, owlbear encounters, etc.

toggletoggle post by ark at Apr 6,2011 6:47pm
dead men don't write journals, pal

toggletoggle post by SungwooAVERSED at Apr 6,2011 6:48pm
ah. i didnt see the 10k thing.

Yeah. in the end, endurance and distance is.

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Apr 6,2011 6:54pm
Aaron doesn't know how to run. What a stupid fuck. Stay tuned for my tutorial on drinking water.

toggletoggle post by bobnomaamrooney at Apr 6,2011 6:59pm
RichHorror said[orig][quote]
Aaron doesn't know how to run. What a stupid fuck. Stay tuned for my tutorial on drinking water.

Hey Rich...can you teach me how to Dougie?

toggletoggle post by RichHorror  at Apr 6,2011 7:01pm
Maybe later, this week is strictly classes on the Lindy.

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 6,2011 7:12pm
I need to get the glass out of my feet... thinking of going to buy a pair of shoes.

toggletoggle post by ark at Apr 6,2011 7:15pm
that'll do it

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 19,2011 6:04pm
Ok, I tried on different shoes and worked it down to two shoes.
1) mizuno wave ronin
2) saucony kirivara
I'm reading from their hand writting. Laning mizuno

toggletoggle post by xmikex at Apr 19,2011 7:17pm
SPOIL YOURSELF!

toggletoggle post by the_reverend   at Apr 19,2011 7:39pm

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:you are so smrt
[default homepage] [print][1:51:46am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.04201 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]