New Poll
Miscellaneous
Links
Search
End Ass Hat
login

New site? Maybe some day.
Posting Anonymously login: [Forgotten Password]
returntothepit >> discuss >> speeding ticket in RI for a MA resident? by arilliusbm on Mar 22,2011 11:58am
Add To All Your Pages!
toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 22,2011 11:58am
dumb question, but this was the first speeding offense in years. figures, happens within the week of getting a new car.
anyway, should I bother printing out a driving history and going to court in RI to appeal it? i don't want it to jack up my insurance in MA. anyone know if the states exchange information?
I'm pretty sure they do.. MA is a nightmare when it comes to speeding violations.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 22,2011 12:01pm
just tell them to fuck off and never go to RI again. they have the worst drivers in the country anyway, so you're likely to die if you go there.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 22,2011 12:03pm
dreadkill said[orig][quote]
just tell them to fuck off and never go to RI again. they have the worst drivers in the country anyway, so you're likely to die if you go there.

hahaha totally. all I was doing was passing a van that was in the middle lane. Guy said I was going 85 but in reality I was going 78mph. Then he proceeds to tell me that he "gave me a break" and dropped the speed down to 75mph. Fuck you RI State Police. Bunch o' liars.

Also, cops are everywhere today. Not sure why.. State Troopahs are prowling the highways looking for people to pull over.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at Mar 22,2011 12:03pm

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 22,2011 12:04pm
yea.. that's what it says on the back of the ticket. I'm considering the "good drive record" one, although that seems to be a waste of time considering you still pay the fucking fee and ticket.

toggletoggle post by brodown at Mar 22,2011 12:05pm
Pretty much all states exchange info now, and I'd ALWAYS recommend fighting a ticket.

There are a ton of websites out there filled with info that will help. One thing I'd DEFINITELY recommend is a "request for discovery." Basically, you have the right to "discover" all of the evidence that is going to be used by the prosecutor against you, so that you can develop your case appropriately. (double check this for RI, but I'd be stunned if there isn't something similar.)

This accomplishes several things:

1. If you send this request by registered mail / a mail service (fed ex, ex) that issues a receipt, and you don't receive this information in a reasonable amount of time / don't receive it at all, you can request that the judge dismiss the case entirely. If he/she won't, you are at the very least entitled to the case being postponed, which decreases the chances that the cop will show up to prosecute you.

2. You can see the radar records, tuning fork records, the ticket itself, the officers notes, etc. and look for anomalies that might allow you a loophole to exploit.

3. It makes more work for the fuckhead cop that pulled you over in the first place.

Just look on the googles, you'll see a ton of stuff.

toggletoggle post by brian_dc  at Mar 22,2011 12:05pm
NH, Vermont, and Maine are the only decent states to drive in in New England.

When I'm driving in RI and MA I wish I had the ability to make people shit their pants at will.

Well, actually, I always wish I had that ability.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 22,2011 12:07pm
brodown said[orig][quote]
Pretty much all states exchange info now, and I'd ALWAYS recommend fighting a ticket.

There are a ton of websites out there filled with info that will help. One thing I'd DEFINITELY recommend is a "request for discovery." Basically, you have the right to "discover" all of the evidence that is going to be used by the prosecutor against you, so that you can develop your case appropriately. (double check this for RI, but I'd be stunned if there isn't something similar.)

This accomplishes several things:

1. If you send this request by registered mail / a mail service (fed ex, ex) that issues a receipt, and you don't receive this information in a reasonable amount of time / don't receive it at all, you can request that the judge dismiss the case entirely. If he/she won't, you are at the very least entitled to the case being postponed, which decreases the chances that the cop will show up to prosecute you.

2. You can see the radar records, tuning fork records, the ticket itself, the officers notes, etc. and look for anomalies that might allow you a loophole to exploit.

3. It makes more work for the fuckhead cop that pulled you over in the first place.

Just look on the googles, you'll see a ton of stuff.

this strategy is brilliant. i'll use it next time i get puled over.

toggletoggle post by arktouros at Mar 22,2011 12:08pm
brodown said[orig][quote]
I'd ALWAYS recommend fighting a ticket.

toggletoggle post by burnsy at Mar 22,2011 12:08pm
Definitely what Brodown said regarding the discovery request.

toggletoggle post by arilliusbm  at Mar 22,2011 12:10pm
I think I'm just going to print off my driving record and go to court with it so it doesnt show up on my insurance. Thanks for the info, though.
Fucking stupid..

toggletoggle post by conservationist  at Mar 22,2011 2:22pm
Speed tickets are gay. It's the fucking state taking the money it pays out to fat people in welfare.

toggletoggle post by dreadkill  at Mar 22,2011 2:24pm
i can get welfare just for being fat? i knew gaining weight would pay off somehow.

toggletoggle post by eddie  at Mar 22,2011 3:04pm
conservationist said[orig][quote]
Speed tickets are gay. It's the fucking state taking the money it pays out to fat people in welfare.

toggletoggle post by FuckIsMySignature at Mar 22,2011 3:07pm edited Mar 22,2011 3:08pm
i've had FAR too many tickets in teh past year. got out of one of them by saying "yes i know i was speeding and I'm sorry but I'm too broke to afford this ticket." Have a court day in May for the next one. ugh.

toggletoggle post by Yeti at Mar 22,2011 3:19pm
even if you don't compile any evidence, fight it anyways. if it's going to show up on your insurance then might as well get a lower fine. but if your driving record has been clear for years i bet it'll be thrown out. tell them you are a self-financed student, that's what got my last one cut to about 1/10th of what it was.

Enter a Quick Response (advanced response>>)
Username: (enter in a fake name if you want, login, or new user)SPAM Filter: re-type this (values are 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E, or F)
remember:slacker tracker is watching
[default homepage] [print][1:51:17am Mar 29,2024
load time 0.01492 secs/12 queries]
[search][refresh page]